PDA

View Full Version : Would Irish qualification been good for LOI?

irishultra
19/11/2009, 6:36 PM
Would it have had any impact?

Mr A
19/11/2009, 6:39 PM
Yes, indirectly. It grabs the attention of the nation and inspires kids to play football. It also makes the FAI a lot of money.

Acornvilla
19/11/2009, 6:40 PM
more fai money to possibly help teams and prize money and adds and suff??

galwayjames
19/11/2009, 6:45 PM
Possibly a small bit bit it didn't do much in 2002 or in the early 90s. Yes it would inspire kids to play football, but the Irish players play in England and would probably bypass the LOI.

HarpoJoyce
19/11/2009, 7:46 PM
Yes through increased revenue, prestige and Irish people wishing to associate themselves with the sport.

But the OP is a fair question as there always needs to a be a strong identity or connection between Irish Senior squad (incld managerment/backroom staff) and the clubs in the country.

Jofspring
19/11/2009, 7:53 PM
It would probably help the FAI with more funds for the league alright but i don't think it would make kids want to play for LOI teams. If you ask me i think what kids at home would think is "i wanna go play in England so i can play for Ireland some day"

tiktok
19/11/2009, 7:58 PM
As someone who would like to see Cork City attract young players, it would be nice to be able to point to Kevin Doyle and the path he took to scoring goals in the World Cup.

Riddickcule
19/11/2009, 9:13 PM
You would think that, wouldn't you?

sheao
19/11/2009, 9:16 PM
Without a doubt there would have been a massive impact on Irish football, crowds would have increased at LOI games .

Acornvilla
19/11/2009, 9:20 PM
You would think that, wouldn't you?
that would be the sensible thing to do:)
but we know thats not how we role.
the fai is too cool to make smart decisions and do well :rolleyes:

dcfcsteve
19/11/2009, 9:57 PM
Without a doubt there would have been a massive impact on Irish football, crowds would have increased at LOI games .

Hard to tell if this is supposed to be tongue in cheek or not, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

How ?

Magicme
20/11/2009, 1:50 AM
Yes, it would fund me and other cpos to continue the work we do which will one day prove of massive value to the league.

endabob1
20/11/2009, 5:59 AM
Financially it would be a huge boost to the FAI which should in turn lead to more being spent on youth development which should benefit the league but since the FAI are not exactly shrewd with their money, it's likely they'd have spent it all on another genesis and then ignored the results, again.

Macy
20/11/2009, 7:22 AM
Financially it would be a huge boost to the FAI which would in turn lead to the players pool demanding more wedge for them, the blazers getting nicer junkets and travel, and if we're lucky a few token bob will trickle down (just enough for Delaney and Co to expect unquestioning support). If we were lucky it'd be another crap consultants report, but doubt they'd be that forward thinking.

Previous finals did nothing for the league. In fact, given there'd be a clash, it would probably be detrimental.

rerun
20/11/2009, 7:47 AM
Would it have had any impact?

Assuming they didn't pay for their share of the AVIVA stadium in cash, I think we can guess where any extra revenue would go...

Infadel
20/11/2009, 10:22 AM
Bear in mind our league would clash with the world cup and more people would probably go out to the pub to watch Ireland play than go to a League Of Ireland game.

pineapple stu
20/11/2009, 10:40 AM
Join the dots.....
Is it a worm?

Infadel
20/11/2009, 6:13 PM
Your ground has a pub. Join the dots.....

Not all teams have bars + away supporters would more than likely go down.

Mad Moose
20/11/2009, 7:57 PM

In an ideal world yes. In the real world would you expect the FAI to invest and manage the revenue. All the signs from history would suggest the league will see little or nothing of it.

On the positive it'll save a few million on a reshape and restructure of the association post the next world cup. Much like the last one, Genesis, nobody at the FAI will actually get round to reading it let alone implementing it.

Anyhow its all irrelevant now.

Riddickcule
20/11/2009, 9:51 PM
Genesis, what was the point again?

monkey9
21/11/2009, 1:49 PM
I don't think World Cup Qualification would have had any impact on the LOI, to be honest!!

Acornvilla
22/11/2009, 4:53 PM
I don't think World Cup Qualification would have had any impact on the LOI, to be honest!!
sure what do monkeys know about it?:rolleyes:

Straightstory
22/11/2009, 5:03 PM
In the previous World Cup, this hasn't happened. People see no connection between the national team and the LOI. Not the case in the past (40+ years ago when there were LOI players playing in the national team and a tangible connection was evident) but absolutely the way it is now. The national team is basically a Premiership/Championship Xl with zilch connection to football in Ireland.