PDA

View Full Version : Expectations/satisfaction for the season?

patsh
05/03/2004, 7:21 PM
What are peoples expectations for the season?
What would you be satisfied with?
My , Expectations based on what I feel the team should be capable of:
League:
Not lose at home to Bohs, $h£ls, SPA and Mrs Brown's Boys .
10/11 points against Bohs, $h£ls, SPA and Mrs Brown's Boys AWAY.
Not drop points at home to Drogs, Home Farm and not be beaten by them away.
7 points from Longford, Derry games.
7 to 9 points from Waterford.
(A minimum of 55 to 57 points)

FA Cup:
Quarter-finals at least.

League Cup:
Out of the group, but not a major target.

I'd be Satisfied with:
League:
2nd in the league
(3rd if we are less than 6 points behind winners, and more than 6 points ahead of 4th)

FA Cup:
Semi-final.

League Cup:
Out of the group.

tiktok
05/03/2004, 9:02 PM
League:
Once we improve on last year, I'll be happy. I think we'll probably be in the shake-up for second.

FAI CUP:
I'd love to win it. We should be hitting the semi's depending on the draw

League Cup:
Couldn't care less

Europe
I'd hope we put up a good show and I'd like us to get through two rounds. Once we win a few games and put up a good show I'll be satisfied.

yiddo
06/03/2004, 10:19 AM
We must improve on last years league position. So 2nd place in the league is a minimum requirement. Hard to see it happening though as the squad looks unbalanced.Top heavy on attackers and lacking ball winners. The midfield is just not strong enough. Most of our midfielders are good or very good players but as a unit they don't appear to me to be a league winning midfield.As regards the rest the last trophy we won, apart from the annual Munster Cup win, was the League Cup in December 98. So winning the FAI cup or even the League Cup would represent some progress on the trophy front.

Roll on the 19th !

thecorner
06/03/2004, 10:25 AM
if dolan doesnt win the league or the f.a.i.cup, the season will have to be considered a failure

ian
06/03/2004, 10:35 AM
I hope that we will win the leauge and if not the F.A.I Cup.

thecorner
06/03/2004, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by ian
I hope that we will win the leauge and if not the F.A.I Cup.

would u consider it a failure if we failed to win any of these

SÓC
06/03/2004, 2:34 PM
Originally posted by thecorner
if dolan doesnt win the league or the f.a.i.cup, the season will have to be considered a failure

based on what? Neale Fenn and two first division players?:rolleyes:

Better than last season and put us in shape to challenge the following season.

thecorner
06/03/2004, 3:38 PM
Originally posted by SÓC

Better than last season and put us in shape to challenge the following season.

fcuk the following season

last season we won the munster senior cup i.e. we won nothing

so better than last season means winning a trophy in my eyes:rolleyes:

so winning nothing should be looked on as a failure

Colm
06/03/2004, 4:57 PM
so winning nothing should be looked on as a failure

I think that's putting unneccessary pressure on Dolan and the players really. Obviously we all want to win trophies but I think we might have to wait until the following season for our dominance to begin!

I'd be satisfied with a top three finish and good FAI cup run. I'd nearly prefer if we got knocked out of the league cup straight away as it only serves as a distraction from the league campaign.
I'd also hope to progress a round or two in Europe. Pat's and Rovers both got to the second round of the inter toto so it would be disappointing if we didn't.

A face
06/03/2004, 11:03 PM
fcuk the following season

The corner is dead right !!

Fcuk the next five years even ... i just wanna see us get it right off the pitch and put us in place to dominate for the next 10-20 years.

All the pressure should be put on efforts off the pitch, stability and progression is the name of the game.

It is a very young club and we need to run before we can walk. We need to look at the bigger picture. To be honest, the coaching is more important at this stage in the club.

Éanna
07/03/2004, 5:28 PM
I think we should be looking at 2nd in the league, at very worst a close 3rd. IMO if we finish more than 10 points off top it will not have been a good season. I'm not too bothered about the cups, but if we were to win one of them it would be a bonus.

razor
08/03/2004, 7:37 AM
If we don't expect to be successful in every competition we enter then I don't believe we have the right mindset here.

We should expect to bring trophies back to Leeside, every year.

And as for extra pressure on Dolan, what about it, he should be under pressure to win stuff.
I think he does realise it cause he has said it enough times, that we are a big club, but we are also a big club who hasn't won the League in 11 years and the Cup in 6.

I mean we will see over the course of the season how things pan out but we need to be positive that we can win things.

liamon
08/03/2004, 8:26 AM
While a cup run would be nice, I'd be happy with an improvement in our league position. That might not necessarily involve us finishing first or second. As long as we're chalenging at the end of the season, I'll be content.

bert
08/03/2004, 8:32 AM
Originally posted by what biy!
give the lads some time to breed

:confused: :confused: :confused:

adamcarr
08/03/2004, 8:34 AM
i think we can get this amount of points from the following teams
Bohs 7
Shels 8
Longf 10
Water 8
Derry 8
Dublin 12
Shams 10
Drogs 10
Pats 10
Overall 73

Fai Cup- Quater Finals at least

League Cup- Dont Care

Inter toto Cup- 1 or 2 Rounds

thecorner
08/03/2004, 8:37 AM
Originally posted by what biy!
give the lads some time to breed. HOPEFULLY

never knew people of the same sex could breed:D

drinkfeckarse
08/03/2004, 10:21 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Colm
[B]I think that's putting unneccessary pressure on Dolan and the players really. Obviously we all want to win trophies but I think we might have to wait until the following season for our dominance to begin!

Football is all about pressure and being able to handle it. The reason Dolan was appointed was to win trophies so of course it should be looked upon as failure if he doesn't deliver. Hoping for 2nd place is not what supporters should be looking for. I think it's fair to say City have some cracking players so why shouldn't people expect success? Demand it!! Too big a club to settle for anything less and been under-achieving for far too long.

pete
08/03/2004, 10:45 AM
League is all that really matters & Cup only important when nothing left to play for in the league.

Need to show improved consistency particularily at home.
More confidence away from home against 2 lesser" teams.
Hold our own home & away against Bohs & Shel$.
More wins, less draws.
More goals at home.

SÓC
08/03/2004, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by drinkfeckarse

Football is all about pressure and being able to handle it. The reason Dolan was appointed was to win trophies so of course it should be looked upon as failure if he doesn't deliver. Hoping for 2nd place is not what supporters should be looking for. I think it's fair to say City have some cracking players so why shouldn't people expect success? Demand it!! Too big a club to settle for anything less and been under-achieving for far too long.

Dolan was appointed to win trophies. He wasnt appointed to work miracles. Go look at least years league table. If we win the league this season it will be a bonus. We shouldnt expect it. The man who appointed Dolan has set out his plan. Both Lennox and Dolan are aiming for the 2005 season.

We as supporters should too.

drinkfeckarse
08/03/2004, 12:05 PM
So you think it would be a "miracle" if City won the league!? A team that has some of the finest young talent in the league shouldn't expect to win things?
Dolan seems to be on the right road in fairness, all I'm saying is that the team has consistently under-achieved and for a club it's size and with the crowds they get then they should expect success year in, year out. There's no point in "hoping" for an improvement, expect it.

liamon
08/03/2004, 12:22 PM
We probably have the best attacking combo in the league. Excellent options on the wings and up front. So, should we win the league?

Given our midfield, dodgy defence and a crocked JOF, then we should certainly win the league. And the 'toto cup. And I can't wait til we destroy Barca in the UEFA cup final.

Realistically, I don't think we're ready to win the league this year. Maybe if our midfield was to work out we could do it, but I doubt it.

It's a building process. Rome/day and all that.

SÓC
08/03/2004, 12:55 PM
So you think it would be a "miracle" if City won the league!? A team that has some of the finest young talent in the league shouldn't expect to win things?
Dolan seems to be on the right road in fairness, all I'm saying is that the team has consistently under-achieved and for a club it's size and with the crowds they get then they should expect success year in, year out. There's no point in "hoping" for an improvement, expect it.

But where did I say I hope for improvement? I expect it. I demand it. I just dont think it'll happen over night.

Like I say all we've added to our squad is Neale Fenn and a few players unproven in the Premier Division.

We have great young players. Nobody is doubting that but young players must get experience. This team wouldnt be used to the pressure say if we were playing Bohs at the Cross on the last day of the season with a chance to win the league. Boh are used to that. This team has not under achieved at all. Our Club has.

Nobody would be happier than me if we were to win. I've put money on us to win because I do think we are a good outside bet. But I do not expect us to win the league.

As for cups you can never tell.

Éanna
08/03/2004, 2:20 PM
The key to the argument is when you said "young talent"- I don't think we have the experience to win a league yet. We should be there or thereabouts, but I think we might fall just a bit short.

He is on the right road- both he and Lennox have said they wanted to get things right off the pitch first in order to then get them right on the pitch as well- off the pitch things have shaped up very nicely over the last year, and on the pitch we can be far away. Dolan has only been in the job a year, and he had to sort out 4 or 5 years of neglect on and off the pitch before he could get it right. He's doing ok, but this season has to be an improvement.

drinkfeckarse
08/03/2004, 2:39 PM
I don't expect City to win the league this year either, I take the point that it'll take time. I did mean the club has under achieved rather than the team. All I'm saying is that there's no harm in expecting success. I don't believe it would put any more pressure on the players or management for them to know that their supporters expect it, in fact it would probably give them the kick up the arse they sometimes need. If they can't handle the pressure then obviously they're not the right players for City. It's about time we broke the jackeen stranglehold. As for the young players needing experiance, "if you're good enough, you're old enough" is the old saying. Alan Hansen found that out to his cost a few years ago when he said "you'll never win anything with kids".

oú est j.cotter
08/03/2004, 2:39 PM
to win the league the main thing city will have to change is their movement of the ball. last season they weren't able to play the ball up the pitch but instead resorted to hoofing, trying the wings the whole time, or knocking it about the back for a while and then hoofing it. last season the central midfielders seemed incapable of looking for a pass and then playing some constructive football, hopefully this will have changed. imo, it'll have to have if we're to see any silverware.

Ozymandias
08/03/2004, 4:44 PM
Turners cross must become a place the other clubs hate coming to and a bit of a fortress...we gave up too many easy points at home last year and never really threatened the top two there either

If the home form is good and we have away form similar to last year we will be in the shake upand that is a fact

Expectations for the palyers must beto win something...If they don't have this atitude then they should go to waterford or drogheda or some place

we are a progressive club so lets progress