PDA

View Full Version : Vienna via Bratislava

stann
18/11/2009, 12:16 AM
Off to Vienna again soon, but due to the prices this time of year have little option but to Ryanair it via Bratislava, and am bringing someone so it could do with being smooth.
Anyone been this route recently? Any complications / hassles / things to watch out for on the way?
Ta muchly for any help! :)

ShnaeGuevara715
18/11/2009, 1:37 AM
Hi Stann.

I did a similar job in the summer, flying to Prague and then on to Budapest for a festival.

They have an excellent international coach service that we were able to make use of. The trains took the same amount of time but cost 5 times a bus ticket. The buses are quality, higher than bus eireann. Bathroom on board, 2 free cups of coffee, earphones for the dvd movie playing, radio etc.

The company was Orangeways(there is another that may run called student direct) and they operate every conceivable route across europe. Our bus stopped in Bratislava main bus station for a 15minute break.

They had buses going to Vienna eastwards, very nearby. Our bus from Prague to Budapest cost 15 euro and was the length of Ireland morealess.

I'd say you could get a bus to Vienna from Bratislava insanely cheap and it would only take an hour or two(guess!). We heard from other festival goers it was a popular exit route.

Hope that was useful

pineapple stu
18/11/2009, 9:21 AM
If you want to do things differently, there's a boat service (http://www.bratislavahotels.com/hydrofoil-vienna-budapest) connecting Bratislava and Vienna (and Budapest) which goes along the Danube.

Have heard the bus connection from Bratislava to Vienna is very good though.

stann
18/11/2009, 6:49 PM
Thanks lads, very helpful both of ye - that hydrofoil sounds particularly good for the summertime - but I'll have to squirrel the info away for next time, slight change of circs and we're going direct into Vienna now, thank feck! :)

Raheny Red
24/11/2009, 12:21 PM
For future use the train is handy and only takes 50 minutes.