PDA

View Full Version : First Game of the Season

Maynard
04/03/2004, 8:19 PM
Cork City away...Friday 19th

Not a great draw really. Hard for travelling fans.
Ah well, at least we'll have one of the trips to Munster out of the way early on.

Ringo
05/03/2004, 6:51 AM
trying to get out of Dublin, on a Friday's a nightmare.

LFC in Exile
05/03/2004, 9:29 AM
Sorry for your trouble lads.

It's not like you'll have that many trips out of Dublin in fairness.

tiktok
05/03/2004, 9:40 AM
for the record guys, if you are driving down.
Unless you leave Dublin (city centre that is) by three-thirty, you probably won't make Turner's Cross for 7.45. The new Kildare by-pass is a help but Monasterevin is still a bottle neck so it's best if you can have passed by it before five.

A Face's site www.ifgrounds.com (http://www.ifgrounds.com/corkcity.html) should help you out.

Ringo
05/03/2004, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by LFC in Exile
Sorry for your trouble lads.

It's not like you'll have that many trips out of Dublin in fairness.
a very fair point.after being in the first division, we know all about travelling. its a lot easier for us this year.

pete
05/03/2004, 1:24 PM
Originally posted by tiktok
Unless you leave Dublin (city centre that is) by three-thirty, you probably won't make Turner's Cross for 7.45. The new Kildare by-pass is a help but Monasterevin is still a bottle neck so it's best if you can have passed by it before five.

I think 3.30 is even pushing it although i've not tried since Kildare bypass although again was possible to skip a lot of that previously. I'd recommend taking a 1/2 day from work/college & leave at 2pm.

Eric
05/03/2004, 1:56 PM
Travelling by car you'd make it to the X for kick off once you've left Dublin by 3pm. If ye are running a bus down then I'd say ye would need to be gone by 2 at the latest to allow for stops on the way down etc.

Monasterevan, Cashel, Mitchelstown and Fermoy are all a disaster for traffic on Fridays

Gary
05/03/2004, 6:09 PM
Originally posted by Eric
If ye are running a bus down

:D

Originally posted by Maynard
Not a great draw really. Hard for travelling fans.

My God, they are not even in the Premier Division 5 minutes and already they are complaining about the travel.

Same ol Dublin eh?

Neil
05/03/2004, 6:14 PM
Originally posted by Maynard
Hard for travelling fans.

Sure God fúckin love us!
Try doing the trip every other week.
Same oul Jackeens....:rolleyes:

LFC in Exile
09/03/2004, 8:54 AM
Originally posted by Ringo
a very fair point.after being in the first division, we know all about travelling. its a lot easier for us this year.

Funny that - because I don't remember you boys travelling in the first division either. :)

Ringo
09/03/2004, 9:18 AM
i can only speak for myself. Had a great time in Limerick, even made a weekend of it.

Counting Crow
09/03/2004, 9:49 PM
Will there be many of ye travelling........surely for the first game of the season ye'll make the effort?

Ringo
10/03/2004, 6:32 AM
Theres no way i can get off on that Friday to travel down. Going mad. Country clubs usually benifit from ex-pats living in Dublin for away games. Not too many Dublin people living in Cork.

Breifne
10/03/2004, 8:32 AM
The one weekend this year when i have something that i can't get out of, damn,

Ah well, it'll just make the following weekend's home game against Longford all the sweeter.

Counting Crow
12/03/2004, 9:20 PM
Agree with you Ringo about the ex pats. Met a lot of Cork guys at the Shels match at the end of last season in Tolka Park who were living in or around Dublin.

What sort of home following will ye have this season....do ye have much of a fan base?

We're expecting a big enough crowd for Friday night although it usually takes a game or two for the barstoolers to kick into gear.

The Cross should look well though. We've got a bunch of new banners and flags to add to the ones from last season.........should look and sound good.

The Shed will be completely decked out.

Ringo
13/03/2004, 6:53 AM
Originally posted by Counting Crow
Agree with you Ringo about the ex pats. Met a lot of Cork guys at the Shels match at the end of last season in Tolka Park who were living in or around Dublin.

What sort of home following will ye have this season....do ye have much of a fan base?

We're expecting a big enough crowd for Friday night although it usually takes a game or two for the barstoolers to kick into gear.

We've a very small fan base. We've some good ideas to get more fans in. If you buy the new jeesey (€29.99), you get a free match ticket. I've met loads of people who intend on following Dublin City this year. The "WE" did well brigade, that you never saw last season. I think the fan base traveling away will grow as the season goes on.

Gary
13/03/2004, 7:51 PM
Not being smart or anything now, but this question interests me,

Who did ye support before Dublin City? No one? Home Farm? Dis illusioned with other Dub clubs???

Ringo
14/03/2004, 7:22 AM
I didn't follow Irish soccer, got involved & got hooked. The league needs new fans.

Breifne
14/03/2004, 11:11 AM
Originally from Leitrim, so no real exposure to national league at all, went to school in Sligo, so used to go to the odd rovers game, basically just the home cup games and the pre season english games. Won't really call myself a fan though.

Started college in Dublin, and about three years ago got free tickets to go and see rovers play Dublin City, then got free tickets to see them play athlone a few weeks later, enjoy the two games, and have been a kinda regular there ever since, only missed one home game last season.

The league really needs to attract a new breed of fan, loads of my friends call themselves football fans, but have never actually been to a live game.

Maynard
14/03/2004, 6:20 PM
Personally never took an active interest in Irish soccer before DCFC. My Dad used t play for Home Farm though.
Always followed the Dubs, Dublin City was the obvious choice when I decided I should support Irish soccer as well.

Counting Crow
14/03/2004, 7:15 PM
Good to see new fans coming to games. I think eevery Club needs more of this.

We've seen a lot of this over the past 3 years. With the return of Georgie, Flynny etc and the signing of Fenn, Nwankwo, Dan Murray we've seen more and more female fans ( hanging around the dressing rooms after games etc ) ...... don't laugh these guys are our very own Spice Boys and are celebs. around town......particularly Georgie and Flynny.

Dolan ( love him or hate him ) has done an unbelievable PR job in the City.

We had a Family Open day yesterday and it was a hugh success with a massive attendance.

By the way some bad news for ye........Flynny made his comeback from injury today ( 1st game since Sept. ) and netted twice vs. Kilkenny. It's going to be a long night for ye on Friday.

Ringo
15/03/2004, 7:01 AM
Originally posted by Counting Crow
By the way some bad news for ye........Flynny made his comeback from injury today ( 1st game since Sept. ) and netted twice vs. Kilkenny. It's going to be a long night for ye on Friday.

Big difference between Kilkenny & Dublin City. We've got nothing to lose on Friday.

Counting Crow
15/03/2004, 9:15 PM
Eh, I think your missing the point on this one Ringo.

I wasn't clebrating the fact he scored against the powerhouse that is KILKENNY.
I was just letting you know that "He's back".

The guy did it against everyone last year ( and the year before for that matter ) ....... plus 3 international goals @ U-21 level.

He's fit, he's fresh, he's rarin' to go.

I know you may not have seen him before but on Friday try to park your natural bias ( we all have it ) and take time to watch the guy..........he's far and away the best player in the League .... even a lot of your Dublin brothers will admit this.

His last home game before he was injured was against Drogs and he tore them apart scoring two of the best golas in the League for many a season.

Don't say you weren't warned

;)

BTW try The Horseshoe beforehand for a bit of pre game atmosphere and a pint - see ya there.

Ringo
16/03/2004, 6:37 AM
It’s going to be a really strange one for us on Friday. We've a fairly new squad, un-tested, playing a team that will there or there abouts at the end on the season. We’re also missing some of our best players, through suspension/injury. But that’s football. Can't wait to see how the team shapes up. We’re under no illusions, people see us as the whipping boys this year. That’s a fair point, we weren’t the best team last year, but we wanted it more & worked hard. At the end of the season we had more points. We don’t intend going straight back down. It’s hard to see where the 40 or so points to stay up will come from & as a fan I don’t know how the new team will play & gel together.

Counting Crow
16/03/2004, 9:10 PM
Who are ye missing for Friday night?

Have ye signed any big name? What players are suspended?

One thing that will become apparent is that you will need a big panel to survive. If you get injuries or suspensions at this level and you don't have cover then you will get murdered. You'll get away with it in Div 1 but not here.

We know, because our season ground to a halt when Flynny did his knee in Belfield ( he still ended joint 3rd top scorer even though he missed 1/3 of the season ).

Finally are there many travelling down for it? As I said make your way the Horseshoe Bar ( right by the entrance to the ground ).

Keep an eye out for our fanzine, " FourFiveOne". Excellent read, very funny. First one is available for this game.

Our program is class also - got "Program of the year" last year.