PDA

View Full Version : Giovanni Trappatoni - Well Done

Pages : [1] 2 3

Reality Bites
21/11/2009, 3:16 PM
Now the Dust has settled, I think its time to thank the manager who despite all the criticism from small men like Dunphy and Curtis proved himself to be a brillant appointment, Trap was cruelly denied a place in World cup with a Team which was very much moulded in his philosphy of the game and we should remember a Team that was in tatters after the Kerr and Staunton eras.

Keith Andrews and Glenn Whelan were hero's on Wednesday night who prospered through Traps belief in these players and the system they were playing in. 18 months ago who had heard of Keith Andrews, now he will live long in the memory as a hero of Stade de France. Sport isn't always Fair but we should be very pleased this man is managing us for the Euro Qualifiers.

Kildare Lad
21/11/2009, 3:40 PM
He was suposed to get Ireland to the World Cup, he's a failure

So are you saying he was expected to finish ahead of Italy, the World Champions, or to beat France, world cup runners up, in the playoff?

I know we came extremely close to both, but I think that is just down to how good of a manager Trap is, on paper we never really stood a chance against either.

Well done Trap, great appointment and has done a good job so far.

Noelys Guitar
21/11/2009, 3:40 PM
Due to Trap we can look forward to the next four years (as I believe he will still be manager through 2014). He has turned us once more into a team that can and will qualify for major championships. Very unlucky this time. But he has restored pride in the team. And I believe most fans now believe that we can again beat anyone, anywhere on our day.

Alf Honn
21/11/2009, 3:50 PM
With the largesse he's been paid and his lazy approach to looking at players, getting us to a play-off was the least we could have expected out of him.

Players clearly respect him so let's see if he can bring them one step further to Euros.

Splurge
21/11/2009, 4:18 PM
The man is a legend and a pure gentleman and were blessed to have him, my heart went out to him after wednesdays result. Hopefully we can give him one last hurrah at the Euros.
Anyone see Dolans rant in fridays star, pathetic fat *******.

jebus
21/11/2009, 4:22 PM
I have my problems with him but he did bring us closer than I expected we would get so I'll tip my hat to him for that

Irish_Praha
21/11/2009, 4:26 PM
Due to Trap we can look forward to the next four years (as I believe he will still be manager come 2014). He has turned us once more into a team that can and will qualify for major championships. Very unlucky this time. But he has restored pride in the team. And I believe most fans now believe that we can again beat anyone, anywhere on our day.

I agree after the sambles that was Stan, Trap was the perfect appointment by the FAI ; if that was by fault or design who knows :)
He has stopped the rot and improved the team immensely. This has also no doubt won back a lot of wainig support.
So for me he has done a great job and passed the first test with flying colours.
However, it will be interesting to see how he approaches the next campaign.
I expect him to stick to his system but surely after the playoff and over two years (when the next campaign starts) with these players he has to trust them more by being that little bit more adventerous.
We have now had a taste of what this team is capabable of when they apply themselves and he needs to get them to deliver such performance more regularly. If we play like that away to France surely we can blow teams like Georgia away at home.
I don't expect us to play like we did against France away in every game because it was a special occasion where winner takes all but we have to cut out performance like Cyprus and Gerogia at home and also be willing to go for a second goal if we go 1-0 up early in a game and not sit back like against Bulgaria.
I just want to state again I am very happy with what he has achieved so far but to qualify fo the Euros I think he will have to go against his nature and be a bit more adventerous with his tactics at times.

Emmet7
21/11/2009, 5:12 PM
With the largesse he's been paid and his lazy approach to looking at players, getting us to a play-off was the least we could have expected out of him.

Players clearly respect him so let's see if he can bring them one step further to Euros.

Lazy approach?

It's all well and good for people like Giles and Dunphy to say he should watch more players playing. Giles lives in England and Dunphy is just across the water.

He has watched more games than people give him credit for, sometimes going to two in one day.

What do you expect him to do, go to every game in England and Scotland featuring an Irish player? There are hundreds of Irish players, and most of them are not up to standard.

He shouldn't be expected to go to lower division games because those players wouldn't be good enough. You couldn't tell from watching Scottish League games if a player is good enough or not, it's not a top league, even Liam Miller is doing well there.

A player in any game only gets about 90 seconds on the ball. So should Trap travel all the way from Italy to watch a player have 90 seconds of possession.

Give the guy some credit, he's been a top manager for 35 years. He can only call up 22-23 players for every squad and if another player is good enough I'm sure Trap will in time become aware of them.

But going to watch every professional Irish soccer player is a waste of time. Watching them on video is a better use of his time. He'd have watched 100 players on video by the time he'd traval to and from one game in England.

jmurphyc
21/11/2009, 5:37 PM

Before he arrived Andrews, Best, Westwood, Delaney, Folan, Foley, Noel Hunt, Lawrence, Nolan, O'Dea, St. Ledger and Whelan had never played for Ireland. He's brought through a lot of players, so I don't understand how someone can say that he doesn't put the effort into looking for new players.

Splurge
21/11/2009, 6:25 PM
I hate this criticism thast he doesnt go to enough games, he can delegate that out. Stan was constantly at games, didnt do him a lot of good.

Scooby Doo
21/11/2009, 7:27 PM
I've stated it previously I think Trap has done an exceptional job and he was vindicated on Wed. I never doubted the man or the team even once during the campaign, can honestly say that my faith in them never waned - but even I was astounded at the titanic performace of every player on that pitch. The intense bitterness that i've felt over the previous days has been somewhat eroded by the notion that he may stay on till 2014. I trust the man 100% with my football dreams and thank god that we are so lucky to have him, Marco and Liam Brady at the helm (now if only we could get rid of that useless tw*t Givens from the U21 setup!). As for those repeatedly critcising Trap for his perceived lack of interest in watching EPL games, a fat lot of good it did for Kerr and the ridiculous Stan. I believe there was definately an element of enjoying the goodtimes while they lasted in both of their insisting on appearing at as many EPL games as possible. Indeed what nicer way to spend a Sat afternoon than at Old Trafford 'watching' John O Shea and blushing modestly when the big-screen catches you gesturing to a fellow manager. Trap is beyond this, has done everything in the game and doesn't need to commute every weekend to London or Manchester or Newcastle. That is what Brady and Tardelli have been doing. This arguement that he is not earning his salary by not navigating Britain every week is pure bunkum!
Thanks Giovanni for making us believe again. In Trap we trust....

Alf Honn
21/11/2009, 7:28 PM
Lazy approach?

It's all well and good for people like Giles and Dunphy to say he should watch more players playing. Giles lives in England and Dunphy is just across the water.

He has watched more games than people give him credit for, sometimes going to two in one day.

What do you expect him to do, go to every game in England and Scotland featuring an Irish player? There are hundreds of Irish players, and most of them are not up to standard.

He shouldn't be expected to go to lower division games because those players wouldn't be good enough. You couldn't tell from watching Scottish League games if a player is good enough or not, it's not a top league, even Liam Miller is doing well there.

A player in any game only gets about 90 seconds on the ball. So should Trap travel all the way from Italy to watch a player have 90 seconds of possession.

Give the guy some credit, he's been a top manager for 35 years. He can only call up 22-23 players for every squad and if another player is good enough I'm sure Trap will in time become aware of them.

But going to watch every professional Irish soccer player is a waste of time. Watching them on video is a better use of his time. He'd have watched 100 players on video by the time he'd traval to and from one game in England.

----

Maybe if we went to watch games, he'd avoid spinning out a complete lie in Sept when trying to defend the omission from his squad of Chris McCann on the basis he'd touched the ball only four times against Man United when in fact he'd made 15 successful of 19 passes.

And Yes, for a manager on 2mill/year, it shouldn't be too much to ask him to travel to England and Scotland a couple of times per month. It's no bother to Capello.

Scooby Doo
21/11/2009, 7:36 PM
----

Maybe if we went to watch games, he'd avoid spinning out a complete lie in Sept when trying to defend the omission from his squad of Chris McCann on the basis he'd touched the ball only four times against Man United when in fact he'd made 15 successful of 19 passes.

And Yes, for a manager on 2mill/year, it shouldn't be too much to ask him to travel to England and Scotland a couple of times per month. It's no bother to Capello.
Would Chris Mc Cann have really made musch of a difference to our campaign? We have players in that position and the arguement that Whelan and Andrews are not good enough finally went out the window on Wed. Some people really will look for anything to moan about :rolleyes:.

Alf Honn
21/11/2009, 7:49 PM
Would Chris Mc Cann have really made musch of a difference to our campaign? We have players in that position and the arguement that Whelan and Andrews are not good enough finally went out the window on Wed. Some people really will look for anything to moan about :rolleyes:.

You've clearly missed the point.

Andrews and Whelan have proven themselves - not disputing that.

What he said about McCann, who has played every Premier League game for Burnley until he got a knee injury, was untrue and out of order.

If he had seen him play, he would not have made such a glaringly wrong statement.

I think Trap's reasoning for excluding him would have been more credible had he gone to watch him play and admitted he didn't think he was good enough at that stage to deserve a run-out against South Africa in the friendly.

Riddickcule
21/11/2009, 7:52 PM
Have we ever seen such an organised Ireland team before he became gaffer?

He's provided stability in the squad, sure his tactics are quite negative, but we need to make the most of him being manager, coz who's gonna replace him?

Razors left peg
21/11/2009, 9:36 PM
The man has done a fantastic job.Yes the are some issues like the Andy Reid situation that I would like to see sorted out but overall no matter who he picks there will always be people saying he should choose someone else.

The likes of Pat Dolan annoy me beyond belief. About a month ago he wrote a piece saying that Pat Fenlon is a genius but will never get near the Irish job because he has managed in the League of Ireland.Big Pat has forgotten that Brian Kerr and Eoin Hand were LOI managers.If that wasnt bad enough he has been constantly bitching about Trap saying that he is past it and no good enough anymore... So basically I think his point is that Pat Fenlon should be choosen to replace Trap, who he has called "The most expensive failure in Irish football history".
I seen Roy Curtis on Setanta before the 2nd leg calling Robbie Keane "a flat track bully" coz he doesnt get important goals, Aparently goals in games dont count unless they are against a country that has won a world cup.

The point that Im getting at is basically that critisism is fine as long as its justified and not done just for the sake of getting a reaction. I dont see any other manager out there(that we would have a chance of getting) that I would prefer to see as manager. The players obviously have respect for him and going into the next campaign I think he will have much more respect for the talents of his players after the fantastic performance they produced in Paris.

On a personal note I hope by the time the next campaign comes around I will have some love back for football because at the moment Im so disallusioned with it that I didnt even bother looking at the results of todays games

ArdeeBhoy
21/11/2009, 9:43 PM
He was suposed to get Ireland to the World Cup, he's a failure

It's not our fault, the cnut doesn't want to play for us.....;)

Perhaps you want to contribute towards his therapy??

tricky_colour
21/11/2009, 10:04 PM
Pozzo - fatto Trapitoni!!

( that means well done trap in 'ITalian according to bablefish, however I have my doubts. it translates back into "made sink"

John83
21/11/2009, 10:26 PM
Pozzo - fatto Trapitoni!!

( that means well done trap in 'ITalian according to bablefish, however I have my doubts. it translates back into "made sink"
I'm sure Trapattoni appreciates the effort all the same, trikkie_kalor.

Reality Bites
21/11/2009, 10:29 PM
The man has done a fantastic job.Yes the are some issues like the Andy Reid situation that I would like to see sorted out but overall no matter who he picks there will always be people saying he should choose someone else.

The likes of Pat Dolan annoy me beyond belief. About a month ago he wrote a piece saying that Pat Fenlon is a genius but will never get near the Irish job because he has managed in the League of Ireland.Big Pat has forgotten that Brian Kerr and Eoin Hand were LOI managers.If that wasnt bad enough he has been constantly bitching about Trap saying that he is past it and no good enough anymore... So basically I think his point is that Pat Fenlon should be choosen to replace Trap, who he has called "The most expensive failure in Irish football history".
I seen Roy Curtis on Setanta before the 2nd leg calling Robbie Keane "a flat track bully" coz he doesnt get important goals, Aparently goals in games dont count unless they are against a country that has won a world cup.

The point that Im getting at is basically that critisism is fine as long as its justified and not done just for the sake of getting a reaction. I dont see any other manager out there(that we would have a chance of getting) that I would prefer to see as manager. The players obviously have respect for him and going into the next campaign I think he will have much more respect for the talents of his players after the fantastic performance they produced in Paris.

On a personal note I hope by the time the next campaign comes around I will have some love back for football because at the moment Im so disallusioned with it that I didnt even bother looking at the results of todays games

We all must remember that Pat Dolan is stark raving mad! - the extent of his madness over the pass few weeks has actually scared me... I would not like to share a lift with this guy.

geysir
21/11/2009, 10:47 PM
We all must remember that Pat Dolan is stark raving mad! - the extent of his madness over the pass few weeks has actually scared me... I would not like to share a lift with this guy.

Is there a lift big enough?

SkStu
21/11/2009, 11:26 PM
Is there a lift big enough?

http://i35.tinypic.com/25incax.jpg

Superhoops
21/11/2009, 11:54 PM
The only disappointing thing for me about Trap is that the Andy Reid situation has not been sorted. It's gone on for far too long.

Whatever went on should not have resulted a player who wants to play for us and who is an excellent passer of a ball not even being on the bench against France. When Miller pulled out, it was an ideal opportunity to bring Reid back in and give us an option in the games against France, particularly in the Paris game, when we needed a replacement for Whelan.

Emmet7
22/11/2009, 12:12 AM
It's pretty clear what Dolan's game is.

The bigger the success Trapattoni is, the angrier Pat Dolan appears to get. I say appears because I don't read what he says and never saw him on the telly but he sounds like he's lost the plot.

Dolan seems to believe he and his fellow LOI managers could manage the Irish national team. What a joke. If these managers were truely good enough they would be making millions abroad.

A succession of the best LOI managers tried their luck in recent years in Scotland and England and all were abysmal failures and that was lower level clubs in England and Scotland.

If Ireland qualified for the WC and did well Dolan would just get angrier and angrier. The day anyone heeds what Dolan has to say about football will be a sad day indeed.

Iano
22/11/2009, 7:17 AM
The players seem to want to play out of their skin for him, he has been very loyal to his system and player choices. He has given the careers of Whelan, Andrews, and Lawrence an incredible boost and hey show their appreciation of his trust on the field, Nice work il Trap.

brine3
22/11/2009, 8:47 AM
Trap took off Duff, Lawrence and Doyle with 20 minutes to go in Dublin. The RTE panel laid into him for it at the time. I also wondered what the hell he was doing. In retrospect, it was a genius decision that took some balls to make. He realised that with Anelka's away goal, it was more important to score in Paris than in Dublin, so he saved his best attacking players for Paris. He saw the whole tie playing out in his head and calmly made the right decision. So we had a fresh Duffer in Paris who made a brilliant assist in one of the best Ireland moves ever.

And the man saw the potential in Liam Lawrence, who has been a revelation since he's been picked. Let's face it, who thought he'd be any good.

His tactical training and man management is great, he had four days with the team between Dublin and Paris and it was like a different team on the Wednesday.

Brilliant manager.

Deckydee
22/11/2009, 9:48 AM
Whos Giovanni Trappetoni? I think you mean Giovanni Trapattoni? ;)

First, one word LEGEND

Second, does anyone have a link to these stories? Would love to read them

Irish_Praha
22/11/2009, 10:46 AM
And the man saw the potential in Liam Lawrence, who has been a revelation since he's been picked. Let's face it, who thought he'd be any good.

Well a few of us on here saw his potential a while back but then again it is easy to say that about any Irish player in the EPL & Championship. It's more difficult when you are limited to picking 22 or 23 players for a squad and have to leave other out for them.

http://foot.ie/forums/showpost.php?p=1006450&postcount=48

Scooby Doo
22/11/2009, 11:00 AM
Brilliant LMAO!! Where did you come across this little ditty???:D

Stuttgart88
22/11/2009, 12:28 PM
Trapattoni: The metaphor that springs to my mind is that of a student taking an exam. He could have done more during the year, maybe he left out some parts of the course, some of his homework was late and maybe his performance in class was a bit uninspiring at times, but in the big exam he was very well prepared and just missed out on the highest mark.

Stan on the other hand attended every lecture & tutorial and was an enthusiastic student but flunked the exam badly.

weldoninhio
22/11/2009, 5:49 PM
So are you saying he was expected to finish ahead of Italy, the World Champions, or to beat France, world cup runners up, in the playoff?

I know we came extremely close to both, but I think that is just down to how good of a manager Trap is, on paper we never really stood a chance against either.

Well done Trap, great appointment and has done a good job so far.

I'd expect him to beat Montenegro!!

DubJohn
22/11/2009, 6:03 PM
Trap's dignity and behaviour amidst all of the carry on last Wednesday is an example of good sportsmanship and class.

Monsieur Domeneche, Mr angry of east Anglia, the polititians, a good many of our commentators and a few people commenting on forums have a lot to learn about class from a man like Trap.

Hats off to a true gentleman. I am very glad he is our manager.

And yes, he was within a whisker of qualification... He played it just right. The team were mentally perfect on Wednesday evening. They did absolutely everything except take one of a few chances and finish France off with a second goal.

Sin é. We must learn to punish our opponents. We move on.

Let's not let this incident hang over us for another ten years, like some kind of Saipan, and act like the eternal victims. We must use it and come back stronger. We'll meet France again someday.

Thank you to Trap and the team for a great campaign.

Morbo
22/11/2009, 6:49 PM
In fairness the home game against Montenegro was pretty much a meaningless friendly so I wouldn't read anything into that result. Drawing away to Montenegro wasn't a terrible result and we did have a definite penalty turned down in that game.

EastTerracer
22/11/2009, 6:54 PM

I'm surprised to see you back here again Weldoninhio! Having staked whatever reputation you had on a prediction that France would destroy Ireland over two legs I admire your bravery in launching back into this again.

antrimgreen
22/11/2009, 6:54 PM
In fairness the home game against Montenegro was pretty much a meaningless friendly so I wouldn't read anything into that result. Drawing away to Montenegro wasn't a terrible result and we did have a definite penalty turned down in that game.

We should call for a reply :D only having a laugh, the quicker the 2012 ECQ satrts the better!!!

weldoninhio
22/11/2009, 7:52 PM
I'm surprised to see you back here again Weldoninhio! Having staked whatever reputation you had on a prediction that France would destroy Ireland over two legs I admire your bravery in launching back into this again.

Who's going to the WC??

philkildare
22/11/2009, 8:10 PM

HA HA!!! FAT Dolan in action!!! What a pathetic excuse for a pundit!!!

dynamo kerry
22/11/2009, 8:47 PM
Trapattoni: The metaphor that springs to my mind is that of a student taking an exam. He could have done more during the year, maybe he left out some parts of the course, some of his homework was late and maybe his performance in class was a bit uninspiring at times, but in the big exam he was very well prepared and just missed out on the highest mark.

Stan on the other hand attended every lecture & tutorial and was an enthusiastic student but flunked the exam badly.

I love this.

Junior
22/11/2009, 9:38 PM

Though in fairness Trap has been studying the same subject for 40 odd years:D

antrimgreen
22/11/2009, 9:38 PM
I love this.

So do i, class post 88 :)

EastTerracer
22/11/2009, 9:39 PM
Who's going to the WC??

ha ha - that's not what you predicted though. In fact you stated definitively that France would win 3-0 on Wednesday and they never looked like doing that. You also said that Trapattoni would play anti-football but we haven't seen you retract that yet. Welcome back nonetheless.:rolleyes:

irishultra
22/11/2009, 9:46 PM
It's pretty clear what Dolan's game is.

The bigger the success Trapattoni is, the angrier Pat Dolan appears to get. I say appears because I don't read what he says and never saw him on the telly but he sounds like he's lost the plot.

Dolan seems to believe he and his fellow LOI managers could manage the Irish national team. What a joke. If these managers were truely good enough they would be making millions abroad.

A succession of the best LOI managers tried their luck in recent years in Scotland and England and all were abysmal failures and that was lower level clubs in England and Scotland.

If Ireland qualified for the WC and did well Dolan would just get angrier and angrier. The day anyone heeds what Dolan has to say about football will be a sad day indeed.

:rolleyes:

A manager is a manager. Its a damning inditement of our national mentality if players won't respect a LOI manager. Any LOI manager that guides his team to league titles and progression in Europe should definetly be considered for any Irish job.

Emmet7
22/11/2009, 9:56 PM
Trapattoni has won 23 major trophies in Europe and been a manager at the highest level for 35 years. If he was not a good manager over a consistant period, he would now be managing a lower division team somewhere.

23 major European trophies against a few LOI titles. Who do you think is better qualified.

Roddy Collins and the Derry manager went to England and Scotland and both were considered top LOI managers. They flopped over there. Pat Fenlon would flop too as Irish manager, and he would be laughed at by the Irish players in any case.

The LOI is probably the equivalent of League 1 or 2 in England. Would you have a manager from there manage the Irish team?

Reality Bites
22/11/2009, 10:00 PM
:rolleyes:

A manager is a manager. Its a damning inditement of our national mentality if players won't respect a LOI manager. Any LOI manager that guides his team to league titles and progression in Europe should definetly be considered for any Irish job.

Cannot agree with this - ridiculous comment...you need to be consistently managing at a very high level if you can me considered for Irish Job (Kerr and Staunton have we not learned)...Traps managing of Juventus , Inter Milan, Bayern Munich and Italys national team speaks volumes, all due respects to Pat Fenlon he has never managed anywhere near the same level of players or dealt with similar pressures or different tactical scenarios so he should never be even short listed for Future Irish position unless of course he upgrades CV

Strongbow10
22/11/2009, 10:01 PM

thats quality. me and too makes were there when the bloke took that photo too!

Dolan was pretty sound I have to say

irishultra
22/11/2009, 10:39 PM
A high level like Mick McCarthy and Jack Charlton?

Razors left peg
22/11/2009, 10:46 PM
A high level like Mick McCarthy and Jack Charlton?

At least they both played at the highest level, in Charltons case won a world cup

drummerboy
23/11/2009, 8:10 AM
Traps next mission is to blood a few new players in the friendlies before the European Championship quallifiers start next season. First and foremost is a left full. Delaney isn't good enough and never will be. The only player I can think of is Stephen Ward, who is recovering from injury, he is back in light training so hopefully he will start back in.

Other players who deserve a look at is
Marc Wilson (Portsmouth)
Chris McCann (Burnley) when he recovers from injury
Owen Garvan (Ipswich)
Andy Keogh (Wolves) up front

SkStu
23/11/2009, 2:14 PM
Trapattoni has won 23 major trophies in Europe and been a manager at the highest level for 35 years. If he was not a good manager over a consistant period, he would now be managing a lower division team somewhere.

23 major European trophies against a few LOI titles. Who do you think is better qualified.

Roddy Collins and the Derry manager went to England and Scotland and both were considered top LOI managers. They flopped over there. Pat Fenlon would flop too as Irish manager, and he would be laughed at by the Irish players in any case.

The LOI is probably the equivalent of League 1 or 2 in England. Would you have a manager from there manage the Irish team?

Steve Staunton or Pat Fenlon? Who would you pick Emmet?

BigmanCas
23/11/2009, 2:25 PM
Now the Dust has settled, I think its time to thank the manager who despite all the criticism from small men like Dunphy and Curtis proved himself to be a brillant appointment, Trap was cruelly denied a place in World cup with a Team which was very much moulded in his philosphy of the game and we should remember a Team that was in tatters after the Kerr and Staunton eras.

Keith Andrews and Glenn Whelan were hero's on Wednesday night who prospered through Traps belief in these players and the system they were playing in. 18 months ago who had heard of Keith Andrews, now he will live long in the memory as a hero of Stade de France. Sport isn't always Fair but we should be very pleased this man is managing us for the Euro Qualifiers.

I agree 100%