PDA

View Full Version : Oh! No!

Condex
01/03/2004, 7:49 PM
http://www.fai.ie/NR/exeres/8246EF0A-8641-4421-9E3C-0578DAAFC41E.htm

Beavis
01/03/2004, 8:02 PM
From above link
One of Ireland's most experienced players, he is the most capped player still playing international football and has played in four qualification campaigns - experience that will be vital in the forthcoming World Cup qualifiers.

Has rarely lets us down.
May have had a shaky start to international football but most would agree that he has improved no end and has been great in the last few years.I'd care not for his club form,he's done it for us and that's surely the important thing.

tiktok
01/03/2004, 8:38 PM
Originally posted by Beavis
Has rarely lets us down.
May have had a shaky start to international football but most would agree that he has improved no end and has been great in the last few years.I'd care not for his club form,he's done it for us and that's surely the important thing.

Agree with that 100%.

deadman
01/03/2004, 9:09 PM
performed when it mattered most, in the world cup.

you couldn't put him in the same class as Alan Kernaghan but wasn't Barcelona mentioned not so long ago. wise move, he stayed away from there.

1MickCollins
01/03/2004, 11:09 PM
If he was as bad as some people say he wouldn't have won so many caps but we don't have many if any top class centers.

He will never inspire confidence but hasn't let the team down and squeezes every ounce out of the limited talent he has, he should be an example to Dunne.

Bowsy
02/03/2004, 9:20 AM
Breen always does a job for us. Club form and International form not always the same thing. Look at John Barnes, Ian Wright and Aldo.

liamon
02/03/2004, 9:24 AM
Aldo?

When did his form ever let us down?
Perhaps when he was deployed as a defensive midfielder under Charlton, he wasn't as effective as he could have been, but I only have good memories of him.

Bowsy
02/03/2004, 9:35 AM
Aldo did a job but at club level he was phenomenal and he never quite replicated that for us.

Footie_Fan
02/03/2004, 10:15 AM
Breen is a solid performer in a green shirt and his experience as mentioned will be needed for the World Cup on and off the pitch. However, if Andy O'Brien can keep up his good form, Breen has slipped down the list.

onenilgameover
02/03/2004, 10:45 AM
Whats this oh no business....Gary Breen is a deity and only failed to sign for Barcelona because of image rights!

finlma
02/03/2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by onenilgameover
Whats this oh no business....Gary Breen is a deity and only failed to sign for Barcelona because of image rights!

What image would that be? The image of falling over and conceding sloppy goals.

I'd put Andy O'Brien ahead of him any day. He's playing at a higher level and has improved considerably in the last while.

onenilgameover
02/03/2004, 1:30 PM
What image would that be? The image of falling over and conceding sloppy goals.

I'm joking of course...but at the same time Breen has proven himself many times at international level..he was outstanding at the world cup and has played consistantly well for Ireland. Indeed his mistakes look foolish but thats just underlines the enigma that is Gary Breen. However I do think Andy O'Brien needs to be given a real chance he was man of the match against Brazil where they got Morrison from i don't know..

Pogsly
02/03/2004, 1:36 PM
Ah yes Gary Breen , the player who when having a flawless game seems to do something daft . People rightly point out that he had a fine World Cup . Ahem . The goal against kingpins of the gulf cup (saudi america) was a fine one indeed and marshalled the defence excellently . But let us not forget how himself and Steve Staunton tried to see who could fall over first in the Cameroon match for Mboma's goal . Only for it was Ireland us spectators would have been p*ssing it in the stands .
Andy O'Brien has risen above Breener in the pecking order for general defensiveplay and he is quite composed on the ball . Unfortunately O'Brien isn't the biggest lad (added to the fact that Kenny is small too) and Gary Breen is probably better defensively in the air .Not that you would have thought of that against Russia in Lansdowne .