PDA

View Full Version : Looking for people to share Italia '90 memories.

FatGav
11/11/2009, 10:20 PM
Do you have any memories of Italia ’90?

My name is Gavin and I’m currently making a one-hour radio documentary about Ireland’s trip through the 1990 World Cup. With the twentieth anniversary of the tournament around the corner, I feel it’s time to take a look back on one of the greatest moments in Irish sport. Now we all know about the games, the shootout etc. but I want to document the fans’ experiences of the tournament.

• Did you go to any of the games in Italy? If so, did you mortgage your house/car/mother to get there?!

• If you stayed at home, what was the atmosphere like? Did you paint your house green, white and gold or get a Jack Charlton tattoo?!

• What lengths did you go to see the games and what are your lasting memories of Italia ’90? Did it have any long-term effect on Ireland as a country?

I’m 24 years old, so I don’t remember much about it, but I am eager to learn. If you have any stories that you’d like to share, I can be reached at gavingrace@hotmail.com

FatGav
11/11/2009, 11:09 PM
Just to add that if you want to get in touch you can also send me a PM on this site.

Junior
12/11/2009, 7:52 AM
Get in touch with the ROISSC's in Dublin and London. Im sure they would be able to help.

Scram
12/11/2009, 8:16 AM
Single male 32, sporty type, GSOH, WLTM similar to share memories of football games, possibly more...contact www.foot.ie

paul_oshea
12/11/2009, 10:04 AM
Scram, I didnt realise you were only 32 and that you spend your time scouring the "personals" ;)

I was a bit young so i cant really add much, but remember going around dublin for a half an hour or more trying to find somewhere that wasn't too packed and would let us in to watch romania, id say actually it was more like an hour, but hten again I was a child so who knows.

I was 8 years old, and I couldn't see a thing my brother was 13/14 and couldn't really hold me up as he wouldn't be able see a thing. I wasn't able see much to be honest, i think it was the burlington we went into in the end but i cant really remember, my father had to park the car and we didnt find him till the end. Anyway this man saw i couldn't see anything. HE got me up on his shoulders and I was blocking his view somewhat because he wanted to make sure I could see. Ill never forget that, and ill never forget thinking this stranger is holding me up so I can get to see the game as oppossed to him!!!! IT definitely set me on my way for my love of soccer and my country. The only other bit i remember is it being eerily quiet in a pub full of 100s of people when oleary went to take that penalty. And then all I can remember is pulling this mans curly hair to stay on as he was going flying up and down all over the place and i was holding on for dear life!!!! I'd love to meet him today and buy him a pint.

The other thing i remember from that day, was my sister was about 16/17 and so was my cousin. My father normally hates jams and slowness when leaving the big smoke, but it didnt matter that day as it was all about the atmosphere, it took us ages and ages to get out of dublin because everyone was just circling and random lads were stopping all the cars to kiss the women in the cars, I can remember the lads asking my father cuold they kiss the two girls. Hillarious stuff they were awful embarassed and he just says to them fire away!!! :D

drummerboy
12/11/2009, 10:33 AM
I was a grown man then, and went behind the sofa for the penalties against Romania.

Watched the quarter final v Italy in the pub. Even though we lost, the entire pub had a huge sick song, people standing on tables singing their heads off. Wonderful memories.

Murfinator
12/11/2009, 10:37 AM
I was 3 at the time but apparently while going to the doctor I was asked jokingly what team I'd be supporting at the World Cup. After which I replied without thought "Germany". :rolleyes:

I figure I was too young to get the concepts of countries and Klinsmann was the only player I knew of from a snes video game so it made sense. Parents thought it was very funny though, will never let me hear the end of it. :o

shakermaker1982
12/11/2009, 11:07 AM
Paul O'Shea is the same age as me?!!!

I remember being cracked on subbuteo that summer as well. World Cup 90 got me addicted to football! Penalty shoot out against Romania, Roger Milla, Scotland losing to Costa Rica, Lothar Mattheus, Rudi Voller and Rijkaard spitting at each other........those were the days. I just wish I was a little older so I could have gone to see the games. Then again I was in my final year at Uni during WC2002 and couldn't go because of exams and the expense involved. It's a conspiracy.

the 12 th man
12/11/2009, 12:07 PM
A guy who worked with my wifes sister pulled a sickie and went over to the competition with his mates,he had a great time until he got back to see his face in a photo in close up on the front on the Indo bawling his eyes out after we were knocked out.

He got the bullet.

OwlsFan
12/11/2009, 12:20 PM
Was at the 1st three games. Intended to fly back for the Romanian game only to be told my dad had been diagnosed with cancer while I was away and had a month to live. Sat watching the two games with him but the buzz had obviously gone.

Having spent a life time waiting to qualify for a World Cup, Italia 90 has therefore mixed emotions for me. He died on July 24.

Euro 88 for me was THE tournament. First time. Victory over England. "Oh Ronnie Whelan". Minutes away from the semi-final.

We feicimid a leitheid aris.

Would be great if Jack was brought over for the French game.

FatGav
16/11/2009, 7:57 PM
Genuine thanks guys for all these stories, and for the emails and the private messages. I've been slow responding cos of the flu so sorry about that :) but I will be in touch, hopefully tomorrow. I'd love some of you guys who've replied here to send me your contact details. The documentary is scheduled to air on community stations around Ireland next year and I want to do justice to the good, the bad, the happy and sad stories that fans have to share about a tournament I wish I was old enough to remember! Thanks again for everything and if you're willing to share... please do!

Acornvilla
16/11/2009, 9:19 PM
i was born during the romania match :D sorry i cant remember much of the tournament:o

mafitz
17/11/2009, 9:23 AM
Hi I was living in the US at the time and planed to travel over with my 2 brothers my dad and a good friend, after we were drawn against England and exiled to the Islands my brothers decided not to go.
I watched the England game in NY and couldn't watch the last ten min, knowing that if we didn't get a point it would be a wasted journey to Sicily. Well we got the point and I arrived home to join my dad and my mate for the trip. We left for Italy on the Sunday of the Egypt game, I remember the weather in Ireland was super and the airport was jammed with people going out to Sicily. We arrived and I got a glimpse of what the week would bring, we arrived in Sicily and the first Irish fan off the bus that brought us from the plane to the arrivals lounge, draped the Italian police man complete with machine gun with a green scarf. Then while getting our bags we encountered the smallest converbelt I have ever seen. Remember the game was only a few hours away by the time we would get our bags it would be half time at this rate, couple of lads jumped in the gap behind the belt and started helping out. Grabbing bags looking at the tags....Murphy over here and throw the bags out to Murphy, man the cover belt was cleared of bags in a couple of minutes.
Loads of stories, Cork lad applying winter green when asked to put on some lotion (suntan), queue the helicopter to hospital.
Drinking the Italian bar dry, next day helping restock the bar.
The resort being very wary of us at first, then supplying a tricolor cake laced with alcohol to beat the booze ban.

I have a million stories, it was fantastic, Ireland at the World Cup for the first time.

Met lads from Beaver Electrical, love to talk to them again, relive the memories.