PDA

View Full Version : Oscar Traynor Cup 2009/10

mullerj52
12/11/2009, 11:32 AM
The Oscar Traynor Cup is now entering an interesting stage - The final round of group matches.
Any predictions on how it is going to go?
There have been a couple of interesting results in the past few weeks.

liamo
12/11/2009, 4:44 PM
a.u.l. and waterford drew the weekend,wicklow for both in last game.

Fair Play
12/11/2009, 9:16 PM
The Oscar Traynor Cup is now entering an interesting stage - The final round of group matches.
Any predictions on how it is going to go?
There have been a couple of interesting results in the past few weeks.
Mayo beat Inishowen by 5 goals to 3 on Sunday last. I think Mayo are now due to play Galway in Terryland next month to decide who goes through. Galway have already beaten Inishowen 2-1. Full match report on Mayo website http://inform.fai.ie/League/Clubs/portals/MAFL/

renovater
23/11/2009, 9:36 PM
Mayo beat Inishowen by 5 goals to 3 on Sunday last. I think Mayo are now due to play Galway in Terryland next month to decide who goes through. Galway have already beaten Inishowen 2-1. Full match report on Mayo website http://inform.fai.ie/League/Clubs/portals/MAFL/

This will be the real test for Brendan Kenny and his players, we generally fair out badly,there will be no change in Galway only hard to beat.
May be its Mayo turn this time round, mined you will get no change from Galway refs.

mullerj52
24/11/2009, 3:20 PM
Roscommon have a big one (if the game ever goes ahead in this weather). Beat Sligo by 1-0, Donegal go through. 1-1, Sligo go through, 2-1, play off, 3-1 or 2-0, Roscommon go through. Don't even think about 3-2 or 4-3. If Ros win by two they go through. Mayo have a toughie against Galway. Should be good enough though. Who is captain of Mayo this year?

chimpster
06/12/2009, 8:44 AM
Clare scored a winner in injury time against the Cork Business League yesterday to go through to the quarters...

Limerick Desmond League 1-1 Clare League
Cork Business League 2-0 Limerick Desmond League
Clare League 3-2 Cork Business League
Clare advance to quarter-finals

west awake
07/12/2009, 1:17 AM
This will be the real test for Brendan Kenny and his players, we generally fair out badly,there will be no change in Galway only hard to beat.
May be its Mayo turn this time round, mined you will get no change from Galway refs.mayo should beat galway,the galway team have only trained once since the inishowen game,big trouble the manager resigned well over a month ago and the players haven't had a get together since,new management appointed last week i believe they have a friendly organised for wed night in terryland,i think a few players have pulled plug as well.its just typical of the galway fa really things never run smoothly down here hence galway haven't won an oscar traynor since 1971.

renovater
26/12/2009, 5:56 PM
mayo should beat galway,the galway team have only trained once since the inishowen game,big trouble the manager resigned well over a month ago and the players haven't had a get together since,new management appointed last week i believe they have a friendly organised for wed night in terryland,i think a few players have pulled plug as well.its just typical of the galway fa really things never run smoothly down here hence galway haven't won an oscar traynor since 1971.
Time will tell, Managers come and go, but you can never write Galway off.

mullerj52
30/12/2009, 1:28 PM
Any word on a date for the re-fixture?

Spot Kick
01/01/2010, 3:21 PM
Any word on a date for the re-fixture?

According to email from J.D., the game is now fixed for Sunday 17th January in Milebush. Connacht cup games go ahead on same day if the teams do not have a player involved with the Oscar Traynor team. They should have this on the website by right, and all people would then know when the games are on.

mullerj52
06/01/2010, 2:57 PM
Question to my Mayo Friends, How good are the side this year? I have previous knowledge of Oscar Traynor sides over the years and there have been some excellent ones, like the side who got to the semi-final down in Kilkenny.

Fair Play
06/01/2010, 8:43 PM
Question to my Mayo Friends, How good are the side this year? I have previous knowledge of Oscar Traynor sides over the years and there have been some excellent ones, like the side who got to the semi-final down in Kilkenny.
It does not look a bad side with Mick Duffy back. He has been scoring a lot for Ballina in his last few games. They are missing the likes of Andy Neary from Castlebar and it also seems as if Martin Geraghty has retired. There is no players from Castlebar Celtic on the squad because of being in the A League. The bench appears to have a lot of new players with little experience of this level, but you never know what might happen.

Spot Kick
06/01/2010, 8:52 PM
There is a story on the Mayo league website regarding the game that was supposed to go ahead against Galway league a couple of weeks ago, and it might give you an idea about the current players. The side are without all the Celtic players because they are now in the "A" league. I would not say they are as strong as last year but Brendan Kenny appears to have them well organised. They did well against Inishowen but let in late goals the last day. The story is on http://inform.fai.ie/League/Clubs/portals/mafl/

Bestie
07/01/2010, 12:53 PM
There is a story on the Mayo league website regarding the game that was supposed to go ahead against Galway league a couple of weeks ago, and it might give you an idea about the current players. The side are without all the Celtic players because they are now in the "A" league. I would not say they are as strong as last year but Brendan Kenny appears to have them well organised. They did well against Inishowen but let in late goals the last day. The story is on http://inform.fai.ie/League/Clubs/portals/mafl/
I think that a team does well in the Oscar Traynor if it is properly organised with a good manager. They do not have to be the best players around but if they possess the right attitude in this competition, they can go far. One of the strongest Junior Soccer Leagus in the country is Limerick, and they should be knocking on the door each year, but they are not because of local rivalry and rows. Most other leagues do not seem to care about the competition and this transfers to the players.

mullerj52
13/01/2010, 3:05 PM
Cork were seriously organised last year but still were lucky to beat Roscommon in the semi-final. Roscommon have a big job on their hands to beat Sligo/Leitrim on the 31st in Ballinalsoe. Mayo v Galway is on Sunday I believe. That right?

Bestie
14/01/2010, 8:09 AM
Cork were seriously organised last year but still were lucky to beat Roscommon in the semi-final. Roscommon have a big job on their hands to beat Sligo/Leitrim on the 31st in Ballinalsoe. Mayo v Galway is on Sunday I believe. That right?
According to the Connaught Telegraph this week it looks like Milebush Park may be in trouble for the weekend. The ground is very hard. They are due to have another pitch on standby and it may be in Manulla.

mullerj52
14/01/2010, 2:21 PM
Roscommon have a friendly next Tuesday in Ballinasloe, the extra week might stand to them. Sligo/Leitrim will be very tough and with Cork out, it proves that nothing is set in stone in this competition.

Innishvilla
14/01/2010, 3:24 PM
Roscommon have a friendly next Tuesday in Ballinasloe, the extra week might stand to them. Sligo/Leitrim will be very tough and with Cork out, it proves that nothing is set in stone in this competition.

Are Cork AUL out? I think they have qualified from their group having beaten Limerick 2:0 @ home a while back

littleman
14/01/2010, 4:36 PM
The holders of the Oscar Traynor,the Cork Aul qualified for the quaters by beating Limerick Aul 2 nil in Cork.

The Cork Buisness league and the Cork MSL Junior team are out.

KBurke
18/01/2010, 11:50 AM
Galway beat Mayo 4-3 with a 90th minute winner

mullerj52
18/01/2010, 4:37 PM
My Mistake, Heard that Cork had gone out. That makes things interesting.
Roscommon v Sligo now changed to February 7th in Ballinasloe. This game will never get played!
PS - Hard luck to Mayo, Well done Galway, heard that there was a bit of controversy!

dego86
28/01/2010, 1:50 PM
so wats the draw then for this,its the quater finals now isnt it?

Innishvilla
28/01/2010, 2:23 PM
so wats the draw then for this,its the quater finals now isnt it?

1) Defence Forces v Galway
2) Wexford v Dublin AUL
3) Roscommon/Sligo/Donegal v Clare
4) TSDL v Cork AUL

Ties to be played on or before the 5th/6th of March 2010.

Semi-Final Draw
1 v 2
4 v 3

dego86
04/02/2010, 3:17 PM
ok thanks.who would be favourites for this then?

Innishvilla
04/02/2010, 3:28 PM
ok thanks.who would be favourites for this then?

Well I know Cork AUL are reigning champs but looking back over the years You'd almost always have to install Dublin AUL as favourites...

mullerj52
05/02/2010, 11:20 AM
You know, Id almost have a punt on Clare. They are a good side with serious quality. Roscommon are good but have to get past Sligo. Dublin will always be the side to watch. Should be interesting on sunday when Ros play sligo/leitrim.

mullerj52
11/02/2010, 2:40 PM
Sligo/Leitrim 2 Roscommon 1 best team won.

dego86
17/02/2010, 1:20 PM
i think wexford have a good chance of beating dublin in new ross.i do know they will be missing a few players alright but still could see them sneak it

mullerj52
18/02/2010, 11:10 AM
Who would be favourites?

dego86
19/02/2010, 1:28 AM
think aul either beat them 1-0 earlier in the tournament or it was 1-1 draw.not to sure but id say it would be pretty even.mikey grangel missed a peno for wexford that day aswell.but id think aul might be just ahead since wex have 2-3 startin 11 out.will be a good match though and ill be watchin

dego86
08/03/2010, 8:02 AM
as i thought wexford did win by 1-0.good game to watch at times,both defences were outstanding throughout