PDA

View Full Version : A Day of Destiny

spin
18/11/2009, 8:25 AM
Woke up and walked to work this morning with the blinding Autumn Sun in my face, my iPod speakers blasting 'On the One Road', Joxer' et al and couldn't help feeling today is a day of destiny.

There's no logic behind it. There's a decent piece in the Guardian this morn' that plays on that. The fact that's there's no grounds to believe, but that Trap has the team repeating the same mantra: 'It's not over, we can win in Paris'.

Watched the game again last night on M6 having read France Football and l'Equipe and seen snippets from the French Press conference at Clairefontaine. All of this gives me confidence. France Football interviews 50 former players and l'Equipe another pile of French sports stars and none of them foresee problems. This could seriously play into our hands. Our boys want and need it more. Tonight is our World Cup Final whereas their lads play in big games week in, week out.

If someone can step up to the plate, they'll go down in folklore. Who scored for Scotland against Bulgaria in '87? Who scored against England in '88? Who scored the penalty that sent us through against Romania in '90? What about the goal that sent us to USA '94? And the one we scored in the opening game once we got there? The goal against Holland to send us to Korea / Japan? Or the last minute equaliser against Germany over there?

The names Gary Makay, Ray Houghton, David O’Leary, Alan McLoughlin, Houghton again, Jason McAteer and Robbie Keane roll off the lips. Who’s it gonna be tonight? I’ve a sneaking suspicion Andrews will get the chance to rub Diarra’s nose in it...

Duggie
18/11/2009, 8:38 AM
ya heard "joxer" and "ole ole" this morning. brings a tear to your eye. im trying not to think about the game or id go mad. im praying that tonight will be one of those special nights. its now or never. come on lads were with ye!!

byrner01
18/11/2009, 8:42 AM
here, here , its a really tough task but we have to BELIEVE

Murfinator
18/11/2009, 9:07 AM
Think we're due a special night tbh.

Ciaran W
18/11/2009, 9:21 AM
Were guna have the better crowd behind us and outsing the french,come on lads we can still do it !

Real ale Madrid
18/11/2009, 9:24 AM
doesn't matter if we are "due" a special night or not. We have to go out and perform - and raise our game another 2 or 3 notches from the way we have been performing up to now - the real question is weather we are able to do so - Day of destiny or not.

Off to Paris in an hour - Still believing......

EAFC_rdfl
18/11/2009, 9:41 AM
That alan mcloughlin goal really stands out from the game in belfast. it seemed like all hope was lost, and then bang he pops up with that lovely strike. heres hoping

antrimgreen
18/11/2009, 9:53 AM
Well done spin starting a POSITIVE thread, sick to my back teeth reading the same old bull he's crap he's crap the french this and that. F**k them support the team it's all we have.... end of, nice one spin i'll say it again.

COME ON YOU BOYS IN GREEN!!!!!!!!!!!

centre mid
18/11/2009, 10:28 AM
I just hope we dont leave this chance out on the pitch, every player needs to stand up and be counted and some need to really justify their selection in this team. This is the night to do that.

Dunne scores from a corner after 25, Whelan scores with 2 mins to go..............

spin
18/11/2009, 10:32 AM
Well done spin starting a POSITIVE thread, sick to my back teeth reading the same old bull he's crap he's crap the french this and that. F**k them support the team it's all we have.... end of, nice one spin i'll say it again.

COME ON YOU BOYS IN GREEN!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers Antrim Greeen!

Just off to the train now, a bunch of us with our iPods rammed full of songs, a wee set of speakers and a bag of beer...

By the time we hit Paris, we'll have our African safaris planned in between group games...

STAND UP FOR THE BOYS IN GREEN!

fruice
18/11/2009, 11:16 AM
I can see it now in about 8 years time on reeling in the years one all Dunne has baged the first henry hits back 5 mins left on the clock Kilbane pops up with the winner

Leeside Swagger
18/11/2009, 11:19 AM
Tom Dunne just played Put em' under pressure. Getting pumped up for tonight now. Believe lads!

evin_gla
18/11/2009, 11:23 AM
Spin, go raibh míle maith agat!
I am sitting in work struggling to keep it together with excitement/nerves/tension and this post almost had me running down the corridor screaming "Come on you boys in Green".
Here's hoping we get a game (and a name) , like those above, that we'll be talking about in 20 years time!
COME ON IRELAND !!!

RoversInn
18/11/2009, 11:36 AM
Robbie Keane is better than there new defender
Duff is due a great game
Lawerence will make his mark
Andrews to get his revenge

BELIEVE

endabob1
18/11/2009, 11:39 AM
Tom Dunne just played Put em' under pressure. Getting pumped up for tonight now. Believe lads!

I seen Something Happens in Tullamore Harriers in 1990 the night we got knocked out by Italy, they came on and sang there's only one Packie Bonner, we're just as pi$$ed off and pi$$ed up as the rest of us and a great night was had by all despite the result, those were the days

Reality Bites
18/11/2009, 11:52 AM
French media are expecting a Turkey Shoot, at least 2-0 to the frogs according to Robert Pires....this arrogance is unreal...Heres hoping its going to be the most memorable Irish performance ever!!

Brenny
18/11/2009, 11:55 AM
Am hoping this is one of them great days in Irish football! Hope the feck we pull off a moment or two of magic and prove all the begrudgers wrong.
Can't handle another Ireland-less tournament next summer... C'mon the lads!!!

18/11/2009, 12:03 PM
i think when we have nothing to loose we can really turn it on!! look at how we played away in bari and the last few minutes of the friendly against poland... im convinced we can do it!!!

youngirish
18/11/2009, 12:16 PM
May the force be with you...

...always.

spin
18/11/2009, 12:43 PM
I'm off to hop the train... hoping, nah believing I will see a new hero anointed in Paris.

Come on you Boys in Green!

drummerboy
18/11/2009, 12:45 PM
I think this particular Irish team have played better away than in Croke Park. Hopefully I will be proved right tonight.

Duggie
18/11/2009, 12:47 PM
id take a repeat of cyprus away....:ball:

Wolfie
18/11/2009, 12:50 PM
Come on Ireland - nothing to lose. Never say die!!!

Metrostars
18/11/2009, 1:09 PM
For the lad traveling to Paris, best of luck and enjoy it!

Of course we can do it. We're only down 1-0 not 5-0. Just one goal will be enough to make France panic.

Royal rover
18/11/2009, 1:31 PM
i missed my flight this morning from glasgow - didn't get up in time f**k it anyway - there goes a match ticket + flight - but i have to remain positive - i saw 2 magpies in my back garden this morning - i always have good days when this happens "Superstitious i know" but here's hoping

MeathDrog
18/11/2009, 1:40 PM
Come on you boys in green!!!

twoenz
18/11/2009, 1:42 PM
i missed my flight this morning from glasgow - didn't get up in time f**k it anyway - there goes a match ticket + flight - but i have to remain positive - i saw 2 magpies in my back garden this morning - i always have good days when this happens "Superstitious i know" but here's hoping

Ouch. Stay positive though.

colster
18/11/2009, 1:54 PM
The closer the game is getting the more positive I'm becoming. We're only 1 down. We seem to play better away from home. The team seems to be setup for this situation. If we keep it very tight, stifle them, keep them scoreless for the first 60 minutes they and their fans will be really edgy. Who knows what can happen then?

ChrisRed
18/11/2009, 1:55 PM

Hmmm..... you always have good days when you see 2 Magpies yet you missed your flight?

dr_peepee
18/11/2009, 2:13 PM
May the force be with you...

...always.

Nobody puts Baby in the corner.!!!

billybunter
18/11/2009, 2:29 PM
I will never forget the feeling after watching Henry score against us in Landsdowne that someday we would get our turn. I hope and pray today is that time.

C'mon ireland. Nervous, but defiant.

Royal rover
18/11/2009, 2:40 PM
Hmmm..... you always have good days when you see 2 Magpies yet you missed your flight?

yeh that was after i realised i wouldn't make my flight - positive thoughts my friend - problem is now i'll be watching the game in some old mans pub tonight with the phone switched off - i can't even go to my regular boozer because i told most of the pub on saturday that i would be in paris tonight - imagine how i'll feel if we actually win

ChrisRed
18/11/2009, 2:50 PM
yeh that was after i realised i wouldn't make my flight - positive thoughts my friend - problem is now i'll be watching the game in some old mans pub tonight with the phone switched off - i can't even go to my regular boozer because i told most of the pub on saturday that i would be in paris tonight - imagine how i'll feel if we actually win

Well the money you save from the trip you can put towards South Africa. :D

Metrostars
18/11/2009, 3:00 PM
Come on lads. Something like this would do:

pO2rWCI45PU

Love it when the commentator goes crazy at the end.

Acornvilla
18/11/2009, 4:09 PM
Come on lads. Something like this would do:

pO2rWCI45PU

Love it when the commentator goes crazy at the end.

i think the commentater jizzed his pants when they scored the winner :D

weldoninhio
18/11/2009, 5:51 PM
Watched the game again last night on M6 having read France Football and l'Equipe and seen snippets from the French Press conference at Clairefontaine. All of this gives me confidence. France Football interviews 50 former players and l'Equipe another pile of French sports stars and none of them foresee problems. This could seriously play into our hands. Our boys want and need it more. Tonight is our World Cup Final whereas their lads play in big games week in, week out.

How many of the former players or French sports stars will be playing?? How does their complacency affect the result?? And as for the straw clutching "our fans will outsing the french fans" nonsense, how did that work out on Saturday??

Splurge
18/11/2009, 5:55 PM
Dont they say good news comes in three's?

1) I had a medical check up on monday that i was worried about but got a clean bill of health.
2)Got results for an interview yesterday for permanency for my job and did excellent in it, way above my expectations.
3) Tonights game hopefully, i deliberately didnt buy a lotto ticket or anything, wouldnt want to waste my third piece of good luck on a shoddy pile of money.

COME ON IRELAND

Boo_Boy
18/11/2009, 6:09 PM
France:

1 - LLORIS
2 - SAGNA
5 - GALLAS
4 - ESCUDE
6 - DIARRA
8 - GOURCUFF
9 - ANELKA
11 - GIGNAC
12 - HENRY
13 - EVRA
18 - DIARRA

Ireland:

1 - Given
2 - St. Ledger
3 - Kilbane
4 - O'Shea
5 - Dunne
6 - Whelan
7 - Lawerence
8 - Andrews
9 - Doyle
10 - Keane
11 - Duff

Anyone wants a link to my stream of the game PM me, can't post it in the open.

ChrisRed
18/11/2009, 6:18 PM
-
-
-
-
-
-
--------------------------------------------------Believe!-------------------------------------------------------