PDA

View Full Version : We have a defender, a winger and an attacker lined up....

dr_peepee
27/11/2009, 8:53 AM
A quote from Trapp used on another thread. Just thought I'd start this one from a purely speculative perspective. Nothing about the merrits of 2nd generation selection or ignoring top LOI players.

Just putting it out there to see if anyone can cite some current players that would fit the mould of no senior competitive International starts playing in the premiership that would improve the squad (excluding current U21s). Even if it's wishfull thinking at this stage and doesn't include a defender Winger or attcker. We're gravitating toward the Irish names like Cahill etc, but there's nothing Irish sounding about St Ledger.

Nolan, O'Hara, Naughton has been bantered about. I seriously doubt they're looking at McSheffrey at this stage. Any one else he could be talking about? Turner from Sunderland maybe??

Yard of Pace
27/11/2009, 9:34 AM
but there's nothing Irish sounding about St Ledger.

There was an Anthony St. Ledger who was Lord Deputy of Ireland in the 16th Century. He probably has descendents all over the country ;) St. Ledger is an old anglo-Irish name.

Wangball
27/11/2009, 9:38 AM
Any one else he could be talking about? Turner from Sunderland maybe??

Has he got any links??

In the other thread I speculated about Matthew Connolly, a former Arsenal trainee who played under Brady there, he'd been in youth squads before and then got called into the England U21's, I reckon Matthew Kilgallon from Sheffield United is another possible in defence....its questionable whether either is any better than what we have now ourselves though. Naughton would be a real asset though if he switches.

My guess is that Hogan Ephraim is the winger...made it known last year that he was eligible, plays for QPR....a haunt of Tardelli and is really the kind of young exciting player we should be looking at...not lik McSheffrey.

The Striker is harder to work out....could it be Dave Kitson?

Junior
27/11/2009, 9:50 AM
Does the quote from Trap say they are playing in England?

magnumpi
27/11/2009, 9:50 AM
The Striker is harder to work out....could it be Dave Kitson?

I will be extremely disappointed if he pulls on an Ireland jersey. I've nothing against the 2nd generation players (I am 2nd generation), but this guy openly came out and said, "I'm not Irish and have no desire to play for Ireland." And, he's not even that good.

Naughton should be the focus. Also, O'Hara for some strength in depth.

ifk101
27/11/2009, 9:58 AM
Matthew Connolly, Dave Kitson, Naughton, O'Hara .... blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Journeymen the lot of them. Why not look at players such as McCann at Burnley and Wilson at Portsmouth in the next friendly whenever that is? I think Kevin Foley needs to be given a few games to show what he can do. If Owen Garvan can start commanding first team football at club level, I'd like to see him get a run out at senior level. And now that the qualification campaign for the WC is over, maybe Trap can start considering Andy Reid again.

livehead1
27/11/2009, 10:08 AM
I would be happy with O'Hara playing for us as I think he could bring something in; however it would be on the basis that he actually wants to play for us due to some affinity and not solely because it would be a career move. That should be the starting point.

seanfhear
27/11/2009, 10:20 AM
I will be extremely disappointed if he pulls on an Ireland jersey. I've nothing against the 2nd generation players (I am 2nd generation), but this guy openly came out and said, "I'm not Irish and have no desire to play for Ireland." And, he's not even that good.

Naughton should be the focus. Also, O'Hara for some strength in depth.
I doubt if its Kitson to be honest. I would say he is no spring chicken and he has not been setting the furze(thats irish heahter in my neck of the woods) alight lately

endabob1
27/11/2009, 11:23 AM
I'd rather bring Clinton back into the squad than bring in Kitson
O'Hara is a good squad player, can play/cover 3 positions and is an ideal O'Shea type cover player.
Naughton I've only seen once although he's highly rated, full backs are a bit of a bugbear for me, I think we're short here and he could do a job.

dr_peepee
27/11/2009, 11:57 AM
Matthew Connolly, Dave Kitson, Naughton, O'Hara .... blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Journeymen the lot of them. Why not look at players such as McCann at Burnley and Wilson at Portsmouth in the next friendly whenever that is? I think Kevin Foley needs to be given a few games to show what he can do. If Owen Garvan can start commanding first team football at club level, I'd like to see him get a run out at senior level. And now that the qualification campaign for the WC is over, maybe Trap can start considering Andy Reid again.

Dude... There's loads of other posts and threads advocating fringe players like Wilson, McCann Garvan & Foley. The first post said this thread was merely about the possibility someone coming from left field given Trapps statement. So I'm just thinking outside of our current scope of selection. A bit of fun/wishfull thinking if nothing else. I've no issue with another McAteer or Morrison emerging at this stage.

Ciaran W
27/11/2009, 11:59 AM
Kitson is one of the worst footballers i have ever seen and i would cry if he played for ireland

Fixer82
27/11/2009, 12:02 PM
Kitson is one of the worst footballers i have ever seen and i would cry if he played for ireland

but he has red hair....

dr_peepee
27/11/2009, 12:08 PM
Has he got any links???

Re Turner. Not that I've read. Based on nothing other than he's not committed elsewhere just yet.

Gary O'Neill... Has he ever been linked??

gally
27/11/2009, 12:08 PM
What about the Newcastle striker, Andy Carroll, he has played under 19's for England, could he fit the bill....it states on the other thread, that maybe they qualify for England under 21's....

dr_peepee
27/11/2009, 12:09 PM

Yeah!! I'd say it'd be another Jon Macken there!!!

Wangball
27/11/2009, 12:28 PM

I never said I wanted Kitson! Just thinking aloud....what other Irish qualified strikers are there out there at the moment??

As for Andy Carroll, I remember when I lived in Scotland they were invovled in an "international tug of war" for him, not sure if he links in with us at all

As somebody pointed out we're all guessing on the basis of Irish sounding names, we could be waaaaaaay off the mark....could end up being Bobby Zamora or something!

Wangball
27/11/2009, 12:30 PM

Kitson aside, the other's hardly qualify as journeymen

If anything Andy Reid (Forest, Spurs, Charlton, Sunderland) is the most journey-man-like player in your post

Emmet7
27/11/2009, 12:55 PM
I don't really think we need any new players.

Anyone we'd bring in would probably not be as good as what we have.

I had reservations about a number of players before the French game in Paris but they upped their game a good bit.

We just need to get the existing players to gel better. We need to see Keith Andrews doing what he did in Paris, the box to box stuff, breaking up the play, etc. We need Whelan, who I think was carrying a knock in Paris, to up his workrate too.

We need more goals. We should be putting 2 or 3 past teams like Bulgaria and we need to be clinical when we get chances.

The Doyle-Keane partnership creates chances, mostly for Robbie, but I'd like to see it produce more chances for Doyle and for the partnership to deliver the goals. We also need more goals from our midfielders and wingers.

paul_oshea
27/11/2009, 1:16 PM
ya thing is though those players can only play out of their skin in those sorta situations they are not going to be able play like their lives depended on it every game.

Wangball
27/11/2009, 1:24 PM
Also, where's the harm in increased competition for places? I t may motivate the likes of Whelan & Andrews to up their games.

As it is the pressure should be on them now to produce those kind of performances from now on in, we all know they're capable of it now so the mediocre performances that they may of previously put in just won't cut it

Razors left peg
27/11/2009, 2:57 PM
Think he said in the quote that some of the players have the choice between playing for England u21s or us... I cant think of any striker in that positon at the moment

Irish_Praha
28/11/2009, 11:07 AM
Think he said in the quote that some of the players have the choice between playing for England u21s or us... I cant think of any striker in that positon at the moment

Yeah all it takes is one Irish gand parent so it would be very difficult for us cover all the possibilities. It could be some of the obvious ones we have mentioned already or someone totally off the radar that we don't know of his Irish links. I'll have to think a bit further about this one :confused:
Anyone know when the next friendly should be; maybe all will be revealed then?

bwagner
28/11/2009, 5:41 PM
i hope its simon cox..scored two more for west brom today ..young quality striker

Bungle
29/11/2009, 9:20 AM
In fairness, there's probably a load of lads in the England u21 team that could play for us. Liverpool is historically pretty much an Irish city in terms of it's ethnic makeup (although in fairness alot of the migration ceased after the war) and Manchester, Birmingham and London have huge populations of Irish descent. As well as that the Irish are over-represented in urban areas and among the working class communities where soccer players come through.

My own guess would be that the stock of the Irish team has risen again over the last 2 years so English lads who are very good and in their u21 squad or on the verge of their full squad are more likely to want to play for us than win a few caps and take a chance with England.

third policeman
29/11/2009, 11:14 AM
i hope its simon cox..scored two more for west brom today ..young quality striker

I am sure I read Cox was qualified a while ago but have ben unable to find the source. anyone know whether this is right?

bwagner
29/11/2009, 11:40 AM
I htink there are 2 players with the same name, One is a golkeeper and is available but im not sure about the striker.

Manc Irish Wolf
29/11/2009, 9:39 PM
Wouldn't be suprised if the winger in question is Lewis McGugan of Nottingham Forest. Fits the description of the fast athletic type winger that would work well in Trap's strategy. Scored a couple recently and is seen to be one for the future for high-flying Forest.

tetsujin1979
29/11/2009, 10:20 PM
the defender couldn't be Stephen Carr, could it?

drummerboy
30/11/2009, 7:58 AM
Simon Cox could be the striker, he scored two yesterday.

dan o d
30/11/2009, 2:56 PM
to be honest i think the attacker trap was talking about was nolan, even though we wud see him as a centre mid

Docboy
30/11/2009, 4:14 PM
Simon Cox could be the striker, he scored two yesterday.

The Irish Times has him listed under the Irish player's section alright, might be worth a look.

SkStu
30/11/2009, 4:18 PM
theres two Simon Cox's - one who is Irish and one whose nationality is English.

Acornvilla
30/11/2009, 8:23 PM
the striker qualifies for ireland according to my 15 year old brother who tells me everything about football i already know but suprises me with little nuggets and is rarely wrong so hes irish now!
even thou wiki says hes born in reading. theres no mention of parents or nationalitys however.

Colbert Report
01/12/2009, 2:40 AM
Wouldn't be suprised if the winger in question is Lewis McGugan of Nottingham Forest. Fits the description of the fast athletic type winger that would work well in Trap's strategy. Scored a couple recently and is seen to be one for the future for high-flying Forest.

Isn't he a central midfielder? I've only seen him play a couple of times, I didn't see him as a fast winger.

DCross06
01/12/2009, 4:44 PM
I think it would be worth his while having a look at the MLS, I was going through the player listings and every third player had an Irish sounding name, Sean Franklin was awarded MLS Rookie of the Year (http://foot.ie/wiki/MLS_Rookie_of_the_Year) for the 2008 season, still uncapped at senior level, Ruud Gullit speaks highly of him for what its worth. Another one who might bring something different to the squad would be Jhon Kennedy Hurtado, born in Columbia had a trial with Milan. There's loads around like Mike Magee,who are all young and if anyone saw the Confederations Cup USA looked very impressive with a lot of home grown players, When you think of some of the better American players over the years with names like McBride, Donovan, O'Brien, Dempsey, and two of there best players over the last year are Casey and Bradley. "Soccer" is on the up in America and It would be a shame to miss out. I wonder what Joe Lapira is up to these days???

Acornvilla
01/12/2009, 6:14 PM
I think it would be worth his while having a look at the MLS, I was going through the player listings and every third player had an Irish sounding name, Sean Franklin was awarded MLS Rookie of the Year (http://foot.ie/wiki/MLS_Rookie_of_the_Year) for the 2008 season, still uncapped at senior level, Ruud Gullit speaks highly of him for what its worth. Another one who might bring something different to the squad would be Jhon Kennedy Hurtado, born in Columbia had a trial with Milan. There's loads around like Mike Magee,who are all young and if anyone saw the Confederations Cup USA looked very impressive with a lot of home grown players, When you think of some of the better American players over the years with names like McBride, Donovan, O'Brien, Dempsey, and two of there best players over the last year are Casey and Bradley. "Soccer" is on the up in America and It would be a shame to miss out. I wonder what Joe Lapira is up to these days???
playing norway second devision :)

Razors left peg
01/12/2009, 7:24 PM
Theres a Ciaran Clarke on the bench for Villa tonight, Sky Sports say hes a defender born in England. Anyone know anything about him?

Wangball
01/12/2009, 7:36 PM

I remember watching some match on RTE before Trap took over and Bill O'Herlihy asked Souness what he'd do if he were our boss and trawling the US for talent was his first suggestion, we missed out on Mike Parkhouse because of some procrastination and it would be a real shame to miss out ons some of the other 2nd or 3rd generation players over there

robbie_B
01/12/2009, 7:46 PM
Theres a Ciaran Clarke on the bench for Villa tonight, Sky Sports say hes a defender born in England. Anyone know anything about him?

His father is Irish

Razors left peg
01/12/2009, 7:50 PM
His father is Irish

Has he played for England underage?

tetsujin1979
01/12/2009, 7:56 PM

played for, and captained, England U19 and U20's, called into the U21's for the recent games VS Portugal and Lithuania, but didn't make the matchday squad in either

Report on the call up: http://www.thefa.com/England/MensUnder-21Team/MatchCentre/2009/EnglandvPortugal/MatchPreviews/WalkerClarkCalledUp.aspx

boovidge
01/12/2009, 7:58 PM
His father is Irish

source?

Acornvilla
01/12/2009, 9:26 PM
source?
mothers vagina.....

Junior
01/12/2009, 10:23 PM
:Dchildish but made me laugh.

Fixer82
01/12/2009, 10:26 PM
mothers vagina.....

very funny. tip of the cap to you sir!!!