PDA

View Full Version : Do away goals count in extra time?

Colbert Report
13/11/2009, 9:31 AM
Anyone know? I know they do in the Champions League knockout stages but I don't know about this play-off thingy.

harps1954
13/11/2009, 9:42 AM
As far as I know, away goals will count before the game gets to extra time. So basically, if it's 1-1 in Dublin and 0-0 in Paris at the end of the 90 minutes in Paris, France will qualify.

shep
13/11/2009, 9:43 AM
I was thinking about this this morning already,i would think they definatly do.The Champions league is the darling of Uefa,so i would imagine same rules apply.I remember losing a couple of pints in a bet with a few mates during the extra time of Chelsea v liverpool a few years back because i was of the opinion they did not count in extra time.....i was wrong!!!

eaststand85
13/11/2009, 9:53 AM
I would presume so, they do in every other FIFA/UEFA competition as far as I know.

eaststand85
13/11/2009, 9:56 AM
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=685887&cc=5739

The team scoring more goals on aggregate wins the play-off. If the scores are level on aggregate, away goals count double. If the teams are level on away goals, or if both matches end goalless, extra-time of two periods of 15 minutes each will be played at the end of the second match. If the score is level after extra time, penalty kicks will be taken to determine the winner.

No mention of goals scored in extra time being treated any differently to those scored in normal time.

Closed Account
13/11/2009, 10:10 AM
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=685887&cc=5739

The team scoring more goals on aggregate wins the play-off. If the scores are level on aggregate, away goals count double. If the teams are level on away goals, or if both matches end goalless, extra-time of two periods of 15 minutes each will be played at the end of the second match. If the score is level after extra time, penalty kicks will be taken to determine the winner.

No mention of goals scored in extra time being treated any differently to those scored in normal time.
I just looked that up too, nearly definite that away goals count in extra time, one small advantage of playing away from home second leg, you potentially have a half hour extra to get an away goal.

Drumcondra 69er
13/11/2009, 10:11 AM
Yes they do. I'm staggered that there seems to be confusion about this, they always do.

twoenz
13/11/2009, 10:15 AM
They do.

Trap should throw on an extra forward at the 90 to freak Domenech out.

eaststand85
13/11/2009, 10:24 AM
They do.

Trap should throw on an extra forward at the 90 to freak Domenech out.

A Scorpio to really freak him out! :) (Think Folan is one but do we have any others?)

Colbert Report
13/11/2009, 10:42 AM
Yes they do. I'm staggered that there seems to be confusion about this, they always do.

The only reason I brought it up was because someone posted in another thread saying that they don't count. I was surprised and thought it was worth starting a thread to clarify.

Drumcondra 69er
13/11/2009, 11:02 AM
The only reason I brought it up was because someone posted in another thread saying that they don't count. I was surprised and thought it was worth starting a thread to clarify.

No bother mate, response wasn't aimed at you, had seen it in the other thread myself.

Closed Account
13/11/2009, 11:10 AM
Any confusion would of arisen from the different rules that sometimes can apply e.g the League Cup in England. And they don't always count. CONCACAF have different rules to UEFA for example and don't count away goals in extra time.

macdermesser
13/11/2009, 12:00 PM
A Scorpio to really freak him out! :) (Think Folan is one but do we have any others?)

Folan is injured

Wolfie
13/11/2009, 12:01 PM
There's been a FIFA rule change this time around.

Following on from the seeded draw, away goals count double for France but do not count double for the unseeded, lower form of human evolution team.

DeLorean
13/11/2009, 12:07 PM
The League Cup in England is a better system actually. If a team is level on aggregate surely they deserve at least extra time before away goals count against them. I actually think penalties is fairer than the away goals rule, stupid stupid rule in my opinion, scoring the same amount of goals and losing, ridiculous. It was brought in to make teams play more offensively away from home and all it has done is made the home team more cautious, the away side is still pretty happy with a 0-0 draw more often than not. Plus, the team playing away from home in the 2nd Leg know what they have to do, away goals-wise which is an advantage. God I hate that rule.

As for getting an extra half hour to score an away goal in the 2nd Leg, I think that pretty much cancels out with the fact that France get an extra half hour of home advantage.

Drumcondra 69er
13/11/2009, 12:24 PM
Any confusion would of arisen from the different rules that sometimes can apply e.g the League Cup in England. And they don't always count. CONCACAF have different rules to UEFA for example and don't count away goals in extra time.

Sorry mate, I was talking about UEFA competition rules.

Reality Bites
13/11/2009, 12:38 PM
Speaking of Penalties, Ronaldinhos Penalty against Real Madrid in Champions league last week was the best penalty I think I have ever seen... a Bullet is no exageration.. I don't think we have anyone with as lethal a shot as Ronny, pity that!!

magnumpi
13/11/2009, 1:00 PM
steven reid can wallop a ball harder than that, but he's not selected.

Duggie
13/11/2009, 1:02 PM
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeelllllannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Metrostars
13/11/2009, 2:35 PM
There's been a FIFA rule change this time around.

Following on from the seeded draw, away goals count double for France but do not count double for the unseeded, lower form of human evolution team.

You're right. If it's 0-0 after the game in Dublin, I'm sure UEFA and FIFA will state on Monday morning that away goals don't count.

eaststand85
13/11/2009, 2:45 PM
Folan is injured

That's why I asked if we have any others!

onenilgameover
13/11/2009, 6:30 PM
so to clarify..if its 0-0 in Dublin and 0-0 after 90 in Paris and then both sides get 1 in extra time we go through without peno's? correct?

Crosby87
13/11/2009, 6:37 PM
so to clarify..if its 0-0 in Dublin and 0-0 after 90 in Paris and then both sides get 1 in extra time we go through without peno's? correct?

Wait, No the away goals thing only applies to 180 minutes of time.
Or, yes, we go through.
I dont know. I am confused.

eaststand85
13/11/2009, 6:44 PM

Wait, No the away goals thing only applies to 180 minutes of time.
Or, yes, we go through.
I dont know. I am confused.

In the scenario outlined by onenil we go through. The away goals rule applies throughout both legs of the tie, including any extra time which can obviously only take place in Paris.

FarBeag
13/11/2009, 6:49 PM
An a way goal wins us the match if its for example 0-0. It doesn’t matter when we get it once France don't then score two..

M@ttitude
13/11/2009, 6:54 PM

Kieran Westwood
Kevin Foley
Darron Gibson

Scram
14/11/2009, 10:44 AM

The only reason you brought it up was because you didn't know the answer! Otherwise, why not state it in the "other thread" :rolleyes: There's nothing wrong with not knowing something!

Anyway, there has been nothing posted here that absolutely confirms the position. Hopefully the away goals do count in extra time, though this does give a very unfair advantage to the away team, luckily in this case, it is us!

Alles les verts