PDA

View Full Version : Reasons why i won't be killing myself to bring a mate to an eL game...

Xlex
05/03/2004, 11:34 AM
Basically, one line in an email, which read:

All this **** in the close season is making me wonder why we bother anyway...

has me questioning why I vest so much energy in supporting the eL. Longford is easy, but the eL has had me captivated in the last 4 years.

Yesterday, I felt like co-operating with a fellow on a trust idea to propose to the club. Today, I feel like an utter ****. Following this league is depressing. The feal good factor of that Super Sunday when LT won the Cup is a far cry away from today's lowly feeling. I should be excited by the prospect of the Longford - Bohs tie which will kick my season off, but my mind is pre-occupied with the goings on which I know something about in the background.

This off-season is full of negative feeling. The state of the club licencing is killing my enthusasim. I should be excited.

The FAI and the eL League are killing Senior soccer in this country, but it seams individual clubs are intent on co-operating...

paudie
05/03/2004, 11:51 AM
Could you expand on the reasons for your depression a bit?

I'm hopeful that in a few years we'll look back on the licencing scheme as a source of improvements for the clubs in the league.

wws
05/03/2004, 11:54 AM
the politics crap is really beginning to wreck my head as well
hopefully when the real stuff starts back people (fans AND those responsible for running our clubs and league - will get back to realising just what the thing is all about at the end of the day - its in danger of being lost on people with all the ****** goin on in the off season)

the game isnt about Fran Rooneys, Club Chairmen, Licensing and all that balls its all about the people who play it and love to play it and those who love to watch it and support it

roll on football

and keep the faith

Xlex
05/03/2004, 11:56 AM
Licencing is a great thing. It's the implementation and financial support which have been badly managed. It's a PR disaster...

I'm not going to expand any further on it...

wws,

Your bang on. Politics, self interest and backstabbing.

Macy
05/03/2004, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by paudie
Could you expand on the reasons for your depression a bit?
Have you been reading the papers at all over the close season?

Fúck it, let Derry play with themselves in the premier, have europe etc. The rest of us in a 1st division where football is the priority not politics, licencing, one up manship and other bollóxolgy.....

Xlex
05/03/2004, 12:04 PM
Doe sanyone realise the trouble there would be if Galway got a 'A' licence?

Schumi
05/03/2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Xlex
Doe sanyone realise the trouble there would be if Galway got a 'A' licence? Surely none really bar moaning. You'd need to get promoted as well as have an A licence to play in the Premier. Otherwise A licenced clubs could never be relegated.

Xlex
05/03/2004, 12:10 PM
well, how about all the clubs in the U.K. who won promotion but didn't get promoted because of ground requirements?

Schumi
05/03/2004, 12:13 PM
But teams didn't get randomly promoted when they reached the ground requirements if they weren't in the promotion places.

Xlex
05/03/2004, 12:18 PM
Right Schumi, I'm basing my loose theory on the el message board but considering how many past issues have threatened the High court then the single division would have been a real possibility. Nothing there about promotion but it would have been the perfect vehicle for a single division.

Macy
05/03/2004, 12:24 PM
Nothing there about promotion but it would have been the perfect vehicle for a single division.
Would a single division not be the top league? The only option is for those clubs with a A licence to be in the top flight, and those without in the first....

Xlex
05/03/2004, 12:34 PM
good point:)

depends on how you look art that little one...

pete
05/03/2004, 1:34 PM
Aside from the obvious lack of live football for a few months must say its hard to get enthuasistic about the coming season.

Fans have no say at league level - is ther any point to resurrecting a NLU format again?

:(

max power
05/03/2004, 2:00 PM
i'm off to the pub, your a depressing shower.....any one wants to join me i'll be in flannerys on camden st for the rest of the evening !!!!

wws
05/03/2004, 2:43 PM
Knew it was a fckn bogger dive
alright flannerys now you've just made the 'list'

'Econo-Chair'
Mr Burns
Euro Star
Louis Walsh
Tolka Park
Panama
Dublin 4
Flannerys....

max power
05/03/2004, 2:52 PM
yeah no baseball caps there or rugger buggers either, just cluchies able to handle their drink.....

the 12 th man
05/03/2004, 2:56 PM
Originally posted by max power
i'm off to the pub, your a depressing shower.....any one wants to join me i'll be in flannerys on camden st for the rest of the evening !!!!

jaysus that was quick/you forgot you were barred didnt yeh:rolleyes:

max power
05/03/2004, 2:58 PM
no i have a can at my desk to **** off my boss....i'm off in 10 mins and i expect to be in heap by midnight and hit anyone who smokes !!

TommyT
07/03/2004, 6:01 PM
Does anyone else feel that the Licencing Authority ****ed it up by being too strict, they had the opportunity to award licences ''with sanctions'' including tying teams down to timetables to improve their ground but didn't.

Why are they digging their heels in over the fixture list ?

Surely they realise that it would be a disaster for the league to simply cancel last season. It's about sport, not ''facilities'' in the first instance.

brendy_éire
07/03/2004, 8:48 PM
Originally posted by TommyT
Does anyone else feel that the Licencing Authority ****ed it up by being too strict, they had the opportunity to award licences ''with sanctions'' including tying teams down to timetables to improve their ground but didn't.

No. It will improve the League in the long run.

TommyT
07/03/2004, 9:58 PM
You can still improve the league without ****ing it up in the short term.

eoinh
08/03/2004, 9:14 AM
Basically, one line in an email, which read:

has me questioning why I vest so much energy in supporting the eL. Longford is easy, but the eL has had me captivated in the last 4 years.

Yesterday, I felt like co-operating with a fellow on a trust idea to propose to the club. Today, I feel like an utter ****. Following this league is depressing. The feal good factor of that Super Sunday when LT won the Cup is a far cry away from today's lowly feeling. I should be excited by the prospect of the Longford - Bohs tie which will kick my season off, but my mind is pre-occupied with the goings on which I know something about in the background.

This off-season is full of negative feeling. The state of the club licencing is killing my enthusasim. I should be excited.

The FAI and the eL League are killing Senior soccer in this country, but it seams individual clubs are intent on co-operating...

Yes i totally agree. Why cant the eircom league fight about proper footballing issues. Issues like alleged gang rape, "dogging", horse sperm, players missing drug tests, private detectives allegedly going through managers sons trash, shady money being invested in our clubs from eastern europe and having warnings imposed by UEFA about our countries fans would be so much more interesting and progressive.

Why should we be interested in issues like facilities and licences!

Xlex
08/03/2004, 11:27 AM
everything your post has pointed out has to do with money and greed. The eL might be about that in some peoples eyes but nobody in it are going make the vast sums with dominate the main charactors in those instances.

The licencing is great, you choose to ignore the fact that derry are the only club to achieve the 'A' licence. Some supporters and clubs want a 22 team division, most don't. We're divided over a merger with the FAI. There's three instances.

There's much negative going on here and because of it's very public nature and the fact that bad news storys far outweigh the good news stories in the media we are loosing valuable ground in the race to secure new support and it wouldn't encourage you to put up with all the crap that is associated with getting your (non-supporting)mates into the Flancare parks of this island.