PDA

View Full Version : Euro 2012 - Draw Sun 7 Feb 2010

Jon'o
18/11/2009, 10:31 PM
Changing the subject,

The draw for the UEFA Euro 2012 qualifying round will take place in Warsaw on 7 February 2010. This will be the first time the new UEFA national team coefficient will be used for seeding the teams. The qualifying draw will determine the makeup of six groups of six teams and three groups of five teams. The first-placed teams from each group along with the best runner-up will qualify automatically and the remaining runners-up will take part in a two-match play-off to select the remaining four teams in the final tournament.

We'll be there lads :cool:

backstothewall
19/11/2009, 9:49 AM
What are the seedings like after last nights results?

as_i_say
19/11/2009, 9:53 AM
FFS playoffs for the euros now. what a joke.

endabob1
19/11/2009, 10:15 AM

It's madness, 51 teams 14 to qualify 5 groups of 7 2 of 8 top 2 in each, simplest and fairest, if that still comes into the equation.

Gather round
19/11/2009, 10:36 AM
It's madness, 51 teams 14 to qualify 5 groups of 7 2 of 8 top 2 in each, simplest and fairest, if that still comes into the equation

16 of the teams having to play 14 qualifiers isn't feasible, given the shortage of international dates, opposition from clubs etc.

Giving an extra four teams a second chance isn't particularly unfair- as presumably they will be drawn against higher-ranked seeded teams anyway.

endabob1
19/11/2009, 10:46 AM
16 of the teams having to play 14 qualifiers isn't feasible, given the shortage of international dates, opposition from clubs etc.

Giving an extra four teams a second chance isn't particularly unfair- as presumably they will be drawn against higher-ranked seeded teams anyway.

Currently it's 10 games + 2 play offs, so 4 more games over 2 years, hardly a massive ask, cut out some of the dross friendly's we have to put up with.

Ozymandias
19/11/2009, 10:49 AM
hope we draw france in this...knock them out of the Euro's and platini can feel a bit of our hurt.....we'll do it on the pitch without any help

DaveyCakes
19/11/2009, 11:34 AM
Currently it's 10 games + 2 play offs, so 4 more games over 2 years, hardly a massive ask, cut out some of the dross friendly's we have to put up with.

It's not over 2 years, more like 14 months

evin_gla
19/11/2009, 4:52 PM
I believe these are the pots for the draw:
Euro 2012 qualifying seedings
Pot One: Spain, Germany, Holland, Italy, England, Croatia, Portugal, France, Russia.
Pot Two: Greece, Czech Republic, Sweden, Switzerland, Serbia, Turkey, Denmark, Slovakia, Romania.
Pot Three: Israel, Bulgaria, Finland, Norway, Republic of Ireland, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Austria, Bosnia-Herzegovina.
Pot Four: Slovenia, Latvia, Hungary, Lithuania, Belarus, Belgium, Wales, FYR Macedonia, Cyprus.
Pot Five: Montenegro, Albania, Estonia, Georgia, Moldova, Iceland, Armenia, Kazakhstan, Liechtenstein.
Pot Six: Azerbaijan, Luxembourg, Malta, Faroe Islands, Andorra, San Marino.

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/euro2012/news/newsid=901647.html

as usual, each pot contains some real stinkers and then at least one team you would just love to get.
Croatia are surely the first seed to get? Not that they are awful or anything.
What price on us getting France??
can't believe that we have to wait until Feb for the draw.

irishultra
19/11/2009, 4:56 PM
England
Serbia
Ireland
Belgium
Montenegro

what a horrible group that would be

backstothewall
19/11/2009, 5:21 PM
France
Czech Republic/Greece
Ireland
Wales
Iceland
Luxembourg

: )

Lenny82
19/11/2009, 5:22 PM
Have we any chance of sneaking into the 2nd pot? Be nice to avoid teams like Czech, Switz and Serbia. I think I'd rather a group of 5 teams this time round and get Armenia as the 5th seeded team.

IsMiseSean
19/11/2009, 6:10 PM
If FIFA/UEFA have their way we'll probably get France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Holland with the top 5 goin through!!

jebus
19/11/2009, 6:15 PM
Croatia, Denmark, Ireland, Wales, Iceland and the Faroes would be nice

What price England getting their usual easy group of

England, Denmark, Finland, Cyprus and Kazakhstan however

WexCar
19/11/2009, 7:08 PM
England
Romania
Republic of Ireland
Lithuania
Liechtenstein
Luxembourg

boovidge
19/11/2009, 7:13 PM
Croatia
Greece
Ireland
Wales
Liechtenstein
Faroes

DaveyCakes
19/11/2009, 7:14 PM
Spain
Sweden
Scotland
Slovenia
San Marino

Curse you pot 5!!

TheBoss
19/11/2009, 7:42 PM
I think if we avoid these, we have a good chance:

Pot 1: Spain, Germany
Pot 2: Serbia
Pot 4: Belgium
Pot 5: Montenegro
Pot 6: None

stiffler
19/11/2009, 7:46 PM
I want France as the 1st seed in our group!

briancool21
19/11/2009, 7:47 PM
Be fun to pay a visit to kerr's faroe islands haha. That programme the other night was funny

eamo1
19/11/2009, 8:36 PM
I agree with Boovidge's group of

Croatia
Greece
Ireland
Wales
Liechtenstein
Faroes
I was watching some of the Greece Ukraine game before the Ireland match last night.Greece are still the same pi** poor boring negative team they have been under Rehagel.How they won that Euro Cup i still dont know.
Croatia arent bad but id fancy us to get 4 pts from those 2 games.
The other 3 are easy.PLEASE PLEASE let us get something resembling this group.

A really hard group would be,top 4
Spain
Serbia
Ireland
Slovenia.

sheao
19/11/2009, 9:24 PM
If we can keep the sort of attitude that we had in last night's performance, then we should have a great chance of qualifing. Would really love if we drew France!

Morbo
19/11/2009, 10:00 PM
Be fun to pay a visit to kerr's faroe islands haha. That programme the other night was funny
I missed that doc, anyone know if its going to be replayed or if its available online somewhere?

cavan_fan
20/11/2009, 11:20 AM
Pot One: Spain, Germany, Holland, Italy, England, Croatia, Portugal, France, Russia.
Pot Two: Greece, Czech Republic, Sweden, Switzerland, Serbia, Turkey, Denmark, Slovakia, Romania.
Pot Three: Israel, Bulgaria, Finland, Norway, Republic of Ireland, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Austria, Bosnia-Herzegovina.
Pot Four: Slovenia, Latvia, Hungary, Lithuania, Belarus, Belgium, Wales, FYR Macedonia, Cyprus.
Pot Five: Montenegro, Albania, Estonia, Georgia, Moldova, Iceland, Armenia, Kazakhstan, Liechtenstein.

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/euro2012/news/newsid=901647.html

as usual, each pot contains some real stinkers and then at least one team you would just love to get.
Croatia are surely the first seed to get? Not that they are awful or anything.
What price on us getting France??
can't believe that we have to wait until Feb for the draw.

I think Croatia are pretty awful and only going one waay with a manager who will be moving on. To finish behind a team who managed to lose to Greece says a lot!

I'd imagine we are the 3rd seeds to avoid (probably with Bosnia). By the way can we have Liechtenstein instead of Montenegro and can UEFA publish the rules in advance this time.

briancool21
20/11/2009, 7:48 PM
Surely on the rte player is it

Closed Account 2
20/11/2009, 8:25 PM

I'd like
1) France / Croatia
2) Greece / Slovakia / Sweden / Switzerland**
3) ---
4) Belgium / Wales
5) Estonia / Liechtenstein
6) Luxembourg / Andorra / Dan Marino

** In a fair match we could easily beat the Swiss, I would worry about the hidden hand of UEFA though.

soccerboy
20/11/2009, 8:29 PM
I agree with Boovidge's group of

Croatia
Greece
Ireland
Wales
Liechtenstein
Faroes
I was watching some of the Greece Ukraine game before the Ireland match last night.Greece are still the same pi** poor boring negative team they have been under Rehagel.How they won that Euro Cup i still dont know.
Croatia arent bad but id fancy us to get 4 pts from those 2 games.
The other 3 are easy.PLEASE PLEASE let us get something resembling this group.

A really hard group would be,top 4
Spain
Serbia
Ireland
Slovenia.

i agree,croatia looked pretty poor in the world cup qualifying and greece are no great shakes either,i'f fancy us to take 18 points from 3 poor sides,wales,faroes and liechtenstein....
if we play anywhere near we did against france we should sail through

elroy
20/11/2009, 10:42 PM
I would worry about the hidden hand of UEFA though.[/I]

Any chance UEFA might give us a kind draw considering our current plight..................:rolleyes:

Closed Account 2
21/11/2009, 12:32 AM
No they are emotionless, spinless automatrons, they might give the Swiss another easy draw though.

Emmet7
21/11/2009, 12:35 AM
I hope it gets through to the Irish team and management, that there is absolutely no alternative but to win the group, as play-offs are too risky, especially when you have UEFA deciding things, FIFA's little brother.

Win the group and beat the top seeds home and away. The top seed games will be the ones should be treated as do or die and draws home or away will not be enough.

highlight100
21/11/2009, 1:32 PM

France (Bring it on!)
Switzerland
Wales
Liechtenstein
Malta

Maroon 7
21/11/2009, 2:14 PM
I think Croatia are pretty awful and only going one waay with a manager who will be moving on. To finish behind a team who managed to lose to Greece says a lot!

I'd imagine we are the 3rd seeds to avoid (probably with Bosnia). By the way can we have Liechtenstein instead of Montenegro and can UEFA publish the rules in advance this time.

In fairness to the Crotians they were riddled with injuries during their qualifying campaign. That said they are probably still the side you'd want from Pot 1.

finbarrk
21/11/2009, 2:21 PM
And the better way to do it is.....?

Predator
21/11/2009, 2:53 PM
John Giles reckons that after the performance in Paris, we shouldn't fear anyone.

Feech
21/11/2009, 3:28 PM
No they are emotionless, spinless automatrons, they might give the Swiss another easy draw though.

In group containing France and Ireland again you mean?

jo84
21/11/2009, 4:48 PM
In group containing France and Ireland again you mean?

That was 5 years ago. Their last group with Greece, Israel and Latvia was a joke.

Riddickcule
21/11/2009, 7:46 PM
Agree with whoever said we should be aiming higher than the play-offs, i have a sneaky feeling the draw will be kind to us.

Keep the faith!