PDA

View Full Version : Team to play France announced

jbyrne
13/11/2009, 1:52 PM
no real surprises but he has stated that it will be either mcgeady or lawrence on the right wing and wont decide till tomorrow...

given
oshea
dunne
st ledger
kilbane
lawrence / mcgeady
whelan
andrews
duff
keane
doyle

gufct
13/11/2009, 1:55 PM
I think Lawrence will start as he did a fantastic job tracking back against the Italians and he gives us a huge threat at place kicks.

Duggie
13/11/2009, 1:58 PM
i hope he goes for mcgeady. he wins a lot of free kicks and is a great out ball. yes his final ball isnt perfect but i still believe in his ability on the ball. plus hes bound to score sooner or later...the fact he hasnt decided yet it must be really close in his mind.

Leeside Swagger
13/11/2009, 1:59 PM
Ya id agree with gufct, Lawerence adds a lot more to the team, hopefully Trap will go with him. A repeat of the goal against SA please Liam.

paul_oshea
13/11/2009, 2:02 PM
I think the reason he hasn't decided yet is he wants to see what domenech goes for, if domenech goes for a more defensive approach then i reckon mcgeady will get the nod.

Trap id say is wondering whether they keep it tight for most of the game and then hope we get a set piece and defend a 1 - 0 lead to paris and that would be why lawrence plays ahead of mcgeady.

It also keeps the french guessing. A nice little move by trap there.

Closed Account
13/11/2009, 2:20 PM
http://i38.tinypic.com/24fh1ly.gif

paul_oshea
13/11/2009, 2:28 PM
"John O'Shea will stay at right-back, with the Ireland manager resisting the temptation to move the Manchester United man into midfield."

Whats that about? sure he was never going to move him into midfield....

DeLorean
13/11/2009, 2:38 PM
I've a feeling it's gonna be McGeady now. I thought it was it was going to be Lawrence until that was released. You don't keep everybody guessing only to unleash Liam freakin Lawrence at the end of it. Sorry like, he's a useful player but McGeady's a match winner. Duff will keep Evra busy defending and he'll help O'Shea out when needs be. I presume McGeady would be on the left wouldn't he? We still have Whelan for the set pieces, no problem.

Closed Account
13/11/2009, 2:45 PM
I've a feeling it'll be McGeady too, going to stick some money on him first goalscorer 14/1, for EB.
McGeady is the right choice in my opinion anyway. France like to push there full backs forward as wingers, play 2-2-6 effectively, but if we can get the ball behind them for Duff and McGeady to run onto then they'll have no width. Common Junior Football tactic.
McGeady is more suited to this than Lawrence who likes to play coming onto the play. If we do play like this, Hunt would even be a better choice than Lawrence. But Hunt is effective coming off the bench.
A no score draw or one goal advantage should see Lawrence get his chance on Wednesday.

eaststand85
13/11/2009, 2:49 PM
I think the reason he hasn't decided yet is he wants to see what domenech goes for, if domenech goes for a more defensive approach then i reckon mcgeady will get the nod.

Trap id say is wondering whether they keep it tight for most of the game and then hope we get a set piece and defend a 1 - 0 lead to paris and that would be why lawrence plays ahead of mcgeady.

It also keeps the french guessing. A nice little move by trap there.

Anyone know when the french are due to name their team?

paul_oshea
13/11/2009, 2:55 PM
I've a feeling it's gonna be McGeady now. I thought it was it was going to be Lawrence until that was released. You don't keep everybody guessing only to unleash Liam freakin Lawrence at the end of it. Sorry like, he's a useful player but McGeady's a match winner. Duff will keep Evra busy defending and he'll help O'Shea out when needs be. I presume McGeady would be on the left wouldn't he? We still have Whelan for the set pieces, no problem.

Ya, for a motivational factor.

Ill try and get to a bookies a put a tennor on when im over as joe.

Id love it for EB:) for mcgeady to get the first one after schimmying and leaves the frogs in their wake because of their arrogance. :)

paul_oshea
13/11/2009, 2:56 PM
Anyone know when the french are due to name their team?

Doesn't it have to be 24 hours before kick off so id expect it this evening sometime.

paul_oshea
13/11/2009, 3:00 PM
Im shaking now ....

Listening to a total eclipse of hte heart, some combination....:D

rambler14
13/11/2009, 3:06 PM
Simple. Lawrence can cross and is great on set-pieces and McGeady refuses to cross and would bring the whole atmosphere of Croke Park down as he constantly loses the ball!

Liam Lawrence is the answer.

Junior
13/11/2009, 3:09 PM
Doesn't it have to be 24 hours before kick off so id expect it this evening sometime.

Nope. We havent actually named our team we've named 10 of them. The 11th man to be announced before kick off tomorrow.

paul_oshea
13/11/2009, 3:10 PM
Nope. Thats not what i meant junior!!! i was on about the french team.

I thought the away team had to name 24 hours before kick off?! Whereas the home team could wait until an hour before kick off.

Closed Account 2
13/11/2009, 3:20 PM
McGeady or Lawrence is a tough call, I think I'd go for McGeady and tell him to just run at the French with the ball, hopefully this will give us free kicks and tire them out. And then I'd bring Liam on from the bench with say 20mins left (depending on the result) so that he would be dealing with fatigued French defenders allowing him more time to put his crosses in.

richieos
13/11/2009, 3:22 PM
I think this is one of those selection decisions where its a win/win. Both players have obvious benefits and can trouble the french defence in different ways. Personally i'm happy with whoever trap picks, and for a while ive wanted it to be lawrence, but now i just have a good feeling about mcgeady. We're blessed with wingers these days compared to the last 6-8 years.

Junior
13/11/2009, 3:24 PM
Nope. Thats not what i meant junior!!! i was on about the french team.

I thought the away team had to name 24 hours before kick off?! Whereas the home team could wait until an hour before kick off.

Yeah I knew what you meant, the French team. My point was that we hadnt named our side yet (fully).

I wasnt aware there was any difference in deadline for the Home and Away sides - In fact Id be gobsmacked if that was the case.

punkrocket
13/11/2009, 3:39 PM
At least it's not her other hit. Dont jinx us now.

paul_oshea
13/11/2009, 3:47 PM
Ya thinking about it junior it doesn't make any sense and ive never seen it before(as in often not nkowing away teams until kick off), but i had it in me head for some reason....

Must be all the nerves making me think silly things!!!!

Giuly
13/11/2009, 3:52 PM
Lloris - Sagna, Gallas, Abidal, Evra - A. Diarra, L. Diarra - Anelka, Gourcuff, Henry - Gignac.

Probably

Closed Account
13/11/2009, 3:53 PM
I'm awful nervous already, finishing work now. Few pints tonight then up to Dublin tomorrow, I can hardly wait. Catch up on here Monday I guess.

Best of luck to the lads tomorrow, I'm sure you won't let us down, we'll be cheering our hearts out for ye. Come on You Boys In Green

geysir
13/11/2009, 4:18 PM
Lloris - Sagna, Gallas, Abidal, Evra - A. Diarra, L. Diarra - Anelka, Gourcuff, Henry - Gignac.

Probably
Is that the best you can roll out? :rolleyes:

Welcome back Giuly,
I'm so glad you kept the faith with Domenech :)

micls
13/11/2009, 4:22 PM
Lawrence for me. The key at home is a clean sheet and Lawrence offers far more in this regard. Also thought his set piece deliveries were excellent in the last game which is where we are most likely to score.

Let himself run his legs off for 70 and send McGeady on to change it up then

Yard of Pace
13/11/2009, 4:35 PM
My nerves are so frazzled in a can't believe this match is feckin' tomorrow way that I have no idea who I'd prefer from McGeady or Lawrence. I wonder how sharp Lawrence has looked in training with his lack of recent game time? He seems like the kind of player who could get by on sheer adrenalin alone, mind you.

TerryPhelan
13/11/2009, 4:38 PM
Good team. As strong as could've been picked. I reckon Trap's deliberation over who to start on the right is a bit of tactical mischief - I reckon he will go with Lawrence whose defensive game is stronger than McGeady's. I do, however, have concerns about our bench: McGeady, Hunt and Best are the only viable substitutes. Would hate to be in a position where McShane, Nolan or Stokes had to come on.

Drumcondra 69er
13/11/2009, 4:41 PM

When's McGeady ever won a match for us? It's France we're playing not Falkirk. McGeady's suffering from no CL this season, the SPL in general isn't even Championship level any more. I'd still have Lawrence in ahead and think that's how he'l go. If not then I hope Aiden begins fulfilling his promise.

geysir
13/11/2009, 5:00 PM
If McGeady does no more than repeat his performance against Italy I would be content.
Apart from a few wayward crosses he hardly put a foot wrong the whole night.
I hope he keeps cutting inside.
Make no mistake France will watching him like a hawk

thepiedpiper
13/11/2009, 5:17 PM
When's McGeady ever won a match for us? It's France we're playing not Falkirk. McGeady's suffering from no CL this season, the SPL in general isn't even Championship level any more. I'd still have Lawrence in ahead and think that's how he'l go. If not then I hope Aiden begins fulfilling his promise.
Georgia away.

Murfinator
13/11/2009, 5:37 PM
think it'll be mcgeady, Trap knows the french are expecting caution and by not confirming his winger I think he'll give them what they don't expect and aim to blitz them early, win tomorrow, go with Lawrence and containment on Wednesday. Hello world cup.

Scram
14/11/2009, 10:34 AM

NO, he would not be on the left! Trappatoni has named his starting ten and either McGeady or Lawrence are named on the Right side of midfield. Why would you assume on the left when Duffer always starts there if fit?

Unlike some Muppets above who's opinion of McGeady are obviously based on a complete lack of basic knowledge ("McGeady giving the ball away" bringing the crowd down" etc."), I fully understand Trap's dilemma.

Lawrence brings strength and potential from set pieces, McGeady causes any defence massive problems when running at them and will give all for 90 minutes and has every potential to create or score goals, attack being the best form of defence.

micls
14/11/2009, 11:23 AM
Unlike some Muppets above who's opinion of McGeady are obviously based on a complete lack of basic knowledge ("McGeady giving the ball away"

What? Are you trying to claim McGeady doesnt give the ball away ridiculously often when playing for Ireland?

Irish_Praha
14/11/2009, 12:44 PM
At least it's not her other hit. Dont jinx us now.

What for a coincidence, she was on the telly here in Germany yesterday; singing the song Paul O'shea mentioned. It has to be a good omen ;)

DeLorean
14/11/2009, 1:54 PM

I think he played well most of this campaign. Provided the cross for Doyle in Mainz. Keane gets most of the credit for the home win against Georgia but McGeady was our only player doing anything that night until the crazy penalty. He was every bit as good, in my opinion better, than Lawrence against Italy which is the only match that people are basing Lawrences credentials on really. Whelan takes many a set piece for Stoke ahead of Lawrence so I don't think he should be on for that reason either. I like Lawrence, don't get me wrong, but I'm sure France would be far happier to see him take the field than McGeady.

DeLorean
14/11/2009, 2:05 PM
NO, he would not be on the left! Trappatoni has named his starting ten and either McGeady or Lawrence are named on the Right side of midfield. Why would you assume on the left when Duffer always starts there if fit?

They've only played together twice in this campaign. I thought McGeady played on the right on those occasions i.e at home to Cyprus and Georgia.

What? Are you trying to claim McGeady doesnt give the ball away ridiculously often when playing for Ireland?

He doesn't, unless you consider failed crosses giving the ball away.

Mr Maroon
14/11/2009, 3:08 PM
Has the France team been announced?

fu1ham
14/11/2009, 3:17 PM
Needs McG to sub-cover Duffer, who's liable to blow up.

micls
14/11/2009, 5:13 PM
He doesn't, unless you consider failed crosses giving the ball away.

Come off the stage ffs. The amount of times he overdoes it instead of passing it and then runs into dead ends is ridiculous.

And yes, I also consider a poor final delievery giving the ball away needlessly.

DeLorean
14/11/2009, 5:41 PM
Come off the stage ffs

I think sometimes he tries too hard to force an opening maybe, usually because the options aren't great but other than that he retains possession better than most of our players.

micls
14/11/2009, 5:48 PM
I think sometimes he tries too hard to force an opening maybe, usually because the options aren't great but other than that he retains possession better than most of our players.

Most of our players are ****e at keeping possession and in general we dont play a possession game.

McGeady tries to keep possession but almost always take the step too far and loses it or puts an awful ball straight to a defender.

He's great to have as an out ball as he'l run and run at them, but when the priority is to keep a clean sheet Lawrence is the better option. Depending on tonights result it could be a different story in France.

DeLorean
15/11/2009, 6:05 PM
He's great to have as an out ball as he'l run and run at them, but when the priority is to keep a clean sheet Lawrence is the better option. Depending on tonights result it could be a different story in France.

The priority should have been to win though, clean sheet would have been a massive bonus. Fairly fecked now anyway unless we can score first, but even then...