PDA

View Full Version : if it could only have been me!!!!!!!

the scout
03/03/2004, 6:05 PM
regarding a past sporting event.if you could have been the person who achieved the feat,what sport/incident would you choose.??

ill get it going but i cant choose between ray houghton scoring for ireland in the neckar stadium or giants stadium.both goals were awe inspireingly life changing great fcucking goals(right the one against england was no beaut but what a fcucking day that was!!!!!!"

Footie_Fan
03/03/2004, 6:12 PM
Obviously playing for Ireland and not England but the one that sticks out has to be Beckham when he scored that free kick against Greece.

Game in injury time. Going out of the automatic qualification slots for the World Cup. 60,000 plus watching you in the stadium, millions at home. A free kick from 30 yards out. Bang. Your country goes to the World Cup.

That must have been the best feeling in the world!

sylvo
03/03/2004, 7:37 PM
12/6/88, Rayo's goal against the self appointed football master race in Stuttgart, after all as they all said before the game the Dutch would be their first test a few day's later due to the fact that they'd already have three point's due to beating us. What a day.:D :D :D :D

tiktok
03/03/2004, 8:12 PM
based purely on moments that stuck with me as a kid........

Michael Kiernan's drop goal against England
Marradona's goals against England and Belgium in '86
Houghton's goal in Stuttgart

probably in reverse order there.

lopez
03/03/2004, 10:10 PM
Loved to have won 10,000 metres at the Barcelona olympics. :(

the 12 th man
04/03/2004, 7:12 AM
whoever scored that goal for norn ireland after 25,000,000 mins
of goaless football:D

but seriously how about christy o connor junior:the feeling he had when he played that sweet 2 iron to 2 feet from 215 yards
over water to effectively clinch the ryder cup.i would say that was absolutely heart stopping.

ps i bumped into him once and he was a really nice
man.no bother to him to chat with me and my mates for about 15 mins.:cool:

Peadar
04/03/2004, 8:45 AM
Robbie Keane's goal against Germany in the last World Cup.
Perfect timing.
Kept us in the tournament and put the nation on a high.

Originally posted by the 12 th man
christy o connor junior

ps i bumped into him once and he was a really nice
man.no bother to him to chat with me and my mates for about 15 mins.:cool:

I met Padraig Harrington on his way back from the Golf World Cup in Japan. He had won the Volvo masters the week before.
What a gent!
Very modest and polite.

Paul McGinley made us proud with his performance in the last Ryder Cup. Great to see the Tri Colour being waved in victory even if it did get drowned, along with Paul, afterwards :D

the 12 th man
04/03/2004, 9:07 AM
leaving out irish stuff

geoff hurst:1966 playing at home in the world cup final and you get a hatrick!!!!!!!!!.the man is still dining out on it 38 years
later :ball:

ps; drinkfeckarse:D

sylvo
04/03/2004, 10:09 AM
Also Eamon Coughlan in the 5'000 meter's in the world championship's in Helsinki, that was a great moment. After all the near miss's he had before like the moscow olympic's he was so determined this time he was going to do it, the look of delight on his face for the last 150 meter's as he charghed home was priceless, that was a great moment.:D

SÓC
04/03/2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by sylvo
Also Eamon Coughlan in the 5'000 meter's in the world championship's in Helsinki, that was a great moment. After all the near miss's he had before like the moscow olympic's he was so determined this time he was going to do it, the look of delight on his face for the last 150 meter's as he charghed home was priceless, that was a great moment.:D

Was that the one where he just smiled at the other fella running with him and took off?

Robbie Keane's peno I think was a real pressure one. At least with O'Leary he knew that if he missed we werent out. Can you imagne the thoughts that must have been going through his head. I've been involved in one competitive peno shoot out in my life, a schools match. Bloody hell its nerve racking enough at that level, but at the highest level in the world. Dont know how he could stand up, let alone hit a peno.

Peadar
04/03/2004, 10:28 AM
Stephen Roche winning the Tour de France and the Giro d'Italia in 1987. I've never seen so many Irish people on bikes as there was in the aftermath of those victories.

the 12 th man
04/03/2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by SÓC
. Can you imagne the thoughts that must have been going through his head. I've been involved in one competitive peno shoot out in my life, a schools match. Bloody hell its nerve racking enough at that level, but at the highest level in the world. Dont know how he could stand up, let alone hit a peno.

that is spot on soc,i always think that myself when i see a penalty shootout,particularly at a high level.i would imagine they change their minds a bit (which side)as they get near the ball which leads to a lot of bad pennos.but i dont blame them for missing

max power
04/03/2004, 10:46 AM
i would have loved to win the egg and spoon race at the community games finals in monsey in 89.......

the 12 th man
04/03/2004, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by max power
i would have loved to win the egg and spoon race at the community games finals in monsey in 89.......

what happened??did you get hungry during the race and ate the egg???:D

max power
04/03/2004, 10:53 AM
no just as i reached the final 5m, i lost my bottle and my egg fell off the spoon...that moment will haunt me for thr rest of my life...never mind penalty misses at the world cup, this was just heart breaking, i can't talk any more, i need a drink !!!

parnell ranger
04/03/2004, 10:55 AM
it would have to be maradona's hand of God goal,a massive shot in the arm(no pun intended) for the Argentinian people in light of the General Belgrano sinking etc..

sylvo
04/03/2004, 2:38 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SÓC
[B]Was that the one where he just smiled at the other fella running with him and took off?

It was indeed, he took off like one of those bullet train's in Japan, great moment.

Troy.McClure
04/03/2004, 3:31 PM
just as i reached the final 5m, i lost my bottle and my egg fell off the spoon

Thats your problem right there, you should always put your bottle somewhere safe that you'll remember! ;)

max power
04/03/2004, 3:35 PM
but it was river rock, "water you wear " !!

Troy.McClure
04/03/2004, 3:36 PM
just as i reached the final 5m, i lost my bottle and my egg fell off the spoon Thats your problem right there, you should always put your bottle somewhere safe that you'll remember! ;)

I wouldnt have minded being Jonny Wilkinson putting that drop kick over to win the Webb Ellis, or Simon Goeghan getting that try against England 10 years ago at Twickenham.

Judas Ca$hill's goal to stop $helbourne winning the league and to put City into Europe a few seasons ago must have been one to savour too.

No one has mentioned being Packie Bonner saving the peno against Romania in Italia 90 yet!

lopez
04/03/2004, 8:23 PM
Originally posted by SÓC
Was that the one where he just smiled at the other fella running with him and took off?
I remember the day that he won that race. Balmy summer Sunday in Sasana. I was watching it round the house of an ex of mine out in the village near me where el papa Adrian IV was allegedly born (same village a certain thug footballer turned hollywood star grew up in). Afterwards I had a poster advertising a non alchoholic beer on my bedroom wall of him running past the Soviet (sounds corny that now) with the glasses looking grim as Eamonn smiles. It was the first World gold medal in athletics since Ron Delany.

tiktok
04/03/2004, 9:25 PM
Originally posted by lopez
Afterwards I had a poster advertising a non alchoholic beer on my bedroom wall of him running past the Soviet (sounds corny that now) with the glasses looking grim as Eamonn smiles.

had the Kaliber poster that the Sunday World gave away free the following weekend on my wall for ages :D
i still remember how easy it looked to him, shopuld have had that on my list.

Gary
04/03/2004, 9:54 PM
Peter Lovenkrands scoring two in the Scottish Cup final last season for Rangers. I think one was in the last minute.

Who were they playing that day.

Seriuosly though, we spoke of one hit wonders in the Off Topic forum. How bout the one hit wonder with Carlisle - Jimmy Glass, the keeper signed on loan who scored the winner against Plymouth to secure Carlisle survival in the football league at the expense of Scarborough. He'll be remembered forever at table quizez anyway!

lopez
04/03/2004, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by tiktok
had the Kaliber poster that the Sunday World gave away free the following weekend on my wall for ages :D
i still remember how easy it looked to him, shopuld have had that on my list.
Kaliber. That was it. The devil's buttermilk IMO.:D Yeah, I remember sending off a cheque to the Sunday World now. How the f*ck I got the SW out in the hills is still beyond my comprehension though. :confused: I think I've still got the poster too.

Plastic Paddy
05/03/2004, 8:18 AM
Originally posted by lopez
I remember the day that he won that race. Balmy summer Sunday in Sasana. I was watching it round the house of an ex of mine out in the village near me where el papa Adrian IV was allegedly born (same village a certain thug footballer turned hollywood star grew up in).

That village is Abbots Langley and I claim my £5. :cool:

:D PP

Plastic Paddy
05/03/2004, 8:19 AM
Originally posted by Gary
Peter Lovenkrands scoring two in the Scottish Cup final last season for Rangers. I think one was in the last minute.

Who were they playing that day.

no... stop, no... my sides... :rolleyes:

:mad: PP

lopez
05/03/2004, 8:28 AM
Originally posted by Plastic Paddy
That village is Abbots Langley and I claim my £5. :cool:

:D PP
Close!! Bedmond. OK, £5 on the way. :(

the 12 th man
05/03/2004, 9:39 AM
reckon ruby walsh riding the" grand national" race winner on board papillon trained by his father ted (both from kill co kildare)was a pretty special feeling as that race takes some winning