PDA

View Full Version : Why do you love football?

Pages : [1] 2

Lamper.sffc
28/11/2009, 1:00 AM
Simple enough question. But im sure there are different answers. God knows we argue about it enough but why do we love it.

**FrOsTy**
28/11/2009, 1:02 AM
Is this why we love football now or why we love our football as in LOI?

Lamper.sffc
28/11/2009, 1:06 AM
Is this why we love football now or why we love our football as in LOI?

just football

holidaysong
28/11/2009, 1:06 AM
Most of the time I come away from Dundalk games hating football..

Lamper.sffc
28/11/2009, 1:10 AM

But doesnt the hurt make the fun times better?

robbieos88
28/11/2009, 2:15 AM
I love football because I love traveling the country supporting my team win, lose or draw and knowing that I'm a part of the club and they notice the fans unlike English football.

SligoBrewer
28/11/2009, 3:05 AM
As he just started the exact same thread on Boards I'm guessing the OP is doing his homework or something..

thischarmingman
28/11/2009, 5:28 AM

This. Football is the most devastatingly unfair thing in my life. All it does is make me upset, annoyed, frustrated,

I could still almost cry when I think about things like losing the league in Cork in 2005, losing it on goal difference the following year, and losing the cup on penalties last year not to mention all the defeats and disappointments in between. Even Limerick winning the League Cup in 2002 still annoys me. It's a toxic relationship...:mad:

fionnsci
28/11/2009, 7:48 AM
footballs great......

and you forgot yisser question mark.

bennocelt
28/11/2009, 8:04 AM
Just do - its hard to explain really. How do you explain what love is? Same thing!

Sam_Heggy
28/11/2009, 9:42 AM
The women, I mean the Glory, I mean the Yorkies :confused: Ah it's the standing out in freezing weather (mid June) watching your team ah urm......

So what's this football you talk of?

Mr A
28/11/2009, 11:09 AM
For me, it's as much about the club as the football itself. And the fact that now and again, against all odds and previous experience, your team hits the heights and smites the bejesus out of a team they shouldn't be able to live with.

dcfcsteve
28/11/2009, 12:13 PM
This. Football is the most devastatingly unfair thing in my life. All it does is make me upset, annoyed, frustrated,

I could still almost cry when I think about things like losing the league in Cork in 2005, losing it on goal difference the following year, and losing the cup on penalties last year not to mention all the defeats and disappointments in between. Even Limerick winning the League Cup in 2002 still annoys me. It's a toxic relationship...:mad:

I didn't expect us to win in Cork in 2005, losing the cup on penos last year was tough - but that League Cup loss in 2002 was just all wrong ! Still gives me nightmares.

Not to mention St Joseph's Boys in the cup......!

sligoman
28/11/2009, 12:32 PM
that now and again, against all odds and previous experience, your team hits the heights and smites the bejesus out of a team they shouldn't be able to live with.Is it not Finn Harps you support?:confused: ;)

Riddickcule
28/11/2009, 1:44 PM
It's the most important of the most unimportant things in life.

Pauro 76
28/11/2009, 3:07 PM
Should this thread be under this forum? Just wondering. Anyway the reason I love football.... The banter with the fans, the spontaneity of making up chants, the craic with your fellow fans after the game, pride in your team/town. So many things.

Sean South
28/11/2009, 3:29 PM
If it was just a love of football you would be better of staying at home watching TV getting the best views, replays etc. But when you actually support a team week in week out out on the terraces you fall in love with much more then just football...

passinginterest
28/11/2009, 3:52 PM
It had a lot too do with this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Sca7Zbsh_U
when I was 5, my first real football memory and first favourite player

Then this when I was seven:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gaj2vONg67I
The penos not the film! It was the only clip I could find.

How anyone of my generation doesn't love football I'll never know.

Bluebeard
29/11/2009, 8:45 AM
I think that, among the other things like the beauty and skill of the game when played well (when I am watching a game on the continent, say) and the emotional roller coaster that it is, the most important things for me is the sense of community among the fans. I became a bit of a people watcher over the years, and being a part of it is a large part of why I go to games.

To be honest, I seldom watch football on TV any more: highlights are about the height of it if it doesn't involve the Blues or Ireland, and the Euro Nations and World Cup. Watching on TV in the absense of the actual bustle (or not) of loyal fans feels quite diningenuous to me. I'll go to any random game near me, but watching it on TV is just not the same. And I think that when I realised this, I realised that the fans are really what make the game what it is.

sheao
29/11/2009, 1:29 PM
I love football because there is no better feeling than seeing the team you support win. Football also brings you to so many places and you meet many people who you would probably not if it was'nt for football.

peadar1987
29/11/2009, 6:39 PM
To paraphrase John Nicholson of football365:

Football can encompass every emotion known to man. The worst of games still contains elation, despair, rage, fear, crippling tension and relief. If a film ever did any of this half as well it would be a shoe-in for the academy awards.

osarusan
29/11/2009, 6:58 PM
The worst of games still contains elation, despair, rage, fear, crippling tension and relief.
The worst of games was Limerick 0-0 Athlone early on this (last?) season, and it contained none of those things. It contained nothing at all.

thischarmingman
29/11/2009, 7:11 PM
The worst of games still contains elation, despair, rage, fear, crippling tension and relief.

Sounds like my bedroom technique...:o

Hitman
30/11/2009, 9:26 AM
Stupidness.

Ronnie
01/12/2009, 9:42 AM
Because Daddy gives you a ball and wonders if your right or left footed, the first day you walk. He then brings you to the local club and explains the difference between right and wrong - basically all other clubs are wrong and were the only ones that are right and that our neighbours have in fact been in league with the devil and bought every ref since 1986 and that most of them are decendents of the tans. After that its a doddle!

Dillo
01/12/2009, 10:10 AM
Identity, unity, pride, passion, emotion, opinion, the twelfth man, the banter, a meaning and struture to your life.

Despite all this, football is still only a game; a temporary respite from the trials and tribulations of daily life but never a substitute for having a life. It can be a gloriously enthralling, passionate, unpredictable and utterly intoxicating game, but a game of two halves is all it can ever be

Mad Moose
01/12/2009, 12:37 PM
For me, it's as much about the club as the football itself. And the fact that now and again, against all odds and previous experience, your team hits the heights and smites the bejesus out of a team they shouldn't be able to live with.

Aaah Derry City. Remember when they used try and look down upon us. :D

Bluebeard
01/12/2009, 1:37 PM
Because Daddy gives you a ball and wonders if your right or left footed, the first day you walk. He then brings you to the local club and explains the difference between right and wrong - basically all other clubs are wrong and were the only ones that are right and that our neighbours have in fact been in league with the devil and bought every ref since 1986 and that most of them are decendents of the tans. After that its a doddle!

Didn't know you were a Blues fan too;)

the-blue-harp
02/12/2009, 4:45 PM
Simple enough question. But im sure there are different answers. God knows we argue about it enough but why do we love it.

that is like asking why is the sky blue :D

Acornvilla
02/12/2009, 4:53 PM
Because i hate G.A.A!!!!!!!!!!

the-blue-harp
02/12/2009, 4:53 PM
It had a lot too do with this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Sca7Zbsh_U
when I was 5, my first real football memory and first favourite player

Then this when I was seven:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gaj2vONg67I
The penos not the film! It was the only clip I could find.

How anyone of my generation doesn't love football I'll never know.

hey i was 5 at the time of euro 88 but i cannot for the life of me remember it.
my first memory of watchin football was the cameroon v argentina game world cup 1990 opener, it was on a friday night after paino lessons which i flipping hated!! then roger milla's celebrations is what got me interested as well as the ireland factor. im sure i was kicking a ball about at school before this but this is my first vivid memory of football. although i was told i was at harps games in the 80's i dont remember that either, maybe i hit my head somewhere along the way:D

OwlsFan
29/04/2010, 9:16 AM

I think I've answered your question here.

http://foot.ie/threads/134612-Why-I-love-football

No matter what team it is, from your local team in the park to Sporting Fingal, Barcelona or Ireland, it is a form of madness which usually punishes us but occasionally, just occasionally, gives you that high, that moment of ecstacy. As I said, a bit like marriage.

Real ale Madrid
29/04/2010, 9:39 AM
I love the game itself - first and foremost. Thats the important thing. I love watching most sports. I enjoy the tactics involved, I enjoy the decision making, the techniques required etc, everything about the game. As a result of loving the game - I love to see the game played to the highest possible level locally - which is why I've loved Cork City from such a young age. I've always had an unexplainable passion to see them do well - from when I dragged my Dad to a Cup game 20 years ago, to this day. Weather I'm playing, coaching, learning, watching, in person or on TV, betting or being involved in any way with football, I'm happy.

The cameraderie, the emotional highs and lows and songs etc - all that stuff while great - I've always felt I could take it or leave it, because people come and go - players come and go and even these days clubs come and go. The game is what's important.

And thats another reason why i love the domestic game so much - its a much purer form of the game. Money seems to have corrupted the top level with gamesmansship, cheating, greed and sterility - and while watching the premiership and the champs league etc is still enjoyable ( last night was a cracker btw ) some of the heart and soul has gone out of the game.

For example - look at the race for 4th place in England these days - can you imagine such a clamour for 4th, 10 odd years ago. - When I think of 4th - I think - losers - yet there is glory in 4th these days because of the money involved.

Dodge
29/04/2010, 10:10 AM
Followers of TV football don't count. its just different. Not saying you can't enjoy it, and I don't mind anyone doing it but its 100% different. My missus can watch Barcelona play and enjoy the spectacle. The movement, the artistry, the technique. She doesn't understand football though

I love everything about supporting Pats. From getting the fixtures and planning holidays around it. Getting excited at each rumour linking us to a top player. Trying to convince myself the donkey we've signed "will do a job". Going to pre-season games infront of 100 people and being genuinely excited to be "back". Proclaiming someone who scores in that pre-season kick about as "the new Gormley". 25 minutes later calling the same lad "the new Sean Mannion" and apologising to Gormley. Being anxious to see what the new kit looks ike and praying it doesn't have a big green blob on it. I love the lead up to the opening game of the season. Collecting my season ticket. First pint in Mcdowells with friends you haven't seen in months. Getting the programme and realising that a player you hate has signed for "them". I love being in Richmond Park despite its obvious flaws. I love the feeling of relief everytime the keeper catches an "up and under". I love the banter. I love screaming abuse at a player because 6 years ago he scored against us and stuck his fingers up at Pats fans. I love my centre midfielders clattering into tackles. I love a winger beating 2 and whipping a ball to the back post. I love handy victories. I love my stomache being in knots for the week leading up to big games. I love getting the bus to away games and drinking until I'm stupidly drunk, I love overnighting in towns around Ireland. I love watching Cup draws. I love getting a home draw. I love getting an away draw and convincing myself it'll be a great trip. I love the feeling of unity as fans walk towards turnstiles. I love last minute winners, I love last minute equalisers more. I love wearing a Pats t-shirt or jersey abroad and having great conversation with random Europeans about football. I love that Paul McGrath played for Pats. I love biting my nails when we have our backs to the wall defending a lead. I love seeing a guy in a Rovers top the day after beating them and having a smug grin on me. I love knowing he knows why I'm smiling too. I love going to places like Riga, Berlin, Gothenburg, Odense. I love reading old programmes. Ilove re-watching Pats goals on the internet over and over again. I love watching Soccer Saturday on Sky and seeing players who played for Pats pop up as scorers in the Scottish first division (and similar). I love knowing that even when we're **** we're still the best club around. I love boring the pants off people on the internet writing long winded love letters to Pats and football. I love being a part of a footballing community. I love being a football fan.

gspain
29/04/2010, 10:25 AM

Sweet.

In answer to the question because of nights like that.

It is the world game. It is played absolutely everywhere and the whole world watches. Nothing even comes close in this country or others to major football matches.
Our World Cup appearances were far far bigger than things such as Heineken Cups, Grand Slams, Padriag Harrington, Stephen Roche etc with all due respects to their fantastic achivements in their sports.

SupaJon
29/04/2010, 10:40 AM
Followers of TV football don't count. its just different. Not saying you can't enjoy it, and I don't mind anyone doing it but its 100% different. My missus can watch Barcelona play and enjoy the spectacle. The movement, the artistry, the technique. She doesn't understand football though

I love everything about supporting Pats. From getting the fixtures and planning holidays around it. Getting excited at each rumour linking us to a top player. Trying to convince myself the donkey we've signed "will do a job". Going to pre-season games infront of 100 people and being genuinely excited to be "back". Proclaiming someone who scores in that pre-season kick about as "the new Gormley". 25 minutes later calling the same lad "the new Sean Mannion" and apologising to Gormley. Being anxious to see what the new kit looks ike and praying it doesn't have a big green blob on it. I love the lead up to the opening game of the season. Collecting my season ticket. First pint in Mcdowells with friends you haven't seen in months. Getting the programme and realising that a player you hate has signed for "them". I love being in Richmond Park despite its obvious flaws. I love the feeling of relief everytime the keeper catches an "up and under". I love the banter. I love screaming abuse at a player because 6 years ago he scored against us and stuck his fingers up at Pats fans. I love my centre midfielders clattering into tackles. I love a winger beating 2 and whipping a ball to the back post. I love handy victories. I love my stomache being in knots for the week leading up to big games. I love getting the bus to away games and drinking until I'm stupidly drunk, I love overnighting in towns around Ireland. I love watching Cup draws. I love getting a home draw. I love getting an away draw and convincing myself it'll be a great trip. I love the feeling of unity as fans walk towards turnstiles. I love last minute winners, I love last minute equalisers more. I love wearing a Pats t-shirt or jersey abroad and having great conversation with random Europeans about football. I love that Paul McGrath played for Pats. I love biting my nails when we have our backs to the wall defending a lead. I love seeing a guy in a Rovers top the day after beating them and having a smug grin on me. I love knowing he knows why I'm smiling too. I love going to places like Riga, Berlin, Gothenburg, Odense. I love reading old programmes. Ilove re-watching Pats goals on the internet over and over again. I love watching Soccer Saturday on Sky and seeing players who played for Pats pop up as scorers in the Scottish first division (and similar). I love knowing that even when we're **** we're still the best club around. I love boring the pants off people on the internet writing long winded love letters to Pats and football. I love being a part of a footballing community. I love being a football fan.

Great post!

marinobohs
29/04/2010, 10:49 AM

Any sport anywhere that generates passion like that quoted has got to be special. The fact that most of us on here understand 100% what Dodge posted and agree with it (and that it may sound mad to non believers) thats what I love about football :D class post Dodge.

gspain
29/04/2010, 10:54 AM
I always liked the Nick Horby quote

On being a football fan: "I am aware of the downside to this wonderful
facility that men have: they become repressed, they fail in their
relationships with women,their conversation is trivial and boorish, they
find themselves unable to express their emotional needs, they cannot relate
to their children, and die lonely and miserable. But you know, what the hell?"
Nick Hornby

Brusher
29/04/2010, 12:20 PM
Dodge, superb summary ! I just found myself nodding in agreement at every point you mentioned....substituting Bohs for Pats of course.

Tallaght Saint
29/04/2010, 12:25 PM

Beautiful post Dodge :ball:

Brusher
29/04/2010, 12:33 PM
Superb, Dodge ! Sums us all up I reckon ! As a Bohs fan since 1981 obviously I've gone though the mill until the last 10 years, so I have a huge admiration for the die hards from our less successful clubs, and those like Athlone Town who saw great years in the '80's, but may never see again.

Magicme
29/04/2010, 2:49 PM
Dodge, you brought a tear to my eye. Replace Richmond with Gortakeegan and add in that we have no fans and no european adventures and you have taken it from my heart. Its the essence of why to a man and woman we will defend our league to non believers and why we bore everyone to death who doesnt understand. Thanks Dodge.

bennocelt
29/04/2010, 2:58 PM
And thats another reason why i love the domestic game so much - its a much purer form of the game. Money seems to have corrupted the top level with gamesmansship, cheating, greed and sterility - and while watching the premiership and the champs league etc is still enjoyable ( last night was a cracker btw ) some of the heart and soul has gone out of the game.

Yeah agree, its the heart and soul of the game. Its like our own select club (loi fans), no one likes us but we dont care.
I think and breathe football. Try and get to as many games as I can in the LOi, all over the place. Love the pre match banter, love seeing the irish style grounds, and love thats its our league.
Its only a shame that my town (Mullingar) doesnt have senior foootball, or junior by the looks of it. I really envy all of ye guys that have clubs to support.
Aside from that I have coached adult and underage teams, but as I am not settled yeat (workwise) I am not doing anything like that at the moment - but hope to pick it up again in the future
Playing wise Im way gone, but who knows.....................might make a come back next year.....................;)

McDee
29/04/2010, 4:03 PM
I like football because my friend told me it was good and I hadn't the brain to do anything but believe him. Sad in ways ...

sligo23
29/04/2010, 5:01 PM
Talking through your arse again Dodge..

Martinho II
29/04/2010, 5:02 PM
superb post dodge.. I was never blessed to communicate in words that best sum my feelings but i agree with every aspect of your post ... Its why I love the league and the people that support it and play it and why I have lifelong friendships with fans on this site ..

if there was no loi i would have no life end of story..

Acornvilla
29/04/2010, 10:06 PM

I want to have your babys

Paddyfield
29/04/2010, 10:26 PM
Good call Dodge.
Many is the time i have spotted a fellow LOI fan on a non-match day wearing a scarf or badge, and I will start up a conversation. I saw a Rovers fan with a Hoops baseball cap in Hawaii when I was on honeymoon and we had a great chat. I purposely sat beside a Pat's fan on the Luas just because he had a Pat's scarf and we also had a great chat. More recently, I spotted 2 Dundalk fans having lunch in Galway on the day they were playing in Terryland and ditto.

I still don't know why I love football though.

sheao
29/04/2010, 10:47 PM
Love football as it brings out so many emotions in you , From a fantastic victory to a heartbreaking loss. From the moment the final whistle blows in one game,you are looking forward to the next game already .For many supporting a football team is'nt just about going to the games, it's also a lifestyle .Through following Cork City i have been to loads of new places and met new people aswell.

PartySaint
30/04/2010, 12:19 AM
Time to give up Dodge because you will never have a better post on foot.ie:D

Top class stuff and on the eve of a Dublin derby makes it more special