PDA

View Full Version : Good or bad?

rovers100%
23/11/2009, 3:29 PM
how did people feel the season went, for me it was a year of high expectations and a lot of lows. after last years top 4 finish and getting into europe and the beautiful football we played i was full sure this season would go well.
instead we go out to vlaznia who in all respects were poor but i did enjoy the trip away and the buzz around the town with being in europe. the league was a struggle all year and the hammering by derry a particular sore point but at least we are in premier div next year.
as for the 2 cup runs we came so close but couldnt just do it. all year we were plagued by injuries and suspensions and now our star striker seems destined for the big smoke. hopefully next year we will get a bit mkore luck and get back to winning ways.
turner signing is a positve as our weak point all year was centre midfield. cookie needs to get our best players signed up for next season and the in fairness a top 4 finish would not be beyond us with derry gone. the only 2 teams i belive would be better than us is bohs and shams as cork are constantly in trouble and derry gone. the one thing ya cant buy is support and without a doubt we have one of the best in the country. the crowd yesterday were a credit and showed what sligo rovers means to the county and the people.

Captain2007
23/11/2009, 3:40 PM
IMO Good Season, at least your club conducted their business in the proper manner hence why they struggled early on, embarassing not been able to field a subs bench in the Carlisle early in the season, but fair play 2nd half of season Cookie certainly turned things around.
Definately should not have lost the cup final which would have made it a very good season.

MMVIII
23/11/2009, 5:53 PM
Albania was such a highlight. Probably the best experience of my life. The way we finished the league was superb.

SligoBrewer
23/11/2009, 5:57 PM
. Probably the best experience of my life.

Those minutes between Doyle scoring and the penalty being given were mine. It was unbelievable. The reason to be a Rovers fan tbh.

Then when O'Neill scored, I felt the sinking feeling. Like breaking up with someone or opening up your Leaving results and they aren't what you expected, except to a factor of ten.

CF1989
23/11/2009, 6:13 PM
:(
or opening up your Leaving results and they aren't what you expected

oh jesus christ, are you for real??

like opening a few fcuking test results?

sligoman
23/11/2009, 6:16 PM
Bad season imo. Obviously it was a good experience for the fans getting a European trip and a good cup run but on the pitch we've been involved in a relegation battle all season and considering how poor the likes of Bray, Drogs & Galway were, we should have finished well above them imo. The players didn't perform in the European game against the team who I still maintain are the worst team I've seen this season. We obviously improved in the latter stage of the season but the first half wasn't good enough. Too many low moments for me...

sligofan4ever
23/11/2009, 6:36 PM
Bad season imo. Obviously it was a good experience for the fans getting a European trip and a good cup run but on the pitch we've been involved in a relegation battle all season and considering how poor the likes of Bray, Drogs & Galway were, we should have finished well above them imo. The players didn't perform in the European game against the team who I still maintain are the worst team I've seen this season. We obviously improved in the latter stage of the season but the first half wasn't good enough. Too many low moments for me...

If only we started out the season with the likes of Doyle and Blinkhorn, and even a fit Chris Butler, i'd say we'd have finished in the top 4. If we also had those players in July, we would have eased passed Vllaznia, we had Peers on the bench and players werent willing to tackle which led too two of their goals.

RoversInn
23/11/2009, 6:39 PM
Bad season. If, last season Cook was offered to finish 6th in the league, Get knocked out of the Europa League in your first match and lose in a cup final, Do you think he would have taken it?

Shiba
23/11/2009, 6:42 PM

To be fair the first half of the season I still blame our budget constraints.My favorite moment was Raffs goal against Derry it gave us the hope for rest of season.Low must definitly the final taut it was ours until about 10minutes before kick off when the weather was worsening,I had this thing in my head that the team has never proformed well in bad weather and Sunday was the worst day all season.I had huge expectations during last off season but once budget was challenged mid table was the best we could have got.I think we have done well this season overall main disappointment was not winning anything but the huge plus is financially we are good! So heres to next season..........................

SligoBrewer
23/11/2009, 6:59 PM

I nearly crashed the car that day I was in such a state.

showgies
23/11/2009, 8:37 PM
The Good:
Cup run
Mid-season signings
Club stability
Expectation of a European draw
Crowds towards the end of season
Atmosphere at cup games
Avoiding relegation

The Bad
Cook's resignation
Poor early season signings
Financial trouble
Injuries
Europe result
Flirtation with relegation
Ticketgate
Cup Final defeat (the lowest I have felt after a game in a long, long time)

For me the bad out-weigh the good, so I conclude it was a bad season.

After feeling so low after the final, the only thing I want now is the next season to come quickly.

clubman
23/11/2009, 9:26 PM
So much happened this season I'd hate to be the guy that decides to sit down and write a complete history of the Bit O' Red as I'd expect 2009 would take up half the book. We had an awful start with the coming and going of the manager which took half the campaign to recover from. Without going into and detail some of our signings begger belief. We recovered mid-season, had a decent run but ended on a very low ebb. We're sure to lose most if not all our good out of contracted players. The light at the end of the tunnel is the signing of Chris Turner.

Brian Boru
23/11/2009, 10:43 PM
Good: 1. Raf's equalizer versus Cork away in the cup. 2. Raf's winner versus Cork at home in the cup. 3. The first half display versus Pats away. 4. Doyle's goal in Tallaght. 5. The colossal support at the semi and final; best supporters in Ireland.

Bad: Vllaznia and Heartbroken about the cup final defeat. Absolutely flattened. Worst ever sporting heartache! Got even worse when I saw it wasn't a penalty today.

Jeebus
24/11/2009, 2:21 AM

What if it was bad aids though??? :eek:

CF1989
25/11/2009, 2:39 PM
sean holmes was another highlight.

rovers100%
25/11/2009, 3:41 PM
mcgrath and parkhouse leaving was a real lowlight, 2 huge losses to irish football. parkhouse was loi's drogba .............

gustavo
25/11/2009, 4:02 PM
Parkhouse was unlucky IMO

Shedzer
25/11/2009, 5:37 PM
McGrath played about 4 games. He looked one paced but he wasnt the worst player on show v Derry when we lost 4-0, that was his last game. He could have been given a bit longer although i dont know the circumstances involved in his signing or departure

Martinho II
25/11/2009, 6:18 PM
McGrath played about 4 games. He looked one paced but he wasnt the worst player on show v Derry when we lost 4-0, that was his last game. He could have been given a bit longer although i dont know the circumstances involved in his signing or departure

what was mcgraths first name? I dont recall that name at all..

CF1989
25/11/2009, 6:22 PM
michael. came from galway

avvenalaf
25/11/2009, 6:30 PM
Parkhouse was unlucky IMO

Yeah, Santa brought him a pair of football boots when he was six.

rovers100%
25/11/2009, 7:02 PM
i think the rovers fans were a big highlight this year. great flags and noise from forza and i think the red stand was a lot louder this year than last. the cup final showed what great support we have by the numbers that travelled considering the weather

dublinred
26/11/2009, 10:17 AM
Was one of the best seasons ever till the 81st minute on sunday , but still has to go down as a good year for us. We were severly handicapped by the FAI at the start of the season resulted in Cook leaving , the fans dug deep and raised the funds to get him back on board and despite working with a small squad we managed to avoid relegation , 2 great cup runs and top of the group in the setanta.

Off the pitch we are very well organaised now and will reap the benifits soon , there is a queue of players looking to join us, finances look good and the plans for the showgrounds look class . Despite the recession and our league position for most of the season we managed to increase our crowds this year , I go to most away games on the east coast and the support away has been fantastic this year there are buses to every game and the atmosphere is class special mention for the forza lads and their flags.

We will lose a few players but having heard the names and calibre of a few of the players looking to join us next year will be memorable also.

Martinho II
26/11/2009, 5:58 PM
michael. came from galway

where did he disappear to? Didnt Galway get him from Kidderminster?

Mayo Red
26/11/2009, 6:02 PM
where did he disappear to? Didnt Galway get him from Kidderminster?

Ya, but they didn't keep the receipt so we ended up with him for a while!!;)