PDA

View Full Version : Will you watch the second leg regardless of the result on saturday?

foureyes
11/11/2009, 2:45 PM
if we go down say 0-2 on saturday i'm not sure i'll be able to watch the second leg.

i probably still will watch the first half but i will insist on being alone, will have to tell herself not to bother me.

paul_oshea
11/11/2009, 2:46 PM
ill be travelling to paris regardless.

Duggie
11/11/2009, 2:54 PM
eh yeeeessss
id watch if we lost 10-0 every game. still got to support the boys in green.

tetsujin1979
11/11/2009, 2:55 PM
of course, even if I wasn't travelling to Paris, I'd have a spot reserved in the local for the game.

Stuttgart88
11/11/2009, 3:26 PM
If we're 2-0 up like we were after Iran at home I may "flick over" every now and again to see how the second leg is going.

Yours,

Roy Keane, national team captain

Ozymandias
11/11/2009, 3:37 PM
If we're 2-0 up like we were after Iran at home I may "flick over" every now and again to see how the second leg is going.

Yours,

why oh why did you do that

cue a fifty page thread starting :confused:

rambler14
11/11/2009, 3:38 PM
What a stupid thread!

Scram
11/11/2009, 3:42 PM
What a stupid thread!

Indeed!! Who'd watch that sh!te ;)

onenilgameover
11/11/2009, 3:43 PM
i'd walk my dog.

Cloggs
11/11/2009, 3:50 PM
what channel is the game in paris on?did rte get the rights to show it does anyone know?

DeLorean
11/11/2009, 3:54 PM
My God!! I watched a good shot of that Johnstone Paint match last night between Leeds and Grimsby, I think I'd manage to sit through France-Ireland regardless of the circumstances, shur what else'd be on anyway!!

Emmet7
11/11/2009, 4:37 PM
They aren't going to do badly in the first leg so it's a hypothetical scenario.

But if that hypothetical scenario did arise, I would still watch. You have to get behind the team regardless.

I'm not one of these people who starts blaming people or gloat over a defeat in a "I told you so" manner as some people undoubtedly would if Ireland did bad. We know the players and management will try their best, so the fans should try their best too.

ArdeeBhoy
11/11/2009, 4:55 PM
if we go down say 0-2 on saturday i'm not sure i'll be able to watch the second leg.

Are you for real?

Razors left peg
11/11/2009, 4:58 PM
Id watch it if it was on the box... no guarantees there yet

Greenforever
11/11/2009, 5:02 PM
Anyone know if you get watch the match on tv in Dubai, just in case Stephen Manchester would like to watch it while out there playing a friendly game for City :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

stiffler
11/11/2009, 5:27 PM
Stupid question!!

back of the net
11/11/2009, 6:18 PM

i probably still will watch the first half but i will insist on being alone, will have to tell herself not to bother me.

You either SUPPORT the team or you DONT!

Supporting the team means sticking with them through good times and BAD.

If we are beaten in the first leg and then in first half of the second leg we are hammered on agreggate , i will not walk away from the stadium(will be in paris)/turn away from the game(if i was watching it on TV) and i am sure i speak for most on this site .

As per all true supporters , i will stay till full time and if the playoffs end up been a disaster for us(god forbid), i will applaud the team as they leave the pitch in paris.

Lack of world class players, lack of technical ability in certain areas or even bad luck may prevent us from qualifying for South Africa but i can tell you this it wont be through lack of pride and passion that our boys in green will show in the green jersey that stops us.

They will give it their all until the very end and us(as fans ) must show them the same courtesy.

COME ON IRELAND!!!!

seanfhear
11/11/2009, 6:34 PM
If we are 4 or 5 up;) against the French

I will still watch the second leg

stojkovic
11/11/2009, 6:57 PM
I'll probably sit in the Stade de France and read Wuthering Heights.

Drumcondra 69er
11/11/2009, 7:02 PM

Yours,

"Positive result!". I wouldn't wish any of the rest of the team luck either, would probably just slip away.....

Greenforever
11/11/2009, 7:23 PM
You either SUPPORT the team or you DONT!

Supporting the team means sticking with them through good times and BAD.

If we are beaten in the first leg and then in first half of the second leg we are hammered on agreggate , i will not walk away from the stadium(will be in paris)/turn away from the game(if i was watching it on TV) and i am sure i speak for most on this site .

As per all true supporters , i will stay till full time and if the playoffs end up been a disaster for us(god forbid), i will applaud the team as they leave the pitch in paris.

Lack of world class players, lack of technical ability in certain areas or even bad luck may prevent us from qualifying for South Africa but i can tell you this it wont be through lack of pride and passion that our boys in green will show in the green jersey that stops us.

They will give it their all until the very end and us(as fans ) must show them the same courtesy.

COME ON IRELAND!!!!

Classic post

Greenforever
11/11/2009, 7:25 PM

Fairweather supporter -

Uncle_Joe
11/11/2009, 7:44 PM
i'll be watching in paris. Even if we're well beaten in Dublin (not going to happen) it will be good to watch Trap go all out attack.

Nothing bugs me more than having to stand up to let some pleb get out 5-10 minutes from the end just to beat the crowds.

Greenforever
11/11/2009, 8:14 PM
i'll be watching in paris. Even if we're well beaten in Dublin (not going to happen) it will be good to watch Trap go all out attack.

Nothing bugs me more than having to stand up to let some pleb get out 5-10 minutes from the end just to beat the crowds.

hope ur not sitting behind me in paris....u;ll be standing from start to finish:D:D:D

Noelys Guitar
11/11/2009, 8:42 PM
We could easily lose 2-1 or 2-0 at Croker (a host of things going wrong. An own goal. Bad ref or a blind linesman. Players don't show on the night. Moment of brilliance.) And yet the second leg will still be no forgone conclusion. Thats how good and yet fragile this French team can be. And how tough we are at hanging in there under Trap. This first game will not decide anything no matter what the result is.

Irish_Praha
11/11/2009, 10:38 PM
We could easily lose 2-1 or 2-0 at Croker (a host of things going wrong. An own goal. Bad ref or a blind linesman. Players don't show on the night. Moment of brilliance.) And yet the second leg will still be no forgone conclusion. Thats how good and yet fragile this French team can be. And how tough we are at hanging in there under Trap. This first game will not decide anything no matter what the result is.

I totally agree with your point that the first leg won't decide anything but the result will have a bearing on the tactics for the second leg. Maybe not for Domenech because he'll still be relying on his crystal ball but it will be very interesting to see what tactics Trap will employ if we must win or have to score at least 2 goals after a 2-0 or 2-1 defeat.

BonnieShels
11/11/2009, 11:20 PM
you either support the team or you dont!

Supporting the team means sticking with them through good times and bad.

If we are beaten in the first leg and then in first half of the second leg we are hammered on agreggate , i will not walk away from the stadium(will be in paris)/turn away from the game(if i was watching it on tv) and i am sure i speak for most on this site .

Lack of world class players, lack of technical ability in certain areas or even bad luck may prevent us from qualifying for south africa but i can tell you this it wont be through lack of pride and passion that our boys in green will show in the green jersey that stops us.

Come on ireland!!!!

here here!

Colbert Report
11/11/2009, 11:32 PM
I don't care if we lose ten nil in the first leg, I'll still watch the second match.

Worst case scenario, we lose several key players to injury/suspension and lose the first leg 5-0. We'd still have a chance of qualifying.

Junior
12/11/2009, 7:47 AM
I don't care if we lose ten nil in the first leg, I'll still watch the second match.

Worst case scenario, we lose several key players to injury/suspension and lose the first leg 5-0. We'd still have a chance of qualifying.

I'd still be there to cheer on the boys. But errrrr, no we wouldnt have a chance of qualifying.

foureyes
12/11/2009, 9:38 AM
i guess i should have known better than to ask this question on foot.ie!

realistically i'll still watch it. i've only not watched one ireland game in the last ... 6 years at least, and that because i was on a plane.

i'm just trying to envisage a worst case scenario in order to prepare myself in case of disaster. i'd say won't enjoy either leg much regardless, it's like waiting for an exam - i just want it over in some ways.

SuperDave
12/11/2009, 1:08 PM
here here!

Where? Where?

[Sorry, I am a grammar nazi]

elroy
12/11/2009, 5:36 PM
I refrained from opening this thread until now. I dont even want to think of a bad result on saturday as its too difficult a thought to muster. I'll still go to paris even if we have a bad result at home, theres always hope.

Nonetheless positive vibes for the home result first please.

Brian Boru
12/11/2009, 7:35 PM
Very negative title for a thread. Especially when it's going to be nil all on Saturday. No question. 1-1 in Paris then the first African world cup awaits! I cannot see beyond nil all. A committed Irish team concentrating for 90 minutes. A partisan, loud crowd. The game will be cagey and tight in the opening 1/4. The French will then start to play for nil all in the mistaken, arrogant assumption that they'll hammer us in Paris. On Wednesday we'll score but we'll get through on away goals. That's the most likely scenario. Come on you boys in green.

zohan
12/11/2009, 11:36 PM
ill have to see!! im sitting in the french section of stafe de france!! anyone on the same boat hopefully irish will be scattered everywhere and sing our hearts out for nintey minutes

Claret Murph
13/11/2009, 6:49 AM
Hummmmm let me see . Well seeing as I will be there I should thinl so

twoenz
13/11/2009, 10:10 AM
I'll be watching no matter what. Although, it'll be hard to find space in the bars if it did go bad, what with all the "I told you so" brigade out in force, who have been talking down the doomed team for years, and knew that, despite the flukey gits getting into 2 world cups, that the glorystarved days would return, and all would be right with the world.

Shilts
13/11/2009, 10:16 AM
C'MON IRELAND!!!

Either you're with us or you're not. I couldn't miss any competitive game let alone a world cup playoff match!!!

paul_oshea
13/11/2009, 10:18 AM
i guess i should have known better than to ask this question on foot.ie!

realistically i'll still watch it. i've only not watched one ireland game in the last ... 6 years at least, and that because i was on a plane.

i'm just trying to envisage a worst case scenario in order to prepare myself in case of disaster. i'd say won't enjoy either leg much regardless, it's like waiting for an exam - i just want it over in some ways.

And then a sorta sense of emptiness!!

I remember Mcgrath saying that after the italy game but i knew what he meant, obviouslly its a lot different for a player but you still feel the same.

twoenz
13/11/2009, 10:23 AM
And then a sorta sense of emptiness!!

I remember Mcgrath saying that after the italy game but i knew what he meant, obviouslly its a lot different for a player but you still feel the same.

It's a bit like the end of Fever Pitch; you're in love with a team, and there's just a peak that you hit. There's no massive pay off, no euphoric moment, just a slight satisfaction and deflation from that point on.

My dad always said that taking the flags down in Florida was it for him. He knew something had changed. He went along to Anfield but said it just wasn't the same.

But my wee brother, who was born in 95, was the catalyst for him to get right back into Ireland again, probably more than he ever was.

kkdub
13/11/2009, 10:48 PM
Very negative title for a thread. Especially when it's going to be nil all on Saturday. No question. 1-1 in Paris then the first African world cup awaits! I cannot see beyond nil all. A committed Irish team concentrating for 90 minutes. A partisan, loud crowd. The game will be cagey and tight in the opening 1/4. The French will then start to play for nil all in the mistaken, arrogant assumption that they'll hammer us in Paris. On Wednesday we'll score but we'll get through on away goals. That's the most likely scenario. Come on you boys in green.

Absolutely agree. One of our greatest assets has always been the ability to score away from home against quality opposition in competitive games. There is never any home or away advantage. There will be no conclusive result tomorrow - at the very best a one goal margin and all to play for on Wednesday.