PDA

View Full Version : John Delaney

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

TonyD
20/11/2009, 7:45 PM
I don't know how much truth there is to this, so I'm not going to blow my top just yet... I'm one of many (I suspect) who is always willing to believe the worst where The Laney is involved, so I'm really just posting this to see if anyone else is aware of it.

Anyhow... here's the story (heard today from a Bohs fan). In the middle of his cringeworthy efforts to obtain a replay in the France - Ireland tie The Laney (allegedly) said that the tie should be replayed as it was such an important game, and it's not like we were talking about Bohs v Waterford.. or words to that effect. Did anyone else hear anything like this ? As I said, I'm not going to go off the deep end yet, but if he did say it it's a thundering disgrace and a resigning matter. The Bohs fan in question was at the match and heard this from numerous people on his return.

SkStu
20/11/2009, 7:46 PM
yeah he made the comparison twice by all accounts but the second time changed the teams to Fingal and Bray (or similar).

Idiot.

Mad Moose
20/11/2009, 7:50 PM
An incredible incompetent who has proved that incompetence throughout his tenure. It really wouldn't be overly surprising that he would come out with it.

TonyD
20/11/2009, 7:55 PM
I'm hopping mad that this is true. It doesn't really surprise me,but it does sicken me. The LOI clubs should be demanding that he resigns. To have the Chief Executive display such contempt for the league which his association are supposed to be running is an absolute disgrace. :mad: I'm bloody thrilled Ireland didn't qualify if that's his attitude.

SwanVsDalton
20/11/2009, 7:56 PM
World Cup qualification is worth over 25 million to the FAI. So he's absolutely right and, in those terms, it's not even remotely derogatory. If he actually said it.

thesilverfox
20/11/2009, 7:59 PM
he said on matt coopers show last night ata bout 5pm if anybody can find it anywhere they delayed the 5pom news to talk to him and he definatley said something along the lines of: "this isnt like waterford playing bohemians down in waterford"

he is a muppet. hope he stays away from us on sunday

Dunny
20/11/2009, 8:06 PM
Its a Ffffaaaaarrrrcccce

joema
20/11/2009, 8:10 PM
Eh Delaney would be dead right to say that, tbh.

SPXcyan
20/11/2009, 8:22 PM
I agree.. I dunno anyone would be hoppin over it ^^

stann
20/11/2009, 8:37 PM
he said on matt coopers show last night ata bout 5pm if anybody can find it anywhere they delayed the 5pom news to talk to him and he definatley said something along the lines of: "this isnt like waterford playing bohemians down in waterford"

If that is what he said then that's not derogatory in the slightest IMO.
I'd read it to mean that, of two controversies (I recall some suggestion in some quarters of a horrible fix being perpetrated :D) in recent times that Delaney has been connected with, the Ireland-France thing is by far the greater. No?
I didn't hear what went before mind you, nor anything about Fingal and Bray either.
And to be honest, even if it was meant as people are only to willing to believe it was, it's still not that big of a deal.

mr.untitled
20/11/2009, 8:52 PM
heard what he said, there was nothing derogatory in it.

paudie
20/11/2009, 8:56 PM
Delaney is really milking this story for all its worth to get publicity for the FAI.

He knows very well there will be no replay.

gustavo
20/11/2009, 9:20 PM
World Cup qualification is worth over 25 million to the FAI. So he's absolutely right and, in those terms, it's not even remotely derogatory. If he actually said it.
Yea but he was trying to make a comparison so by way of saying how important that game was he was using senior clubs in this country as a demonstration of something unimportant

A face
20/11/2009, 9:29 PM
To be honest i wouldn't crucify him for an off-the-cuff comment but if it was in earshot of the media then he should receive all the criticism he deserves, more for the stupidity of the comment more than anything else. What is the guy thinking, the league is under the FAI remit so it reflects badly on their own effort.

If he made this comment, in the context that is being portrayed then he has made his bed. Its made up my mind ...... and steady on, dont attack that until you hear the motive.

Alot worse has been said about the league, and the league has many problems, alot of them inherent from the compounded mismanagement of the powers that be for the last fifty years. 'From the top down' is a phrase that holds alot of truth in management and none more so than in the case of Irish domestic football. The guy needs to be above these types episodes, and to even be associated with them suggests too much about his ability. And the suggestion is really writing on the wall. He just may not be up to the job. Fair play for his efforts to date though.

My point, his comment doesn't reflect well on his own ability.

Riddickcule
20/11/2009, 9:34 PM
We lost at the Stade de Farce....hahaha

Yeah Roy Keane summed up John Delaney pretty well, such a gormless fellow imo.

JC_GUFC
20/11/2009, 9:37 PM
He was making the point that it wasn't just a run-of-the-mill league game, it was a game was of huge importance. He could easily have used Bolton v Man United as an example but unlikely any of his predecessors actually chose to mention our league!

SwanVsDalton
20/11/2009, 9:40 PM
Yea but he was trying to make a comparison so by way of saying how important that game was he was using senior clubs in this country as a demonstration of something unimportant

A game watched by millions, followed across the globe and with seriously lucrative potential, both culturally and financially, is much more important than a domestic league play off for the FAI. That's just the truth.

It not to say a domestic game is 'unimportant' - or that nobody gives a damn about Bray/Fingal/Bohs/whoever. It's just highlighting how big Wednesday's game was for the FAI. That's all.

It's a non-story. Again, if he said it.

dong
20/11/2009, 9:42 PM
We lost at the Stade de Farce....hahaha

Delaney is far from gormless in my opinion. He played the political game within the FAI with all its legendary backstabbing and shafting antics and snaked his way to the top. He may not be the best media operator as he never looks genuine but he is a shrewd man in many ways.

Keane, don't get me started. I had a lot of time for him but he has gradually gone down in my estimation since he went into management due to his constant negative bleating to the media.

GalwayRed
20/11/2009, 10:02 PM
It's a non-story. Again, if he said it.
Yeah he said it at the press conference calling for the france match to be played.
Agree with JC_GUFC. It looked like all he was trying to say was its not like a league match where the incidents will balance out over the season. Personally I don't see anything wrong with him saying it.

MariborKev
20/11/2009, 10:09 PM
Imagine Delaney had said "This isn't Wigan v Bolton we're talking about"

I'd wager that those posting in a "Won't someone think of the children" style on this thread would be queuing up to have a go at him for not mentioning Irish sides

bholg
20/11/2009, 10:14 PM
I heard him say it on the phone to Matt Cooper... was surprised to hear it.

It made me think all this sanctimonious bleating will come back to bite him on the ar-se. How many dodgy decisions are made every week in the LOI? When an example of blatant cheating happens in a big game and is caught on camera, what will he say when the floods of protest start coming in? he will look a wee bit hypocritical. What if a similar incident happens in the cup final? would he sanction/order a replay? or no (i.e. this game isnt really all that important and we will let it slide?)

I just pray when the day comes it isnt us! faaaaaaaaarrrrce

A face
20/11/2009, 10:28 PM
Personally i'll see how the off-season goes but this sways my opinion. He has chosen the side of the fence for himself, nothing to do with me. It was a stupid comment to make, and no one can disagree with that. The knives were out for him long before now for him (and i never had one out, i always said he needed the room to operate) but with these type of comments its inevitable. Sod it, i'm not gonna shuffle around this at all ..... i dont like that fact he said it. I wont apologise for it and its just one of the points/events/opinions/whatever that have formed my take on the guy. Thats the way it works and he knew that.

He put his head on the block, he can deal with it. Does he run down junior football that same way?

mandrake
20/11/2009, 10:31 PM
delaney totally right its not bohs v water ford etc its world cup play off, of couse its more important, jesus some people on here get annoyed over anything, as maribor said if delaney said said sunderland v wigan yis would complain

CF1989
20/11/2009, 10:55 PM
i wonder if the same thing happened sunday would the FAI replay the game. no!

bholg
20/11/2009, 11:07 PM
While not complimentary, I don't think it was a 'kick in the balls' to the league- but rules are rules everywhere and must be universal. Therefore if he thinks a rematch is appropriate in this case, it must be applicable everywhere there is proven injustice. Which is the main reason a replay could never happen anyway. Its incredibly silly reasoning for a 'clutch at straws' whinging request. He is a tw@t.

Riddickcule
20/11/2009, 11:55 PM
delaney totally right its not bohs v water ford etc its world cup play off, of couse its more important, jesus some people on here get annoyed over anything, as maribor said if delaney said said sunderland v wigan yis would complain
You sir, talk sense, a good quality to have.

Riddickcule
21/11/2009, 12:07 AM
Because supporting Ireland is supporting your country instead of your town/city.

Surely thats a little bit more important than your club?

Alf Honn
21/11/2009, 1:08 AM
This fool has insulted supporters of League of Ireland and should apologise.

Not only did he quote Bohs v Waterford at his own press conference, he repeated it on Matt Cooper's show an hour later. Listened to it back on the recording and hardly could be described as a slip of the tongue.

What an arrogant git. The LoI clubs rounded together last year because the FAI were more interested in the International scene than the domestic game. Here's further proof.

Following hot on the heels of the the League Director defending the lack of First Div coverage on MNS because 'you don't put your worst suits in the window of Louis Copeland', Mr. Delaney kicks a league that is already on it's knees.

Remember Delaney got a SIX YR CONTRACT extention till 2012 and one of his mantras was the LoI thriving under his strewardship.

In any other business, this chancer would be a dead man walking but not in the cosy FAI circle. Even though he demeans the club, Waterford, which gave him a first route into the corridors of FAI power.

northwestexile
21/11/2009, 3:50 AM

Think it says more about Keane to be honest. Delaney wasn't C.E. at the time of the 2002 World Cup, it was Brendan Menton, so why would Keane be pi$$ed off that he didnt call him. Just sticking his oar in as usual.

srfc1928
21/11/2009, 7:27 AM
Because supporting Ireland is supporting your country instead of your town/city.

Eh, no.
A very distant 2nd.

sonofstan
21/11/2009, 9:03 AM

No...

A face
21/11/2009, 9:39 AM

No, no it isn't.

gustavo
21/11/2009, 9:47 AM
Except Bohs are the best team in the country

I'm not denying that of course it's more important I'm just saying it's disappointing that he's involving the best team in this country as a metric of something unimportant

Had he followed the Premiership example you can be sure he wouldn't have said Manchester United

baoithe
21/11/2009, 10:15 AM
I've been reading this forum for a number of years primarily to keep an eye on the Sligo Rovers forum but also the Ireland forum.

Prior to this I have not been moved to post a reply to a thread but this thread, for me, typifies the idiotic [MOD EDIT - NOT ON FOOT.IE] that is spouted by alot of League of Ireland fans, of which I am one.

Let's make this clear, Delaneys point was a simple one: this was not a case of cheating in a League of Ireland game where the exposure to such cheating would be confined at most to supporters of both of the clubs. On the contrary, Henry's act of cheating (if you wish to call it that) was carried out on the world stage and therefore the damaging effect to football as a whole was maximised.

And he's 100% correct. Its a valid point - there isn't a soccer fan in the world that hasn't seen the handball incident in the match the other night and it is incredibly damaging to the sport to be seen to allow such things to happen without reprimand or sanction.

Just on Delaney, I've been supporting the League of Ireland since the first Sligo Rovers game I attended in the 1985-86 season against Longford. I was smitten and the League won me over over the following two weeks when we played Bohs and Derry. The latter brought an incredible crowd with them that, to a young fella, seemed to fill the showgrounds. Anyway, the league and the FAI as I've been growing up has been run like a circus. Since Delaney took over I've seen a marked improvement in the administrative structures of the association and he has overseen the implementation of a regulatory structure over the League of Ireland. Sure there have been some fudges but that is inevitable when you are trying to effect change in a political organisation such as the FAI and League of Ireland. But it is my view that if Delaney gets to finish the job he started the league will be a better place. The League this year was fantastic and the most interesting it has been in years.

Delaney has proven commercial experience which I must stress is of paramount importance if you want to run a large organisation such as the FAI. Prior to his appointment we had, for example, sales reps running the show. No offence to all who may get offended but that is a recipe for disaster and it is the reason we had the circus we had for so many years.

So give him a break. He is doing a fairly good job and to be honest lads, he's one of the few people within the game in thsi country with the intellect and desire to run the FAI.

If ye're lucky I will return to make pronouncements in respect of why I think the League of Ireland will never materially grow from the level it is at now.

BohDiddley
21/11/2009, 10:20 AM
Had he followed the Premiership example you can be sure he wouldn't have said Manchester United

True!

This is simple. In making his point, he was trying to establish a clear contrast between something that is vitally important, on one side, and, on the other, something that everyone would recognise as deeply unimportant.

In that sense, it was a deliberate (he said it twice) slight on Bohs, Waterford -- allegedly his own club -- and the League.

el punter
21/11/2009, 10:56 AM
The implication is that a League of Ireland match should be considered or officiated differently to a World Cup play off. That is entirely incorrect. It is disparagging to the League of Ireland. For such a remark to come from the mouth of highest ranking official in Irish Football is mortifying.

passerrby
21/11/2009, 11:11 AM
what happened last wed was not bohs or waterford but our countries biggiest game in years one that could have and should have had a massive financial and emotional lift for everybody in the country (except the roy keane fanclub).
So he is right on the button and for does who feel hurt ,ring joe duffy

Dodge
21/11/2009, 12:20 PM
I think its hailarious that Delaney is looking for "fair" treatment and others within the Irish camp bemoaning the fact that big teams get their way, and then turn around and imply it would be easy to dismiss the claims for fairness if it was only a league game

Either you want fairness for all or you don't

el punter
21/11/2009, 12:26 PM
So he is right on the button and for does who feel hurt ,ring joe duffy

He is NOT right on the button. He could have said - and maybe even meant to say - ''this is not a 5-a-side kickabout after work were talking about, its a world cup playoff..."

but no, without being prompted, the man with ultimate responsibility for stopping this league being a laughing stock further undermines it with a stupid throwaway remark.

MariborKev
21/11/2009, 1:56 PM
but no, without being prompted, the man with ultimate responsibility for stopping this league being a laughing stock further undermines it with a stupid throwaway remark.

If I had been in his position I would have used a LOI example as well. Why? Because I spend most of my time thinking about the LOI.

OneRedArmy
21/11/2009, 1:58 PM
It was a stupid comment to make, and no one can disagree with that. I disagree.

Lots of others on this thread, many of them LOI supporters, also disagree.

monkey9
21/11/2009, 2:00 PM
Yeah, he did say. But i would tend to go along with JC_GUFC's post.

jo84
21/11/2009, 2:19 PM
What John Delaney said is 100 per cent true, this was much bigger than an LOI game, there were millions watching all over the world, and a place at the world cup was at stake. This was bigger than any league game, in any country, where the losing side could at least try make up for it in their next match.

Alf Honn
21/11/2009, 3:36 PM
So, he's says that Fingal or Sligo can't claim a replay on a wrong referee decision tomorrow? What's the profile of the game got to do with justice being served!

This man has belittled the league - his own league.

fbtn
21/11/2009, 4:41 PM
Like many others, I would also have used my own League as an example.

He was merely pointing out that each and every game that has such an incident doesn't fall into the same category as losing a place at most important football tournament there is.

There is plenty of other ammo out there to have a go at him for instead of this non-story.

TonyD
21/11/2009, 5:11 PM
If I had been in his position I would have used a LOI example as well. Why? Because I spend most of my time thinking about the LOI.

So as A Derry City fan do you think games that your club play in are unimportant ? Delaney, as someone else here has pointed out, deliberately used the example of a game between two LOI sides as something that wasn't important. The problem is that this illustrates exactly where the LOI stands in his estimation. And as for the point that if he used two english teams we would complain, well I couldn't give a toss if he had. The point is, he would never have used two English teams as an example of a trivial, unimportant game, particularly not his beloved ManU.

SwanVsDalton
21/11/2009, 5:14 PM
This is simple. In making his point, he was trying to establish a clear contrast between something that is vitally important, on one side, and, on the other, something that everyone would recognise as deeply unimportant. .

How does anyone get that? The only contrast is between something which is much more important than something else - there's no indication he considers the league 'deeply unimportant.'

MariborKev
21/11/2009, 6:20 PM
So as A Derry City fan do you think games that your club play in are unimportant ?

Exactly where did I say that?

blue til i die
21/11/2009, 6:37 PM
do we know maybe he was talking about local club waterford bohemianss v waterford united, in waterford? :D

irishultra
21/11/2009, 7:04 PM
so it wasnt the manner in which henry cheated thats the problem its what was at stake. very well then.

but