PDA

View Full Version : Fans' Forum - review, suggestions and what have you

pineapple stu
20/11/2009, 12:36 PM
Another qualifying campaign out of the way, so I want to have a look at how the forum worked for those who used it. Two main areas - ticket exchange threads and the away match threads.

Ticket exchange
Couple of suggestions recently on this -
> A person selling tickets should be able to set payment means (cash, bank transfer, cheque), and should be able to reject an offer if the payment means are awkward.
> Is the "free for all" coming close to the game appropriate? The point of it is to make it easier to get rid of tickets closer to the game as people travel to it or as it becomes too late to wait for replies from one person.
> Also, my own views - is two months too early to open the list? It seems ticket news comes out a month beforehand, so all you have is people putting their name on the list as a fall-back and often forgetting to take their name off the list, which makes things awkward down the line.
> Is the two-ticket-per-person max still appropriate? Should it be increased?
> Should there be a restriction on applications to posters with, say, 50+ posts? Main reason here is that new posters don't have PM facilities, it seems, which makes things awkward. I don't have a particular problem with people registering purely to get tickets; means they may become regular posters.

Away threads
Open house on suggestions here really. I think I'll keep the new format - split threads for different aspects of the game - as it's easier to search back through, and it also means I don't have as much work to do keeping track of everything. :)

For the French game, there were a couple of threads which popped up - like a meet-up thread - which I'd intend to be covered in the main group of threads. I didn't merge it this time, but I'd intend to put that into the meet-up thread (can't remember what the exact name is) in future. Again, the point is to keep all the info in as few threads as possible, but still with distinct headings so they can be easily searched by people going to games.

I'm a block booker and get away tickets through my club, and in any event, I only made it to Bari this year, so I didn't use the info in the forum too much. Feedback from more regular users appreciated!

Greenforever
20/11/2009, 1:45 PM
Ticket Exchange -

I personally feel that most people with spare tickets are very cautious about who they give them to, me included, and I certainly wouldnt use the list but would pm someone that i feel ive got to know on the site regardless of where they were on the list.

My beef would be that certain people are using it to get rid of tickets too frequently and would ask why have they got an allocation of more tickets than they actually use. Possibly only have it for eople who want tickets rather than facilitating people offloading tickets, which never had to be purchased in the first place save for the purpose of keeping an allocation.

Splitting other threads were very helpful.

pineapple stu
20/11/2009, 1:46 PM
On the exchange thing, we (UCD) get 21 tickets for each match. It's common enough that we'd have one or two left over. I can understand how people in charge of group bookings like that would have regular spares.

Greenforever
20/11/2009, 1:54 PM
one or two, but not 4 or 5 or even more, its while I have great sources and never will want for tickets, seeing what somepeople go through regularly to get tickets it galls me to see the same people offering tickets regularly.

In your case you are very open about the source and im sure would still offer them around to someone who had placed a wanted notice.

eaststand85
20/11/2009, 7:21 PM
First off I'd just like to say thanks to Stu and all the mods who run this site as well as the contributors. As a longtime Ireland fan but relatively recent convert to the concept of forums I've found it great, particularly the Fans Forum and away game threads. Hope I've also been of some assistance to others.

My thoughts below for what they're worth:

A person selling tickets should be able to set payment means (cash, bank transfer, cheque), and should be able to reject an offer if the payment means are awkward. Makes sense to me although I would have presumed all transactions would have to be in cash unless the seller agrees otherwise as they're the one doing the purchaser a favour.

Is the "free for all" coming close to the game appropriate? The point of it is to make it easier to get rid of tickets closer to the game as people travel to it or as it becomes too late to wait for replies from one person. Again, makes sense to me.

Also, my own views - is two months too early to open the list? It seems ticket news comes out a month beforehand, so all you have is people putting their name on the list as a fall-back and often forgetting to take their name off the list, which makes things awkward down the line. Think the rule should be whenever tickets become available rather than a set date before each match.

Is the two-ticket-per-person max still appropriate? Should it be increased? Feel strongly as mentioned previously on threads relating to the Block Booking scheme, that no individual (clubs and supporters groups another story) should ever have control of more than two tickets as it only makes touting easier and think two is a fair number because it also allows someone to bring a friend. Just wish the FAI would adapt a similar approach! :rolleyes: I also agree with Greenforever that certain people are using it to get rid of tickets too frequently and would ask why have they got an allocation of more tickets than they actually use but don't know how this could be controlled.

Should there be a restriction on applications to posters with, say, 50+ posts? Main reason here is that new posters don't have PM facilities, it seems, which makes things awkward. I don't have a particular problem with people registering purely to get tickets; means they may become regular posters. No opinion either way on this, we were all first time posters at some stage but I can also see how it could lead to abuse, by opposition supporters looking to tout particularly.

Away Threads. I agree that the new system of different threads for each aspect of an away trip works better. One way of preventing threads popping up that should be in the main threads could be to have every new thread approved by a mod before it appears on the live site (if this isn't going to be too much hassle for the mods obviously)?

brendy_éire
20/11/2009, 8:39 PM
> Also, my own views - is two months too early to open the list? It seems ticket news comes out a month beforehand, so all you have is people putting their name on the list as a fall-back and often forgetting to take their name off the list, which makes things awkward down the line.

A month in advance should be plenty of time. Could I suggest that the thread is actually opened up a month in advance to the date by a mod? Sometimes it ends up that a 'normal' poster actually starts off the thread themselves.

Personally, I'd prefer this was three, but I don't think that would be entirely fair on others.

Away threads
Open house on suggestions here really. I think I'll keep the new format - split threads for different aspects of the game

Yep, splitting them is great. Spot on.

stiffler
20/11/2009, 8:53 PM
How about a stipulation that you have to be a member for at least 3 months before you can add your name to the ticket request list?

ArdeeBhoy
20/11/2009, 9:21 PM
Good idea, the Forum. Just more rationalization of threads is needed.

As for tickets;we were offered around 50 extras at short notice for the last game at Croke.
But once we get in the new ground means these nos will be far less. As Block Bookers are finding out already.
It just depends how the FAI see fit to get rid of these, but must have bulit-up a massive database of names recently......hopefully there won't bre a rush for the premium 'Vantage' seats, so there'll be extra to get of?

pineapple stu
22/11/2009, 5:56 PM
Could I suggest that the thread is actually opened up a month in advance to the date by a mod? Sometimes it ends up that a 'normal' poster actually starts off the thread themselves.
I usually do, but sometimes I forget. :o

Makes sense to me although I would have presumed all transactions would have to be in cash unless the seller agrees otherwise as they're the one doing the purchaser a favour.
Someone PMed me during the campaign saying he was looking to sell to someone who'd do a bank transfer to keep things easier. That's why I brought it up.

One way of preventing threads popping up that should be in the main threads could be to have every new thread approved by a mod before it appears on the live site (if this isn't going to be too much hassle for the mods obviously)?
Not sure if that'd doable, TBH. If I merge a thread, it'll leave a redirect showing where it's gone, so at least it won't suddenly vanish.

HarpoJoyce
25/11/2009, 2:48 PM
Motivation of the Moderator:
The Summary thread doesn't get updated too often, even when the Moderator is going on an away trip there is an intial post and then the information is put on intermitently. I wouldn't be relying on it.
I posted stuff up on the Away thread for the Summary Thread, either it doesn't make it up or takes a while to be put up.

Ignore list:
It's pretty pathetric that the Moderator has such a large ego that he thinks he can provide a successful invite everyone and anyone to provide a service that shows Information on a destination and a Ticket Market but is proud of the large Ignore List he has. Of course it doesn't work and it didn't work during this campaign, the Moderator admitted that he had to be PMed several times by other posters so that the correct information could be showed. It's a poor performance when other people have to remind the Moderator of his job.

Get a chat Room:
The flirting and petting on the Match thread by a specific group that swamps all other discussion is pretty dull. But they don't keep to themselves, the same crowd demanded that a pub in Podgorica be boycotted by Irish fans because one of the group didn't like the first price they got when the bar obliged them with a quote for a bus service to go arrive in Dubrovnik to Podgorica and return to Dubrovnik. I thought political stuff went in Current Affairs.

pineapple stu
25/11/2009, 3:08 PM
A few comments -

Motivation of the Moderator:
The Summary thread doesn't get updated too often
There is no summary thread. If you were a regular poster instead of a troll, you'd realise that. There's now separate threads for the various aspects of the trip - flights, accommodation, tickets and the game, general chat, things to do, pubs - which to a large extent eliminates the need for a summary thread.

Ignore list:
It's pretty pathetric that the Moderator has such a large ego that he thinks he can provide a successful invite everyone and anyone to provide a service that shows Information on a destination and a Ticket Market but is proud of the large Ignore List he has.
Maybe you should stop talking nonsense and abusing people if you want to be listened to? Start calling people numbskulls and they'll fairly soon start ignoring you. If you want respect, I'd suggest you show some first. My ignore list, FWIW, is now mainly banned posters, so your comment that I'm "proud of the large ignore list" I have is nonsense.

the Moderator admitted that he had to be PMed several times by other posters so that the correct information could be showed.
Nope. It was mentioned once in thread that I'd missed one post (granted, an important post confirming kick off, I think), and the summary was updated then.

Get a chat Room:
The flirting and petting on the Match thread by a specific group that swamps all other discussion is pretty dull.
There's a general chat thread now for that.

But they don't keep to themselves, the same crowd demanded that a pub in Podgorica be boycotted by Irish fans because one of the group didn't like the first price they got when the bar obliged them with a quote for a bus service to go arrive in Dubrovnik to Podgorica and return to Dubrovnik.
I think you're completely exaggerating the situation here. You tend to mis-use words like "insist" or "demand" to your own purposes. Either way, people are perfectly entitled to comment on potential overpricing, and you're perfectly entitled to not heed them. In addition, if you have a problem with such posts, report them at the time. Such specifics aren't what's being dealt with in this thread.

If you have constructive criticism as opposed to agenda driven personal attacks, do let us know. Also, don't hide behind monikers like "the moderator" - if you have something to say about one poster, name them.

magnumpi
26/11/2009, 9:19 AM
i would totally agree with people with 50 posts or less should not be able to exchange tickets. they are either touts or timewasters - was shafted in paris...

SuperDave
26/11/2009, 4:15 PM
Another qualifying campaign out of the way, so I want to have a look at how the forum worked for those who used it. Two main areas - ticket exchange threads and the away match threads.

Ticket exchange
Couple of suggestions recently on this -
> A person selling tickets should be able to set payment means (cash, bank transfer, cheque), and should be able to reject an offer if the payment means are awkward.

The vendor is the one doing the other person a favour but I don't think it is really an issue. I'm not aware of any issues, anyway.

> Is the "free for all" coming close to the game appropriate? The point of it is to make it easier to get rid of tickets closer to the game as people travel to it or as it becomes too late to wait for replies from one person.

I think it is absolutely appropriate. I also think the list could be changed so that those who have been members longer go further up the list or at least get some sort of priority on the list earlier.... again though, it is up to whoever is selling tickets to offer them to whoever they want. While it is harder to police and verify, perhaps when requesting tickets, games been to in the recent past should be detailed (i mean, if you had been to every game before paris in this campaign, surely you deserve a ticket more than someone who has only been to home games or even no games).

i think the default date should be when the letters are received detailing success or otherwise from the FAI. There is no need for a list before then and anyone joining a list then either hasn't applied or is doing it as a fall back and is only joining the list early to ensure they are near the top of it in the event they don't get tickets (which could be resolved were tickets made available on a who has the most posts / who has been to most games basis) and in either case there is an element of unfairness in them gaining priority (this is also true of those who just happen to be on the board when the moderator starts the thread and join the list, hence my idea for a postcount or gamecount stat at the very least to be listed next to each person on the list).

If someone is getting tickets for plenty of people, surely they can register and post themselves? I mean, there is no guarantee seats are going to be all together even if you get multiples from one person. My four tickets in croker were for two sets of two at different ends of the hogan stand, all gained from the FAI.

> Should there be a restriction on applications to posters with, say, 50+ posts? Main reason here is that new posters don't have PM facilities, it seems, which makes things awkward. I don't have a particular problem with people registering purely to get tickets; means they may become regular posters.

I don't really have a problem with this. While we don't want to stop people being able to go to games (especially those that don't sell out) it becomes impossible to administer if those people don't have pm's enabled. You don't really want to advertise in public that you are going to be meeting in a certain place at a certain time to exchange tickets for cash, do you? and nor do you want to post email addresses or phone numbers. Again, if the list administrator put a note next to each person's name on the list detailing total posts and number of games been to in the present & last campaign it would allow those offering tickets to offer to whoever they want.

Junior
26/11/2009, 4:32 PM
The vendor is the one doing the other person a favour but I don't think it is really an issue. I'm not aware of any issues, anyway.

I think it is absolutely appropriate. I also think the list could be changed so that those who have been members longer go further up the list or at least get some sort of priority on the list earlier.... again though, it is up to whoever is selling tickets to offer them to whoever they want. While it is harder to police and verify, perhaps when requesting tickets, games been to in the recent past should be detailed (i mean, if you had been to every game before paris in this campaign, surely you deserve a ticket more than someone who has only been to home games or even no games).

i think the default date should be when the letters are received detailing success or otherwise from the FAI. There is no need for a list before then and anyone joining a list then either hasn't applied or is doing it as a fall back and is only joining the list early to ensure they are near the top of it in the event they don't get tickets (which could be resolved were tickets made available on a who has the most posts / who has been to most games basis) and in either case there is an element of unfairness in them gaining priority (this is also true of those who just happen to be on the board when the moderator starts the thread and join the list, hence my idea for a postcount or gamecount stat at the very least to be listed next to each person on the list).

If someone is getting tickets for plenty of people, surely they can register and post themselves? I mean, there is no guarantee seats are going to be all together even if you get multiples from one person. My four tickets in croker were for two sets of two at different ends of the hogan stand, all gained from the FAI.

I don't really have a problem with this. While we don't want to stop people being able to go to games (especially those that don't sell out) it becomes impossible to administer if those people don't have pm's enabled. You don't really want to advertise in public that you are going to be meeting in a certain place at a certain time to exchange tickets for cash, do you? and nor do you want to post email addresses or phone numbers. Again, if the list administrator put a note next to each person's name on the list detailing total posts and number of games been to in the present & last campaign it would allow those offering tickets to offer to whoever they want.

Post Counts or Games attended will just be too difficult to administer/ ratify in my opinion.

The list is not meant to prioritse those that are most worthy of a ticket as far as I am aware. What about simply asking to be added to the list when in need of tickets. Posters go on the list but the order is not relevant.

Posters who have spare tickets can just PM anyone on the list as they see fit. They are their own tickets to distribute as they see fit (obviously not going in to the debate of whether they should be offloading spares because they have too big an allocation from the FAI etc...) and can choose who they wish to PM based on post count, what exposure they have had to them on the Board etc....

Would be simpler in my opinion, provide the same service and not necessarily unfairer in any way.

Just a thought.

SuperDave
26/11/2009, 4:49 PM
Post Counts or Games attended will just be too difficult to administer/ ratify in my opinion.

The list is not meant to prioritse those that are most worthy of a ticket as far as I am aware. What about simply asking to be added to the list when in need of tickets. Posters go on the list but the order is not relevant.

Posters who have spare tickets can just PM anyone on the list as they see fit. They are their own tickets to distribute as they see fit (obviously not going in to the debate of whether they should be offloading spares because they have too big an allocation from the FAI etc...) and can choose who they wish to PM based on post count, what exposure they have had to them on the Board etc....

Would be simpler in my opinion, provide the same service and not necessarily unfairer in any way.

Just a thought.

yeah, i agree, but if the mod posted those details next to the persons name in the list it would make it easier to determine.

although of course it makes the mods job a nightmare. anyway, ticket shortages are really only an issue about once a year.