PDA

View Full Version : Take Heart - They suck at defending set-pieces!

Philly
13/11/2009, 9:12 PM
Was checking out some videos of the French team in action and came across this clip from their loss against Austria.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PzilMdtwd0

The first two goals for Austria came directly from free-kicks. The Austrians then won a peno after Mexes made a complete mess of this defending a set-piece.

It's clear that their main weakness is our strength. If Lawrence starts, they will really struggle to deal with his delivery.

Also, they are a massive threat when they get the ball in the box from crosses. I think that is okay. The way we set out our stall defensively, we really limit delivery into the box.

Lads, if we play to our strengths, and keep our cool, there's every chance we could be off to South Africa. I'm feeling good about it all of a sudden!

irishfan86
13/11/2009, 9:24 PM
They look vulnerable from set pieces, but even in that mess of a game the French hit two crossbars...could easily have been 3-3 or even 3-2 for the French if the ref turned a blind eye to the grabbing in the box (was pretty awful defending in fairness!).

DannyInvincible
13/11/2009, 9:49 PM
First two Austrian goals are like a circus in the box. Appalling defending.

jebus
13/11/2009, 9:51 PM
they're very beatable lads, i don't know where this fear of them is coming from

geysir
14/11/2009, 12:36 AM
Would that be dutch courage or the real thing?

aldo88
14/11/2009, 12:45 AM
We have nothing to fear. You see Gallas every weak in the premiership but he always has a big man beside him i.e. Vermallen. He not going to win many headers defensively. With the crowd at max volume we going to do it. They scared of our passion

Stuttgart88
14/11/2009, 10:00 AM
Even against Wolves Arsenal's central defence - led by Gallas - looked weak at set pieces. Their keeper looks good but is only 22. We need to put him under pressure early.