PDA

View Full Version : Highlights and Lowlights of 2009

Pages : [1] 2

SkStu
12/11/2009, 9:11 PM
What were your personal "on the pitch" highlights and low points of the season just gone.

Highlight: Beating Sligo 3-1 and Aaron Greene's goal against Rover the same night which handed us the league. Just because it was Rovers that were our main challengers. Any other time i would have picked the draw in Salzburg.

Low Point: Salzburg at home - thinking about it still p!sses me off. :(

KianD
12/11/2009, 9:12 PM
Lowlights: They've just announced ANOTHER Prime Time on the LOI...

edit: thats not on the pitch though, oops.

sheao
12/11/2009, 9:19 PM
Highlight : Not been many for us sadly this season, but probably the game aginst Bray at home at the end of July. It was hours after we heard the club was not going to be heading out of business and the game and atmosphere in the cross afterwards was absolutly fantastic.

Lowlight : Loseing 3-2 to bray when we were 2-0 up with about 10 mins to go was a real sickener.

Acornvilla
12/11/2009, 9:20 PM
Lowlights:going thru as many goalkeepers and managers as league wins.The season in general.. The attendances.. Loosing to bray in the cup the way we did :(
Highlites: tom king and brian Mc Carthy and the first 15 minutes of the season :D

holidaysong
12/11/2009, 9:30 PM
Highlights:
Beating Drogheda 3-0 in Oriel.
Coming back from 2-0 down to draw 2-2 in Tallaght.
Michael McGowan's goal against Derry last Friday night.

Lowlights:
Not being able to beat Bohs.
The match against Sligo when we had three men sent off.
Losing to Shels in the league cup.

Rovers1
12/11/2009, 9:34 PM
Highlights:
Beating Derry in Brandywell X 2
Beating Bohs, Cork and Derry on the way to the final
Watching Danny Ventre and Rommy Boco

Lowlights:
Vllaznia home and away
Being beat by Shams 3 times :mad:
Derry 0-4
Richie Winter and Dave McKeon

Aaron
12/11/2009, 9:36 PM
Highlights:

Lowlights: Everything

:(:(

Acornvilla
12/11/2009, 9:39 PM
Highlights:

Lowlights: Everything

:(:(
hey what about beating the laTviANS!

Aaron
12/11/2009, 9:40 PM
hey what about beating the laviANS!

The whole season has been overshadowed by our money problems IMO. It was the start of the European games when our money problems started to surface

Ciaran W
12/11/2009, 9:45 PM
Highlight: full house of 6000 against bohs beating them in the last 10 mins,oh and byrne missing the penalty helped

lowlight: only taking 4 points from our last 3 home games when we had the lead at the top

superfrank
12/11/2009, 9:50 PM
High:
Undoubtedly, the 3-2 win over Cork, it was such a great feeling and at the time made me believe we might stay up.
Beating Pats in the last minute was great too, especially after they'd equalised a minute or two earlier.

Low:
Losing 2-1 to Drogs in the last minute when we'd equalised a minute earlier.
The Cup semi-final.

Dodge
12/11/2009, 10:00 PM
Highs;Beating the Russians and winning in malta

Lows; most of the rest

fionnsci
12/11/2009, 10:02 PM
Highs 1-0 win over Rovers on last day, O'Connor's goal against Steau in the RDS.

Lows The rest.

stickyjoe
12/11/2009, 10:03 PM
Highs: A decent championship race in both divisions.

Lows: The whole off-field farce. And the fact that a club can go as long as they want during the season without paying their players but its ok once an agreement is reached before licensing the next season.

GalwayRed
12/11/2009, 10:47 PM
Its been a very disappointing season really.
My personal high was the last minute winner in Jackman.
There have been a lot of lows. The 2 draws with Athlone were pretty awful.

WoodquayBoy
12/11/2009, 11:10 PM
Highlights: Beating Pats once, twice, thrice, nay, four times. Jeffrey, where are ya now pal?? Also topping the league for first four weeks of the season.
Lowlights: The remaining 32 weeks of the season! Losing twice to Sligo, losing in FAI Cup to Longford, and 4-0 tonking away to Drogs.

brendy_éire
12/11/2009, 11:17 PM
Highlights: Latvia. The flight back from Sofia. The bus trip from Enniskillen to Sligo to watch us win 4-0 on a Tuesday night. Winning the penalty shoot-out at half time in Turners Cross.

Lowlights: Can't think of any.

PartySaint
12/11/2009, 11:30 PM
Highs: Beating Sovetov, Lats game of the season, Beating Bohs

Lows: losing to Waterford in the cup was especially bad but the rest was pretty low

Hairy Bowsie
12/11/2009, 11:53 PM
Highlight of the season for me was the large portion of Chicken Curry chips i got in Finn Park for a ridiculously cheap price. I was quite drunk so i can't remember how much exactly but it may have been 50p in old money or something like that

Dunny
13/11/2009, 12:08 AM
Highlights: Staying up . McGowans goal V Derry, Unbeaten against Drogheda (this season), The comeback in Sligo

low-lights: 20 red cards.., Darren Mansaram, McGinlay and Seanie's friends(except Turner)

sligoman
13/11/2009, 12:41 AM
Lowlights: Losing twice to SligoShould that not be a highlight...given that you lost to us only twice this season?;)

SwanVsDalton
13/11/2009, 12:51 AM
Highlight - The hilarious contract farce of 09.

Lowlight - The sickening contract scandal of 09.

SkStu
13/11/2009, 1:09 AM
"on the pitch" highs and lows please everyone...

De Town
13/11/2009, 1:23 AM
Highs - Beating Shels 5-4

Lows - Everything else

Longfordian
13/11/2009, 1:37 AM
Further to De Town's post I'll stick in beating Gaillimh Aontaithe in the Cup as a high. Also finishing above Athlone for the 10th consecutive season is a bonus. The lows would have to be losing to Athlone twice in a week and losing to Mervue directly after. No offence intended to Mervue but once we appointed a decent manager we zoomed above them and Athlone needs no explanation.

Hulsey
13/11/2009, 1:40 AM
High:
Beating Bohs in Dalymount, Beating Shams in Tallaght, The superb comeback against Cork, Paul Byrnes winner against Pats. Gary McCabes goal in United park

Lows:
The cup semi final, losing to Drogheda 4 times (3 at home), the team bottling it in virtually every important game, losing so many late goals that cost us points. Stephen Brennan

Magicme
13/11/2009, 1:42 AM
the first 15 minutes of the season :D

That was among the worst moments of my life. Up there with relatives dying. Was soooo upset. Then we turned it around!

Highlights: Aaron McCarey signing for Wolves, beating Limerick in front of one of our biggest crowds, pushing St Pats to the wire in the cup.

Lowlights: Pats beating us at the death, losing 6-0 to waterford and half our team throwing up on journey home due to bug that nearly ruined our season, losing Aaron to Wolves.

Sam_Heggy
13/11/2009, 8:18 AM
Highlights:
Beating Athlone 6-0 away
Beating Ipswich 2-1 at home (Keane's face :D)
Unearthing some promising young players in the county.
Work on the new ground re-commencing

Lowlights:
Horrible league position
Ian Rossiter
Most other games.

Hitman
13/11/2009, 8:45 AM
Highlights: Hoggy's testimonial, programme notes from Brian Lennox, Rico in the dugout, and Patsy Freyne and Colin Healy in the same midfield.
Winning in Tallaght by actually playing football.
Beating Galway 4-2 in a decent game, again playing football.

Lowlights: Timewasting by holding the ball in the corner.
With ten minutes left.
At home.
Against Bray.
Who were down to 9 men. Which was fairly representative of Doonil's approach to things.

brianw82
13/11/2009, 9:01 AM
Highlights -

Raf Cretaro
The Cup run, and all the big scalps claimed therein. Full house at home to Waterford, superb!
European football
The impact of the summer signings in general

Lowlights -

The messing around with the budget/Cook's "departure" at the start of the season
Constant injuries/suspensions in the 1st half of the season
The first 2/3s of the season in general
Sickening home defeats to Vllaznia, Dundalk (3-4) and Shams (1-2)
Notable lack of commitment from some players

osarusan
13/11/2009, 9:05 AM
Highs : The first half at home to UCD, where we were as good as we've been all season.
Beating Waterford 2-1 in Jackman.
Beating Athlone 6-1.
(Steven O'Flynn's last minute equalizer in Tolka would be a highlight if I had been
there)

Lows : Losing 4-1 at home to Longford in one of the worst performances I've ever seen.
Last minute loss at home to Shels hurt.

JC_GUFC
13/11/2009, 9:20 AM
Highlights:

Beating Pat's, then beating them again... and again... Kenna resigning before the 4th game and still beating them again! :D

Aaron Greene's goal in our draw with Rovers.

Playing some of the best football in the history of the club (it didn't help our goals against tally!)

Jay O'Shea coming off the bench in Old Trafford about 2 weeks after scoring with virtually his last touch for the club in the Carlisle Grounds.

Lowlights:

Last day of the season when we didn't beat Cork but everyone knew we didn't have to because Derry were going down anyway.

Losing to Longford in the cup.

Infadel
13/11/2009, 9:20 AM
Highlight: Beating Drogheda, Comeback against Sligo and Shamrock Rovers

Lowpoint: Dave Rogers making an arse out of himself and the club, Sean Connors program notes, Red Cards, Mansaram

Roo69
13/11/2009, 9:34 AM
Highlight - Beating Cork 3-2 at home after being 2 down with 10 minutes left. I'd also have to mention beating Bohs in Dalymount and Rovers in Tallaght.

Lowlight - Were do i start? The Cup semi final, the play off game against Drogheda, the list is actually endless this season.

redobit
13/11/2009, 9:37 AM
Highs:
Danny Ventre walloping the ball over the stand in the dying minutes of the second game in the brandywell.
All the cup games so far.
Not wining in the Brandwell for 12 years and then doing it twice in one season.

Lows:
Knocked out of Europa by a useless shower of Albanians.
Losing 4-3 to Dundalk.
20 seconds from League Cup Semi win against Bohs.
4-0 to Derry.
Oh ya, and the burgers in Oriel - me stomachs not the better for it yet.

HammerNThongs
13/11/2009, 9:54 AM
Highlights Kevin Long just getting better and better every game he played. Even those games where he scored OGs, he seemed to grow and become gigantic afterwards.

Lowlights Going out of the Cup so early, even if it was almost single handedly against the player of the season in Cretaro, and the awful Bray game!

ndrog
13/11/2009, 11:26 AM
LOWLIGHTS : Bohs last min winner in dalymount :mad:

HIGHLIGHT : Survival against all odds , beating bray 2 0 last tues :D

marinobohs
13/11/2009, 11:38 AM
"on the pitch" highs and lows please everyone...

HIGHS - winning back to back titles, winning the derry, whoops sorry EA Sports/League Cup. salzburg away (murph pen save - class).

LOWS - robbed twice in tallaght (at least there was no syringe involved :D) bloody salzburg home (sickner !!!!) "ref" display at home to Bray - surreal.

pineapple stu
13/11/2009, 11:38 AM
Highlights -
Beating Limerick 2-1 on the opening day and realising we'd be competitive
Hammering Shels in Tolka in April
Davey Mc's equaliser in Tolka in October when down to ten men
5-4 to Longford :)
Winning the league

Lowlights -
League Cup semi final defeat
Two losses against a Fingal side who didn't want to be on the pitch
Crowds still low
Missing the trip to Tallaght, so I've still one ground on my "to visit" list

Overall, quite happy with the season though. :)

Sunny Jim
13/11/2009, 11:43 AM
Highlights:

Beating all of the top four away

Lowlights:
Not scoring enough goals
Watching the worst game I've ever seen (0-0 in Monaghan)
Kildare going out of business; who'll be next?

shep
13/11/2009, 1:37 PM
HIGHLIGHTS: The Louth derbies...atmospheres were brilliant in all of them
The 2 away wins at Sligo
Winning our 1st game back in Brandywell for donkeys years

LOWLIGHTS: Dave rogers
George O Callaghan being a flop
Not beating Pats
The constant indicipline & resulting bad press

Martinho II
13/11/2009, 5:06 PM
HIGHLIGHTS

5-4 against shels and finally breaking our jinx there!
the 5-2 win in Athlone!
4-1 win in Limerick!
Knocking out Galway Utd in the cup
Gareth cronin coming to us
Finishing ahead of Athlone Again !
Low!
Alan Gough calling for my head!
Losing a 3-0 lead against Monaghan and drawing 3-3!
Not getting past Bray in the cup!
losing six league games on the bounce!
poor crowds in flancare this season!
Being beat by Athlone twice in the one week!
Being hammered by Monaghan 5-1 at home!

De Town
13/11/2009, 5:27 PM
Being hammered by Monaghan 5-1 at home!

When did this happen? :confused:

EDIT: Lost 4-1 at home to them, honestly didn't remember that! :o

KevB76
13/11/2009, 5:37 PM
Low lights :
1. The two week period in summer when it looked like almost definite that the club would be finished when Jack McCarthy decided to wind it up.
2. Finishing 9 points behind Wexford
3. Being beaten 2-0 in Ferrycarrig
4. Losing 4-1 to Longford
5. Twice giving up a two goal lead to draw 3-3 with Monaghan at home
6. Losing 3-2 to Kildare County at home
7. Paul Cummins' ankle-breaker in Athlone
8. Monaghan away being moved to Thursday - couldnt get away from work, hence I was one short of making the full set this season :(
9. Being reminded here of Shels last minute winner at Jackman Park (I'd erased it from memory)
10. Very poor home attendances

Highlights :
1. Pat O'Sullivan saving the club from extinction :)
2. Signing Pat Scully
3. Scully re-signing for the next two years
4. Beating Waterford 2-1 at home
5. Beating Athlone 6-1 at home
6. Steve-O's last minute equaliser at Tolka
7. Martin Deady's sweet free-kick to equalise away to Sporting Fingal
8. Steve-O's eye for goal
9. Beating Wexford 2-0 home and away
10. This years U20's

Schumi
13/11/2009, 6:20 PM
Highlights:
The night in Athlone,
Fighting back to draw away to Shels with 10 men,
Dave McMillan's goal at home to Longford,
Unexpectedly winning the first two games.

Lowlights:
Poor performances at home to Shels and Fingal,
Being outclassed in Tallaght,
The League Cup game against Waterford.

Blue Bear
13/11/2009, 8:33 PM
Highs : Finishing in the top half.
Nearly putting Pats out of the cup
Having the flashiest away kit of the season.

Lows Terrible turnout for home games.
Not challenging for promotion at the end of the season.
The first 15 minutes of the season.
That **** of a ref who called off the Wexford game.

kdjaC
13/11/2009, 9:04 PM
Highlight: beating Sovetov at home.
Lowlight: being **** in the league but the absolute worst was beating Sovetov away (dont get the pats fans loving that one) it was ****ing horrible easily the worst 30 minutes of my life sitting in work actually shaking when we went 3-2 down and then UEFA changed it to 3-1 and all this was via UEFA updates. When the torment finally ended i ran into the warehouse and pretty much sang and danced then went to MCD for a cracking night. Easily the most horrible way ever to watch an entire nations greatest ever defeat/victory. No fan should have to endure that ever!

PartySaint
13/11/2009, 9:14 PM
Highlight: beating Sovetov at home.
Lowlight: being **** in the league but the absolute worst was beating Sovetov away (dont get the pats fans loving that one) it was ****ing horrible easily the worst 30 minutes of my life sitting in work actually shaking when we went 3-2 down and then UEFA changed it to 3-1 and all this was via UEFA updates. When the torment finally ended i ran into the warehouse and pretty much sang and danced then went to MCD for a cracking night. Easily the most horrible way ever to watch an entire nations greatest ever defeat/victory. No fan should have to endure that ever!

Ah but it was worth it

galwayjames
13/11/2009, 9:18 PM
Highs:
Great start
The skill of Jay O'Shea
Some of the goals scored this season were top class, e.g. O'shea v Bray and Kelly v Pats.
Beating Kenna's Pats every time we played them, the highlight beating winning 3-0 at Richmond Park on the opening night.

Lows:
Falling into a play-off place on the last day of the season
Losing Jeff Kenna (Turned out brilliant in the end :D)
Being knocked out by Longford in the FAI Cup at home. I think we could've won it this year otherwise.

Riddickcule
13/11/2009, 9:39 PM
Highs

Shock win v Bohs, Rovers in Tallaght, Bohs giving it up to Salsburg, Madrid coming to Ireland (albeit it was coz of platinum one)
Bright young players coming through at Bray

Lows
Obv. financial woes, The ****e crowds at the Carlise this season, Bohs winning the league, Barstoolers (every year tbh)