PDA

View Full Version : Pathetic scenes outside O Sullivans, Paris

Pages : [1] 2

finbarrk
17/11/2009, 11:53 PM
No better man than me to have a big craic outside pubs when abroad but tonight brought us down to the league of the lads across the Irish Sea.
A shower of clowns stopping cars and any vehicles that were passing by and intimidating them.
The worst was the mother and kid in their car and a crowd of *******s banging on the car as it was stopped with the crowd on the street.
Not like the supporters of old. Too many young p***** around now.

Mise Le Mas
18/11/2009, 7:28 AM
No better man than me to have a big craic outside pubs when abroad but tonight brought us down to the league of the lads across the Irish Sea.
A shower of clowns stopping cars and any vehicles that were passing by and intimidating them.
The worst was the mother and kid in their car and a crowd of *******s banging on the car as it was stopped with the crowd on the street.
Not like the supporters of old. Too many young p***** around now.That is Unbelievable, Finnbark stupid question maybe but did nobody tell them to stop and i mean any other Irish supporters

mypost
18/11/2009, 10:21 AM
Not like the supporters of old. Too many young p***** around now.

Another killjoy. :rolleyes:

Of course it's wrong and can't be condoned, but to brand the support because of a couple of alcohol-influenced incidents is wrong. The Brits would probably not stop at "banging on the car" and intimidation.

Don't worry, the rugger buggers will do the same in a couple of months time. Should we care then or only now? :rolleyes:

pineapple stu
18/11/2009, 11:02 AM
Where's OneRedArmy when you need him?

dynamo kerry
18/11/2009, 11:29 AM
Another killjoy. :rolleyes:

Of course it's wrong and can't be condoned, but to brand the support because of a couple of alcohol-influenced incidents is wrong. The Brits would probably not stop at "banging on the car" and intimidation.

Don't worry, the rugger buggers will do the same in a couple of months time. Should we care then or only now? :rolleyes:

approval by inaction mypost?

utter rubbish. it's not being a killjoy to suggest that banging on someone's car is out of order.

O'sullivan's isn't even near the stadium. they were probably driving home for their tea. It's a very residential area that.

Whatever the brits do doesn't matter. We should have higher standards. Did you laugh about babb and kennedy jumping on the car bonnet 10 years ago? I bet you wouldn't smirk if it was your wife and child.

abbeyroad
18/11/2009, 12:02 PM
This happened last time outside the same bar as well. Brilliant craic for hours and everyone in great spirits. Then as people got too drunk there were banging on and jumping on cars etc. In fairness last time a fair few people had words with those involved but I remember it getting a bit messy so we left...... and went inside O'Sullivans

OneRedArmy
18/11/2009, 12:19 PM
Where's OneRedArmy when you need him?I was on the roof of the car hitting the windscreen with my inflatable tricolour hammer.....

If you can't beat'em, join'em :D

OneRedArmy
18/11/2009, 12:30 PM
Don't worry, the rugger buggers will do the same in a couple of months time. Should we care then or only now? :rolleyes:I've been to about 50 home 6 Nations games and over 20 away and never seen anything like this.

Whats your reference point?

saint dog
18/11/2009, 12:37 PM
that pub is a right $h** hole
my lasting memory from the last time we were in Paris was the stink of 3 cork lads in GAA jerseys that had changed colour from the sweat on them
also you could cut the atmosphere with a knife , there were lads there just waiting to kill , kip

DotTV
19/11/2009, 3:20 AM
Things got a bit hairy outside there on the last trip too. A few dodgy locals around the area as well. Sounds similar though. Drunken antics spilled a little bit over to the dark side. Thats not what we're about

dingbat
19/11/2009, 1:40 PM
I was there too and it was getting very, very "English Lager Lout" indeed. There was another nasty little incident at the same spot when some of the lads thought it would be hilarious to rob a big Algerian flag from a lad going by on his scooter. When he got off the scooter to get it back his mate (who was driving the thing) got a load of beer thrown over him. It finally took one sensible fella to come over and apologise on behalf of the Irish "fans" to diffuse it.

There were other lads on the train to the game who were WAY over the top in their aggression towards the French fans, again something I've not seen before.

Yes, it's a small minority of a wonderful, wonderful group of supporters, but we really need to stamp this out.

SeanODonovan
19/11/2009, 2:36 PM
You have to judge these incidents against the thousands of other friendly encounters between Irish and French & Irish and Algerians.

I was in the O'Sullivan area between 12 and 2:30am when there was a potentially mixture of Algerians tearing around on cars and motorbikes and Irish aggrieved at being cheated out of the match.

And did it explode ? Of course not ! There was a spirit of football fans together with the Irish singing "1 2 3 Viva Algerie" and the Algerians giving it the old "Ole Ole Ole".

And the French people diplomatically had an early night and hid their embarrassment under the duvet !

SeanODonovan
19/11/2009, 3:16 PM
That should have been * "potentially explosive mixture"

Mento
19/11/2009, 4:22 PM
15,000 Irish in Paris and you decide to open a thread on someone banging on the roof of a car??

Pathetic

eamo1
19/11/2009, 4:26 PM
Theres a story in our forum(G.U) that a big Galway fan and Ireland fan(and foot.ie poster btw) was assaulted last night in Paris and was in hospital.Apparently it was in todays Star Newspaper but i dont read that.

RonnieB
19/11/2009, 4:39 PM
Hope he makes a full recovery.

Jinxy
19/11/2009, 5:16 PM
Des Cahill mentioned the lads in the crowd that looked like they were going to burst each other over Shay Givens jersey.
I hope they get to see how daft they looked when they get home.

jebus
19/11/2009, 7:10 PM
Theres a story in our forum(G.U) that a big Galway fan and Ireland fan(and foot.ie poster btw) was assaulted last night in Paris and was in hospital.Apparently it was in todays Star Newspaper but i dont read that.

Any idea who it is?

Hope he's alright anyway

eamo1
19/11/2009, 8:20 PM
Its GUFCT.Others on his facebook page are saying he got mugged but fought them off but still got hurt.French scumbags.
Get Well soon T.

Stuttgart88
19/11/2009, 9:56 PM
Get Well soon Ditto

NeilMcD
19/11/2009, 10:38 PM
I think it was him who I was speakilng to last night outside my hotel. I could be wrong. THe lad I was chatting to was held at knife point and mugged but he seemed ok now if a little shaken. Not sure if its the same guy.

eamo1
19/11/2009, 11:36 PM
I heard 2 different stories today but the one i heard most(4 people out of the 6 i asked said it) was that he was hospitalised,could be wrong though.

lopez
20/11/2009, 10:58 AM
I was in the toilet in the ground in the first half having a p*ss in a cubicle and a bloke said did I mind if he done a line in there with me. He pulled out a card with a small line of white powder. It sort of booted off on my part - I was a bit worse for wear then so not sure of what was said - and I think he might have had to snort some of the sh*t off the floor in the end.

paul_oshea
20/11/2009, 11:17 AM
Get well soon gufct. Cant just say its french scumbags, it oculd have been the algerians. As the french always like to blame them.

No, im sorry, I agree with ORA, we didnt go back around that area after the game partly because we were too depressed to be near irish and would have been just worse to have heard it. But before the game there was a bit of tension and too many drunk fools, fiar enough they might not have been looking for trouble but htey were falling over eachother and the police were getting agitated.

The gendarmerie handled the crowd outside of osullivans terribly, it looked like they were trying to get a row stared to be honest. Not how you should police a load of very drunk people.

Have to say though i did feel at times that some lads were just waiting for something to happen.

eaststand85
20/11/2009, 11:44 AM
15,000 Irish in Paris and you decide to open a thread on someone banging on the roof of a car??

Pathetic

What was pathetic was the way some of the crowd behaved themselves.

99% of the people there were drinking and most people were happy to sing and interact with passers by in a positive manner but from one group (a minority of the massive crowd) there was a lot of aggression.

It wasn't an isolated incident but a sustained period of blocking traffic, banging on the sides of passing cars and buses and generally behaving (for the first time in my experience) like an intimidating mob rather than the friendly group which Irish fans normally are.

I hope they're ashamed of themselves and either give future trips a miss or learn to behave in a manner more appropriate for an Irish fan.

Finally, hope gufct makes a full and swift recovery, sorry to hear what happened.

horsebox1977
20/11/2009, 12:34 PM
You have to judge these incidents against the thousands of other friendly encounters between Irish and French & Irish and Algerians.

I was in the O'Sullivan area between 12 and 2:30am when there was a potentially mixture of Algerians tearing around on cars and motorbikes and Irish aggrieved at being cheated out of the match.

And did it explode ? Of course not ! There was a spirit of football fans together with the Irish singing "1 2 3 Viva Algerie" and the Algerians giving it the old "Ole Ole Ole".

And the French people diplomatically had an early night and hid their embarrassment under the duvet !

Sean - I was outside O'Sullivans aswell - and the Algerians were provoking some of the Irish lads with some of their antics - luckily it didnt kick off..

dingbat
20/11/2009, 1:50 PM
The gendarmerie handled the crowd outside of osullivans terribly, it looked like they were trying to get a row stared to be honest. Not how you should police a load of very drunk people.

Have to say though i did feel at times that some lads were just waiting for something to happen.
It was ridiculous, all the police wading in wearing full riot gear. It increased the level of aggression needlessly.

And you're absolutely right - there were lads getting right into their faces screaming at them just dying for something to kick off. We don't need their types.

paul_oshea
20/11/2009, 1:55 PM
Ya there was one particular lad with an earring who just kept arguing with them, luckily for him it was the police and not the riot crowd or he might have quickly found out and started off a whole new chapter in the book of how not to conduct yourself as an irish fan.

We dont need those fans is right. Hopefully again it was just because how big that game was and how cheap/easy it was to get to.

EastTerracer
20/11/2009, 6:13 PM
I was in O'Sullivans briefly on Tuesday evening but it was already getting pretty drunk by 8 o'clock so decided to head back towards St.Michel and Pantheon area. Did see a couple of videos of the car-stopping during Wednesday afternoon.

On a more serious note I know of one chap who had his wallet lifted by a fellow Irishman in the jacks at half-time on Wednesday. What kind of scumbag would travel all the way to Paris to steal off his own countrymen - sickened me almost as much as the final outcome did?

Overall the support was absolutely brilliant - we did ourselves proud both on and off the pitch. Unfortunately there will always be a few troublemakers but as Irish fans, we are usually pretty good at policing that ourselves without the local Gardai having to get involved.

Beavis
20/11/2009, 6:32 PM
We headed down there on Tuesday night and quickly left because of the ar seholes shaking cars and vans on the street. I attempted to berate them all, but I soon coped myself on and realised it was pathetically futile.

philkildare
20/11/2009, 6:40 PM
twice had pints nicked in O'Sullivans. Only Irish beside us.....certainly was a lot ofscumbags ontrip....what about the gob****e starting on the drunk homless guy under the Eiffel tower!!
having said that...the most annoying part of the trip was paying €15 for a freezing cold breakfast in O'Sullivans on Thursday morn!!!!!!!

onenilgameover
20/11/2009, 6:50 PM
I worked in this pub in 2003 for a couple of months. awful place.

Mad Moose
20/11/2009, 7:06 PM
[QUOTE=paul_oshea;1278196]Cant just say its french scumbags, it oculd have been the algerians. As the french always like to blame them.
[QUOTE]

Very harsh and very judgemental and I'm sorry but I had to pick up on it. Its an unfortunate consequence of society we live in that people steal and that people are forced to steal. Its unfortunate that you should label them 'the Algerians' and qualify it by reference to the fact the French blame them. Sorry but it could have been anyone from any corner of the world. Just how easy is it to tell a story and add feathers, legs and a parachute to it. As much as stealing is a slur on society so also is uninformed judgement passing.

I'm pretty defensive here because I spent quite a bit of my time walking around with an £800 worth camera and in my stupidy spent quite a bit of time walking around with it by myself even late at night. Nobody bothered me.I was an easy target and in all honesty I was stupid but I felt no less safe in Paris than I have ever felt in Dublin, Derby or Dubrovnik.

Rant over.

PS If anybody is missing a red woollen hat with a peak on it that was left behind in the stadium then you can have it back.I thought it looked cool at the time. I was badly mistaken.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
20/11/2009, 7:29 PM
I was talking to a lad on the eurostar and he was saying that his brother was chatting away to a couple of Algerians at night and lo and behold after they went their seperate ways he realized his wallet had been taken with about 300 euro in it

EastTerracer
20/11/2009, 9:39 PM
I was talking to a lad on the eurostar and he was saying that his brother was chatting away to a couple of Algerians at night and lo and behold after they went their seperate ways he realized his wallet had been taken with about 300 euro in it

As was said above it's a bit unfair to blame the Algerians alone for this. There was at least one Irish "fan" lifting wallets off his fellow countrymen in the jacks at half-time in the Stade de France.

irishultra
20/11/2009, 10:07 PM
shock, not all irish people are saints. shock not all english, dutch, german international fans are hooligans.

finbarrk
21/11/2009, 2:30 PM

Pathetic
Yes Mento, I decided to open a thread when I returned to my hotel on Tuesday night because I wasn't happy about what was going on. OK ?
Maybe you hit a few thumps on a few cars yourself?

Desyf
21/11/2009, 2:41 PM
Moronic behaviour and indefensible.
Why do it unless you're a pr!ck ?

Greenforever
21/11/2009, 5:03 PM
This kind of behaviour probably started in Paris 5 yrs ago and is becoming too common.

When some genius takes out a football and starts kicking it up in the air in a public place where you have women with prams and elderly people walking about minding thier own business in their own country it is intimidating and is thuggish behaviour.

It might seem funny but tell that to the innocent bystander, and it is this type of behaviour that develops on to banging on cars in trafffic etc like what appears to have happened outside O'Sullivans, we left when it became obvious the fools were taking over and it must be said it is some of the the newer generation that are responsible for this.

As for slagging of a fellow for going asleep after too much drink surely this is better than the crap that is creeping in on some of the bigger trips. You didnt see that in Oslo or Aarhus.

4tothefloor
22/11/2009, 12:32 AM
This all happened 5 years ago as well in Paris. Have to say I thought it was worse the last time round which resulted in some Moroccons/Algerians coming back and having a glass fight with Shamrock Rovers supporters (who were just defending themselves) after being drenched earlier on. The lads stopping the cars and mounting vehicles are retards. They were retards 5 years ago and the same last Wednesday. Harmless fun is singing and having the craic - man handling cars and rocking them is not. There were one or two funny moments where lads jumped on the back of construction/road vehicles and were joking with traffic cones and shovels village people style, but apart from that the rest was well out of order.

tetsujin1979
22/11/2009, 12:49 AM
Two things about this sort of behaviour
On the 5:30 EuroStar from London, four guys in Ireland jerseys were sitting opposite me at a table. Started chatting away and no problems with them.
About 30 minutes into the trip, one of them pulls out a set of iPod travel speakers. Now. I've been on my fair share of train journeys, and the one thing that annoyed me more than anything else was listening to some other person's interpretation of the perfect traveling music playlist. This is why God invented headphones. Told them to knock it on the head, and to let it go, but the guy with the iPod said they'd keep it down. I retreated between my headphones and pretty much ignored them for the rest of the journey.
But they didn't keep it down, and eventually a woman sitting about 4 seats back walked over and asked was it them who was playing the music and to stop it. When she stood up, the lads killed the music and stashed the speakers somewhere. She said she had no problem with them, and she was Irish herself, but other people had complained and there was no need for the loud music. The lads (all in their mid to late 20's) said it wasn't them, and they thought the music was coming from further back in the carriage. The woman apologised for accusing them in the wrong and moved on.

Whatever about playing music, to flat out lie about it was pretty low, that's the kind of thing you do when you're 7 and wake up your parents by pressing play by mistake.

When I walked down to find the bathroom, every other carriage I passed through was quiet, and anyone listening to music or watching a film was using headphones.

Second thing, Outside O'Sullivan's, I left for St Denis about 7 to get there aead of any crowds. I crossed the road to get to the Metro station, and three lads were crossing at the same time as me, two in front of me, and one behind me. The lad behind me was carrying bottles and started pounding on the bonnet of a car that stopped to let us pass. The woman behind the wheel was clearly disgusted with his behavior, and blared the horn to move him on, but no joy. So I slapped him across the chest, Ric Flair style, told him to behave himself, and apologised to the driver in my best (i.e. crap) French. And I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

It was my first away game, and the experience with other fans, by and large, was enjoyable, but if that is the sort of thing that goes on away from home (and it appears that it isn't) I won't be soon back.

Réiteoir
22/11/2009, 2:43 AM
As with most teams - the bigger and easier to get to the game - the more idiots you get crawling out from the woodwork.

I'd prefer the trips to the Faroe Islands and Norway than the French ones

ArdeeBhoy
22/11/2009, 10:20 AM
What the Croc said. But really people playing music loud and slapping car bonnets is at worst inconsiderate and hardly worth a mention on a web forum. Or that level of self-righteousness.....

ccfcgirl
22/11/2009, 1:13 PM
O Sullivans was good craic on the Thursday night,good singsong in there.

Drumcondra 69er
22/11/2009, 1:28 PM
The levels of self righteousness are OTT for me here, I was in and around O'Sullivans and Corcorans Tuesday night and before and after the game as we were staying in the area. The craic inside in the night club area on Tuesday was quality, great sing song and a good atmosphere. While I was in no mood for singing after the game I was still able to have a couple of pints and a chat with some other fans after on Wednesday and all. There was a little foolish drunken behavoiur outside but it was not comparable to the sort of behaviour we've seen in the past from our neighbours across the pond and it's wrong to suggest there was. As usual on trips Irish fans policed themselves in the main, I witnessed a couple of occasions where older fans told younger lads to chill out a bit, that's how it's always been and continues to be.

Desyf
23/11/2009, 8:12 AM
As usual on trips Irish fans policed themselves in the main, I witnessed a couple of occasions where older fans told younger lads to chill out a bit, that's how it's always been and continues to be.

It should happen more often, self policing I mean, as yobbish drunken behaviour is getting worse and whether you think it's self righteous of people to complain about it or not, it's unacceptable and embarrassing.

And if this sort of behaviour is acceptable to anyone I suggest they f#ckoff and follow Ingurland.

paul_oshea
23/11/2009, 2:52 PM
[QUOTE=paul_oshea;1278196]Cant just say its french scumbags, it oculd have been the algerians. As the french always like to blame them.
[QUOTE]

Very harsh and very judgemental and I'm sorry but I had to pick up on it. Its an unfortunate consequence of society we live in that people steal and that people are forced to steal. Its unfortunate that you should label them 'the Algerians' and qualify it by reference to the fact the French blame them. Sorry but it could have been anyone from any corner of the world. Just how easy is it to tell a story and add feathers, legs and a parachute to it. As much as stealing is a slur on society so also is uninformed judgement passing.

I'm pretty defensive here because I spent quite a bit of my time walking around with an £800 worth camera and in my stupidy spent quite a bit of time walking around with it by myself even late at night. Nobody bothered me.I was an easy target and in all honesty I was stupid but I felt no less safe in Paris than I have ever felt in Dublin, Derby or Dubrovnik.

Rant over.

PS If anybody is missing a red woollen hat with a peak on it that was left behind in the stadium then you can have it back.I thought it looked cool at the time. I was badly mistaken.

Sorry bear, meant no offence at all. Was just saying thats what the french always do, thye blame hte algerians instead of looking inward. I agree you cant just say it was algerians :)

NeilMcD
23/11/2009, 3:30 PM
Two things about this sort of behaviour
On the 5:30 EuroStar from London, four guys in Ireland jerseys were sitting opposite me at a table. Started chatting away and no problems with them.
About 30 minutes into the trip, one of them pulls out a set of iPod travel speakers. Now. I've been on my fair share of train journeys, and the one thing that annoyed me more than anything else was listening to some other person's interpretation of the perfect traveling music playlist. This is why God invented headphones. Told them to knock it on the head, and to let it go, but the guy with the iPod said they'd keep it down. I retreated between my headphones and pretty much ignored them for the rest of the journey.
But they didn't keep it down, and eventually a woman sitting about 4 seats back walked over and asked was it them who was playing the music and to stop it. When she stood up, the lads killed the music and stashed the speakers somewhere. She said she had no problem with them, and she was Irish herself, but other people had complained and there was no need for the loud music. The lads (all in their mid to late 20's) said it wasn't them, and they thought the music was coming from further back in the carriage. The woman apologised for accusing them in the wrong and moved on.

Whatever about playing music, to flat out lie about it was pretty low, that's the kind of thing you do when you're 7 and wake up your parents by pressing play by mistake.

When I walked down to find the bathroom, every other carriage I passed through was quiet, and anyone listening to music or watching a film was using headphones.

Second thing, Outside O'Sullivan's, I left for St Denis about 7 to get there aead of any crowds. I crossed the road to get to the Metro station, and three lads were crossing at the same time as me, two in front of me, and one behind me. The lad behind me was carrying bottles and started pounding on the bonnet of a car that stopped to let us pass. The woman behind the wheel was clearly disgusted with his behavior, and blared the horn to move him on, but no joy. So I slapped him across the chest, Ric Flair style, told him to behave himself, and apologised to the driver in my best (i.e. crap) French. And I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

It was my first away game, and the experience with other fans, by and large, was enjoyable, but if that is the sort of thing that goes on away from home (and it appears that it isn't) I won't be soon back.

Tets what would be your view on a load of lads starting a sing song on the train.

tetsujin1979
23/11/2009, 3:42 PM
Tets what would be your view on a load of lads starting a sing song on the train.
sorry, wouldn't have it.
I've gotten the train home to Limerick at the end of the work day enough times to know that enough noise to disturb anyone else on the train is out of order. All I want to do is relax (as much as you can in a train seat) and forget about the work day completed. It's why silent carriages were introduced on commuter lines in the UK.

Like I said, I walked through a few other carriages to get to the dining carriage, and all were silent, sod's law dictated I get stuck on the one with 4 idiots making more noise than the rest of the carriages I passed though combined.

There was a card game going on in one of the other carriages, but the lads weren't making noise, and weren't disturbing any of the other travellers.

If I want to listen to music, or watch a film, on a train, plane, or bus, then I use headphones. Have the courtesy to do the same.

Greenforever
23/11/2009, 4:15 PM
What the Croc said. But really people playing music loud and slapping car bonnets is at worst inconsiderate and hardly worth a mention on a web forum. Or that level of self-righteousness.....

Such behaviour can be terrifying for the occupants of the car and therefore is totally unacceptable and people who wish to behave in this manner would be better of staying at home.