PDA

View Full Version : IF It Goes to Penalties!!

Scram
13/11/2009, 9:10 AM
John Giles predicts it will go to penalties (but given that he didn’t know as of 8:30 this morning if the away goals rule applies, I don’t think he’s thought too deeply!)

Anyway, if it does go to penalties, who are your picks to take the penalties and who will Trap have picked (already, I hope!)

If, on the pitch, I’d go with:

Keane
Doyle
Dunne
Whelan
Hunt

Trap will go Keane, Doyle, Whelan, Andrews, McGeady/Hunt

I’d worry for McGeady Andrews and Doyler missing, don’t know why, just a feeling.

I don’t expect penalties because I’d say if it goes to extra time in France, there will be a winner, ps. it is my understanding that the away goals rule doesn’t apply in extra time?

antrimgreen
13/11/2009, 9:21 AM
I know why you are worried about McGeady hitting a pen cause his last 2 were really poor, 1 did just get in though!!

I am bricking it about the whole game :eek:

Come on You Boys in Green!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eaststand85
13/11/2009, 9:25 AM
I think if it gets to penalties the maximum number of substitutions will have been made so the final 11 could differ significantly from the starting 11. Here's my prediction for what it's worth:

Keane
Hunt
Whelan
Gibson
McGeady

HammerNThongs
13/11/2009, 9:48 AM
Hunt takes them fairly regularly at club level so he would be in. KD, going on form and past matches, will probably be subbed off after running himself into the ground so probably wont be on the pitch. Robbie definitely will and I can see Whelan given the responsibility too. The rest are a crap shoot....could be anyone.

I would like to see:

Keane
S Hunt
Doyle
Whelan
Lawrence

I reckon it would be

Keane
Whelan
Andrews
Best
Lawrence/McGeady/Hunt

whichever of the last 3 are on the pitch.

CF1989
13/11/2009, 9:57 AM
McShane
O'Shea
Kilbane
Folan
andy o'brien (will get a call up due to an injury to a defender)

DeLorean
13/11/2009, 9:58 AM
The fact that Given saves the odd one these days is probably the biggest boost. We're fairly well fixed in that department in fairness. Keane, Hunt, McGeady and Doyle have all been takers for their clubs at some point, Whelan and Gibson are good strikers of the ball. My biggest fear is that fellas would step up to show they have the balls and may not necessarily be the best men for the job eg. Kilbane, O'Shea, Andrews, St Ledger and even Dunne, who burried one for City against Aalborg.

twoenz
13/11/2009, 10:03 AM
I'd say that Saint Ledger would have the plums to stand up and be counted.

OwlsFan
13/11/2009, 10:10 AM
The fact that Given saves the odd one these days is probably the biggest boost.

I hope he does better than in Korea when he went the wrong way 5 out of 5 :(

On the basis that this is a home and away fixture with the away goals rule, the chances of it going to penalties is not that high. I get the shakes even thinking about it.

twoenz
13/11/2009, 10:11 AM
There is the chance that we keep 2 clean sheets in a row, and don't break the French down.

When was the last time we kept consecutive clean sheets?

HammerNThongs
13/11/2009, 10:27 AM
The fact that Given saves the odd one these days is probably the biggest boost. We're fairly well fixed in that department in fairness. Keane, Hunt, McGeady and Doyle have all been takers for their clubs at some point, Whelan and Gibson are good strikers of the ball. My biggest fear is that fellas would step up to show they have the balls and may not necessarily be the best men for the job eg. Kilbane, O'Shea, Andrews, St Ledger and even Dunne, who burried one for City against Aalborg.

To be fair, Lloris is no mug himself in goals for France and with penalties being such a lottery, I think the keepers pretty much even themselves out.

happydays97
13/11/2009, 10:28 AM
It wont go as far as penaltys :D

twoenz
13/11/2009, 10:42 AM
John Giles predicts it will go to penalties (but given that he didn’t know as of 8:30 this morning if the away goals rule applies, I don’t think he’s thought too deeply!)

I wonder what Gilesy is basing his prediction on. Given that this season he's watched a handfull of Champions League matches, the Premier League games from the Saturdays (as RTE don't do Sunday's games) and a few of our Internationals, although from the comments they made I doubt they were actually looking at the same games.

I'd say he's drawn the following conclusions:

Toulalon is pretty hard name to say.
He recognises the right back, but he can't remember where from.
France have poor temprement (the last time he watched them play they had a man sent off for headbutting)
That midfielder was at Portsmouth for a while but disappeared. Must have went to the Championship or something.

Dunphy will be sat beside him and take the time to declare that Trap not only ignores Andy Ried, he's also directly responsible for the banking crisis and couldn't understand why there was such a big fuss made about Stephen Gateley's funeral, as Ro's the talented one.

DeLorean
13/11/2009, 10:57 AM
To be fair, Lloris is no mug himself in goals for France and with penalties being such a lottery, I think the keepers pretty much even themselves out.

I agree, but it would have probably been advantage France if Given hadn't improved a bit.

HammerNThongs
13/11/2009, 11:07 AM
I agree, but it would have probably been advantage France if Given hadn't improved a bit.

Comparing the keepers is a waste of time anyway. It's the penalty takers is where it all matters and we saw how Frances last penalty shoot out went, didnt we!

shakermaker1982
13/11/2009, 11:17 AM
If it goes to penalties I'll be a wreck.

I know Kilbane would volunteer for one (again) but I'd have my doubts whether he could convert it. The same goes for McGeady.

Keane is the only 1 I'd have complete confidence in. Let's just hope we have the game in the bag by then.

rambler14
13/11/2009, 11:18 AM
Stupid thread. it all depends on who is on the pitch.

wexfordman
13/11/2009, 11:19 AM
Comparing the keepers is a waste of time anyway. It's the penalty takers is where it all matters and we saw how Frances last penalty shoot out went, didnt we!

Yeah they scored 4 out of 5 against the best keeper in the world, how confident would you be of ireland scoring 4 penalties.

Jicked
13/11/2009, 11:33 AM
In penalty shoot outs it nearly always goes the way of the bigger, better team. I can't stand this rubbish about not being able to practice them and them being a lottery.
How long does Pádraig Harrington spend tapping in putts from 2 feet away even though he could probably do it in his sleep, just to make sure nothing goes wrong on the day, it's all about getting in to a rhythm so everything feels completely natural to you on the day and so to minimise the pressure effect.
If every player knows exactly what they're planning to do and have been practicing drilling them in the same corner for 3 or 4 days you stand a much better chance than the old story of Suwon and just asking after 120 minutes who wants to take one and wishing them the best.

Jacky08
13/11/2009, 11:49 AM
The Podcast on the Guardian stated that Given was the best peno taker within the entire squad :eek:

Fixer82
13/11/2009, 12:32 PM
1. Keane
2. Hunt
3. Whelan
4. Duff
5. Doyle

Duggie
13/11/2009, 12:40 PM
as said it depends who would be left on the pitch at that stage. robbie and whelan would be my def 2. after that it all depends. reckon all goes out the window at penos, suppose depends who just keeps there head. it seems easy but must be a cat situation to be in.

Metrostars
13/11/2009, 12:48 PM
Ah jeez, the thought of penalties. I don't think my heart could take that.

Duggie
13/11/2009, 12:50 PM
Ah jeez, the thought of penalties. I don't think my heart could take that.

mine either, would be a great way to go through though.....:eek:

Scram
13/11/2009, 12:54 PM
Stupid thread. it all depends on who is on the pitch.

So why post, especially when you're obviously to thick to think that far in advance!!

Torn-Ado
13/11/2009, 12:54 PM
If it goes to penalties I'll be a wreck.

I know Kilbane would volunteer for one (again) but I'd have my doubts whether he could convert it. The same goes for McGeady.

Keane is the only 1 I'd have complete confidence in. Let's just hope we have the game in the bag by then.

Kilbane taking another penalty! Sweet suffering Jesus!

Duggie
13/11/2009, 12:57 PM
think my 5 would be in no order(if these were on the pitch)
never like to see defenders coming up. id be fairly confident of all these below.

keane
whelan
duff
lawerence/mcgeady/hunt
andrews

magnumpi
13/11/2009, 1:22 PM
duff didn't want to take one in 2002. don't know why he'd take one?

Keane
Best
McGeady
Given
Dunne

Duggie
13/11/2009, 1:34 PM
id say dunne would defo be a candidate for a miss.

niallsparky
13/11/2009, 2:11 PM
The Podcast on the Guardian stated that Given was the best peno taker within the entire squad :eek:

Murphy's better.

paul_oshea
13/11/2009, 2:38 PM
Lads this penalty talk has had an awful lot of replies and views, ye are all way too confident. We probably wont get near penalties.

Stop this talk this instant.

DeLorean
13/11/2009, 2:45 PM
I agree it probably won't go to penalties, I'm confident we'll go through though. It probably won't go according to our script, I could see us maybe conceding an away goal and everybody thinkin we're f*cked but by full time in Paris we'll be through, somehow.

Closed Account
13/11/2009, 2:54 PM
Well Dunne fancies one

A shootout will decide which of the sides go to next year's tournament if they are level after Wednesday's second match and Trapattoni has had his players practicing penalty kicks since they met up for training on Tuesday.
"I'd probably take one,'' Ireland defender Richard Dunne said. "Although I wouldn't be first up and I hit the post with my effort in our first practice session.
"You need to cover every eventuality. In Shay Given, we've got the best goalkeeper in the world and we've got enough experienced players not to let it worry us.''

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/soccer/wires/11/13/2080.ap.soc.ireland.france.0454/index.html#ixzz0WktfssRr

Duggie
13/11/2009, 3:01 PM
at least there practising. if i was the manager id do a peno session everyday if i had the players. doesnt do any harm to be prepared. seems trap thinks the same.

Colbert Report
13/11/2009, 7:39 PM
I'd give my left ball for it to go as far as penalties. At that point, we'd be 50/50 to qualify.

noddy102
13/11/2009, 7:43 PM
I'd give my left ball for it to go as far as penalties. At that point, we'd be 50/50 to qualify.

Are we not 50/50 to qualify at the moment?

Colbert Report
13/11/2009, 7:51 PM
Are we not 50/50 to qualify at the moment?

No, not at all. France are -300 to qualify, Ireland +271. That means that Ireland have about a 25% chance of beating France, according to the bookies, who rarely get it wrong.