PDA

View Full Version : Italy to wear green at World Cup?

tetsujin1979
29/11/2009, 4:49 PM
convinced I heard this on the radio during the week, but I can't find the story online.

Apparently, one of the members of the Italian parliament has requested that the Italian second strip for the World Cup, traditionally white, be changed to green because Henry's cheating will have been forgotten outside this island by the time the World Cup rolls around.

Anyone else hear it?

paul_oshea
29/11/2009, 4:53 PM
fair play to them. shows how much they hate the french and how much they respect trap.

Stuttgart88
29/11/2009, 5:09 PM
Dara O'Briain suggested France wear green at the WC!

Pauro 76
29/11/2009, 5:12 PM
Nice idea. Our flags are pretty similar too.... and I'm sure the Italians would welcome our support.

Kingdom
29/11/2009, 5:21 PM
convinced I heard this on the radio during the week, but I can't find the story online.

Apparently, one of the members of the Italian parliament has requested that the Italian second strip for the World Cup, traditionally white, be changed to green because Henry's cheating will have been forgotten outside this island by the time the World Cup rolls around.

Anyone else hear it?

Yup definitely heard it Tets. Possibly on Newstalk. Think it was in solidarity with Trapattoni.

carloz
29/11/2009, 5:31 PM
That would be fantastic. Id hate for this to be completly forgotten about by the time the world cup comes around. Something like this will hopefully keep our robbery in everyones mind and stick two fingers up at FIFA

Torn-Ado
29/11/2009, 5:39 PM
I found the Italians to be in complete contrast to the French during the campaign. Maybe it was down to the Trappatoni factor but either way, their players, media and fans behaved with dignity and respect on the occassions we played them and alway talked us up.

The French were C**** to be honest.

I hope they really go ahead with this Green shirt thing.

Razors left peg
29/11/2009, 6:17 PM
As far as I know it was the Italian defense Minister that said it. Lovely idea but I would imagine that he Italian World Cup kits would be designed already?

Torn-Ado
29/11/2009, 6:24 PM
As far as I know it was the Italian defense Minister that said it. Lovely idea but I would imagine that he Italian World Cup kits would be designed already?

True and on second thoughts green might be a bit too similar a colour to have as a second kit.

Emmet7
29/11/2009, 7:45 PM
At least the Italians aren't going to forget about it, unlike some Irish 'fans' who are going around telling everyone to forget about it, what's done is done and all that nonsense.

The Italians don't take things lying down.

elroy
29/11/2009, 8:04 PM
Def heard this somewhere over the last few days, thought it was a done decision. I'll be supporting the Italians next summer anyways, they were very supportive of us in Bari.

Junior
29/11/2009, 8:25 PM
a couple of good banners at the world cup would be nice. For you creative types on here,surely FIFA could be used as a good acronym for err....their fair play ethos?

Or perhaps a few of Henrys quotes on fair play.....

Murfinator
29/11/2009, 9:01 PM
At least the Italians aren't going to forget about it, unlike some Irish 'fans' who are going around telling everyone to forget about it, what's done is done and all that nonsense.

There's nothing more frustrating than the posters on this forum telling people to "forget about it", "move on", "old news" etc. People in the media or casual supporters I can accept but the injustice that was done should not be something that could be swept under the rug so easily for any avid supporter of the team, nobody should be telling anyone any of those things here of all places.

Sure complaining about it isn't going to get the match the replayed, but if its kept in discussion and kept in mind it will continue to reflect poorly on FIFA, it will continue to raise demand for TMO's and it will continue to raise questions about FIFA's governing of the sport.

Murfinator
29/11/2009, 9:07 PM
Def heard this somewhere over the last few days, thought it was a done decision. I'll be supporting the Italians next summer anyways, they were very supportive of us in Bari.

I've been to both countries and while both countries think very highly of their national and always believe they are going to win but I think their attitudes are very different.
When Italy play, their fans are confident. When they win they cheer in delight, when they lose they hang their head in sorrow.
When France play, their fans are arrogant. When they win they boast and mock the loser, when they lose they get angry and blame the coach/team.

Same in Rugby, actually, very unlikable sports mentality in france, much like with Turkey or England.

Crosby87
29/11/2009, 9:13 PM

My Irish Grandfather might disagree with you, believe he was dressed in an olive green around 1944....:)

gufcfan
29/11/2009, 9:49 PM
fair play to them. shows how much they hate the french and how much they respect trap.I know a few Italians and all of them told me, in general, Trap is thought of as an idiot.

I asked one guy what he thought of Trap's English and that I thought it had come on well since the last time I heard him (this was a while back).

The guy's response was... "ENGLISH? He can barely speaking ****ing Italian!"

Don't shoot the messenger. I'm only telling you what they said.

Junior
29/11/2009, 10:14 PM
a couple of good banners at the world cup would be nice. For you creative types on here,surely FIFA could be used as a good acronym for err....their fair play ethos?

Financial
Implications?
Fairplay?
Afterthought

not great, Im sure some of ye could come up with much better

Kingdom
29/11/2009, 10:14 PM

Forget Ireland, Forgive Arrogance?

Scooby Doo
29/11/2009, 10:49 PM
Not great but....
For
Ireland
Friendlies
Await?

or

France - :o

Ireland - :mad:

Fifa - :D

Adidas - $$$$$$$

Riddickcule
29/11/2009, 10:57 PM
Dara O'Briain suggested France wear green at the WC!
I hate that chap with a passion, always banging on about how much he hates the Arsenal at the back of the Guardian's sport section.

Junior
29/11/2009, 10:58 PM
France - :o

Ireland - :mad:

Fifa - :D

Adidas - $$$$$$$

I like it!

bennocelt
29/11/2009, 11:37 PM

Anyone else hear it?

Bit funny an Italian going on about cheating, when they ruined the last world cup for a lot of people with all there diving and falling around on the ground

Emmet7
30/11/2009, 12:10 AM
I know a few Italians and all of them told me, in general, Trap is thought of as an idiot.

I asked one guy what he thought of Trap's English and that I thought it had come on well since the last time I heard him (this was a while back).

The guy's response was... "ENGLISH? He can barely speaking ****ing Italian!"

Don't shoot the messenger. I'm only telling you what they said.

Yeh give me a guy who can speak perfect English and Italian anyday over someone with a proven record in management.

NeilMcD
30/11/2009, 1:27 AM
I hate that chap with a passion, always banging on about how much he hates the Arsenal at the back of the Guardian's sport section.

He supports Arsenal though.

Bluebeard
30/11/2009, 7:04 AM
From all the comments coming from FIFA over the match, for us it can be taken as:

Forget
It
France
Advanced

Personally, I think it should be let lie, and the only conspiracy was in the draw being changed. What should not be let lie is Blatter's statements on cheating, if they are as I have read from others on this forum (haven't clicked the links yet). There is a degree of cheating in all sports where an advantage can be gained by it. However, it is up to the organising body to attempt to stamp it out, and to set an example. Henry should be punished retrospectively, or at the very least, things put in place for the retrospective sanctioning of players for such behaviour. Blatter should not be making it "alright".

This post may be edited when I get a chance to read the Blatter comments for myself.

EDIT: No change for now as only minimal comments to be found.

gspain
30/11/2009, 7:30 AM
Blatter + Henry = FIFA Fair Play.

Scooby Doo
30/11/2009, 8:15 AM
Actually, if you add and take away a few letters, you get -

Fair
Play
My
Arse
Ireland
Were
Robbed
By
F*cking
Cheating
Henry's
Handball
And
Sepp
Blatter's
Incredible
Lack
Of
Integrity

:cool:

Stuttgart88
30/11/2009, 8:53 AM
Mick McCarthy's post match reaction was to say that in his tenure FIFA stood for Forget Irish Football Altogether.

CJTheGull
30/11/2009, 9:33 AM

Fascist dictatorships perhaps? :D

Only joking, yeah nice idea - they might even sell a few in Champions Sports!

Gather round
30/11/2009, 9:50 AM
All 32 finalists in 'wearing of the green':

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/foyle_and_west/8377375.stm

Titan
30/11/2009, 10:27 AM
Its a nice idea but the italy world cup kits have already been designedand are in production so unless someone in puma is psychic I don't think it'll happen. I think the keepers shirt is green so they could wear that!

twoenz
30/11/2009, 12:19 PM

As a country that is renowned for being less than honest in terms of football, I'd have thought they'd be walking out to La Marseillaise.

Emmet7
30/11/2009, 12:59 PM
They could wear green armbands maybe and hold a minute's silence before their first game in rememberance of the integrity of the game.

Then let the showbiz begin.

jo84
30/11/2009, 4:22 PM
As Mick McCarthy said last week:

Forget
Irish
Football
Altogether

Fixer82
30/11/2009, 6:03 PM
would love to see it but is green not a bit too close to blue for it to be an effective away jersey?

Sicuani
30/11/2009, 11:19 PM

Anyone else hear it?

Source?

tetsujin1979
30/11/2009, 11:43 PM
Almost certain it was NewsTalk, that's usually what I listen to on the radio, and others have said they heard it too