PDA

View Full Version : Raymond Domenech

weldoninhio
11/11/2009, 11:32 AM
http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_5687630,00.html

Maybe he should have asked captain Keane if he had any advise on commenting on the opposition before a big game??

Leeside Swagger
11/11/2009, 12:48 PM
I dont think its going to matter, none of the French players have respect for him either.

Murfinator
11/11/2009, 12:51 PM
It lessens the pressure on the french players, they know if they don't qualify Domenech and not them will be blamed. They're professionals so I doubt performance pressure would bother them in the first so if anything comments like this might take the edge off their game if it's further emphasised that failure wouldn't be their fault.

Uncle_Joe
11/11/2009, 5:30 PM
What are people opinions of the guy? Does anyone see past the horoscope caricature painted by the press?

The guy did manage France to the World Cup final, where they only lost on penalties. I know people will say that it was the players who took them there despite Domenech but I dont buy that. As the manager he would have had some impact and I dont think managing the personnalities on the French team would have been the simplest of jobs. It is possible he actually did a good job.

However I do believe that he is our best chance of qualifying. If Domenech sends France out to get a draw in the first game, it could play right into traps style of play. 0-0 in Dublin followed by a score draw in Paris. France's easiest way to win would be for domenech to send France out to score as many as they can in Dublin and finish us off before Paris, but I dont think he will do that.

bennocelt
11/11/2009, 6:06 PM
Do you watch international football, or does Wikipedia facts and figures fill your boat.

:rolleyes:

Emmet7
11/11/2009, 6:21 PM
Do you watch international football, or does Wikipedia facts and figures fill your boat.

:rolleyes:

Great response...not!

Joe, he is an insider in the French Federation, as Lawro pointed out and probably wouldn't have got the job or retained it otherwise.

The French have underachieved in this campaign given their resources.

As for the World Cup 2006, I think Zidane had a massive influence on that campaign among other players.

France before Zidane were poor for a number of years, since he left have been poor, when he was injured in 2002 were poor and were poor while he was in retirement for a few years. I don't think France will be a major force in international soccer for a while to come, and without Riberary are a lesser team.

I don't see what Domenech done to merit the French job, has he even managed at Champions League level?

Uncle_Joe
11/11/2009, 6:26 PM
Do you have a point to make or was that some sort of put down?

Reading through the threads on the game, every time Domenechs name pops up it usually comes with some sort of negative remark. im not saying the guy doent have his obvious flaws, the point I was trying to make was is the guy totally inept or does he pose some danger.

LeBleu
11/11/2009, 6:38 PM
As for the World Cup 2006, I think Zidane had a massive influence on that campaign among other players.

Don't forget Thuram and Makélélé.

In 2006 players took the power.

I don't see what Domenech done to merit the French job, has he even managed at Champions League level?

Never, never and never.
His bests results : Toulon tournament winner with U21 and 2nd division champion with Lyon (it's like first division in england)

superfrank
11/11/2009, 6:41 PM
I remember in Euro 2008, in the final group game against Italy, when France HAD to win to get through to the knockouts, the French had a player sent off at 0-0 and Domenech's plan to win the game was take off Nasri, arguably their best attacking threat, and replace him with a defender.

To me, that just strikes me as clueless.

Another thing that annoyed me about him was his treatment of Makelele. Makelele wanted to retire from international football but Domenech continued to select him and Makelele was threatened with a ban by FIFA if he didn't play. It was a total lack of respect for the player by him, imo.

I haven't been impressed by the French since Domenech took over. Everybody seems to agree that Zidane carried the French to the '06 final. In the group stage of that tournament, they were very poor and at the Euro's, they were atrocious.

Doire Abu
11/11/2009, 8:00 PM
Did you see the photo of the French players smirking as he was booed at a tennis game. No respect from the players never mind the fans.

bennocelt
11/11/2009, 8:45 PM
Great response...not!

?

True, but I am in that humour!:), and I cant be doing with people who dont actually watch football:mad:

if you want to see how badly france was managed I would suggest you download the Euros game when they played Romania

Remember france wear blue ;)

Emmet7
11/11/2009, 8:59 PM
True, but I am in that humour!:), and I cant be doing with people who dont actually watch football:mad:

if you want to see how badly france was managed I would suggest you download the Euros game when they played Romania

Remember france wear blue ;)

I'm sorely tempted to put you on ignore as equally I can't be doing with people who say things like your last sentence.

Everyone should be entitled to express an opinion on here without having to put up with personal insults.

I'll let you away this time.

Supreme feet
11/11/2009, 9:16 PM
I think the most damning indictment of Domenech is, as has been mentioned, their performance at the last Euros. 0-0 with Romania, a 4-1 defeat to Holland, and bottom of their group despite being one of the pre-tournament favourites. It's been said that France, with so many good players, could still gel and turn in a powerful performance despite their manager; but if they couldn't show enough pride to do it in a major tournament, can they expect to just show up and turn it on for a playoff, as many think they can? Most of France's players, playing for top clubs, have other things on their minds too. If they're eliminated from the World Cup, they'll still have Champions League commitments and title challenges to think about. For most of our players, this week is career-defining. Trap won't need to do anything to motivate the lads, whereas for managers of the big nations, this element is the biggest challenge. Case in point, England under Keegan/McClaren.

Also, since Euro 2008, Thuram, Makelele and Sagnol have retired, Ribery has been injured, and Vieira lost favour with the coach. None of the above have been adequately replaced, and neither a settled formation nor starting XI has been established, despite France having an abundance of talented young players around Europe. With a canny, intelligent manager, France could be an outstanding team, and more than capable of steamrollering us and going on to win the World Cup. But that's not the case, and if I was a French supporter, I'd be worried.

elroy
11/11/2009, 10:08 PM
The two main differences in the calibre of both sides since the last time we met is the absence now of Keane and Zidane. Both teams are now arguably worse in quality than they were the last time they met.

Who is the bigger loss? Hard to say. I think we are a more organised disciplined purposeful outfit. And on a team on the up, some may argue France are on the team on the up too, their recent performances have shown improvement.

If France beat us I think it will be as a result of moments of high quality from one of their top players i.e. Henry, Anelka, Benzema etc.

If that moment of magic is not realised, I think we are slight favourites. Its a big if but.............

Colbert Report
11/11/2009, 11:33 PM
I don't know what Richard Dunne is trying to accomplish here. It makes me wonder if he has his head screwed on properly.

seanfhear
12/11/2009, 7:55 AM
I don't know what Richard Dunne is trying to accomplish here. It makes me wonder if he has his head screwed on properly.
I would say that to be a head the ball centre back it would be very helpful to have your head screwed on properly.

magnumpi
12/11/2009, 8:25 AM
this sh1te is indicative of all the talk thats going on at the moment, at too much of it from everyone.

o'shea, dunne, tardelli, all spouting absolute drivel. lets keep our mouths shut, and give it some chat once the job is done. otherwise just setting ourselves up for a spectacular fall.

yeah domenech's a joke. a joke who lead his country to a world cup final.

beggars belief how stupid our players are sometimes.

newrynyuk
12/11/2009, 8:51 AM
You have the nucleus of a very good French side just from players who've fallen out with Raymond Domenech; Coupet, Mexes, Guily, Viera, Pires, Trezeguet, Cisse

No way will he remain in charge after France lose to Ireland.

as_i_say
12/11/2009, 8:55 AM
Ah come on, they are footballers. 90% of them are as thick as planks.

Closed Account
12/11/2009, 9:29 AM
Speaking of ridicule, Irish Soccer Insider (http://irishsoccerinsider.wordpress.com/) had a funny post yesterday detailing a breakdown in communication between the French Government and the Irish over the upcoming World Cup qualifying play-off.
I really hope its true.........http://irishsoccerinsider.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/letters7.jpg?w=696&h=7667

Uncle_Joe
12/11/2009, 11:47 AM
I cant be doing with people who dont actually watch football:mad:Then why bother reply, if that was your opinion of my post?.. apart from the sense of smug self-satisfaction that you seem to have got.

Anybody looking at ourselves during Kerrs reign could draw some negative conclusions about him, lost the dressing room, poor results, made bad decisions etc, but I though and still do that Kerr is a good manger.

Just trying to base my opinion on more than the world cup, euro final games, that everyone sees, and press clippings. You know bennocelt, an informed opinion. But I apologies for upsetting you and no doubt distracting you from watching your recordings of french qualifiers over the last 4 years.

Ive got homework to do. wearing blue you say?