PDA

View Full Version : Best Regular Media on Irish Football....

Junior
02/12/2009, 1:13 PM
Just looking for some suggestions on regular shows that fans watch/listen to on TV/Radio or read that are available online, that discuss various issues on the game we love - National Team/LOI/Irish Abroad etc..

What/Who are your favourites and where can you find them online?

Podcasts
Iplayer
Regular Newspaper columns etc..

Just been listening to the Newstalk Podcasts "Footbal with John Giles" and "The Off the Ball Football Show" - some good, some not so good.

Cheers in advance. Jnr

dan o d
02/12/2009, 1:38 PM
big fan of the "off the ball show" on newstalk
in terms of websites i think goal.com is better then skysports.com or football365.com, particulary in its analysis of international football

Leeside Swagger
02/12/2009, 2:11 PM
Guardians Football Weekly on Mondays and Thursdays gives good coverage to Irish Internationals in International weeks as many of their panelists are Irish. Its mostly Premiership etc during the season though.
Sport at 7 on radio 1 isnt bad, I normally flick between that and Newstalk, dont know if they have podcasts but you can listen online anyway.

tetsujin1979
02/12/2009, 2:52 PM
big fan of the "off the ball show" on newstalk
in terms of websites i think goal.com is better then skysports.com or football365.com, particulary in its analysis of international football
mentioning goal.com on some sites is a banning offence!

drummerboy
02/12/2009, 2:55 PM
I enjoy The Hub on Setanta. Presenters usually know what they are talking about and the guests are fairly good with the exception of Roy Curtis.

CarrickFan
02/12/2009, 3:41 PM
I enjoy The Hub on Setanta. Presenters usually know what they are talking about and the guests are fairly good with the exception of Roy Curtis.

Roy Curtis is the worst football "journalist" or "pundit" i have ever seen or read on any form of media anywhere in the world...and therefore is right at home with the sunday world.

NeilMcD
02/12/2009, 3:47 PM
I podcast John Giles on Newstalk and Off the Ball on Newstalk Sport on 7 on RTE and the Guardian Weekly Podcasts and The Game podcast from the Times also. World Football from the BBC is good too not for Irish football but just good for world football. Sportsweek on BBC Radio 5 is not bad either.

Straightstory
02/12/2009, 4:16 PM
There's a German fanzine that gives better coverage to the League of Ireland than any Irish newspaper. Says it all, really.

tiktok
02/12/2009, 4:38 PM
I think Philip Quinn, Emmet Malone and Eamonn Sweeney write very well on all Irish Football, both LoI and National team.

Though I hope they're not patting themselves on the back while they're reading the forum looking for scoops! :p

harpskid
02/12/2009, 4:47 PM
Big fan of Off The Ball on Newstalk - been dowloading a few of the podcasts lately too and found them a good listen at times, though not just brilliant.

In terms of the papers, find The Star very good for International stuff - Paul Lennon and Kieran Cunningham are usually a good read on International weeks. Probably the Star for the LOI too, best of a bad bunch mind you. Would also look out for Emmet Malone's writing in The Times.

bennocelt
02/12/2009, 4:52 PM
I think Philip Quinn, Emmet Malone and Eamonn Sweeney write very well on all Irish Football, both LoI and National team.

Though I hope they're not patting themselves on the back while they're reading the forum looking for scoops! :p

Yeah def agree here. Top drawer stuff

carloz
02/12/2009, 5:47 PM
Roy Curtis is the worst football "journalist" or "pundit" i have ever seen or read on any form of media anywhere in the world...and therefore is right at home with the sunday world.

Pun after pun after stupid bloody pun, A joke of a journalist who makes a show of himself consistently

elroy
03/12/2009, 9:29 AM
I think Liam Mackey is one of the best Irish journalists on the international team.

Am a fan of off the ball but is very much premiership focused. Decent coverage of international football in international weeks. Would like to see a show have a regular slot monitoring performance of Irish international players and up and coming players....the best and only example we have of this is the Times on a Monday.