PDA

View Full Version : who will martyn play for next season ????

max power
02/03/2004, 7:53 PM
from www.elevenaside.com

Byrne issues Martyn bombshell

Shelbourne Chief Executive Ollie Byrne has insisted that Derry City midfielder Ciaran Martyn is contractually obliged to turn out for the league champions next season.

Martyn signed a pre-contract agreement with Shels last December, but subsequently had a change of heart and agreed a new deal at Derry.

Shels boss Pat Fenlon expressed his disappointment at the time, but the matter appeared to be closed before Byrne’s comments this week.

The Reds supremo has suggested that former UCD man Martyn will not be legally eligible to play for Derry as he is tied to the Dublin club.

Byrne told the Irish Times: “Under no pressure whatsoever he signed a contract which his agent also signed, and he is not being let out of that contract. Somebody then seems to have persuaded him to change his mind, but as far as I’m concerned, he has to play for Shelbourne unless we agree otherwise.”

brendy_éire
02/03/2004, 11:29 PM
Us. Take no notice of the criminal from Shels.

l.f.c......
03/03/2004, 4:55 PM
who gives a f*** you pr***

max power
03/03/2004, 4:56 PM
it least he'll be playing in the el unlike a certain club ???

l.f.c......
03/03/2004, 5:10 PM
we will see later on you scumbag
i often wondered why people dont like derry city now i know
wanting the second oldest team in ireland out of the league
*****s i hope ye go down to div 1 to see what it is like down there
ye were close last season hopefully ye will go a step futher this year

and as for yer chairman what a complete *****,scumbag,

dancinpants
03/03/2004, 8:09 PM
Hmmmm....a thoughtful post :o

max power
04/03/2004, 10:05 AM
l.f.c. is a poet

The Sheliban
05/03/2004, 8:05 AM
A number of questions spring to mind.
How binding is a pre-contract agreement?
If it isn't worth the paper its printed on, what's the point of it? Players could go out and sign five or six of them.
Did Derry know Martyn had signed a pre-contract agreement? Do Derry think pre-contract agreements are binding?
With Martyn signing a pre-contract agreement, Shels obviously felt that that position was covered. When it is revealed that Martyn has signed for Derry, Shels are now badly disadvantaged in their attempts to sign a similar player.
What kind of gobshyte is Martyn to have "a change of heart" after signing for another club?
Surely Ollie doesn't seriously expect Martyn to play for Shels? How can you pick someone who doesn't want to play for you?
I thought that the FAI had ordered Derry to pay compensation to Shels, which to me seems a fair enough arrangement.