PDA

View Full Version : Expectations for coming season

Breifne
06/03/2004, 11:38 AM
Just wondering what people reckon we can acheive this season.

What I think is the least which could be expected.

League: 8th (ahead of any two from Rovers, Waterford, Drogheda or Derry)
FAI Cup: Quarter Finals
League Cup: 2nd in Group

But I'd be delighted with the following:

League: 6th / 7th (ahead of all above)
FAI Cup: Semi Final
League Cup: Win Group

Ringo
06/03/2004, 5:36 PM
Its going to be tough. Don't really care about the cup or league cup. Just really want to stay up & not be in play offs.

Breifne
06/03/2004, 5:56 PM
Ringo, missed you at the game today, we won 3-2.
pretty scrapy, but two goals from Gary O'Neil and a winner from supersub Philip Hughes saw us edge it.

Looking good for the coming season.

Colm
07/03/2004, 1:45 PM
With any luck ye'll sink without a trace!

pineapple stu
07/03/2004, 1:55 PM
Don't want to jump on the anti-Dublin City bandwagon (not as if I can anyway!), but I thought youz were very poor on Saturday. The defence in particular looked very hesitant and should have done a lot more on both of our goals. Weren't too bad going forward - though I don't know what our defence was playing at - but there's a lot of improvement needed if you're giong to stay up, I think.

Breifne
07/03/2004, 4:22 PM
Originally posted by pineapple stu
The defence in particular looked very hesitant and should have done a lot more on both of our goals. Weren't too bad going forward - though I don't know what our defence was playing at - but there's a lot of improvement needed if you're giong to stay up, I think.

Fair comment, but with eight players kicking their heels injured on the line, I would be fairly confident of holding our own. Of the seven established defenders in the squad, five are currently unavailable. we had Paul Crowley and Barry Burke playing at the back, two central midfielders, I wouldn't be reaching for the panic button just yet.

There's a lot of football to be played this season, and I think the vikings can cause an upset or two.

Maynard
07/03/2004, 9:47 PM
Unfortunately couldn't make it to Belfield on Saturday as I had a game of my own, but was delighted to see the result on the teletext when I got home.

As far as our defence is concerned, I wouldn't be too worried as long as we can get a few of the boys off the injury list and back on the pitch.
Our defence was our stongest card last season, with goals being our main lack. With the buys Giller has made it seems that goals may be more frequent now, so if we can get our defenders fit and playing, we should have a sound team.

As for expectations I'd take 8th with no frills.

sadloserkid
08/03/2004, 10:59 AM
Well for what my opinion is worth (not as much as I'd like to be honest :)) I'd give you a fighting chance of avoiding the drop. Based on my limited exposure to Premier Division football football though I think you will find it tough. A good start is essential. I wouldn't be a fan of your gang by any stretch but I do admire the progress you've made and I wish you the best of luck for the upcoming season.

max power
08/03/2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Maynard
Unfortunately couldn't make it to Belfield on Saturday as I had a game of my own, but was delighted to see the result on the teletext when I got home.

As far as our defence is concerned, I wouldn't be too worried as long as we can get a few of the boys off the injury list and back on the pitch.
Our defence was our stongest card last season, with goals being our main lack. With the buys Giller has made it seems that goals may be more frequent now, so if we can get our defenders fit and playing, we should have a sound team.

As for expectations I'd take 8th with no frills.

strong defence last season ??? in division one maybe, when you come up against flynn, byrne,crowe, barrett etc it could be a very different story.....we are in the premier a few seasons now and i think we only have a good defence now, cause its their second season together at this level.....

what are yee like in the middle of the park ??? thats an area we are weak in i feel and could be our low point again this season...

Breifne
08/03/2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by max power
we are in the premier a few seasons now and i think we only have a good defence now, cause its their second season together at this level.....

what are yee like in the middle of the park ??? thats an area we are weak in i feel and could be our low point again this season...

As fair as the back goes, 2 Goalkeepers Brendan Kennedy & Robbie Horgan, I reckon are two of the best in the business in this country, I wouldn't swap them for anyone else in the league, no exceptions, both are class.

Last years back four are all kept, Toccy, Thomas, Derek and Wes are all in the squad, with the addition of Ben Whelehan, Alan Keely, and Pierre Ennis should be quite strong.

In the centre, we had a great set of lads last year, Barry Burke, Paul Crowley and Terry Gleeson were outstanding in the centre, and with the addition of Don Tierney and Jason Colwell in the centre we have that added bit of bite, Cathal O'Connor, Ray Scully and Killian Brennan should add a little bit of width, with Cottsy and Brennan especially chipping in with their fair share of strikes.

Up front was our dodgy area last year, we really struggled, and John appears to have rectified that with a number of new signings, Philip Hughes & Gary O'Neill have been lively in pre season, with Robbie Collins and Keith Maher progressing nicely. Robbie Farrell and Mick O'Byrne are both with the squad at the moment, and will be eager to tie down contracts. I don't think we will be too worries. I'm not expecting to set the world alight, but I think 8th place is not too unrealistic.

I would expect to take the following off each team

Win one home game
Bohemians 3 pts
Shelbourne 3 pts
Cork City 3 pts

1 Home Win, 1 Home Draw & 1 Away Draw
St Pats 5 pts
Shamrock Rovers 5 pts
Longford Town 5 pts

2 Home Wins, 1 Away Draw
Drogheda 7 pts
Waterford 7 pts
Derry 7 pts

Total of 45 points, good enough for 6th / 7th last season. I think that should be our target.

max power
08/03/2004, 11:48 AM
i think that set of results is a bit ahead of yourself, i'd go for more draws and not wins against the top 5, not too many teams go to dalymount or turners cross and leave with full points......tolka is your best chance to pick up points...don't drop home points and you have a chance.....

adamcarr
08/03/2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Breifne

[B]Win one home game
Bohemians 3 pts
Shelbourne 3 pts
Cork City 3 pts

Derry 7 pts

Not too sure if you will be able to get your points out of the first 3 maybe you will get 2 home draws.
And i doubt you be coming home from the brandywell with points this season!

pineapple stu
08/03/2004, 12:38 PM
That's a home record of P18 W12 D3 L3, which is completely unrealistic. Not even Shels or Bohs got that last year, I don't think. Even if you transfer some points into the away record (P18 W0 D6 L12), I still reckon it's far too optimistic. I think eighth is the highest youz can finish this season, bearing in mind how previous Division One champions (Waterford being the exception) of recent years have done.

Breifne
08/03/2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by adamcarr
Not too sure if you will be able to get your points out of the first 3 maybe you will get 2 home draws.
And i doubt you be coming home from the brandywell with points this season!

These are just targets, you know the old saying, if you reach for the stars you may catch the moon.

adamcarr
08/03/2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Breifne
you know the old saying, if you reach for the stars you may catch the moon.

NO!!:p