PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Maradona's legacy is tainted?

jebus
21/11/2009, 12:08 PM
One of the run offs from Wednesday is that I've read a few times about how Henry's reputation will be forever tainted in the same way Maradona's was by the Hand of God, one newspaper saying his footballing achievements will be forgotten now, as was the case with Maradona

But I've never really thought this, obviously it's something that comes up a lot when talking about Maradona but he is still considered, generally speaking, to be the world's greatest footballer as far as I know. What's peoples thoughts on that?

The writer may have been British though which might explain it :)

centre mid
21/11/2009, 12:11 PM
I think his stewardship of Argentina may do more harm to his reputation than that incident. Its hard to see them mounting a seroius challenge for the world cup.

Dodge
21/11/2009, 12:15 PM
I know a few Irish fns who would've said that hand of god is their favourite ever. Not now apparently

There are differences though. maradona's reputation was always one of a fighter, rebelious type of player and the archetypal flawed genius. Henry treid to pain himself as an upstanding professional

jebus
21/11/2009, 12:17 PM
There are differences though. maradona's reputation was always one of a fighter, rebelious type of player and the archetypal flawed genius. Henry treid to paint himself as an upstanding professional

Good point

Schumi
21/11/2009, 12:33 PM
Maradona for me is the greatest player of my lifetime. The 'hand of god' incident is a mere sideshow, similar to Senna crashing into Prost in Japan in 1989.

Dodge
21/11/2009, 12:56 PM
For the record I absolutely adore Maradona. I'd call my (non existing) son Diego if I had a say

Predator
21/11/2009, 1:14 PM
...maradona's reputation was always one of a fighter, rebelious type of player and the archetypal flawed genius...

Good point. I would have to say Maradona's legacy is certainly tainted, but as has been mentioned, that is typical of many greats. Maradona's whole career was littered with controversy and I wouldn't say the 'Hand of God' incident is the sole contribution to his tainted legacy.

George Best was another one of those archetypal flawed genius characters, although his on-pitch actions did nothing to taint his reputation.

bennocelt
22/11/2009, 8:30 AM
No, Maradona is my all time fav player. Love him

Stuttgart88
22/11/2009, 10:28 AM
maradona's reputation was always one of a fighter, rebelious type of player and the archetypal flawed genius. Henry treid to pain himself as an upstanding professionalThat's exactly what I was thinking. With Maradona you always took the rough with the smooth, with Henry you really only ever saw the smooth.

tiktok
22/11/2009, 12:04 PM
I think the direction Rivaldo's career and reputation took after his 'ball hits shin, drops clutching face, opposing player sent off' incident at the World Cup is a Better cheating parallel, Henry's efforts to paint himself a gentleman pro is a factor. Maradonna scored one of the greatest goals in WC history a short while after that goal, he's one of the greatest players ever to play the game and as mentioned, he was a bit of a rogue anyway.

Closed Account 2
22/11/2009, 12:44 PM
Maradona was always a rogue type of player. He was probably the most skillfull player to have played football, but he was never going to be the FIFA-poster boy (like Pele, who by the way was half the player Garrincha [a Brazilian with alcohol addiction] was) for reasons such as the hand ball, the drug addictions, the drug taking while playing (1994), the outspoken comments etc. I don't know if tainted is the right word, but Maradona is certainly not a role model for kids, even in Argentina players like Sorin, Zanetti and Redondo are held up to be greater role models (but clearly not more skillfull players).

NeilMcD
22/11/2009, 4:24 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking. With Maradona you always took the rough with the smooth, with Henry you really only ever saw the smooth.

Is that because of the Mach3 blades. :)

stojkovic
22/11/2009, 7:22 PM
Is that because of the Mach3 blades. :)

Mine have gone in the bin.

Its Wilkinson Sword for me from now on.

Acornvilla
22/11/2009, 8:34 PM
it wasnt just the hand of himself that would taint his legace i would have taught his drug taking is a bigger issue?

tetsujin1979
23/11/2009, 9:31 AM
Mine have gone in the bin.

Its Wilkinson Sword for me from now on.
coincidentally I had to buy shaving foam yesterday
picked up King of Shaves oil.

razor
25/11/2009, 10:56 AM
Even though Maradona scored one of the greatest goals ever seen against England, the fact that he cheated meant that his legacy was tainted forever that day.
The 94 world Cup was probably the lowest point and at this stage he's just a laughing stock.
Hopefully Henry will suffer for his cheating.

Splurge
25/11/2009, 11:17 AM
The difference between Maradona & Henry is that apart from the the little mans superior skill he had decency to score the greatest goal of all time in the same game that he did the greatest cheat of all time.

seand
26/11/2009, 9:33 AM
The damage the handball against England caused to Maradona's legacy has to be considered in the context of who it was against. The English have always prided themselves on some sort of morally superior 'fair play' and have always at least given lip service to playing by the rules (and in some ways continue to do so). So the fact that he cheated and did it against against England was never going to be forgiven. You can add in the simmering tension between the nations from the Falklands too. The fact the the British media constantly go on about it may give the impression that people will remember him primarily for cheating but that is plainly not the case, even in 95% of Britain. How many Irish have their memory of Damien Duff tainted by his dive in WC2002?

That all said he had other issues as others pointed out- drugs, various anti-social/psychopathic behaviour and a car crash management career. For me he remains the greatest of them all, a flawed genius who cheated occasionally.

endabob1
26/11/2009, 10:12 AM
Hand of God incident aside, Diego won that world cup on his own (Single handed ;) ) and is the greatest player I have ever seen. His legacy was always one of a flawed genius, Henry liked to portray himself as an ambassador for the game, this is why it's so important that he is shown up for what he really is. It's like the Catholic priests who preached about abstinence and the sanctity of marriage before fiddling with the altar boys.

Henry has a long standing habit of going missing when it counts, CL final for Arsenal when he missed a sitter and then barely touched the ball for the remainder of the 90 minutes before he bleated afterwards about being cheated by the sending off....
"Next time I'll learn to dive maybe, but I'm not a woman."

For those of you who think he was smooth before, I suggest you weren't looking very hard.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2006/teams/france/5123952.stm

dan o d
02/12/2009, 4:48 PM
even in the 1994 world cup when maradona was 34 , he was argentinas best player(up untill being done for drugs), despite his obvious lack of pace and physicality.
henry is not in maradonas league. he was a very good player between 1999-2005 and since them i cant remember him having a great match. he relied too much on his pace and when that went he became exposed.
even in the recent games against ireland, anelka( a player who has never played in a major international tournament and is an effective journeyman) was heads and shoulders above henry. all this business that henry is one of the best players ever is bullsh*t

superfrank
05/12/2009, 8:59 PM
Every time i hear maradonas name i think of the 2nd goal he scored against england. UN-BE-LIEV-ABLE!!

-rW-lK9F6TU
I love that goal but I've always preferred his one against Belgium in the semis. I think it's because he's nearly falling over while hitting a perfect shot. The ability to do that is outstanding.
PFKYOMdesdc

irishultra
05/12/2009, 10:30 PM
even in the 1994 world cup when maradona was 34 , he was argentinas best player(up untill being done for drugs), despite his obvious lack of pace and physicality.
henry is not in maradonas league. he was a very good player between 1999-2005 and since them i cant remember him having a great match. he relied too much on his pace and when that went he became exposed.
even in the recent games against ireland, anelka( a player who has never played in a major international tournament and is an effective journeyman) was heads and shoulders above henry. all this business that henry is one of the best players ever is bullsh*t

While I won't claim Henry has reached the level of performance he was at between 2001 and 2005, he was however class last season.

The Fly
07/12/2009, 4:50 AM
Maradona for me is the greatest player of my lifetime. The 'hand of god' incident is a mere sideshow, similar to Senna crashing into Prost in Japan in 1989.

...and Schumacher ramming into Villeneuve at Jerez in 1997 - Schumi ;)

old git
07/12/2009, 7:56 AM
I love that goal but I've always preferred his one against Belgium in the semis. I think it's because he's nearly falling over while hitting a perfect shot. The ability to do that is outstanding.
PFKYOMdesdc

goal against england was a better goal started out at half way line beat 5-6 players rounded shilton was tackled and still scored as he it was falling ... plus it was against england :D:D

Schumi
07/12/2009, 11:10 AM
...and Schumacher ramming into Villeneuve at Jerez in 1997 - Schumi ;)

Shhh. ;)

el punter
07/12/2009, 12:02 PM
As an aside.....isn't Jimmy Magee's commentary awful on that You Tube as he witnesses the greatest goal in world cup history?

Diego's reputation was enhanced by the Hand of God incident. All part of the amazing little package that is Diego.

Diego, if you're reading this...I love you.

SkStu
07/12/2009, 5:03 PM
goal against england was a better goal started out at half way line beat 5-6 players rounded shilton was tackled and still scored as he it was falling ... plus it was against england :D:D

i dont think Peter Reid would be too happy with the way he let him past him though!! FFS Reidy, at least look like youre trying!

Murfinator
09/12/2009, 9:14 PM
I'd agree that Maradona was always the rebel without a cause kind of player, same as Cantona so when they got involved in their respective incidents I wouldn't say it damaged my reputation of them, because I accepted them as those kind of characters and saw beyond it.

The reasons people admire Henry is a bit different, he's love for his relaxed style and fair play kind of attitude. I've always thought of Henry as a gentleman sort of character and that's why him doing that hurts him a lot more than it would diego or cantona. I'd say it hurt Zidane a bit too.

Acornvilla
09/12/2009, 9:52 PM
I'd agree that Maradona was always the rebel without a cause kind of player, same as Cantona so when they got involved in their respective incidents I wouldn't say it damaged my reputation of them, because I accepted them as those kind of characters and saw beyond it.

The reasons people admire Henry is a bit different, he's love for his relaxed style and fair play kind of attitude. I've always thought of Henry as a gentleman sort of character and that's why him doing that hurts him a lot more than it would diego or cantona. I'd say it hurt Zidane a bit too.
it must have hurt his head atleast:rolleyes:

Dodge
09/12/2009, 10:11 PM
As an aside.....isn't Jimmy Magee's commentary awful on that You Tube as he witnesses the greatest goal in world cup history?

Its may favourite of the English language commentators I've heard (most of them I'd guess)

Different class indeed Jimmy