PDA

View Full Version : McGeady and who else cheats in this clip?

jebus
20/11/2009, 5:32 PM
I can't quite make him out

Jf9fx4ipF4Q

Robbie might have been unsighted so I'll give Captain Morality the benefit of the doubt for the time being

SkStu
20/11/2009, 5:35 PM
at least 5 Georgian defenders were calling for it too from what i can see... cheats the lot of them.

centre mid
20/11/2009, 5:39 PM
Kevin Doyle puts his hand up instinctively as from his angle it looks as though it may have hit the Georgian defenders hand.

EastTerracer
20/11/2009, 5:41 PM
Jebus, get over yourself. You're just boring us now. Henry handled the ball. Personally I blame the officials more for not seeing it more than him for doing it.

We're not going to get a replay - that doesn't happen in football (apart from the Arsenal - Sheffield United game which was really odd). I traveled to Paris, I'm still sick after the way we went out but fiercely proud of the way we played on the the night. I know the pain will fade in time but the last thing I need is people like you (and himself from Mayfield) posting crap like this.

It's over - go away!

jebus
20/11/2009, 5:42 PM
Kevin Doyle puts his hand up instinctively as from his angle it looks as though it may have hit the Georgian defenders hand.

And the fans calling for it and cheering who had a clear sight of it?

gilberto_eire
20/11/2009, 5:45 PM
How did McGeady cheat? or any player for that matter? :confused:

jebus
20/11/2009, 5:47 PM
How did McGeady cheat? or any player for that matter? :confused:

Calling for a penalty that was never a penalty

They could say they were unsighted but I'd counter that if you're the pinnacle of fair play you shouldn't call for anything unless you are 100% sure

Otherwise you might get an unfair advantage

tricky_colour
20/11/2009, 5:50 PM
It is not too clear where the ball hits on that clip, seems to be the top on the arm/shoulder
so quite reasonable to appeal. To compare that to Henrys double handball is ridiculous!

John83
20/11/2009, 5:51 PM
Jesus, Jebus, I'd report you for trolling if you weren't a mod.

jebus
20/11/2009, 5:56 PM
It is not too clear where the ball hits on that clip, seems to be the top on the arm/shoulder
so quite reasonable to appeal. To compare that to Henrys double handball is ridiculous!

I'm not comparing it to Henry's handball though am I?

I'm talking about the double standards among some Irish fans and players when it comes to cheating. I don't think it's trolling either John, it's a fair point that quite a few of us have made already which others seem to not want to respond to in the main threads. I've just included a video clip this time as some have said they can't quite remember it or that it's not clear that it wasn't a handball

geysir
20/11/2009, 6:01 PM
Jesus, Jebus, I'd report you for trolling if you weren't a mod.

Truly speaking, the lunatics have taken over the asylum.

galwayjames
20/11/2009, 6:01 PM
If Ireland lost this game we would still have qualified for the play-offs and Georgia finish bottom. After this we won 1 from five in our qualifying group so this decision did not have any effect on the outcome of the group, which would be the only reason that there'd be a replay.

I really don't get why people keep referring to this decision when it did nothing for either side, whereas Henry took his side to the World Cup, this decision didn't even change the group standings.

jebus
20/11/2009, 6:08 PM
We're talking about taking advantage of situations to give your team an unfair advantage, doesn't matter about the magnitude of the game

Bottle of Tonic
20/11/2009, 6:23 PM
Jebus,

I refer you to post 31 in the current Roy Keane thread, made by one of the sanest posters on this site - Stutts88.

Read it, consider it. How can you then not see the difference between the Henry handball and our penalty vs Georgia?

You're either a serious wind up merchant, or the kind of guy I'd hate to have to meet in real life.

Get over yourself and your Keano-esque agenda.

jmurphyc
20/11/2009, 6:27 PM
We're talking about taking advantage of situations to give your team an unfair advantage, doesn't matter about the magnitude of the game

I don't know all of the player's reactions to the events on Wednesday as I only got back from the match late yesterday, but from what I've heard, they don't exactly seem to be calling France a bunch of cheats. They've merely been calling for FIFA to order a replay. I think that's fair enough and I don't see how that means they have double standards.

We were fighting for qualifying for the World Cup, whereas Georgia were bottom of the group and had little to play for. Plus, by that stage we were well on top and would have deserved a goal. France by no means deserved a goal. The comparison is not really valid.

christo
20/11/2009, 6:31 PM
Player leaned his arm towards the ball, could very well have grazed his arm that video is very inconclusive and so was any other angle, no point there whatsoever

Stuttgart88
20/11/2009, 6:38 PM
Is Jebus a mod? How in God's name?

Stuttgart88
20/11/2009, 6:39 PM
We're talking about taking advantage of situations to give your team an unfair advantage, doesn't matter about the magnitude of the gameYou're truly deluded, you really are, if you can't see the difference.

Billsthoughts
20/11/2009, 6:42 PM

hes spent the whole aftermath of the match on the ireland forum tryin to get a reaction. its boring at this stage.

onenilgameover
20/11/2009, 10:54 PM

honestly there is no credibility to the forum when this happens...wind up merchants are just loving this a la roy keane.

OwenGoal
20/11/2009, 11:09 PM

Yeah, how does one get to be a mod? Does it involve moonlit cavorting on the moors and chickens entrails and rolled up trouser legs and stuff?

Drumcondra 69er
20/11/2009, 11:12 PM
Yeah, how does one get to be a mod? Does it involve moonlit cavorting on the moors and chickens entrails and rolled up trouser legs and stuff?

No, I think you have to ride a vespa and wear a parka though.

OwenGoal
20/11/2009, 11:21 PM
No, I think you have to ride a vespa and wear a parka though.

Even more perverse

Emmet7
20/11/2009, 11:58 PM
Calling for a penalty that was never a penalty

They could say they were unsighted but I'd counter that if you're the pinnacle of fair play you shouldn't call for anything unless you are 100% sure

Otherwise you might get an unfair advantage

I think the French jersey you are wearing at the moment must be cutting off the air supply to your brain.

Why not move to France and tell them how you supported France all along.

Had we drawn with Georgia it would have made no difference to the final standings in the group.

Had we beaten France 1-0, it would have gone to penalties, where with Shay Given in goal, we stood a good chance of victory.

It's actually funny. Most of France is calling for a replay. Henry is calling for a replay. Most of the world is calling for a replay.

And then you have people in Ireland who are demanding there should be no replay.

Typical Ireland! A bit like the game on Wednesday evening, as soon as there is a chance of succeeding at something, Irish people immediately shoot themselves in the foot.

If the French offered a replay, you'd probably say, "ah sure we're grand really".

Grow a pair my friend and don't be so passive about everything.

NeilMcD
21/11/2009, 10:45 AM
This thread and its poster being a mod says it all. How could someone who is openly hostile to the Irish international team be a mod on this forum. A joke.

jebus
21/11/2009, 11:05 AM
I'm not on a mod on the Ireland forum lads but don't let that get in the way of a good round of sticking your heads in the sand

mark12345
21/11/2009, 11:08 AM
You're blaming the officials? Is that the referee and his assistants or FIFA themselves?
Because if your blaming the ref you'll be here in 20/30 years time still blaming refs.

I know because I'm one myself. Try laying the blame squarely at FIFA's door, they're the real problem. Think of England who not only had the Maradona incident but also the Sol Campbell incident when they had beaten Portugal in 2004, not to mention that Diego Simeone baited Beckham into that red card in France 98 (I think) and should have gone himself. All those flaws would have been spotted, not to mention thousands of others around the world, would have been spotted if FIFA allowed in technology and more refs.

Basically speaking if a ref get's a game 75% right he's doing well. You'll just never do a perfect job, it's impossible trying to control 22 twenty-somethings who are bent on sneaking behind your back and hitting off the ball. Furthermore if you are among a group of players gathered in a penalty area and someone hits you from behind, the ref can't see through you. You could be faking, as many do.

The answer is instant replay and more officials on the pitch - two referees and four assistants. But don't get me wrong, I'm as sick about the whole situation as yourself.

mark12345
21/11/2009, 11:13 AM
To Emmet 7

Best post yet on the subject (in his reply to Jebus). You summed it up perfectly my friend. / Mark12345

NeilMcD
21/11/2009, 11:35 AM
I think the French jersey you are wearing at the moment must be cutting off the air supply to your brain.

Why not move to France and tell them how you supported France all along.

Had we drawn with Georgia it would have made no difference to the final standings in the group.

Had we beaten France 1-0, it would have gone to penalties, where with Shay Given in goal, we stood a good chance of victory.

It's actually funny. Most of France is calling for a replay. Henry is calling for a replay. Most of the world is calling for a replay.

And then you have people in Ireland who are demanding there should be no replay.

Typical Ireland! A bit like the game on Wednesday evening, as soon as there is a chance of succeeding at something, Irish people immediately shoot themselves in the foot.

If the French offered a replay, you'd probably say, "ah sure we're grand really".

Grow a pair my friend and don't be so passive about everything.

He is not passive. One thing you will learn about the bizarre nature of foot.ie is that there are people who are moderators on the site, and who post on the international forum who are openly hostile to the international team. Now maybe its my innocence that it should be a fans forum but then again, that could be my problem. Nothing to do with passiveness, there is a number of posters who post here who actually take great delight in knocking and winding up the people who care about the team.

jebus
21/11/2009, 11:56 AM
He is not passive. One thing you will learn about the bizarre nature of foot.ie is that there are people who are moderators on the site, and who post on the international forum who are openly hostile to the international team. Now maybe its my innocence that it should be a fans forum but then again, that could be my problem. Nothing to do with passiveness, there is a number of posters who post here who actually take great delight in knocking and winding up the people who care about the team.

There's also a type of forummer that doesn't seem able to grasp that people have different opinions on matters and so resort to calling people who don't agree them WUM, other internet cliches and saying they don't really love the team/the sport/thecountry.

To the original poster. Maybe I am passive about football, I didn't used to be I'd probably agree with you that I am these days. Don't think I don't have passion for it though, if I didn't I'd have stopped watching by now because my love of the game has taken a few hits throughout the years. There are things about football I absolutely hate but it still hasn't driven me from the sport so there's still passion for it. If I come across as passive then I'd just say that these past few years I've come to accept what my mother used to tell me, that football is only a game. The Jebus of even 5 years ago would knock my head off a wall for even suggesting such a thing but to me now it is. Football should never bring about the absolute levels of hate we've seen from people over the past few days, it's as ugly a side to the game as diving in my book and needs to be addressed. This media driven two sides go to war feeling that was given to football has gone too far in my book and needs to be stamped out just as much as diving does

osarusan
22/11/2009, 9:56 AM
You're truly deluded, you really are, if you can't see the difference.
My view on this would be that in both cases (the video embedded here, and Henry's goal), the team conceding the goal have been very unfortunate in that there has either been a refereeing decision made where there shouldn't have been, or there hasn't been a refereeing decision made where there should have been.

Your argument seems to be that as one is the result of a referee error only, it is different from the other which is a referee error on a case of blatant cheating handball.

But the implication of that argument is that in your opinion, fairness is not actually the issue here, as when the referee is solely responsible for an error, you see nothing wrong with taking advantage of it.

Stuttgart88
22/11/2009, 10:07 AM
Just as I see nothing wrong with scoring a goal if the linesman waves you onside when in fact you were offside. You take the referee's decisions even if you don't like them or if they're not fair. Ireland took an advantage from an unfair decision but didn't cheat, as the original poster suggested.

osarusan
22/11/2009, 10:13 AM
Ireland took an advantage from an unfair decision but didn't cheat, as the original poster suggested.Fair enough, I thought your point was a more general and principled one, whereas you were just (correctly) pointing out the difference to the OP. I misinterpreted the post.

Stuttgart88
22/11/2009, 10:20 AM
Thanks. Unfairness happens all the time, this time were were on the receiving end unfortunately.

To be 100% honest if it had been the other way around I'd be embarrassed and would support any move made to impose a reasonable ban on the offender.

OwlsFan
22/11/2009, 11:29 AM
Had we beaten France 1-0, it would have gone to penalties, where with Shay Given in goal, we stood a good chance of victory..

He went the wrong way for all 5 in Korea so I wouldn't be too sure. Their keeper was motm so it would have been a lottery.

I am not demanding there should be no replay but I don't think there should be one for the simple reason that if Robbie handled and we scored and the French demanded a replay, I'd tell tell to feck off. A travesty yes. Terrible yes. But that's sport and the ref's decision is final. If we're granted one, I would still be on the first plane to Paris but there was never any more than a 1% chance of it happening.

The comparison, however, with the Georgia game is of course a joke for the reasons that have already been well explained.

osarusan
22/11/2009, 12:00 PM
The comparison, however, with the Georgia game is of course a joke for the reasons that have already been well explained.
I don't think it is such a joke if you believe that taking advantage of a poor refereeing decision in itself constitutes cheating, rather than a player delieberately breaking the rules to gain the initial advantage.

Stuttgart88
22/11/2009, 12:20 PM
if you believe that taking advantage of a poor refereeing decision in itself constitutes cheatingDoes anyone believe that?

jebus
22/11/2009, 12:28 PM
Does anyone believe that?

I do, and if you want to talk about the interests of fairness in the game (which the FAI have been doing) I think you need to too

osarusan
22/11/2009, 12:30 PM
Jebus seems to. I don't. But I'm not sure that it's wrong either.

Stuttgart88
22/11/2009, 12:34 PM
I do, and if you want to talk about the interests of fairness in the game (which the FAI have been doing) I think you need to tooSo benefiting a bad decision is cheating. I just can't see it that way. I can appreciate the unfairness of bad decisions, both for and against me, but I just can't see it as being the same as cheating.

jebus
22/11/2009, 12:40 PM
So benefiting a bad decision is cheating. I just can't see it that way. I can appreciate the unfairness of bad decisions, both for and against me, but I just can't see it as being the same as cheating.

I wouldn't call it anywhere near as bad as what Henry did, but I do think that if you (and by you I mean the FAI) want to give lectures on fairness in the game and the need for football to not be tarnished then you would have had to live by that credo, which they didn't here.

We can nitpick at each other about whether or not the players saw it or not (I think they knew it wasn't a penalty, some don't, none of us can say for sure but if I could prove it 100% that they attempted to influence the ref by putting their hands up then that is plain and simple cheating for me), but what of the fans behind the goal?

We've had a lot of sanctimonious drivel from a lot of Irish fans but the ones who had a clear view of the non-handball in that clip certainly try and influence the ref and so have cheated Georgia.

I'm not saying that's wrong either, I'd do the same but then I don't give lectures on the morals of being a footballer either

Stuttgart88
22/11/2009, 1:08 PM
I think appealing to the ref is part of the game, almost as much as it is in cricket. I know in cricket you can't get a decision on a catch unless you ask for it, but it's still the same.

I don't think it's cheating when there's a potential handball & you appeal for it. What really irks me is when the ball goes out off a player and the player then shouts "our ball" when he knows full well it hit him last, and then snarls at the decision.

I doubt we'll agree on this topic though, so I'll bow out here unless there's something you'd like me to answer.

stojkovic
22/11/2009, 3:20 PM
No wonder I dont view this site as much as I used to when I read ****e like this. Think he's just upset that he had to put his inflatable hammer back in the attic.