PDA

View Full Version : Negative Media

Pages : [1] 2

gufct
16/11/2009, 9:32 AM
Im sick to the back teeth of the negative media coverage of the Irish Soccer Team with the Sindo and RTE in particular being the main culprits. We were beaten on saturday night by a jammy goal but from reading Dion Fanning and listening to Eamon Dunphy you would swear we were blitzed off the park.

Im going to paris tomorrow a proud Irish Soccer supporter willing to keep going till the final few seconds in supporting our national Team and **** the begrudgers. We will never dig ourselves out of the hole that Bertie & his cronies dumped us in if we dont have belief so BELIEVE its not a major miracle were looking for.

paul_oshea
16/11/2009, 9:47 AM
ah it is though.

twoenz
16/11/2009, 10:08 AM
It's good that most of the players never get that much contact with the Irish media, and it's water off a ducks back at this point.

WAs it the Irish Times that said we were unlucky on the pitch and murdered in the studio on Saturday night?

OneRedArmy
16/11/2009, 10:16 AM
Our sporting media's obsession with all things English extends to adopting the same approach to journalism.

People like Giles can't accept the whole system that were a part of, from schoolkids football onwards, is producing technically mediocre footballers and Trap or whoever the manager of the day is is left with the thankless task of trying to polish a turd.

One part of the football establishment is trying to protect another part of the football establishment.

twoenz
16/11/2009, 10:25 AM
For a nation of 4-5 million people with no real great youth systems in place we're very lucky to have made it to a single world cup never mind 3 of them.

Media demands results instantly. Or people do, and media just focuses that. It's hard to win. If we do qualify there'll be people calling for us to not go in case we embarrass ourselves. Which is obviously not going to happen.

pineapple stu
16/11/2009, 10:26 AM
A couple of points -

> Journalists are idiot, and paper doesn't refuse ink, especially with tight deadlines. Sometimes I'm surprised newspapers still exist.
> Despite that, you can acknowledge that France were much better than us and still travel to the next game in hope. They're not mutually exclusive options. Just because you're a fan doesn't mean you have to close your ears to negative news.

twoenz
16/11/2009, 10:29 AM
A couple of points -

> Journalists are idiot, and paper doesn't refuse ink, especially with tight deadlines. Sometimes I'm surprised newspapers still exist.
> Despite that, you can acknowledge that France were much better than us and still travel to the next game in hope. They're not mutually exclusive options. Just because you're a fan doesn't mean you have to close your ears to negative news.

It's not negative news, it's the "We told you so" attitudes that get me. Mainly because those with just a passing interest just pick up on that and nothing else.

pineapple stu
16/11/2009, 10:31 AM
Should probably note that, not reading newspapers or watching home games on telly, I don't know what exactly was said and was basing my comments on gufct's. :o

Anyways, my point still more or less stands.

gufct
16/11/2009, 10:32 AM
Actually I can see Souness planting Dunphy live on Air very soon if he derides his comments and keeps shouting him down. Dunphy appeal is waning and this could be his last hurrah. There is no meaningful debate on RTE anymore just Dunphys constant abuse of our manager and team.

Stuttgart88
16/11/2009, 10:33 AM
I just read David Kelly's artyicle online and I'm still trying to figure out exactly what his message is, it's so all over the place.

jebus
16/11/2009, 10:42 AM
Mordern journalism has realised there is more money to be had in playing 'the bad guy wrestler', i.e.e the one that says things purely to get a rise out of their audience. It's why you see newspapers being more and more about comment and less about actual news throughout the entire paper and not just in the sports sections. It's why the biggest names in journalism in Ireland are Eamon Dunphy and Kevin Myers, why Glenn Beck and Bill O'Reilly rule the roost in America and why people like Littlejohn and Clarkson are the English version.

Fair and balanced (don't sue me Fox) news reporting is very much dead and buried, not just in the sports pages

drummerboy
16/11/2009, 10:57 AM
I listened to Roy Curtis on the Hub last night and have to say he is the most deluded moron of all the journalists. The guy just spouts off hatred to anything he doesn't agree with. When are people going to realise that this team has already achieved more than their talents deserve.

Yard of Pace
16/11/2009, 11:01 AM
I agree with you jebus except that I think Emmet Malone stands out as a beacon of fair and balanced reporting. His articles don't get much discussion here,unsurprisingly, while the tosh in the Indo does.

Yard of Pace
16/11/2009, 11:08 AM
One other thing, although the IT is usually excellent, Tom Humhries begins his column today with

SO, LISTEN. We ain’t going to South Africa

which is a horrible thing to write at this stage.
:mad:

eaststand85
16/11/2009, 11:14 AM
A couple of points -

I agree, we probably deserved a draw on Saturday night but France were much the better team technically and could have had two or three. However much like Bertie during the boom years some people would rather shoot the messangers in the media pointing out such "negative" yet accurate news (although I will agree that Dunphy & Fanning can overdo it and cross the line to sensationalism).

Stuttgart88
16/11/2009, 11:14 AM
Liam Mackey is pretty fair in this morning's Examiner

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/hopes-dry-up-after-a-green-power-failure-105699.html

youngirish
16/11/2009, 11:23 AM
Giles and Dunphy are two clueless idiots. The way they go on you'd think we have talent comparable to Brazil. We have some sh*t players and Trap has done as good a job with them as anyone.

To think Dunphy keeps claiming that the likes of Andy Reid (yes he of Sunderland fame who only recently reclaimed a starting spot) could turn us into some powerhouse of world football that could play the likes of France and Italy off the park is laughable and begs the question how insane do you have to be to actually get committed in Ireland?

youngirish
16/11/2009, 11:25 AM
One other thing, although the IT is usually excellent, Tom Humhries begins his column today with

which is a horrible thing to write at this stage.
:mad:

Horrible but true.

Yard of Pace
16/11/2009, 11:28 AM
Horrible but true.

How is it true? The second match hasn't been played yet. Anyone who has watched football at all in their lives knows that it is, as they say, a funny old game.

youngirish
16/11/2009, 11:43 AM
How is it true? The second match hasn't been played yet. Anyone who has watched football at all in their lives knows that it is, as they say, a funny old game.

Anything is possible but if we turn around a 1-0 deficit at home to France and beat them in Paris considering how much better they looked than us in Dublin I'll eat my own head. It would be the single biggest turnaround and shock in the entire history of the play-offs.

If you really believe we can do that then you should put some money down with the bookies now because come Thursday morning you'll be a rich man if it occurs.

I hope you are right and I am wrong btw but I can't see it though I think we will give them a game and maybe a scare or 2.

Yard of Pace
16/11/2009, 12:14 PM
Anything is possible but if we turn around a 1-0 deficit at home to France and beat them in Paris considering how much better they looked than us in Dublin I'll eat my own head. It would be the single biggest turnaround and shock in the entire history of the play-offs.

If you really believe we can do that then you should put some money down with the bookies now because come Thursday morning you'll be a rich man if it occurs.

I hope you are right and I am wrong btw but I can't see it though I think we will give them a game and maybe a scare or 2.

Obviously I'm not putting money on it but it's possible. Therefore, stating that we're not going to South Africa two days before the match is ridiculous and irritating to read.

Reality Bites
16/11/2009, 12:15 PM
I just read David Kelly's artyicle online and I'm still trying to figure out exactly what his message is, it's so all over the place.

Just read David Kellys Article - the Guy is a total Gob****e...second only to Curtis. These guys are just bitter cause they're not going tp get their junket to South Africa next year with possible book deal thereafter

del_carroll
16/11/2009, 12:24 PM
It really annoyed me after the game, they were talking about the french team and it was all "when you the attacking threat posed by players like Henry, Anelka and eh ehh Evra"....I mean pick up the 3 names from the french team that you know from the premiership game or 2 a week that you watch on the telly and throw them out. ...one of them is a full back for feck sake.

On the money these jokers are on, you would expect at least a token of research on club for etc, and some familiarity with the opposition players. I thought the french no 8...gourcauf....or whatever his name was was excellent; wasn't mentioned once in the analysis.

Pathetic....don't know how Souness tolerates it....mind you I suppose it beats watching Scotland.

jay1
16/11/2009, 12:33 PM
[QUOTE=gufct;1273794]Im sick to the back teeth of the negative media coverage of the Irish Soccer Team with the Sindo and RTE in particular being the main culprits. We were beaten on saturday night by a jammy goal but from reading Dion Fanning and listening to Eamon Dunphy you would swear we were blitzed off the park.

I Know you are passionate about the team but the bottom line is we are playing training ground football. We cant even string a couple of good passes together. I mean are you saying that the the RTE Commentary should lie and say it was a good Irish Perfromance when they know from their experience as players that it wasn't.

On Saturday we played scared of loosing soccer, keep it to a draw and maybe nick something late on in france. It doesn't work, you need to go out with all guns blazing and so what if you loose, at least you would have gone all out for the win and people would appreciate that.

But we look like a team thats scared, a Far cry from the Italy 90 team in my opinion anyway.

All we can do now is pray that they can really lift themselves for Wednesday.

jmurphyc
16/11/2009, 12:38 PM
On Saturday we played scared of loosing soccer, keep it to a draw and maybe nick something late on in france. It doesn't work, you need to go out with all guns blazing and so what if you loose, at least you would have gone all out for the win and people would appreciate that.

Well, if we go out with "all guns blazing" then we will definitely lose. Badly. We need to keep it tight and be organised otherwise we'll get hammered.

jay1
16/11/2009, 12:43 PM
Well, if we go out with "all guns blazing" then we will definitely lose. Badly. We need to keep it tight and be organised otherwise we'll get hammered.

So would you like the team to go out with a similar performance to saturday??????????

jmurphyc
16/11/2009, 12:53 PM
So would you like the team to go out with a similar performance to saturday??????????

I'd rather that than go out with "all guns blazing", like I said. France pretty much had a 3 man attack on Saturday night. If we open up and leave space in defence, we'll be crucified. The tie will be over within half an hour.

Schumi
16/11/2009, 1:00 PM
although the IT is usually excellent, Tom HumphriesAgreed.

OwlsFan
16/11/2009, 1:04 PM
It's not just in soccer the shooting off the mouth for the sake of it to get publicity. George Hooke on the rugby panel is the same (he's RTE's rugby version of Drunkphy). Luckily they have a front man who knows something about the game and a foreigner who laughs at Hooke so it's much more balanced.

Wolfie
16/11/2009, 1:13 PM
Ronnie Whelan: "It could be all over now. It’s very difficult to score two and not concede in Paris and if France score in the second leg it really will be all over".

Hang on Ronnie - If we score two and concede one - we're through on away goals!!!!

kkdub
16/11/2009, 1:25 PM
Ronnie Whelan: "It could be all over now. It’s very difficult to score two and not concede in Paris and if France score in the second leg it really will be all over".

Hang on Ronnie - If we score two and concede one - we're through on away goals!!!!

Ronnie thought we were through after the Italy - Bulgaria game on RTE. When Peter Collins broke the news to him of the playoffs he looked crestfallen.

I don't buy into all this talk of never having beaten a quality team away. More often than not we go away looking for a draw. This is very different. Records are there to be broken.

jbyrne
16/11/2009, 1:48 PM
To think Dunphy keeps claiming that the likes of Andy Reid (yes he of Sunderland fame who only recently reclaimed a starting spot) could turn us into some powerhouse of world football that could play the likes of France and Italy off the park is laughable and begs the question how insane do you have to be to actually get committed in Ireland?

dunphy was on the radio yesterday still in shock that steven reid isnt in this squad. if he bothered to do any research he would know that reid has yet to make a premiership match day squad in the last 14 months for blackburn. and yet he has the cheek to say trapp doesnt keep a close enough eye on our players playing for their clubs :rolleyes:

Metrostars
16/11/2009, 2:09 PM
Someone should remind Dunphy that Andy Reid started against France and the final game against Switzerland in 2005 and how many goals did we score then?

Splurge
16/11/2009, 2:10 PM
Man for man their better than us, can you name one Irish player that is quicker than any French player? Still we more than matched them, i dont watch Dunphy any more, he's a nonce.

youngirish
16/11/2009, 2:25 PM
Obviously I'm not putting money on it but it's possible. Therefore, stating that we're not going to South Africa two days before the match is ridiculous and irritating to read.

You sir are a shining beacon in a sea of dread and pessimism. And for that I salute you.

dunphy was on the radio yesterday still in shock that steven reid isnt in this squad. if he bothered to do any research he would know that reid has yet to make a premiership match day squad in the last 14 months for blackburn. and yet he has the cheek to say trapp doesnt keep a close enough eye on our players playing for their clubs :rolleyes:

Why doesn't Souness just loaf Dunphy in the face when he's ranting and raving at him in the studio. I don't normally approve of violence but...

Man for man their better than us, can you name one Irish player that is quicker than any French player?

Alan O'Brien.

EastTerracer
16/11/2009, 2:31 PM

He won't be that rich - Ireland are only 6/1 to win the game which would guarantee extra-time at least. We've all seen longer odds than that being overturned. I admit it would be a shock if we do get through at this stage but it's by no means impossible.

It will require one of the best Irish performances ever to do it but I still travel to Paris with the belief that all is possible.

Come on ye boys in Green!

Yard of Pace
16/11/2009, 2:39 PM
It will require one of the best Irish performances ever to do it but I still travel to Paris with the belief that all is possible.

I don't even think so. Early goal from a set-piece and then defend defend defend in an ugly, scrappy and niggly game, take it to penos. Lovely.

geysir
16/11/2009, 2:57 PM
dunphy was on the radio yesterday still in shock that steven reid isnt in this squad.

Thats RTE fulfilling what they regard as their duty to the license holders by catering for the punditry needs of the rabble.
"Steven Reid, a good honest lad and a patriot who must be heartbroken at his home in Blackburn while Trap continues to callously ignore him...."
cue for a few tears to well up in Eamon's eyes as his voice trembles coping with the infinite compassion pouring out from the heart of the self proclaimed man of the people.

Ciaran W
16/11/2009, 3:08 PM
How is it a major miracle that we need ? All's we need is one goal against a dodgy defence.I was more afraid going to bulgaria away

irishfan86
16/11/2009, 3:10 PM
The worst part about the whole thing is that they claim objectivity and say "we call it the way we see it, as opposed to the way we want to see it."

It's complete B.S.

You watch one RTE panel from these qualifiers, and you've seen them all.

They say our midfield lacks creativity, well if that studio panel was a football team they'd be Stoke f*cking City.

Emmet7
16/11/2009, 3:35 PM
Someone should remind Dunphy that Andy Reid started against France and the final game against Switzerland in 2005 and how many goals did we score then?

He also started in what was Stan's last game against Cyprus in Croke Park which proved to be the final nail in the coffin of Stan.

For something like 90 minutes we huffed and puffed against the might of, wait for it, Cyprus, with the great Andy Reid pulling the strings in midfield. We eventually got a goal from a defender in the last minute or two which was probably not deserved.

And if this guy cannot drive Ireland from the centre of the park to a convincing win over Cyprus at home, then what hope has he against the French in Paris? None.

But these are realities the pundits would rather ignore. The longer Reid is out of the team, the better he gets in their mind. But the reality is Reid was part of the least effective attacking and defensive Irish team in a generation. And he will not give us the defensive steel we need against creative teams in the centre of the park. As a wide player maybe, but not the centre of the park.

Murfinator
16/11/2009, 4:19 PM
Andrews and Whelan impressed me against France on Saturday and both proved more useful in that role than I think Whelan would ever be. Whelan was good at breaking up play and Andrews imposed himself a lot. A passer of the ball is good if you have a team capable of using posession well, we don't so I think Andy in the centre would be a bit of a luxury that would hurt us more than it'd help us.

On the wing he'd be a good call but the way Lawrence and Duff performed on Saturday I don't think Reid would be significantly better.

I would however like the option of him as a number 10 or the head of a 5 man midfield. Keane and Doyle are very rarely brought into the game so I sometimes wonder if we're wasting men having both of them up there doing nothing.

FarBeag
16/11/2009, 4:24 PM
He also started in what was Stan's last game against Cyprus in Croke Park which proved to be the final nail in the coffin of Stan.

For something like 90 minutes we huffed and puffed against the might of, wait for it, Cyprus, with the great Andy Reid pulling the strings in midfield. We eventually got a goal from a defender in the last minute or two which was probably not deserved.

And if this guy cannot drive Ireland from the centre of the park to a convincing win over Cyprus at home, then what hope has he against the French in Paris? None.

But these are realities the pundits would rather ignore. The longer Reid is out of the team, the better he gets in their mind. But the reality is Reid was part of the least effective attacking and defensive Irish team in a generation. And he will not give us the defensive steel we need against creative teams in the centre of the park. As a wide player maybe, but not the centre of the park.

So did 10 other players but let’s blame poor old Andy for it. Ireland were a shambles under Stan. Although a very intelligent player Reid at the time was unprofessional in regard to his physical state. He is a different player now still intelligent but much better physically. I would loved to have seen him come off the bench on Saturday and be available as an option on Wednesday. I am sure that he would have contributed much more than Hunt or McGeady when they made an appearance.

jbyrne
16/11/2009, 4:32 PM
Thats RTE fulfilling what they regard as their duty to the license holders by catering for the punditry needs of the rabble.
"Steven Reid, a good honest lad and a patriot who must be heartbroken at his home in Blackburn while Trap continues to callously ignore him...."
cue for a few tears to well up in Eamon's eyes as his voice trembles coping with the infinite compassion pouring out from the heart of the self proclaimed man of the people.

what i cant understand (or maybe i should know better) is how little research the interviewer has done to respond with facts to such drivel?

Fairkop
16/11/2009, 4:53 PM
guys,guys, i cant believe you all having a go at the expert analysis of GILESY and DUNPH ,after all they were the ones to tell us PAUL JEWELL ticked all the right boxs:eek:.....speaking of which where IS paul jewell.:rolleyes:

Emmet7
16/11/2009, 5:03 PM
So did 10 other players but let’s blame poor old Andy for it. Ireland were a shambles under Stan. Although a very intelligent player Reid at the time was unprofessional in regard to his physical state. He is a different player now still intelligent but much better physically. I would loved to have seen him come off the bench on Saturday and be available as an option on Wednesday. I am sure that he would have contributed much more than Hunt or McGeady when they made an appearance.

I know what we will get from Andy Reid and anyone who has watched him for any length of time knows what we will get. You will get a guy who will try a few dinky passes. They may get through to Doyle and Keane, they may not. If they do get through or they don't eventually Andy Reid will have to face an opposing team on the attack. And that's where Andy Reid's weakness is, defending and breaking down other team's attacks. If people think we were overrun on Saturday, we would have been simply mauled with Andy Reid in the team.

He has no physical presence whatsoever, it's not his fault. The French would walk through midfield and rather than the 2 or 3 half chances they had on Saturday night, it's likely they'd have 9 or 10 solid scoring chances coming through the middle of the park.

I think if we were all honest, the reason the French only scored one was due largely to our defensive midfielders and Trap's defensive system.

Emmet7
16/11/2009, 5:09 PM

Agreed we were a joke under Stan apart from a few players whose individual brilliance shone through, the usual few such as Dunne and Given.

Andy Reid's individual brilliance certainly didn't shine through because he clearly and blatently failed to impose himself against Cyrpus, a team who have never qualified for a major international championship.

DeLorean
16/11/2009, 5:11 PM

For something like 90 minutes we huffed and puffed against the might of, wait for it, Cyprus, with the great Andy Reid pulling the strings in midfield. We eventually got a goal from a defender in the last minute or two which was probably not deserved

Emmet man seriously, what did Reid actually do to you? it's fine thinking he wouldn't add much to the Irish team, it's fine thinking he's overrated, it's fine thinking he's lazy and a defensive liability but blaming him, exclusively, for poor Irish performances when the whole teams was a shambles is just f**king thick.

Emmet7
16/11/2009, 5:16 PM
Emmet man seriously, what did Reid actually do to you? it's fine thinking he wouldn't add much to the Irish team, it's fine thinking he's overrated, it's fine thinking he lazy and a defensive liability but blaming him, exclusively, for poor Irish performances when the whole teams was a shambles is just f**king thick.

Basically I am sick of hearing Andy Reid is the new Pele or the new Maradona.

He is an average player playing in a mid table Sunderland side.

Anyone who thinks Andy Reid would make Ireland a better team is thick and deluded too.

So many people have been hoodwinked by "experts" who are driving an agenda to get Trap out. The same losers who were failed managers and failed players. Why would you take your lead from failed managers and failed players?

DeLorean
16/11/2009, 5:20 PM
So many people have been hoodwinked by experts who are driving an agenda to get Trap out. The same losers who were failed managers and failed players. Why would you take your lead from failed managers and failed players?

Have you that little respect for people on here that you think we're all innocently led by the media, and that we don't base our opinions on what we see for ourselves?