PDA

View Full Version : MK Dublin ?

culloty82
11/11/2009, 4:57 PM
Anyone else hear the 2fm sports headlines last night saying the Bolton chairman's EPL2 idea planned to include Celtic, Rangers and an Irish franchise?

Shades of Dublin Dons methinks if it was true and you could imagine the havoc in the domestic game:mad:.

SkStu
11/11/2009, 5:18 PM
Gartside is a pox and thats common knowledge.

Irish franchise me arse - the FAI, for all their faults, will not let that happen despite the barstoolers getting themselves off at the prospect.

FatGav
11/11/2009, 9:23 PM
It's an absolute non-starter, surely. To generate enough revenue, this club would have to build it's own stadium, rather than lease Landsdowne. That's a huge investment right there. Aside from the issue of clearing it with UEFA/FIFA, the club would have to be built from scratch and would an Irish football fan, who now supports Bohs/Rovers/Man U/Liverpool, suddenly flock to this 'franchise' who'll be playing 'glamour' ties against the likes of Wigan, Bolton and Crystal Palace? It'll never happen.

DeLorean
12/11/2009, 12:43 PM
Premier League rejects Old Firm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/8353937.stm)

Bohs11
12/11/2009, 7:48 PM
I d love if it took off. English fans of EPL clubs would really turn on their Irish supporter base for their fickleness.

Dodge
12/11/2009, 10:04 PM
Ah Remember the Dublin Dons, and then the Clydebank to Dublin move

Going back further we had Dunphy and Treacy's "Dublin Utd" plan for the Scottish league

good times

Noelys Guitar
12/11/2009, 10:44 PM
It is not going to be a franchise. Shamrock Rovers are going to be the team to benefit (and possibly Linfield, Glentoran a Cork or Limerick team and possibly Bohs). This is going to happen. A two tier system with guaranteed spots for 2 SPL teams. One each for LOI and IL teams. Promotion and relegation will only happen if say Rover's/Boh's finish last then the top team from the LOI will take their place in the 2nd division league. (same applies to IL, SPL and Lower league English teams) It will guarantee the surival of the LOI/IL and SPL and to me makes perfect sense. This has nothing to do with Wimbledon moving to Dublin. People should be thanking Gartside for his forsight.

Dodge
12/11/2009, 11:08 PM
wow, and people say I'm sarcastic

Rovers1
12/11/2009, 11:41 PM
It is not going to be a franchise. Shamrock Rovers are going to be the team to benefit (and possibly Linfield, Glentoran a Cork or Limerick team and possibly Bohs). This is going to happen. A two tier system with guaranteed spots for 2 SPL teams. One each for LOI and IL teams. Promotion and relegation will only happen if say Rover's/Boh's finish last then the top team from the LOI will take their place in the 2nd division league. (same applies to IL, SPL and Lower league English teams) It will guarantee the surival of the LOI/IL and SPL and to me makes perfect sense. This has nothing to do with Wimbledon moving to Dublin. People should be thanking Gartside for his forsight.

Can't wait....:rolleyes:

Noelys Guitar
12/11/2009, 11:46 PM
wow, and people say I'm sarcastic

I'm serious Dodge. There could be a 6 team first division LOI league by the end of next season. Gartside's idea makes sense. Are Sligo/SRFC/Bohs with 6/7000 (potentially bigger fan base)fans better than Peterborough/half the teams. Yes. We keep the LOI but the top team every season goes into a play off with the top Scottish and IL teams for three places in the second division of the the new two tier UK/Ireland League. The new revenue keeps the LOI, IL and SPL afloat.

Hairy Bowsie
12/11/2009, 11:48 PM
"An Irish Franchise", what the bloody hell are Celtic then?

Dodge
13/11/2009, 3:31 AM
I'm serious Dodge.

Oh dear...

Neish
14/11/2009, 9:47 AM

A SCOTTISH football club

gspain
16/11/2009, 2:24 PM

A mediocre BRITISH football club.

Neish
16/11/2009, 4:12 PM
A mediocre BRITISH football club.

Probably a more arcuate description than mine. Thay sould have that on their flags and scarves

Den Perry
17/11/2009, 9:45 AM
Gartside is a pox and thats common knowledge.

Irish franchise me arse - the FAI, for all their faults, will not let that happen despite the barstoolers getting themselves off at the prospect.

lol funny