PDA

View Full Version : Diplomatic Incident - Ireland v France

papa-j
16/11/2009, 4:24 PM
Apologies if this is posted already but its fantastic!

http://irishsoccerinsider.wordpress.com/2009/11/11/french-and-irish-fall-out-over-box-incident/

Leeside Swagger
16/11/2009, 5:13 PM
It was and its not.

fionnsci
16/11/2009, 5:23 PM
It was and its not.

No need to be harsh.....

Yes it is very funny.

CarrickFan
16/11/2009, 5:34 PM
No way its real.

bluemovie
16/11/2009, 6:10 PM
Rue des Blaguers? I only did French for one year, but I can translate that as Joke Street.

Sicuani
16/11/2009, 9:23 PM
It was and its not.

Is this you in this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujpfCRpqkFs)?

Why bother leaving such comments....the guy is only trying to humour us....

Enjoy school tomorrow.

Bluebeard
17/11/2009, 7:21 AM
Predictable. The first failure is where the gag originator does not think clearly about who would be likely to be the recipient of the French request i.e. the FAI. That would make the possibilty of having the authhority or information a gaff like that more likely, and would go some way explain the rather feebly constructed nationalist summing up letter.

As regards the joke itself, it was passably amusing target humour, but was redeemed for me with the classic "not getting it" moment of The boxes will be placed inside - I always get a giggle from those kind of jokes.

Sadly, the other two "Letters" were utterly superflous, and both took from the run of the gag, leaving one with a taste of anticlimax. It also removed any sense of possible truth from it that the joke writer attempted to construct. The last letter was borderline embarrassing

Were I to be re-writing the joke for someone, and looking for the same kind of "leaked" effect, I would set it as being from the DFA to the FAI, and cut it after the "the boxes will be placed inside" letter. The temptation is there to continue it with a "You misunderstand, M. Sarkozy will not require a box to stand on for the match", followed by a letter mostly grovelling from the FAI, and final paragraphed with "With this in mind, we have arranged for the hire of a very big cushion for his seat instead, invoice attached", though you do run the risk of over-custardpie-ing the gag.

Rating:
Actual Gag - 6/10: old school Eric Sykes et al. territory, but with a reasonable build up
Execution - 2/10: Lots of work put into the look of it, but badly let down by the choice of protagonists, and by failing to cut it at the right point you lose a lot of the laugh.

Overall - 40% - borderline pass, could do much better.

Leeside Swagger
17/11/2009, 10:04 AM
Is this you in this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujpfCRpqkFs)?

Why bother leaving such comments....the guy is only trying to humour us....

Enjoy school tomorrow.

Poor joke badly executed, its been on all national radio stations, the web and print media since the middle of last week. Thats why.

papa-j
17/11/2009, 11:21 AM
Poor joke badly executed, its been on all national radio stations, the web and print media since the middle of last week. Thats why.

ah well. I still think its amusing and others seem to agree.Cheerio:rolleyes:

Sicuani
17/11/2009, 12:30 PM

Should this not be in the Cork finances thread?

Leeside Swagger
17/11/2009, 12:47 PM

Poor joke, badly executed.

Sicuani
17/11/2009, 12:52 PM
Poor joke, badly executed.

You got me there...you got me there...:rolleyes:

Mods..i know i am almost lowering myself to his level, but can people with negative, unconstructive posts like this not have them deleted.

John83
17/11/2009, 1:22 PM
No, Cork are a poor joke, badly run. The execution comes later.

DaveyCakes
17/11/2009, 2:25 PM

Mods..i know i am almost lowering myself to his level, but can people with negative, unconstructive posts like this not have them deleted.

So nobody's allowed to disagree with the first post in any thread?

As for the joke, its a one-liner stretched so thin its transparent.

Leeside Swagger
17/11/2009, 2:34 PM

This is really pathetic, the OP asked if the joke had been posted here, I told him it was and i thought it wasnt very good.

What are you trying to prove exactly with these inane responses? Besides blatant wumming.

Edit: Cheers for moving this thread to off topic as well, its completely pointless!

dahamsta
17/11/2009, 2:49 PM
It is, and since it's clearly run its course, I'm closing it too.