PDA

View Full Version : Sligo - next to get in trouble?

Pages : [1] 2

Cosmo
13/11/2009, 6:32 PM
Not wumming sligo fans (have no reason to tbh, just curious) but with them been able to outbid rovers for turner and rumoured to be in for ndo only a week after the season has ended, is it a sign that theyre gona spend money they dont have to get a decent squad together? (cant see logically how they can afford to outbid a club like rovers for players)

Just wondering where their cash is coming from? Do they have a sugardaddy or something? (or hoping their attendences will dramatically increase, their sponsoship income will dramatically increase in todays financial climate,etc?)

Krstic
13/11/2009, 6:41 PM
Or maybe Shamrocks Rovers are being ultra cautious and living within their means.
If all clubs are now watching their backs and tightening their belts then the players will have to settle for realistic salaries.
So maybe this is the start of the end for Ollie Byrne's arms race.:eek:

sligofan4ever
13/11/2009, 7:10 PM
As much as I would like him here, the club shouldn't and probably won't sign N'do. He'll want crazy money, but there are players out there that we can sign instead who'll do a good job. As Rory said, we only have 3 players signed up for the new season, we still dont know if our best players like Cretaro,Boco,Peers,Brush and Keane will be here for the 2010 season.

We are apparently in talks with a Derry City player, and we are also linked with Gareth McGlynn, so hopefully hes our next signing. He'll be free after what happened with Derry City and im confident he would sign on reasonable wages.

Ezeikial
13/11/2009, 7:35 PM
I think that Sligo have shown great ambition in signing Chris Turner, and that it's reasonable to assume that they know where they are going budget-wise for the 2010 season.

But bearing in mind the big wedge that CT will cost, this will take a huge slice out of most clubs budget. The remaining signings will throw more light on whether Sligo are embracing the Win or Bust model or have recently won the lotto.

Tir Oilean
13/11/2009, 8:07 PM
Shur Paul Cook will just resign again unless he gets hhmmmm lets say one million euro this time!!!!!!

forza rovers
13/11/2009, 8:15 PM
75k for just showing up for the cup and we are set to break even this year

Sicuani
13/11/2009, 8:18 PM
Always thought that Sligo were sensible when it came to their squad...offloading players like Fahrudin Kudozović and Adam Hughes to other clubs who had little or no financial sense.

dong
13/11/2009, 10:03 PM
Have to agree with Rory on this.
I would be a bit concerned at the minute but lets see what happens. I would hope to see three players on their way out anyways and our squad is still quite small.
All depends on which of our current squad stay on really. I have faith in the way the club is being run, particularly since our new chairman came on board. Hope its not blind!
This is the league of Ireland after all. When you see what went on at Derry, that is gut wrenching stuff for fans. We have a bit of stability at the club now, let's not be foolish and blow it.

Mad Moose
13/11/2009, 10:09 PM
Have to agree with Rory on this.
I would hope to see three players on their way out anyways and our squad is still quite small.

Homer? Parky?

HarpsinDublin
13/11/2009, 10:35 PM
Homer? Parky?

Homer is long gone Brendan playing for Stute now in the Irish League.

SligoBrewer
13/11/2009, 10:44 PM
Homer is long gone Brendan playing for Stute now in the Irish League.

Parky is long gone as well.

SMorgan
13/11/2009, 10:45 PM
I think that Sligo have shown great ambition in signing Chris Turner, and that it's reasonable to assume that they know where they are going budget-wise for the 2010 season.

But bearing in mind the big wedge that CT will cost, this will take a huge slice out of most clubs budget. The remaining signings will throw more light on whether Sligo are embracing the Win or Bust model or have recently won the lotto.

That's a big assumption. Remember at the start of last season the FAI had to ask Sligo to take another look at their financial budgets and projections and resubmit them.n I hope they know what they are doing.

DmanDmythDledge
13/11/2009, 10:46 PM
I have faith in the way the club is being run, particularly since our new chairman came on board.
When was the new chairman appointed?

SligoBrewer
13/11/2009, 10:48 PM
When was the new chairman appointed?

Beginning of this season afair.

SligoBrewer
13/11/2009, 10:50 PM
Remember at the start of last season the FAI had to ask Sligo to take another look at their financial budgets and projections and resubmit them.n I hope they know what they are doing.

Well, at least we submitted accounts, and honest ones at that..

dublinred
13/11/2009, 10:54 PM
Not wumming sligo fans (have no reason to tbh, just curious) but with them been able to outbid rovers for turner and rumoured to be in for ndo only a week after the season has ended, is it a sign that theyre gona spend money they dont have to get a decent squad together? (cant see logically how they can afford to outbid a club like rovers for players)

Just wondering where their cash is coming from? Do they have a sugardaddy or something? (or hoping their attendences will dramatically increase, their sponsoship income will dramatically increase in todays financial climate,etc?)

Its easy to outbid Shams , we don't have to pay the council rent for our ground so have a bit more in the player kitty.

Da Real Rover
13/11/2009, 11:41 PM
As far as I know we are currently 60k in debt.
So we are firmly on course to be one of the few LoI clubs to not be ending with a budget defecit.

Joe Strummer
13/11/2009, 11:47 PM
Its easy to outbid Shams , we don't have to pay the council rent for our ground so have a bit more in the player kitty.

Yeah… and what you save on rent you make up on 5.000 plus crowds you get every second week!!! :rolleyes:

dublinred
13/11/2009, 11:57 PM
Yeah… and what you save on rent you make up on 5.000 plus crowds you get every second week!!! :rolleyes:

We don't need 5k plus crowds every week, we have been surviving 81 years in a remote outpost of Ireland without ever needing to go into liquidation or selling our ground , the fact that we pay wages every week and have down so for the past 4600 weeks makes us an attractive proposition for Turner given his missus is expecting.

corkharps
14/11/2009, 12:02 AM
We don't need 5k plus crowds every week, we have been surviving 81 years in a remote outpost of Ireland without ever needing to go into liquidation or selling our ground , the fact that we pay wages every week and have down so for the past 4600 weeks makes us an attractive proposition for Turner given his missus is expecting.

Good answer. You get to work with Bill Cullen for a year.

Joe Strummer
14/11/2009, 12:11 AM

Thats right................ Time to wake up now.. Oh and i dont support Rovers

dublinred
14/11/2009, 12:14 AM
Good answer. You get to work with Bill Cullen for a year.
He couldn't afford me , there is a guy running the books at our club now called Vincent Nally in him we trust , prudent and sensible.

corkharps
14/11/2009, 12:17 AM
He couldn't afford me , there is a guy running the books at our club now called Vincent Nally in him we trust , prudent and sensible.

You're fired!

dublinred
14/11/2009, 2:04 AM
We had a minor wobbly in 2007 all sorted now, thanks for the concern great people in charge of finance now.

LukeO
14/11/2009, 3:31 AM
the fact that we pay wages every week and have down so for the past 4600 weeks makes us an attractive proposition for Turner given his missus is expecting.

Is she yer wan in that video?

placid casual
14/11/2009, 8:46 AM

so was it him that handed out the brown envelope under the table !?

Guts&Glory
15/11/2009, 8:45 PM
I am sure CT took into consideraton the cost of living and lifestyle choice of Sligo Verus Dublin.

I am sure Cookie emphasised the points as well.

Also given he was at the Showgies previously and said he regretted leaving the place he knows what he is getting into.

Anyway people seem to be assuming he is going to be on a big wedge at the Showgies or something!!

Decent pay I am sure, Bohs/Derry/Cork like wages no way.

Magicme
16/11/2009, 12:48 PM
Gutted I missed all those unsubstantiated allegations, I need a bit of gossip on a wet miserable Monday!

Acornvilla
16/11/2009, 4:55 PM
yea feck that wish i didnt go to college now!!

Martinho II
16/11/2009, 5:36 PM
Gutted I missed all those unsubstantiated allegations, I need a bit of gossip on a wet miserable Monday!

you would think magicme you would have all the juicy gossip urself!;)

Magicme
16/11/2009, 7:37 PM
Aw but my gossip is too salicious for foot.ie! :eek:

Dillonman
16/11/2009, 7:39 PM
Aw but my gossip is too salicious for foot.ie! :eek:

SO who has been released from Monaghan Utd then?

Magicme
16/11/2009, 7:46 PM
Not telling. :p

Dillonman
16/11/2009, 7:57 PM
Not telling. :p

Whos staing then?!:p

Magicme
16/11/2009, 8:41 PM
Definately not telling that!

mint sauce
16/11/2009, 9:14 PM
yea feck that wish i didnt go to college now!!

should have had a quick gander before i started work

:D

Acornvilla
16/11/2009, 9:18 PM
should have had a quick gander before i started work

:D

ah feck i just looked at the times of the posts i conciously decided not to bother having a look at the site thismorning grrrrrrr!!!!! the little things in life really pee me off:o

Longfordian
16/11/2009, 9:21 PM
If you're that upset lads you could try bribing one of the mods to PM you the gory details, they can still see the posts. Er, not that I'm advising you to do this of course as that's surely against the rules!.

Acornvilla
16/11/2009, 9:29 PM
i am frightfully upset *swoon*

Riddickcule
16/11/2009, 9:39 PM
Lads, whats the story here like?

Whats with all the deleted messages n'all ?? ..lol

Schumi
16/11/2009, 9:40 PM
It wasn't that interesting lads.

Acornvilla
16/11/2009, 9:45 PM
why did it get deleted so! kill joys! the man always tyin ta keep a player down :(

Da Real Rover
16/11/2009, 10:44 PM
It really wasnt.

sligored
17/11/2009, 8:32 AM
I think this thread title should be changed if we are deleting posts for unsubstantiated allegations. The deleted post was only about spectator numbers at the recent cup semi final and this has been done to death in other threads.
By the way i agree with the mods deleting the post by roinuj

Redie
17/11/2009, 8:40 AM
Word now is that Sligo Rovers have bought a new set of nets.

Where did they get the money for them?

The Lep
17/11/2009, 4:41 PM
75k for just showing up for the cup and we are set to break even this year

75k for runners up? Thats not bad. How much does the winners get?

SligoBrewer
17/11/2009, 4:41 PM
75k for runners up? Thats not bad. How much does the winners get?

You won't need to worry about that.

Riddickcule
17/11/2009, 4:43 PM
I think the winners prize is 150k

galwayjames
17/11/2009, 5:27 PM
And of course a place in Europe

sligofan4ever
17/11/2009, 5:32 PM
And of course a place in Europe

If we win this cup I hope we meet the Albanians again, give them a good going over this time. Easily the worst performance from a team against us in the Showgrounds this season.