PDA

View Full Version : Any thought on new Scottish manager?

OwlsFan
20/11/2009, 3:52 PM
Not exactly lots of candidates putting their hands up.

superfrank
21/11/2009, 1:45 PM
It's a bit of a poisoned chalice.

Smith and McLeish did relatively well in their spells and raised the expectations. I think Burley suffered from that. I saw a few of their games under him and thought they played pretty well. They were atrocious against Wales though.

I can't think of anyone who would want that job.

jebus
21/11/2009, 2:07 PM
Souness wanted it before Burley got it didn't he? He could be a good fit for them

Predator
21/11/2009, 3:42 PM
I'm surprised no Italians are being approached.

Agree with the Souness suggestion.

tetsujin1979
21/11/2009, 4:10 PM
Souness has already said he doesnt want it
Darren Ferguson is an interesting name being linked with the job
Ally McCoist might do well there

Splurge
21/11/2009, 4:21 PM
talk of the former swedish manager Lagerback being interested in it, cant see it working, decent enough manager for grinding out results but not high profile enough to ride a storm of a few bad results.
A Ferguson father and son team would be interesting.

irishultra
21/11/2009, 7:05 PM
alex ferguson part time? he should want to manage his country but maby its a bit like wenger and france?

i don't think ferguson would want to ruin his rep by managing a small country like scotland. i mean management is important but its not be all and end all.

superfrank
21/11/2009, 7:44 PM
He managed them for the '86 World Cup.

They lost 1-0 to Denmark, 2-1 to West Germany and drew 0-0 with Uruguay.

OwlsFan
21/11/2009, 11:32 PM
Ally McCoist might do well there

Hasn't he ruled himself out as well?

Since the trend is to go foreign, they might try that but I think Bertie Voghts was a disaster if I recall.

NeilMcD
22/11/2009, 9:51 PM
Lots of similarities with us on this one. They had manager who had they playing to a system, got accused of being defensive but beat the French in Paris and had a system that got them so close to qualifying.

They also had Burley, who while not quite as bad as Staunton, did not pay too much regard to the defensive side of the game and wanted them to entertain more. Well there was certainly more goals when he was the manager but much more to the opposition. Mid Ranking teams like ours need amanager who gets the team organised, playing to a system, working hard and not giving much away at the back and is good from set pieces. So that should be the criteria for the person who gets the job in my view.

tetsujin1979
22/11/2009, 11:29 PM
Hasn't he ruled himself out as well?

Since the trend is to go foreign, they might try that but I think Bertie Voghts was a disaster if I recall.
did he? I hadn't heard that.
After Walter Smith being so successful with McCoist as his assistant, I'd have thought he would be one of the logical choices.

OwlsFan
23/11/2009, 10:33 AM
I heard Craig Levine not ruling himself out of the job following on the victory over Celtic.

osarusan
23/11/2009, 11:05 AM
They could do worse than George Burley.

Predator
23/11/2009, 2:36 PM
David Moyes? Unlikely to leave Everton though?

prince20
23/11/2009, 4:12 PM
Sean Connor:D