PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Kenny signs contract with 'new' Derry City

Pages : [1] 2

brendy_éire
23/11/2009, 2:48 PM
Signed a two year deal at lunch time today, according to Radio Foyle.

iceman
23/11/2009, 3:30 PM
Think the least of Derry's worries is who is going to manage them. They have to find a league to play in first ,and thats after dealing with their creditors.

harps1954
23/11/2009, 3:33 PM
Think the least of Derry's worries is who is going to manage them. They have to find a league to play in first ,and thats after dealing with their creditors.

Not really. Derry will be in the First Division next season. As for their creditors - they belong to the 'old' Derry City. The 'new' Derry City is debt free and owes nothing.

The Betting Man
23/11/2009, 3:33 PM
Stephen Kenny is to remain on as manager of Derry City.
Kenny's position had been in doubt after the recent decision by the Football Association of Ireland to expel City from the League of Ireland.

However, the chairman of the club's new steering group, Philip O'Doherty, says Kenny has accepted a new two-year contract with the Candystripes.

Kenny's new contract is said to be on "revised terms" which are believed to include a reduced salary.

Dubliner Kenny was last week linked with the managerial vacancy at Dundalk.

Despite their expulsion from the League of Ireland, the indications are that Derry will be permitted to play in the League of Ireland First Division next season.

Derry went into administration last week and doubts over Kenny's future were increased by the new steering committee's delay in holding talks with the Dubliner.

However, talks appeared to have been held over the weekend and Monday's announcement followed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/irish/8374960.stm

Fr Damo
23/11/2009, 4:04 PM
Not really. Derry will be in the First Division next season. As for their creditors - they belong to the 'old' Derry City. The 'new' Derry City is debt free and owes nothing.

I think that's a scandel. Wasn't aware that was the case.

total hoofball
23/11/2009, 4:11 PM
New club, debt free, creditors fleeced and as evident by this appointment continuing to go full-time in First Division

well done John Delaney :rolleyes:

another slap in the face for the few clubs actually living within their means

Louth4sam
23/11/2009, 4:16 PM
Kenny's new contract is said to be on "revised terms" which are believed to include a reduced salary

Word around Dundalk is he couldn't agree on terms so either he really likes living in Derry or the "revised terms" are still higher than our board were willing to offer.

SwanVsDalton
23/11/2009, 4:28 PM
Word around Dundalk is he couldn't agree on terms so either he really likes living in Derry or the "revised terms" are still higher than our board were willing to offer.

Almost certainly the former - his family are very settled here, wife likes the city and kids in school.

OneRedArmy
23/11/2009, 4:32 PM
I think that's a scandel. Wasn't aware that was the case.It carries more weight when you can spell the word.

New club, debt free, creditors fleeced and as evident by this appointment continuing to go full-time in First DivisionNot entirely sure how its "evident" that we are going full-time?

But don't let that get in the way of your rant.....

GM11
23/11/2009, 4:33 PM

Brendy lad - hows the form - some craic in Paris !

Great news - hopefully next few weeks will bring more good news

GM11
23/11/2009, 4:38 PM
New club, debt free, creditors fleeced and as evident by this appointment continuing to go full-time in First Division

well done John Delaney :rolleyes:

another slap in the face for the few clubs actually living within their means

Happens in business every day - new club new board - why should they be saddled with the previous lots debt

would you rather we had no team next year in derry and that the fans payed back the mindless debt of a calamitous few people.

Dont forget Derry fans have suffered at the hands of the previous board too - ie next seasons pre-paid season tickets and the season ticket holders who paid into the last game of season even tho the club already knew the gate money was a drop in the ocean

comon the new city !

cestlavie
23/11/2009, 4:39 PM
A man that helped reck a club being rewarded with new contract, reckless behaviour. He is hardly in demand!

SwanVsDalton
23/11/2009, 4:50 PM
A man that helped reck a club being rewarded with new contract, reckless behaviour. He is hardly in demand!

Leaving aside the board's financial responsibility, a contract on much lower terms, managing a club with little or no finance in the first division, is hardly a reward.

If he wanted to leave, he would've had plenty of takers and with better money.

rovers100%
23/11/2009, 4:56 PM
fair play to him for staying, i for one as a sligo fan cant wait for derry to be back in the premier division as enjoyed the trips to brandywell and ye always brought great support down to sligo. wish ye all the best next year but still would like to rob a few of yer players ha ha. mcglynn and martyn will do for starters !!!

Doomofman
23/11/2009, 4:59 PM
He's obviously got some reassurances that there's LOI football for Derry next season if he's signed a new contract

dcfcsteve
23/11/2009, 5:03 PM

As evident by nothing - that's your assumption.

And a vastly inaccurate one it is too..... :rolleyes:

Doomofman
23/11/2009, 5:05 PM
As evident by nothing - that's your assumption.

And a vastly inaccurate one it is too..... :rolleyes:

Don't mean to be antagonising anyone but.. Can you prove it's vastly inaccurate? Do you actually know it's inaccurate or are you, like he was, making an assumption?

dcfcsteve
23/11/2009, 5:10 PM
Don't mean to be antagonising anyone but.. Can you prove it's vastly inaccurate? Do you actually know it's inaccurate or are you, like he was, making an assumption?

It's difficult to prove the absence of something.

But it's clear from all indications that we will be part-time next season.

Sure why not just state that we'll be buying the new Lansdowne, and say it's true because no-one can prove that we won't be. It's diffuclt to prove that you won't be doing something - particularly as we currently have no players at all on our books to 'prove' it.

Doomofman
23/11/2009, 5:12 PM
It's difficult to prove the absence of something.

But it's clear from all indications that we will be part-time next season.

Sure why not just state that we'll be buying the new Lansdowne, and say it's true because no-one can prove that we won't be. It's diffuclt to prove that you won't be doing something - particularly as we currently have no players at all on our books to 'prove' it.

It's still an assumption though... Shouldn't be so hard on someone else for assuming something just because you believe it to be wrong...

OneRedArmy
23/11/2009, 5:17 PM
It's still an assumption though... Shouldn't be so hard on someone else for assuming something just because you believe it to be wrong...Read the quote again.

The "assumption" was then used as a "fact" in the next sentence to lambast us for something that it actually very unlikely.

FWIW I really can't see how we can go full-time based on the budget numbers that are being bandied around.

cheifo
23/11/2009, 5:17 PM
Lets all do it. Wipe our huge debts(thanks former Directors and Paul Hegarty) clean and start afresh. A league will do us fine for a year. Small price to pay for a new debt free future.

Louth4sam
23/11/2009, 5:19 PM
Happens in business every day - new club new board - why should they be saddled with the previous lots debt

would you rather we had no team next year in derry and that the fans payed back the mindless debt of a calamitous few people.

In fairness thats a crock of ****. What would stop all clubs just building up a load of debt, change board members, folding and recreating debt free in the first division?
Derry are being paid the equivalent of 500k+ (clearing debts) to spend a season in the first division. How many clubs would turn that kind of money down? I like Derry as a club and hope that hope things work out in the long run but this seems like rewarding rather than punishing Derry.

Doomofman
23/11/2009, 5:19 PM
Read the quote again.

The "assumption" was then used as a "fact" in the next sentence to lambast us for something that it actually very unlikely.

FWIW I really can't see how we can go full-time based on the budget numbers that are being bandied around.

I guess he was going on the assumption that Kenny probably would have gotten better offers to manage other clubs asides from Derry, although I could be wrong..

After all the financial turmoil Derry had last year I really can't see them being full time again but one would have to assume they're fairly confident of being in the first division next season if Kenny was willing to sign on...

Captain2007
23/11/2009, 5:27 PM
Fair play to Stephen Kenny could probably walk in to any LOI club with a vacancy, LOI has been short of people with loyalty within their clubs, have to admire his decision to stay and drop a league and more and likely go with a part-time set-up.
Best of luck to Derry in the 1st division.

Aaron
23/11/2009, 6:24 PM
In fairness thats a crock of ****. What would stop all clubs just building up a load of debt, change board members, folding and recreating debt free in the first division?
Derry are being paid the equivalent of 500k+ (clearing debts) to spend a season in the first division. How many clubs would turn that kind of money down? I like Derry as a club and hope that hope things work out in the long run but this seems like rewarding rather than punishing Derry.

You se this part gets me. Why do people assume we will go up straight away. We havn't even got a team of players yet, so how can you say we will go straight back up?

MariborKev
23/11/2009, 6:29 PM
Sorry for the shouting.

WE DON'T A LICENCE AND WE HAVE MILES TO GO BEFORE WE ARE IN THE POSITION TO GET ONE

Mad Moose
23/11/2009, 6:34 PM
Lets all do it. Wipe our huge debts(thanks former Directors and Paul Hegarty) clean and start afresh. A league will do us fine for a year. Small price to pay for a new debt free future.

Easy easy Cheifo. Lets at least be organised about this lest we have a very congested 1st Division.

I don't get it at all. How has the decision been reached that as an entirely new entity Derry City (presumably still the clubs name) get to play in the 1st Division. Whats the basis for the FAI's decision?

Louth4sam
23/11/2009, 6:37 PM
You se this part gets me. Why do people assume we will go up straight away. We havn't even got a team of players yet, so how can you say we will go straight back up?

Massive fan base, no debts and new board with new contacts. I would be shocked if Derry hadn't the highest wages in the 1st division next season and probably higher than a few teams in the premier. Can't see Bray being up to much next season so that just leaves a two horse race with Shels.

Dunny
23/11/2009, 6:41 PM
Waterford also.

MariborKev
23/11/2009, 6:42 PM
I don't get it at all. How has the decision been reached that as an entirely new entity Derry City (presumably still the clubs name) get to play in the 1st Division. Whats the basis for the FAI's decision?

Where is the link to this "decision"?

The new steering committee have yet to even make a licence application.

Mad Moose
23/11/2009, 6:46 PM

This is the thing Kev. All the talk is of demotion as opposed to expulsion and surely if an application for licence is to be made its an application to participate in the A League as in starting afresh. Is there such a confidence about Derry (hi) that though they have fouled badly in their own yard that they are too big not to participate and that they will at leat make the 1st division.

Like you I don't see any of that as possible. I'd be more concerned about a licence application than I would securing a manager on contract.

Martinho II
23/11/2009, 6:48 PM
From reading the piece on Stephen Kenny on bbcs website they seemed to have forgotten that Stephen managed us in the first division between 1998-99 and 99-00 seasons! :eek:

Dillonman
23/11/2009, 7:16 PM

Hey you cant use that excuse, we havnt even got a team, well a golaie and ye have a manager so Id say ye are better off!:p

Dillonman
23/11/2009, 7:18 PM
Waterford also.

Yeah have re-signed about 8 palyers from last season, their backbone players at that and waiting on a handful more to commit!

Hairy Bowsie
23/11/2009, 8:11 PM
In my opinion, Waterford will win the First Division next year.

cheifo
23/11/2009, 8:21 PM

MB I appreciate you are refering to the process that has to be undetaken but its hard to believe Kenny signing a 2 year contract unless confident assurances were made to him.

Did the FAI not clearly intimate that they have a roadmap back into the league for the new Derry?

Do you think there is any chance a licence application will not be approved?

Again I want Derry in the League but etc etc

John83
23/11/2009, 8:27 PM
As a business practice? Not having anyone trade with you any more. There was a time when Dublin City were struggling to find a training ground where they weren't persona non grata, and rumour has it once upon a time that Shams were struggling to find a laundrette on similar grounds. Cork have found it hard to get credit since their administration - culminating in that embarrassing showdown with the coach driver. Also, board members tend not to like being struck off from the board of any company - as happens (by law) to directors of bankrupt companies for a few years.

Dillonman
23/11/2009, 8:39 PM
As a business practice? Not having anyone trade with you any more. There was a time when Dublin City were struggling to find a training ground where they weren't persona non grata, and rumour has it once upon a time that Shams were struggling to find a laundrette on similar grounds. Cork have found it hard to get credit since their administration - culminating in that embarrassing showdown with the coach driver. Also, board members tend not to like being struck off from the board of any company - as happens (by law) to directors of bankrupt companies for a few years.

Theres a difference in terms of going into administration and not paying your players to liquidating a company and starting off afresh!A new company would get a credit limit small at the start and then increasing over time if they show that they are good customers in terms of paying on time when requested and not drawing up a huge bill. I think Derry will be fine next season as long as they are managed efficiently and effectively from now on.

Jofspring
23/11/2009, 8:54 PM
Waterford also.

and Limerick FC.

Scully is looking to put together a good side and also the wage budget is supposed have increased a bit.

Can't rule out Monaghan either. Made a good finish to the season and are a club going in the right direction. Its going to be a competitive league next season so Derry won't be guaranteed anything, even with a possible bigger budget than most.

galwayjames
23/11/2009, 8:56 PM

And what did they win with such big debt? A League Cup.

On a different note this doesn't seem too different to being in examinership.

All the best Derry & looking forward to your return to the Premier, however long that may be.

whinnie01
23/11/2009, 9:01 PM

Kenny on half of last years wages, Dundalk offered alot higher terms, had a provisional yes as of last friday now back to square one

Sam_Heggy
23/11/2009, 10:27 PM
Kenny on half of last years wages, Dundalk offered alot higher terms, had a provisional yes as of last friday now back to square one

That's still pretty damn good wages then so.

I find it hard to believe Kenny signed a 2 year contract for the "Loyalty" of the club (a brand new club for that matter).

His family are said to be settled in Donegal so for that matter I can understand him wanting to stay but, if he was only going to be working with pennies and on a small wage I couldn't see him signing.

Kenny must have got decent promises (budget, etc) and whilst I want Derry to stay in the league, it sickens me to my stomach that they can just start from scratch with no debts and walk straight into the First division. Meanwhile, clubs like ourselves, Athlone, Longford must plan our budgets around paying off old debt as well as putting a team on the field.

brendy_éire
23/11/2009, 10:42 PM
His family are said to be settled in Donegal so for that matter I can understand him wanting to stay but, if he was only going to be working with pennies and on a small wage I couldn't see him signing.

I think that's the main reason actually. He didn't move his family to Scotland because of that reason. He didn't want to move the wanes from one school to another knowing that he may have to move them again in the near future.
Still reckon he'll move back to Dublin at some stage, but maybe when the wanes start secondary school.

SkStu
24/11/2009, 12:01 AM
Kenny's as mad as a bag of spanners. More insane than Roy Keane in a lot of ways. Thats probably why he re-signed.

dcfcsteve
24/11/2009, 12:35 AM
Kenny's as mad as a bag of spanners. More insane than Roy Keane in a lot of ways. Thats probably why he re-signed.

:confused:

You confusing him with Roddy ?

Fr Damo
24/11/2009, 6:39 AM

Dont forget Derry fans have suffered at the hands of the previous board too - ie next seasons pre-paid season tickets and the season ticket holders who paid into the last game of season even tho the club already knew the gate money was a drop in the ocean

comon the new city !

Doesn't happen in business everyday, feel sorry for the fans yes but leaving creditors and ex employees waiting for money and not honouring contracts is thievery. I'll defend J Delaney on many things but DCFC should have been expelled full stop. It was deception!

Sam Heggy is right, most of the clubs who have suffered in the last 18 months have agreed payment plans with creditors, patron schemes with members and not wash their hands of previous errors. They will be better run and more disciplined as a result though very painful now. Really is two fingers to the rest of us in Div 1.

OneRedArmy
24/11/2009, 8:07 AM
Before anyone gets to far up on their high horse

1) the breakdown of the creditors is relevant. The vast majority of the debt (c80% off the top of my head) is to the directors who got us into the mess and the players who signed two contracts. I feel sorry for the remainder of the creditors, and hopefully something will be done to help them (McGinn sell on fee may help the liquidator in this respect).

2) As posted previously, what we are doing in reality is no different to the examinership that Rovers and some other clubs have gone through. The creditors there got almost equally shafted.

tiktok
24/11/2009, 8:31 AM
Well, licencing was set up to prevent exactly this.

1) the breakdown of the creditors is relevant. The vast majority of the debt (c80% off the top of my head) is to the directors who got us into the mess and the players who signed two contracts. I feel sorry for the remainder of the creditors, and hopefully something will be done to help them (McGinn sell on fee may help the liquidator in this respect).

The Liquidator will dispose of what little assets are left to pay the debts to
1. cover his own bill, which will likely use up everything
2. money owed to the person who brought the liquidation order
3. players and employees owed money are preferential creditors
4. Everybody else. Money will be long gone by the time local business get a sniff

2) As posted previously, what we are doing in reality is no different to the examinership that Rovers and some other clubs have gone through. The creditors there got almost equally shafted.

It might be no different in terms of the eventual outcome to creditors, but there's a huge difference [or at tleast there's meant to be] in terms of licencing.

Ronnie
24/11/2009, 8:56 AM
Whats galling in this case, just like Rovers and Cork, is that these options are there simply because these clubs had no property, basically telling any potential club that the last thing you should do is invest in your infrastructure.

pineapple stu
24/11/2009, 9:02 AM
Surprised that no-one's mentioned the role Kenny had in Derry's downfall in the first place - overnight stays, flights and what have you. Given the criticism of him in many quarters, what do people make of him staying on? Is he going to be good with money next season?

basically telling any potential club that the last thing you should do is invest in your infrastructure.
Or invest in it under a different company, as many businesses do.