PDA

View Full Version : Trap: A Hansson Nobody

Pages : [1] 2

Noelys Guitar
20/11/2009, 10:55 PM
Trap calls the ref a Hannson nobody who should never have been sent to ref our match.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer/2009/1120/1224259238341.html

elroy
20/11/2009, 10:59 PM
The guy is upset understandably as we all are. This also seems to have revived sour past memories from 2002 for him. If any of the officials are to be blame, it has to be the linesman not the referee. Perhaps given the reaction of the Irish players he shouldve asked Henry at the time, who knows if he wouldve got a truthful answer.

I prefer to focus in on the fact that he said his dream is to lead us to WC2014, I for one am with you all the way Trap.

Emmet7
20/11/2009, 11:47 PM
In fairness that's twice now he has been the victim of dodgy officiating in two big matches.

I would say it's most difficult for Trap.

All that travelling, all that training and coaching and stressing about every detail, injuries etc.

Players only have to worry about themselves.

Managers have to worry about all 23 players in the squad. The stress must be immense.

Trap has done a monumental job to be honest. He brought us to within a hair's breath of the world cup with a fraction of the talent the French have to choose from.

He truely is a world class manager and deserved more than to miss out on the world cup because of a certain player and worse a certain arrogant and unsporting French Football Federation.

But what's done is done.

But this campaign confirmed to me Trap knows what he is doing no matter what his detractors say. I don't believe there is any other manager in the world who could have done what he has done and he deserves gratitude from the Irish people.

Greenbod
20/11/2009, 11:57 PM
Yes, now if only he'd bring Andy Reid into the squad!;)

Emmet7
21/11/2009, 12:08 AM
Seriously...

What would have Andy Reid done on Wednesday night that the starting midfield/wingers didn't do and do well?

If there was a choice between having Trap as manager without Andy Reid in the squad or no Trap but Andy Reid in the squad, 99.9% of Irish fans would opt for the first option.

If Andy Reid never played for Ireland again, I personally couldn't care less. The guy obviously told someone in the management team where to go and his attitude generally up until he lost the weight recently was poor. It was far too late in the campaign at that stage to upstage the team.

Andy Reid wouldn't have done a fraction of what Keith Andrews did the other night. Andrews was up there for man of the match and he was dominant physically in the middle of the park.

Greenbod
21/11/2009, 12:11 AM
Seriously...

No thank you.....not now.

Closed Account 2
21/11/2009, 12:24 AM
Personally I dont think that much blame lies with the ref, it's the linesman who should be sacked. I saw the ref go over and speak to the linesman for an absolute age, the ref didn't see the handball due to his position, but the linesman had a clear view. The officials lacked confidence in themselves and the linesman bottled it.

monkey9
21/11/2009, 12:58 AM
I thought ref had a decent game, It was the linesman who messed up, in fairness

Fixer82
21/11/2009, 8:55 PM
he wouldnt have hit in a free kick like McGeady did right at the end....that's fo' sho'!

OwlsFan
25/05/2010, 4:03 PM
Trap calls the ref a Hannson nobody who should never have been sent to ref our match.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer/2009/1120/1224259238341.html

I see Blatter has sent him off to the World Cup with his linesman as well. There's two fingers for us if there ever were:

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/referees/

So despite missing one of the most glaring errors of all time, he gets the World Cup gig. Huge pressure on him I'd say. Could backfire (hopefully) on Blatter.

bennocelt
25/05/2010, 5:20 PM
Despite him having a good game upto that point and unsighted for the handball

irishfan86
25/05/2010, 7:07 PM
I don't blame the ref or the linesman, I blame the lack of technology. He had a very very good game if that incident is not considered.

SkStu
25/05/2010, 7:10 PM
I blame Henry for cheating.

jbyrne
26/05/2010, 7:51 AM

poor positioning by the ref which i blame him for

OwlsFan
26/05/2010, 9:15 AM

I understand that (the linesman is also going I think) but are there so few referees around that the team of officials which missed the most talked about football incident in years still goes to the World Cup? Didn't he officiate at a recent CL game and not do too great a job?

Closed Account 2
26/05/2010, 9:22 AM
Arsenal - Porto in Portugal I think ?

Den Perry
26/05/2010, 9:36 AM
I don't blame the ref or the linesman, I blame the lack of technology. He had a very very good game if that incident is not considered.

You don't blame the ref or linesman? Two players offside, obvious handball,ref won't discuss with third
official. Cop on

shakermaker1982
26/05/2010, 9:51 AM
Cfdh

I think your right. It was the Sol Campbell/gk back pass mix up. Wenger had a fit on the touchline.

If that linesman is going to the WC then God help the two teams involved who get him running the touchline.

jbyrne
26/05/2010, 9:54 AM
ref won't discuss with third
official

were we not told at the time that he wasnt allowed discuss with the fouth official? however, on MNS last monday it showed an incident in the bray match where the ref sent a player off after discussing with the linesman AND the fourth official

geysir
26/05/2010, 11:10 AM
were we not told at the time that he wasnt allowed discuss with the fouth official? however, on MNS last monday it showed an incident in the bray match where the ref sent a player off after discussing with the linesman AND the fourth official

There are more than a few high profile incidents where a ref's decision appeared to be heavily influenced by communication with the 4th official, at least from someone who was jabbering into his earpiece. I'd assume the ref would not have made already a decision or hesitated.

We have permission to feel insulted,
Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet wrote at the time.
"There will be no World Cup for Ireland and I assume that Team Hansson (ref and assistants) has also forfeited its right to continue to take charge of major international matches.
"Anything else would be a further insult to the Irish nation."

Was Wenger complaining that Hansonn allowed Porto to take the quick free kick?
No team should be allowed to take quick free kicks except Asenal:rolleyes:

jbyrne
26/05/2010, 11:31 AM
Was Wenger complaining that Hansonn allowed Porto to take the quick free kick?
No team should be allowed to take quick free kicks except Asenal:rolleyes:

i think there was more to it than that. Hansonn appeared to demand the ball from the Arsenal GK and then immediately placed it for porto to take the free kick with the GK well out of a position as a result of having to hand the ball to the ref

osarusan
26/05/2010, 12:07 PM
I see Blatter has sent him off to the World Cup with his linesman as well. There's two fingers for us if there ever were

Sure, everything is done just to spite us. Blatter threw some dynamite into that volcano just to mess with our airspace too.

I thought he had a good game until the handball, especially when not giving a penalty to Anelka a few minutes earlier. One mistake (if you can call it that given he couldn't see it), however significant, doesn't mean his career should be over in my opinion, and if he's on a panel to go to the world cup, he shouldn't be kept at home to placate a country who won't be there.

TheBoss
26/05/2010, 1:48 PM
I thought he is awful through the match, everytime Henry fell, it was a foul, everytime Doyle jumped and got the ball, it was a free-out, happened all night long, also added an extra 1 1/2 mins at the end of the game.

bennocelt
26/05/2010, 3:48 PM
I thought he is awful through the match, everytime Henry fell, it was a foul, everytime Doyle jumped and got the ball, it was a free-out, happened all night long, also added an extra 1 1/2 mins at the end of the game.

Watched a different game to me so

OwlsFan
27/05/2010, 9:27 AM
Sure, everything is done just to spite us. Blatter threw some dynamite into that volcano just to mess with our airspace too.

I thought he had a good game until the handball, especially when not giving a penalty to Anelka a few minutes earlier. One mistake (if you can call it that given he couldn't see it), however significant, doesn't mean his career should be over in my opinion, and if he's on a panel to go to the world cup, he shouldn't be kept at home to placate a country who won't be there.

So, in your job, you're in charge of fire safety and the factory goes up in smoke and it's no fault of yours because your assistant didn't notice a smoke detector isn't working, you get promoted and now look after fire protection in the main office. Please....there would have to be some ulterior reason other than "well Osarusan did a good job prior to that. Pity about the factory though".

Serb
27/05/2010, 9:46 AM
So, in your job, you're in charge of fire safety and the factory goes up in smoke and it's no fault of yours because your assistant didn't notice a smoke detector isn't working, you get promoted and now look after fire protection in the main office. Please....there would have to be some ulterior reason other than "well Osarusan did a good job prior to that. Pity about the factory though".

Not really a fair comparison. In your analogy, the managers probably gave a shít about the factory.

osarusan
27/05/2010, 9:56 AM
Please....there would have to be some ulterior reason other than "well Osarusan did a good job prior to that. Pity about the factory though".

The only ulterior motive here is the one you want to read into the selection of Hansson as a World Cup referee.

If you want to believe that those who select referees for the World Cup selected Hansson on the basis that it would be a gesture of " two fingers" to the Irish, then go ahead. I think it's ludicrous.

gustavo
27/05/2010, 10:15 AM
If they were only bringing refs to the World Cup who hadn't made an error in a game previously it would be a very small list

geysir
27/05/2010, 11:36 AM
An error? understated to the extreme.

World referee.com
"abysmal would be a generous description of Hansson's performance"

"It is interesting to compare Martin Hansson and Claus Bo Larsen. While UEFA often entrust Larsen with high profile matches between big clubs, the biggest game they have given Hansson in 8 years on the list is a UEFA cup 1/4 final. Larsen rarely makes a mistake, is consistent, calm and assured. Hansson seems to make dodgy decisions with alarming frequency, look back at the previous match reports to see. And yet which of the two is on the list for the World Cup, and which took charge of the Confederations Cup final this year? FIFA must have seen something in Hansson that neither I, nor UEFA apparently, have.

Martin Hansson (http://www.worldreferee.com/site/match.php?refID=504&matchID=22919)

osarusan
27/05/2010, 12:01 PM
Wow, what a piece of selective quoting there geysir.

The quote about his abysmal performance is in realtion to his positioning for the goal.

Here it is in full.

Handball
Of course Henry has not covered himself in glory, and you can blame him for cheating if you want. However, the purpose of the referee is to detect infringements of the laws and to punish offences appropriately, and so Martin Hansson must accept full responsibility for this disgracefully unfair goal. He was in a very poor position for the whole incident, and it is hardly surprising that he did not see it. A referee at this level should be able to read the game well enough to get to a position from where he can see any key incidents, and in this regard abysmal would be a generous description of Hansson's performance.

Here's the comments on his overall performance:

Good performance until then
I was quite surprised by how well Hansson performed for most of the match, in particular not being fooled by Anelka's dive in an attempt to win a penalty. I was almost willing to accept I was wrong, and that actually he did merit this appointment. But then, true to form, he made a serious mistake.
But that quote doesn't quite fit the picture a lot of people want to portray, does it? Anyhow, I would take anything on that site with a large pinch of salt. Regarding the comment on his positioning, no referee can ever be in a position to see everything.

And furthermore, my point earlier in the thread isn't about Hansson as a referee, my point is that I find nonsensical the idea that he has been selected for the World Cup (where any error will reflect badly on those who selected him) just to rub Ireland's noses in it.

OwlsFan
27/05/2010, 12:05 PM
The only ulterior motive here is the one you want to read into the selection of Hansson as a World Cup referee.

If you want to believe that those who select referees for the World Cup selected Hansson on the basis that it would be a gesture of " two fingers" to the Irish, then go ahead. I think it's ludicrous.

The Irish part is incidental. It's Blatter showing he is the boss and he doesn't care what anyone thinks. The "Hansson team" should not be going to the World Cup having made a terrible error which got worldwide coverage. In my opinion it is ludicrous to think that there isn't a posturing signal in this selection.

osarusan
27/05/2010, 12:26 PM
The Irish part is incidental.
Incidental to whom?

Not you obviously, as you see Hansson's selection as a gesture of "two fingers for us [Ireland]".

Maybe, just maybe, those that selected him decided that this one incident shouldn't be a guillotine on his career. I think it's more likely than Blatter risking the integrity of decision-making during Hansson's World Cup game(s) just to show who's boss.

Wolfie
27/05/2010, 12:36 PM
So, just to clarify.

Blatter is definitely to blame for the volcano and Hansson burns down factories in his spare time, right?

"Hmm Bop" indeed.

geysir
27/05/2010, 12:49 PM
Wow, what a piece of selective quoting there geysir.

I selected the nutshell version. The art is in capturing the essence of an opinion and I succeeded succinctly.

The quote about his abysmal performance is in realtion to his positioning for the goal.
Yes I know that, why do you think I picked it? looks like you missed the plot :rolleyes:
I have serious doubts about your positioning and observation in this debate. I was replying to the description of "error" used in the previous post to describe Hansson's mistake.

And furthermore, my point earlier in the thread isn't about Hansson as a referee, my point is that I find nonsensical the idea that he has been selected for the World Cup (where any error will reflect badly on those who selected him) just to rub Ireland's noses in it.

I was not replying to your post and your point is not germane to my post.
I never mentioned conspiracy.
Look before you leap:)

osarusan
27/05/2010, 12:55 PM
I have serious doubts about your positioning and observation in this debate. I was replying to the description of "error" used in the previous post to describe Hansson's mistake.

What word would you use to describe it? I see no better word than error, what we'd choose differently are the adjectives to go before it.

Fair point on the last part of the post, that was (or should have been) directed at OwlsFan, as you haven't implied any conspiracy.

EDIT: Anyhow, I've made my point on what I think about the conspiracy involved in Hansson's selection for the world cup, so I'll bow out. I hope he does well there.

geysir
27/05/2010, 2:32 PM
What word would you use to describe it? I see no better word than error, what we'd choose differently are the adjectives to go before it.

The absence of an adjective was the glaring omission..

Fair point on the last part of the post, that was (or should have been) directed at OwlsFan, as you haven't implied any conspiracy.

OwlsFan did not imply conspiracy. His opinion is an interpretation of an action, his opinion does not imply a conspiracy.

Réiteoir
27/05/2010, 2:46 PM
I hope that France get to the Final and Hansson is selected to referee it.

That'd send the tinfoil hat wearers all over Ireland into meltdown

OwlsFan
27/05/2010, 4:15 PM
Incidental to whom?

Not you obviously, as you see Hansson's selection as a gesture of "two fingers for us [Ireland]".

Maybe, just maybe, those that selected him decided that this one incident shouldn't be a guillotine on his career. I think it's more likely than Blatter risking the integrity of decision-making during Hansson's World Cup game(s) just to show who's boss.

Incidental, in so far as it could be Montenegro, Latvia, Denmark, Northern Ireland, Wales, France - opps, no not France, England, no opps no England.

Conspiracy requires more than two people coming up with a scheme. No, this is just Blatter. If the decision had been the other way round and France were the victims of an outrageous goal by Ireland missed by both the referee and linesman, do you think the latter two Officials would be going to the World Cup? I know you can't answer that but I believe they most definitely would not.

Blatter is in charge. He did not like the fuss we made about the whole matter and which called in to question his judgement about video technology etc etc. His answer, I am sticking by my guns and the same Officials are off to the World Cup and all is well in FIFA land. Ireland? Who are they again?

geysir
27/05/2010, 4:48 PM
I hope that France get to the Final and Hansson is selected to referee it.

That'd send the tinfoil hat wearers all over Ireland into meltdown

What blackhole did you crawl out of?

Start lighting your penny candles, get down on your knees, close your eyes and really really pray hard for your hope to come true.
You don't have to waste your energy promising you will be a good boy - no one believes that shíte anyway.

Réiteoir
27/05/2010, 5:21 PM
no one believes that shíte anyway.

Much like the half baked "conspiracies" of "OMG FIFA are out to get poor little us" that some peddle round here and other places...

geysir
27/05/2010, 7:05 PM
OMG? wtf is that?
If you have a rational point to make on any post please feel free.
If you just come to express some childlsh whim, you are in the wrong place - go to your church of choice instead.
But most probably, for some infantile reason, you are just engaged in trolling.

Charlie Darwin
27/05/2010, 9:29 PM
FIFA do tend to punish referees who make big errors in big games. Graham Poll was sent home from the 2006 WC (and retired as a result) following the infamous three yellow cards, and the referee that screwed Italy in South Korea was similarly dispatched.

I wouldn't buy into the conspiracy theories, but I wouldn't be surprised if this referee's appointment was an expression of authority on the part of FIFA/Blatter. He certainly wasn't appointed because he's a great referee.

geysir
28/05/2010, 10:21 AM
The omission of Claus Bo Larsen from the list of refs selected for the WC, is more than remarkable.

OwlsFan
28/05/2010, 2:00 PM
The omission of Claus Bo Larsen from the list of refs selected for the WC, is more than remarkable.

Who is he when he's at home ?

geysir
28/05/2010, 2:47 PM
Daddy?

Charlie Darwin
28/05/2010, 3:26 PM
It's an odd one, especially as it's the last tournament he'll be eligible for. Perhaps he hasn't made enough high-profile mistakes.

Looks like UEFA has granted France the Euro 2016 championships. Surely they should have known that giving it to England would annoy us more? At least it's a tournament they'll be able to qualify for legitimately.

geysir
28/05/2010, 3:31 PM
How legitimate was the selection of France with Platini in charge?
It's, ahem..... France (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/8711016.stm)

Food for a good conspiracy there.

osarusan
21/06/2010, 9:26 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/irish/8752850.stm

Swedish referee Martin Hansson is hoping that the Irish nation can forgive him for the mistake which ended the country's World Cup dreams.

Hansson failed to spot Thierry Henry's infamous handball in last November's World Cup play-off as France edged out a heartbroken Republic of Ireland.
The Swede is a referee at the current World Cup but has yet to take charge of a match.
"I love the (Irish) people. I love the island. I love the beer," said Hansson.
Speaking at Monday's referees day at the finals in South Africa, Hansson said that he cried in the Stade de France dressing-room after learning of his mistake in the crunch game.
"Of course, when I realized what a mistake it was," he said.
A consoling visit from an Irish team official helped, and he hopes to be welcomed next time he visits the country.

Jicked
21/06/2010, 11:11 PM
That didn't seem to be his attitude after the game? Just like Thierry Henry was so upset after he celebrated, then gave a light-hearted interview after the game, dismissing the incident in the tunnel :rolleyes:

theworm2345
22/06/2010, 12:08 AM
Anyone notice how the Malian referee who reffed the U.S. game last week was banned from the rest of the World Cup? I didn't see the game, but I did see the incident and I don't know what the infringement was for but the U.S. did clearly have a guy offside. Why does this guy (who as far as I'm concerned is a hero :p) get banned when Hansson is then put in charge of a Champions League game (was it Arsenal vs Porto?)? I suppose the market in America, unlike in Ireland, has a lot of room to grow and any publicity is good publicity...I'm sure Blatter and FIFA aren't able to sleep with all of this Anelka/Domenech/France crap either :rolleyes:

While the only full matches I have watched have been Nigeria's, from what I have seen/read/heard this is the weakest World Cup that I can remember and though I thought I would get over this incident that weakness (which would have been a great opportunity for us to exploit) just makes me even more ****ed. Just 20 days left in this **** show then maybe I can move on :mad: