PDA

View Full Version : France V Ireland - Wednesday, 18th November 2009 - World Cup 2010 Playoff Second Leg

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16

dahamsta
19/11/2009, 3:54 PM
If people put half the energy invested in crackpot ideas into figuring out how to force FIFA into video refereeing, ye might actually get somewhere.

christo
19/11/2009, 3:54 PM
Great idea! What - two ads for RTÉ between the end of extra time and the penalties? E5k?

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/1119/economy.html

Just saying ;)

pineapple stu
19/11/2009, 3:56 PM
If we won on penalties. Like, it's not even as if we were going through as it stood.

Suppose we could have sued the French keeper if he saved any.

A bribe, a blatent mistake or a referee ignoring a blatent handball, these are instances when decisions should not be final.
Can you imagine the mess football would become if Wenger/Ferguson/Benitez/whoever could point to the precedent of replaying a game because a ref made a mistake? Every bloody game would be challenged in the courts. Then you'd get into the dividing line between what's blatant or not. Maybe the French could counter-sue because they were denied a "blatant" penalty.

Are people actually thinking on this thread, or are they just typing the first thing that comes to their Premiership-riddled minds?

Emmet7
19/11/2009, 3:56 PM
The players have done their bit and are devastated.

Now it's time for the fans to do their bit.

Schumi
19/11/2009, 3:57 PM

Only if he came of his line before the ball was kicked. ;)

Irish_Praha
19/11/2009, 3:58 PM
So even if there is a situation where a referee is clearly bribed, and I'm not saying that about this game, you are saying his decisions should be final??

That's just madness.

That would just encourage teams to bribe referees in advance, safe in the knowledge the referees decisions won't be changed. Football would end up in chaos.

Well that's something different; I meant if he genuinely makes a mistake that can't be proven otherwise. Such as an offside, handball, foul, din't see that a ball was over the goal line and so on.
A bribe or a decision that toatally goes against the rules of the game should of course be considered.

Arnold Layne
19/11/2009, 3:58 PM
I think you'll find it's happened before

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41495000/jpg/_41495254_handofgod.jpg

Emmet7
19/11/2009, 3:59 PM
If we won on penalties. Like, it's not even as if we were going through as it stood.

They were denied a sporting chance to win the match by a player cheating.

It would be the equivalent of someone deliberately tripping up a horse or an athlete on the back straight who had a chance of winning.

markmc
19/11/2009, 3:59 PM
John Delaney is going to be on Today FM after 5 o clock.

pineapple stu
19/11/2009, 4:01 PM
They were denied a sporting chance to win the match by a player cheating.

It would be the equivalent of someone deliberately tripping up a horse or an athlete on the back straight who had a chance of winning.
And do you know what - it's happened before, and will happen again. Zola Budd for example? That race wasn't re-run.

markmc
19/11/2009, 4:01 PM
Every bloody game would be challenged in the courts.

http://www.goal.com/en-india/news/137/england/2009/03/16/1158191/west-ham-and-sheffield-united-agree-compensation-package-for

pineapple stu
19/11/2009, 4:03 PM
Nothing to do with this case again. That was an ineligible player/illegal contract scenario. This is a ref making a mistake, which is covered under the rules of the game.

Emmet7
19/11/2009, 4:06 PM
And do you know what - it's happened before, and will happen again. Zola Budd for example? That race wasn't re-run.

Are you French?

Whose side are you on here?

If FIFA said in the morning they were replaying the game I have a feeling you would lobby them not to have it played.

I repeat Ireland were denied a sporting chance. From what I remember of Zola Budd the athlete who tripped her was disqualified.

Still think there shouldn't be a replay?

markmc
19/11/2009, 4:06 PM
Nothing to do with this case again. That was an ineligible player/illegal contract scenario. This is a ref making a mistake, which is covered under the rules of the game.

Its a court case in relation to cheating.

cragandcrop
19/11/2009, 4:07 PM
I would find more honest to replay this match.
A French supporter.

markmc
19/11/2009, 4:08 PM
Remember when Arsenal agreed to replay with Sheff United ?

http://www.arseweb.com/98-99/reports/130299.html

pineapple stu
19/11/2009, 4:08 PM
Its a court case in relation to cheating.
No, in relation to illegal contracts. The rules of the game are quite clear in relation to last night's incident.

Are you French?

Whose side are you on here?

If FIFA said in the morning they were replaying the game I have a feeling you would lobby them not to have it played.
:rolleyes:
Sorry for being right.

FFS.

Emmet7
19/11/2009, 4:11 PM
No, in relation to illegal contracts. The rules of the game are quite clear in relation to last night's incident.

Sorry for being right.

FFS.

Because you say you are right doesn't make you right I'm afraid.

You clearly don't understand the concept of someone in sport gaining an unfair advantage or in this example a clear case of a performance enhancement.

Handling the ball gives that player that extra edge over other players. Handling the ball is not within the rules. Players have been suspended for things referees did not see, such as with Robert Huth. Should Huth have been allowed get away with that punch because the ref didn't see it?

Your argument hasn't a leg to stand on.

Manblue
19/11/2009, 4:11 PM

Sorry for being right.

FFS.

haha dont you know you have to be pig ignorant when your country is involved and forget whats corret and whats not stu, its the rules of this board

dahamsta
19/11/2009, 4:12 PM
Emmet7, drop the "are you french" crap. Reason it out or be quiet.

stu, although I can understand your frustration, you know well to ignore that kind of "commentary".

pineapple stu
19/11/2009, 4:14 PM
Players have been suspended for things referees did not see, such as with Robert Huth.
So give Henry a one-match ban.

Do you see the difference between that and replaying a whole match?

Do you want to reply to any of my other previous "Do you see the difference" questions aimed at you?

markmc
19/11/2009, 4:19 PM

The rules of the game are clear in relation to deliberate handball.

pineapple stu
19/11/2009, 4:19 PM
And they're clear in relation to referee errors.

markmc
19/11/2009, 4:24 PM
And they're clear in relation to referee errors.

It not really a referee error, the ref could not have seen it. It was a very deliberate handball and done in a way that nobody could see it.

The FFF should be offering to replay the game, simple as that.

Metrostars
19/11/2009, 4:27 PM
It not really a referee error, the ref could not have seen it. It was a very deliberate handball and done in a way that nobody could see it.

The FFF should be offering to replay the game, simple as that.

I'm not sure what the ref saw. After all he did motion to Shay that the ball hit Henry's side. If that's the case, he is lying. He did not motion to Shay that he did not see it.

And even if he didn't see it, why wasn't the two offsides called? Or the fact that Squalachi pulled Dunne's shirt?

tommy_c12000
19/11/2009, 4:28 PM
The whole Henry affair is getting totally out of hand. Ireland should have had the game wrapped up in full time if Doyle, Duff or Keane took one their gilt-edged chances. They only have themselves to blame, same old hard luck story from the brave Irish. Fair enough Henry clearly handled the ball twice. The referee and assistants missed it. But these things happen in football, just have to roll with the punches, referees make mistakes. Perhaps it's karma with Ireland getting out of jail on a couple of occasions during the qualifying campaign with generous refereeing decisions (eg Jouni Hyytia awarding Ireland a penalty for a "dubious at best" handball against Georgia). How many Irish were crying foul then?! The FAI and Dermot Ahern (trying to score some cheap political points) are making asses of themselves. It is a good argument for video tech or to follow the Europa League example who have an extra assistant behind the goal to prevent it happening again. But nothing more will come of this affair. Its time to just accept it even though it's a bitter pill to swallow. These things happen in football, let sleeping dogs lie.

sligoman
19/11/2009, 4:28 PM
Just heard on RTE there that Cowen has asked FIFA for a replay and he's going to bring it up with Sarkozy at an upcoming summit. What an idiot:rolleyes:.

markmc
19/11/2009, 4:31 PM
Just heard on RTE there that Cowen has asked FIFA for a replay and he's going to bring it up with Sarkozy at an upcoming summit. What an idiot:rolleyes:.

Shame Cowen cant get worked up about sorting out dodgy bankers and property developers.

tricky_colour
19/11/2009, 4:34 PM
It just brings the game into disrepute when a team qualifys through blatent cheating, the FIFA should not let it happen, nor should the French team, it makes a mockery of the competition, and it makes the trophy worthless.

dahamsta
19/11/2009, 4:35 PM
Just heard on RTE there that Cowen has asked FIFA for a replay and he's going to bring it up with Sarkozy at an upcoming summit. What an idiot:rolleyes:.He'll probably offer him a pig as a bribe.

Noelys Guitar
19/11/2009, 4:35 PM
Just been watching Sky sports and the French Sports Teachers Union have Stated that if France are allowed to go to the World Cup it will show cheating is now condoned. They want France thrown out. Not a replay. Sky are going to try get a spokesperson on.

pineapple stu
19/11/2009, 4:38 PM
Just been watching Sky sports and the French Sports Teachers Union have Stated that if France are allowed to go to the World Cup it will show cheating is now condoned. They want France thrown out. Not a replay. Sky are going to try get a spokesperson on.
Teachers' Union?

Big hitters now.

markmc
19/11/2009, 4:44 PM
Oh no, it gets worse, Fianna Fail have a petition on their website, prob an email harvesting exercise to they can send out propaganda. Dont sign it.

markmc
19/11/2009, 4:44 PM
Teachers' Union?

Big hitters now.

The Unions in France have a lot of power, the regularly bring the country to a halt. We could learn a lot from them.

republicofwhite
19/11/2009, 4:46 PM
Lads, I'm hurting as much as everybody else but if anybody is looking for a bit of variety or something upbeat, please feel free to describe the incredible individual performances of Andrews, Lawrence, St Ledger, Dunne, Duffer, Kilbane, Doyle etc. They were all incredible. Andrews, best performance of an Irish midfielder since Roy Keane against Holland, I always knew he had it in him and I really hope he builds on it, he was immense. I couldn't stop thinking about Paul McGrath against Italy everytime St Ledger got in yet ANOTHER block. I've never seen Kilbane been that fresh, energetic and so precisely determined. Duff reeled in the years, almost like Chelsea in the Champions League. Doyle was clearly exhausted but still showed so much guts, and Lawrence was just everywhere, and was still playing great crosses and passes till the very end, alongside constant harrying and brilliant tackling. This can be replicated. I'm sure of it. I didn't realise we could be THAT good. So yeah, a gentle reminder, all this stuff happened as well last night, so feel free to applaud and discuss that too...

carloz
19/11/2009, 4:48 PM
I agree, Andrews was simply immense. He has got an unbelievable amount of flak on here but he was fantastic last night. Performance worthy of any world cup

Calcio Jack

No doubt Sarkozy will reply... "..Brian you are so right we must ensure that current guidelines are followed to ensure fairness, just like you did with Mr Molloy from Fas , with Ray Burke's pension etcetera..."

what an idiot as indeed is our erstwhile Minister of Justice who's at the same crap

osarusan
Some of the naivety on here is amazing.

The conspiracy theory - the referee and linesmen knew who their overlords and paymasters were.
Why didn't the linesman or referee give a penalty when Anelka went over? Why didn't they let the offside goal stand (Govou was it? Or Malouda?) These incidents, especially the offside goal, could have satisfied their overlords without as much fuss.I'll tell you why - because they called the decisions honestly as they saw them. Why didn't the linesman or referee flag for Henry's handball - because they didn't see it, or didn't see it clearly enough to make the call. I don't believe there was any bias involved whatsoever.

Will the game be replayed? The referee probably missed 50 other things during the game too, as referees do in every game. Fifa will never order it, as it would open a can of worms like never before. Unless the FFF offer to do so, not a hope in hell. (And though Domenech is stupid, he's not that stupid). France are through, and in a few days league football will begin all over Europe, and everybody will start to think of other things.

One thing which annoys me is that even some Irish fans are holding Henry apparently blameless in the whole thing, with comment like "it's not his fault, it's up to the referee to see it." Henry is not a 3 year-old with no idea of what he is doing, and no concept of right or wrong. It's not some innate thing which a footballer cannot control. He, like countless others before him, made a conscious decision to do what he did, knowing it was wrong. I actually think he's getting off pretty lightly so far.

markmc
19/11/2009, 4:53 PM
Martin Cullen has written to FIFA asking for a replay. If they have any idea who he is, they will bin that straight away.

DaveyCakes
19/11/2009, 4:56 PM
Fianna Fail are probably delighted about the whole thing, as it'll take the heat off them for a week or so.

irishultra
19/11/2009, 5:00 PM
martin cullen should be more worried about getting his dublin soccer team in the english premiership ******

northerncelt
19/11/2009, 5:12 PM
Lads I could cry after watching replays of Keanes goal.... Givens reaction was immense and you could see how much it he cared. its one of the best goals we have scored. Everything about it, even the commentary from the George on RTE, is perfect. It must have been amazing to be in the stadium

Wasnt one poor irish performance last night... even mcshance was excellent until that incident. We played France off the park in Paris. The Euros seem a long way off at the moment but i was proud of the boys last night.

Anyone who criticises Robbie Keane on this site from now on should get banned!;)

Its going to take a few days to get over this.... SA dream is over.:(

christo
19/11/2009, 5:19 PM
Anyone who criticises Robbie Keane on this site from now on should get banned!;)

I'm just waiting for the "He never scores against the big teams (except Italy and France, and Germany was so long ago)" posts :rolleyes:

markmc
19/11/2009, 5:20 PM
Its going to take a few days to get over this.... SA dream is over.:(

I dont know about a few days, I dont think I will get over it. The integrity of the game has been called into question, who in the right minds wants to watch a sport where cheating is condoned?

horney
19/11/2009, 5:23 PM
we have to protest for a replay

markmc
19/11/2009, 5:57 PM

Sod a replay, what about just having a penalty shootout?

centre mid
19/11/2009, 5:57 PM
The most depressing thing about this whole affair is having to listen to Jeff Winters rattle on all day. Every radio station or tv station I turn on I have to listen to this idiot, he was a terrible ref and now he is the authority on all aspects of football.

tiktok
19/11/2009, 6:01 PM

It's a bit wet outside at the moment.
But I'll see you outside the French embassy tomorrow, we should hit the Canadian one too just to be safe.

Look, it hurts us all but people are being ridiculous

IsMiseSean
19/11/2009, 6:04 PM
Watching the match again today and one of the hardest sites to watch is Damien Duff singing his heart out for Amhrán na bhFiann, playing one of his best games in an Ireland shirt and then later crying his eyes out... Terrible!!

Scooby Doo
19/11/2009, 6:05 PM
:mad:I am absolutely devestated and wonder what we have to do to qualify! All the odds were unfairly stacked against us from the beginning. Third seeds in a group with World Champions and no 'minnow' team. Then to come through a qualifying campaign unbeaten and are screwed by FIFA for the PO draw. To draw France away second and then play them off the park to be finally denied by the most obscene and disgraceful example of cheating since Maradona. And all this achieve while missing a sizable contingent of our best players. Dermot Ahern, Brady and Kilbane have already called for a replay and no doubt more will too. FIFA CANNOT be allowed to get away with this. Therefore I propose some sort of protest by Irish fans soon in Dublin. Who knows,something like that might rattle some cages and at the very least would demonstrate that Ireland is not the little pushover that the dictators that run our game think we are. Last night's performace was passionate, heroic and filled me with an immense sense of pride - my proudest moment as an Irish fan. WE OWE IT TO THE TEAM TO NOT TAKE THIS LYING DOWN!:mad:
Sorry to repeat myself but is there no support out there for some sort of a aprotest demonstation to show that we refuse to be bullied by FIFA, get a march going in O Connell street and get it on TV - the world would undoubtedly take notice!!!