Midfielders - Hunt
Andrews
Whelan
Mc Geady

Forwards - Keane
Duff

irishultra
15/11/2009, 1:59 AM
I don't even want to know. Wednesday will be a hard watch. We won't get destroyed or anything but I just can't see it happening. We need to just take it to them, not let 'home advantage' crap interfere. If we're going to go out lets do it with a bit of passion and really making a go at it. I would take nothing from a 0-0 and I know trap is going to play for a 0-0 and hope somehow we score in last 10 minutes to take the game to extra time.

Colbert Report
15/11/2009, 2:54 AM
Trap will line out the same team that he did today. He will do exactly what irishultra suggests, play for 0-0 and then start to gamble with ten minutes to go.

OwenGoal
15/11/2009, 2:57 AM
I think he said as much in the post-match interviews

BigfeetBigsocks
15/11/2009, 8:18 AM
Here is my choice -

Goals - Given

Defenders - O'Shea
Dunne
St Ledger
Mc Shane

Midfielders - Hunt
Andrews
Whelan
Mc Geady

Forwards - Keane
Duff

Would love to see Trap use some imagination a play

Given
O'Shea Dunne St Ledger Kilbane

Whelan Andrew

Hunt

Duff McGeady

Keane

And for once lets not give a **** and go for a win

abbeyvale
15/11/2009, 9:09 AM
Given
O'Shea Dunne St Ledger

Hunt Whelan Andrew Duff

McGeady
Keane Doyle

zinedineontour
15/11/2009, 9:33 AM
Here is my choice -

Goals - Given

Defenders - O'Shea
Dunne
St Ledger
Mc Shane

Midfielders - Hunt
Andrews
Whelan
Mc Geady

Forwards - Keane
Duff

Same as last night. Mc Shane should be nowhere near the side. Still in this tie and really think we can do it over there.

Paddy Garcia
15/11/2009, 9:39 AM
Here is my choice -

Goals - Given

Defenders - O'Shea
Dunne
St Ledger
Mc Shane

Midfielders - Hunt
Andrews
Whelan
Mc Geady

Forwards - Keane
Duff

Jesus - McShane - are you French ?

MeathDrog
15/11/2009, 10:57 AM
Given
O'Shea Dunne St Ledger

Hunt Whelan Andrew Duff

McGeady
Keane Doyle
That line-up would get ripped to shreds.

Irish_Praha
15/11/2009, 11:19 AM
Lads I was just saying in the post match thread that Trap will stick with the same system as last night. Going all out attack or playing with 3 defenders is only going to end up in us getting hammered. Unfortunately I can only see the current system getting us another 1-1 draw at best but who knows we might scrape a 1-0 win.

The team will basically be the same as last night. If any changes are made it won't be to the system but McGeady might start instead of Lawrence.
If it is still 0-0 going into the second half I think he will make changes a bit earlier than the 80th min, like Italy away.

Fixer82
15/11/2009, 11:34 AM
same team I think except McGeady in for Lawrence

Ciaran W
15/11/2009, 11:52 AM
I dont see why he trap is goin to try and hold out for a 0-0 until the last 10 minutes.We will eventually let in a goal in 60-70 minute again like we do in every match ! Just go for it trap,give us a bit of entertainment as least

jo84
15/11/2009, 12:12 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/8361229.stm

stojkovic
15/11/2009, 4:14 PM
same team I think except McGeady in for Lawrence

So he can give the ball away for 90 mins instead of just the last 15.

Manblue
15/11/2009, 4:20 PM
Firstly bar one mistake i dont see why kilbane shout be dropped i actually thought it was his best performance for a while,

And that team with 3 at the back against french- WTF seriously,we would get battered, were only a goal down why would we start so so offensive

geysir
15/11/2009, 4:24 PM
McGeady gave his first ball away after that he was just okay.
He needs to add something more to his game for us, like an ace assist or the odd screaming shot into the top corner of the net.

KK was alright I thought, inevitable heartbreaker goal scare gaff aside.

mark12345
15/11/2009, 4:44 PM
We've got to put Robbie in midfield as a creative influence. It really annoys me that Trap can't see that he's the obvious choice for that role. Put Doyle and Best up front, Robbie in the middle with Duff, McGeady and Andrews or Whelan.

It's worth reminding ourselves that Robbie never has had a problem receiving the ball, turning a man or generally being a bag of tricks for anyone who is marking him. He does it for Spurs in the middle of the park (moreso than as a forward) so why not for Ireland?

Trap has lived by his team selections, he better get it right for Wednesday because his choices for yesterday left an awful lot to be desired (Kilbane, no McGeady or Hunt until it was too late, leaving Lawrence on after he was clearly knackered, no creativity in the middle - we saw the results of hard grafters versus class players yesterday didn't we?).

If he won't go with Andy Reid, and recognizes the need for creativity by continuing to approach Stephen Ireland, then surely he recognizes the need for Keane in the middle???

Stuttgart88
15/11/2009, 5:28 PM
Was thinking along similar lines but with Doyle upfront alone to start with.

4-5-1 just to make ball retention easier and to match their midfield.

I wonder should Whelan be mandated purely to track Anelka. I thought Anelka had a super game last night.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the Ireland boot room in next few days.

elroy
15/11/2009, 5:50 PM
How anyone can suggest McGeady instead of Lawrence is beyond me!!
LL was one of our strongest players last night. Im sick of this idolisation of McGeady, what has he ever done for us??? Very little imo, based on his reputation he should be one of our star player except he is very ordinary for us. Has never scored for one. The only assist in recent times that I can recall is Georgia away. LL deserves to be retained.

It will be same team as sat. I think the more significant factors is what tactics the two teams will operate. I would imagine both will go out with the view of not conceding so I think 0-0 at half time looks very likely. If we score first who knows but its hard to be optimistic after last night. We need to get more set pieces and use them much better. They arent anything special in centre defence and we didnt put enough pressure on this area last night.

NeilMcD
15/11/2009, 6:07 PM
I would certainly pick Lawrence again, I would keep the wingers as they are .

Morbo
15/11/2009, 6:22 PM
I don't think dropping Kilbane for Best is such a terrible idea, there is a chance we will get ripped to shreads but it should also increase our chances of scoring first, hopefully France will be playing cautiously and not take full advantage of the 3 at the back and if we do get a goal we can quilckly sub off Best and revert to a 442.

DeNiro
15/11/2009, 6:28 PM
I am slightly dubious about Hunt. No doubt he adds great zest and energy but his dead ball delivery is ocassionally very poor, most often when we need it. How Trap doesn't see a value in Andy Reid coming off the bench to replace Duff is beyond me.

Anelka was superb last night, always looked dangerous. I wouldn't make any changes for Wednesday. Hunt hasn't the guile to play against Sagna for 90 mins, so I certainly wouldn't start him. Lawrence still the man for the right side.

Park_Lane
15/11/2009, 6:42 PM
http://football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_5696803,00.html

Morbo
15/11/2009, 6:53 PM
No real loss for them, who is his replacement likely to be?

DCross06
15/11/2009, 7:02 PM
------------------------given----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------Josh---------Dunne-----------St. Ledger----------KIlbane---------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------Whelan-----------Andrews----------------------------------------------------------------------- ---Doyle----------------Keane-----------------------Duff---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------Best----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I think it would be adaptable enough, and Doyle started out on the right wing with Cork City and has played there with Reading a lot. Lawrence McGeady and Hunt to come off the bench if needed

MeathDrog
15/11/2009, 7:33 PM
------------------------given----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------Josh---------Dunne-----------St. Ledger----------KIlbane---------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------Whelan-----------Andrews----------------------------------------------------------------------- ---Doyle----------------Keane-----------------------Duff---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------Best----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I think it would be adaptable enough, and Doyle started out on the right wing with Cork City and has played there with Reading a lot. Lawrence McGeady and Hunt to come off the bench if needed
Given in the middle of his goal line is crucial tbh. Can't see anything else working. :)

DeLorean
15/11/2009, 7:41 PM
McGeady for Lawrence and I'll be happy enough. That's all I really wanted yesterday to be honest. I was disgusted when he went with Lawrence. Strange thing is, only for Duff being injured against the Italians I don't think Lawrence would have played that night, and probably not last night either. We already have two stopping midfielders, let wingers be wingers.

Tubeplum4
15/11/2009, 8:18 PM
"We've got to put Robbie in midfield as a creative influence" I agree with Mark12345 on this one, the only thing is we'd be extremely shy up top esp w/o folan. think folan has more about him that bestie at the minute (mainly because of best's inexperience). Keane was instrumental v italy (albeit with 10 men) and i've seen hi drop that deep effectively wi spurs, more so under jol). Anelka done the same thing last nite and i think it worked for them. but it leaves doyle on his own, cant see stokesy or keogh or being considered to start

geysir
15/11/2009, 8:19 PM
I don't know about that.
We have been blessed to have Lawrence just step right up the demands of the game against the best national teams in Europe with such maturity and skill after just 2 friendlies some months apart. His distribution was very smart.
But it is clear that he gradually runs out of steam sometime after the hour mark.

Emmet7
15/11/2009, 9:02 PM
..................Given...........

O'Shea....Dunne....St. Ledger....Kilbane

Hunt......Whelan......Lawrence....McGeady

............Best.....Keane..........

Or else (If Trap abandons his ultra conservatism which I think he might)

..................Given.............

O'Shea....Dunne....St. Ledger....Kilbane

Hunt.........Andrews.........McGeady

..................Keane.................

..........Best...........Doyle..........

seanfhear
15/11/2009, 9:35 PM
LL was one of our strongest players last night. Im sick of this idolisation of McGeady, what has he ever done for us??? Very little imo, based on his reputation he should be one of our star player except he is very ordinary for us. Has never scored for one. The only assist in recent times that I can recall is Georgia away. LL deserves to be retained.

It will be same team as sat. I think the more significant factors is what tactics the two teams will operate. I would imagine both will go out with the view of not conceding so I think 0-0 at half time looks very likely. If we score first who knows but its hard to be optimistic after last night. We need to get more set pieces and use them much better. They arent anything special in centre defence and we didnt put enough pressure on this area last night.
Lawrence came close to getting a goal for us last night(almost a freak block by the defender)
Aiden has played a lot for us and unfortunately does not produce an end product. He is still young though and if he could get a move to a decent club in the EPL or a top european club he may be a star for us in the future. He has not done enough to be a certain starter for Ireland by a long shot.
Liam Lawrence has a better shot, is a lot less likely to give the ball away and is better defensively than Aiden.

Probably the one situation that Aiden is better than Liam is in carrying the ball and dribbling but as of yet he does not produce enough end product.

The way Trap sets up to play which is pretty much on the counter attack it is a big pity that none of our 4 wingers has outstanding pace (a great advantage on the counter attack.

Just as a matter of interest where have the speed merchent wingers gone in world football (remember Kanchelsis of man u or perhaps petrov of man city today)

SwanVsDalton
15/11/2009, 9:40 PM

Squillachi, I think, and he's a not in the same class. It's good news.

Reckon Trap will put out the same team, though I wouldn't mind seeing Robbie play a little deeper as some are suggesting. There's a serious gap between midfield and forwards, and he could be a creative outlet as well as allowing someone to pick up Anelka or one of the other roving French forwards. Anelka did the damage last night, as someone pointed out, all because he dropped deep from nowhere and no one could pick him up.

Stuttgart88
15/11/2009, 9:48 PM
Squillachi, I thinkand we owe that fecker one for Rome in 1990

Lilywhite Army
15/11/2009, 11:39 PM
4-3-1-2

osHEA dUNNE Ledger Kilbane

Steven Reid Whelean Duff

Andy Reid

Keane Doyle

Then Bring on Lawrence Hunt Mc gEady

But as we KNow trap is stubborn and we wont see Reid x2 again

rebelmusic
16/11/2009, 4:57 AM
I'd like to see

O'Shea Dunne Sledge Kilbane

Mcgeady Whelan Lawrence Duff

Keane

Doyler

Andrews did have a fantastic game the other night but i think lawrence could add a bit more offensively while still doing andrews holding role.

endabob1
16/11/2009, 5:30 AM
Team will be exactly the same as Saturday with 20 to go I would expect to see McGeady & Best for Lawrence & either Andrews or Whelan with Keane coming in behind the front 2.

If we concede early we're dead, Trapp will try to keep it a contest as long as possible before going for broke.

DeNiro
16/11/2009, 8:24 AM

Yeh, Squillaci would be the direct replacement. Not as good. Played in Paris in 2004, if I remember correctly.

jbyrne
16/11/2009, 9:07 AM
Firstly bar one mistake i dont see why kilbane shout be dropped i actually thought it was his best performance for a while,

And that team with 3 at the back against french- WTF seriously,we would get battered, were only a goal down why would we start so so offensive

agree on kilbane. was fine on sat and actually pushed forward well once or twice in the first half. hunt was very poor when he came on. hit one dreadful corner in particular. lawrence did well and should keep his place

Duggie
16/11/2009, 9:17 AM
id replace lawerence with mcgeady. we need to score and i think he will cause them more problems. otherwise the same.

Stuttgart88
16/11/2009, 9:19 AM
Much as I rated Doyle's showing on Saturday I'm not sure we need thye guy running his socks off chasing the channels all night. We need to be a bit more intricate in the final third and we need to create opprtunities to shoot.

Something like this appeals to me:

-----Given-----
JOS-Dunne-SSL-KK
-----Whelan----
Duff-Lawrence-Andrews-McGeady (or Hunt)
--------Keane------

That midfield would be solid and mobile enough and Keane could be supported by the wide men in attack, and/or one of Lawrence or Andrews.

Doyle / Hunt (or McGeady) can come on later when we need someone to hold the ball up while we're nervously defending our 2-1 lead!

DeLorean
16/11/2009, 9:47 AM

A big part of the reason for me is that I'd prefer to see an attacking threat than a full back nullifier. Lawrence did his job pretty much to perfection but McGeady would have been far more difficult for the French to cope with, in my opinion. To suggest he's done nothing for Ireland is harsh beyong belief. He's had a decent qualifying campaign. It easy to throw the no goals thing at him but that's pretty much a non-issue for me. In the games he started he provided the cross for Doyle in Mainz, was motm by a distance in Croke Park against the same opposition, looked dangerous against Cyprus at home and to be fair was pretty average against Motenegro away and Bulgaria at home. He had a really good match at home to the Italians. I think he's been improving all the time for us, nothing at all against Lawrence but our system was already so defensive that I don't think sacrificing another attacking option was necessary. As for the set pieces, what was the story with Duff taking outswingers from the left and Lawrence from the right, totally stupid. It was our so called best chance of scoring and inswinging corners are far more dangerous.

dingbat
16/11/2009, 10:03 AM
Hunt should be nowhere near this team. The only thing he guarantees is to constantly give away the ball, and against a good team like France when we have the ball for so little time anyway, playing somebody like Hunt is just shooting ourselves in the foot.

Lawrence did ok the other night. Duff was very intelligent with the ball but it was obvious that he was given licence not to track back, hence the reason that Kilbane looked so exposed.

The big thing I'd like to see isn't so much a change in personnel but a change in mindset when we're counterattacking. We counter with three players, maximum, and usually there's only one person in the box when the ball gets there. We're missing either the other winger or one of the midfielders getting there as the late man in, which they're all very capable of doing.

And as for the people around me who were berating the team for not pushing everybody into attack when we went a goal down, well, they just don't understand football. 0-2 to the French and the tie is dead; 1-1 and we still have to score in Paris so nothing changes there.

And don't get me started on the fecking Eircom ads blasted out at full time when we were trying to give the lads a good send off for Paris. Muppets.

twoenz
16/11/2009, 10:18 AM
Why the massive changes? We're only 1 nil down, not as if we have to score 8 goals, and being more adventurous would leave in a position to be ripped apart from get go. Go man for man against the attacking threat that the French have? Madness.

If anything this line up needs to be more defensive than the home one. If we can get some set pieces and deliver them a bit better then we'll be in the game. Change it later on if we need to.

Dun Laoire
16/11/2009, 10:46 AM
Why the massive changes? We're only 1 nil down, not as if we have to score 8 goals, and being more adventurous would leave in a position to be ripped apart from get go. Go man for man against the attacking threat that the French have? Madness.

If anything this line up needs to be more defensive than the home one. If we can get some set pieces and deliver them a bit better then we'll be in the game. Change it later on if we need to.

I don't think we had one free kick anywhere near the french end. Domenech done his homework on that one. Would it be a better option to have McGeady on from the start as he runs at defenders and might be able to get us a few set pieces?

jbyrne
16/11/2009, 10:52 AM
I don't think we had one free kick anywhere near the french end. Domenech done his homework on that one

more like everytime we got into their third of the pitch the officials found some way to penalise us. did anyone else see the linesman for the lawrence chance? when it looked like lawrence would score his flag shot up for offside but when it went wide he changed it to a goal kick when it should actually have been a corner

twoenz
16/11/2009, 10:52 AM
I don't think we had one free kick anywhere near the french end. Domenech done his homework on that one. Would it be a better option to have McGeady on from the start as he runs at defenders and might be able to get us a few set pieces?

But we need someone with decent delivery, so he can't do that, and Evra will get the chance to get forward a lot more than he did in the first game.

foureyes
16/11/2009, 10:55 AM
i think it'll be the same team for the first hour and then 'we'll see'.

it could well be over by then anyway. it's a shame folan is out - he had a big impact in the game in italy when he came on, whereas best did nothing on saturday.

i'd be surprised if mcgeady started - he provided no width at all on saturday, it was quite strange.

dynamo kerry
16/11/2009, 11:48 AM
if something had happened or we wanted to change it up in midfield, who else is even in the squad for central midfield?

Stuttgart88
16/11/2009, 11:53 AM
Only Gibson I think, assuming Miller misses this game as well.

dynamo kerry
16/11/2009, 11:57 AM
Only Gibson I think, assuming Miller misses this game as well.

that sounds right.

frighening.

4 wingers and 3 central midfielders. when central midfield is a key part of our system?