PDA

View Full Version : Songs For Nov 18

Greenforever
09/11/2009, 11:40 AM
In my opinion we need to keep songs / chants limited to the best known if we ae going to succeed in raising the roof in Croker.

My suggestions:

Stand Up for the Boys in Green

The Fields

Que Sera

Cme on you boys in Green

Ole Ole Ole

Keano Keano

Molly Malone

You'll Never Walk Alone

I would appeal to all not to concern themselves with it's an English song etc, surely the only important thing is to have 70,000 people singing and chanting together....We Love You may sound and look great but no matter how hard people have tried to get it going in the SS it has never travelled around the ground.

Nov 14 is do or die and the only thing that matters is that we raise the decibel levels to a level previously unheard of in Croker Park for a football match and we keep it going for the full match. Personal preferences should not come into it, what Clubs we support if any should be forgotten, I firmly believe the players wont care what we are chanting as long as we are chanting all game long.

magnumpi
09/11/2009, 12:05 PM
In my opinion we need to keep songs / chants limited to the best known if we ae going to succeed in raising the roof in Croker.

My suggestions:

Stand Up for the Boys in Green

The Fields

Que Sera

Cme on you boys in Green

Ole Ole Ole

Keano Keano

Molly Malone

You'll Never Walk Alone

I would appeal to all not to concern themselves with it's an English song etc, surely the only important thing is to have 70,000 people singing and chanting together....We Love You may sound and look great but no matter how hard people have tried to get it going in the SS it has never travelled around the ground.

Nov 14 is do or die and the only thing that matters is that we raise the decibel levels to a level previously unheard of in Croker Park for a football match and we keep it going for the full match. Personal preferences should not come into it, what Clubs we support if any should be forgotten, I firmly believe the players wont care what we are chanting as long as we are chanting all game long.

completely disagree. i will refuse to sing you'll never walk alone, as not one of our player's play for liverpool, a club who ripped off and besmirched one of our greatest songs.

and we love you is a great chant, conveys better to the players why we are at the game, why we spend thousands travelling and following them, and how much it means to us.

i am not in the singing section, but will belt this out in the cusack stand, and encourage those around me to do the same. if one or two people catch on to the incredibly easy lyrics, it will be a classic for years to come.

if it doesn't catch on around the ground, and you are right, it almost certainly won't then 2 points;
1) the SS make enough noise for it to have added to the atmosphere anyway.
2) if for the remaining 89.5 mins of the game we stick to classics that everyone knows, no harm done to the atmosphere.

We Love You is here to stay imo. YNWA should never/will never be part of irish soccer supporters singing repetoir.

Desyf
09/11/2009, 12:13 PM
Stand up for the boys in green' and the 'Ole' song are a little bit mickey mouse aren't they, but anything that everyone joins in with is better than nothing.

I agree about YNWA being problemtaic for some to join in but there's a lot of Celts who would disagree.

Personally I find it odd being sung at an Ireland match.

Greenforever
09/11/2009, 12:25 PM
completely disagree. i will refuse to sing you'll never walk alone, as not one of our player's play for liverpool, a club who ripped off and besmirched one of our greatest songs.

What about Aidean McGeady playinf for Celtic?, so the only objection you have is that you're anti Liverpool ??

and we love you is a great chant, conveys better to the players why we are at the game, why we spend thousands travelling and following them, and how much it means to us.

How can it convey better to the players if it can hardly be heard?? Do you honestly thing the players are that bothered about weather its a Liverpool Song, A munster song, or anyother song..they just want us to raide the roof

i am not in the singing section, but will belt this out in the cusack stand, and encourage those around me to do the same. if one or two people catch on to the incredibly easy lyrics, it will be a classic for years to come.

if it doesn't catch on around the ground, and you are right, it almost certainly won't then 2 points;
1) the SS make enough noise for it to have added to the atmosphere anyway.
2) if for the remaining 89.5 mins of the game we stick to classics that everyone knows, no harm done to the atmosphere.

We Love You is here to stay imo. YNWA should never/will never be part of irish soccer supporters singing repetoir.

My argument is that the SS while no doubts a huge improvement has a long way to go to generate the noise levels we really need to be making.

I have no objection to We Love You it is just a reality that it has not caught on no matter how hard we try and to refuse to sing songs that will catch on is not really geting behind the team with unconditional support, I mean if the crowd start singing Daniel O Donnel songs it wouldnt bother me, Id probably throw up after the game but Im there to give 100% support.

Greenforever
09/11/2009, 12:30 PM
Stand up for the boys in green' and the 'Ole' song are a little bit mickey mouse aren't they, but anything that everyone joins in with is better than nothing.

I agree about YNWA being problemtaic for some to join in but there's a lot of Celts who would disagree.

Personally I find it odd being sung at an Ireland match.

I know I'll get abuse from certain people but if anyone has aproblem with any songs that can and will be sung by the vast majoirty they should stay at home. "Always look at the bright side of life" is a Utd song and I would have no problem singing that either if it caught on, it just IMO isnt as likely.

Everyone going to support Ireland should ask themselves why am I going? and not saying I wont sing this or that because a British team sings or dont sing it.

We need to raise the roof on Nov 18th and I for one dont care as long as we do, even if its just blowing fog horns and beating drums as long as its LOUD

I cringe at the toughts of OLE but hey it works

magnumpi
09/11/2009, 12:39 PM
i don't know what everyone's problem with Ole Ole is. ok, its not irish, but I can remember it being sung at ireland games for as long as I can remember.

YNWA was played a couple of times over the tanoy to a mixed response, so i don't think it works.

Totally agree with getting behind the team being most important, but the argument will boil down to semantics, if we're trying to argue that 1 song that is great but hasn't caught on yet shouldn't be sung, but one that is never sung, but that most people know the words to will be sung.

either way, none of us will have any voice left at the end of the match, hope it recovers for the away leg.

Greenforever
09/11/2009, 1:41 PM
i don't know what everyone's problem with Ole Ole is. ok, its not irish, but I can remember it being sung at ireland games for as long as I can remember.

YNWA was played a couple of times over the tanoy to a mixed response, so i don't think it works.

Totally agree with getting behind the team being most important, but the argument will boil down to semantics, if we're trying to argue that 1 song that is great but hasn't caught on yet shouldn't be sung, but one that is never sung, but that most people know the words to will be sung.

either way, none of us will have any voice left at the end of the match, hope it recovers for the away leg.

Ole appeared in the 90s and was associated with the bandwagoners, I personally hate it but quite happy to chant it

YNWA was sung in Anfiled at Charltons last game in charge and was deafening, louder than Liverpool even sing it according to somepeople on the night, it was also sung at a few games on rare occasions i'll admit...songs started by the stadium announcer never work

Leeside Swagger
09/11/2009, 1:48 PM
YNWA isnt appropriate at all, sure why dont we sing a load of Celtic songs in that case?

magnumpi
09/11/2009, 1:56 PM
i was at anfield, remember it being sung then alright, but imagine it was started by all the scousers who went to the game.

also, its depressing not uplifting. i associate it more with defeat than victory. same with que sera sera, but that's just me.

Greenforever
09/11/2009, 2:01 PM
YNWA isnt appropriate at all, sure why dont we sing a load of Celtic songs in that case?

Well see I dont care what we sing as long as we do and anything would be better than what we have at the moment, the reality is that the athmosphere just isnt good enough at the moment so yes Id even sing Rangers songs if the whold stadium joined in. Its not a case of being appropriate its a case of making noise.

Greenforever
09/11/2009, 2:03 PM
i was at anfield, remember it being sung then alright, but imagine it was started by all the scousers who went to the game.

also, its depressing not uplifting. i associate it more with defeat than victory. same with que sera sera, but that's just me.

Depressing????? I wouldn't think so unless you are so anti liverpool or celtic, who started it surely is irrelevant, what is relevant is that it raised the roof

Que Sera associate with defeat??? I always taught Que Sera was we are going to Wembley ie we have / are winning and on the way to a final....

magnumpi
09/11/2009, 3:14 PM
i dunno, its probably just me, but we only ever seem to sing it when we're losing, its sort of a "we're losers and we know it" type song.

i am anti-liverpool, given. but just think we can raise the roof easily without it, like we against italy/holland / at away games. haven't needed it before, don't need it now.

anyway, this won't be settled here!! have the last say and we'll be done with it.

Leeside Swagger
09/11/2009, 3:18 PM
Well see I dont care what we sing as long as we do and anything would be better than what we have at the moment, the reality is that the athmosphere just isnt good enough at the moment so yes Id even sing Rangers songs if the whold stadium joined in. Its not a case of being appropriate its a case of making noise.

Yera it is really, why sing a song that divides and alienates certain sections of the crowd, a lot of whom will be Man U fans? Stick to the Classics, Ole Ole, the Boys in green, you'll never beat the Irish etc.

Greenforever
09/11/2009, 3:42 PM
Yera it is really, why sing a song that divides and alienates certain sections of the crowd, a lot of whom will be Man U fans? Stick to the Classics, Ole Ole, the Boys in green, you'll never beat the Irish etc.

Thats the problem we have too many people who are supporters of uk teams ahead of Ireland, I know Im the odd one out on this one but if we could get 70,000 singing look on the bright side of life Id sing that to, of Glory Glory ROI, etc even if it sounds ****

Though we need something that makes your hair standup, unfortunately with too many so called fans having loyalties to foreign teams it actually stops us singing certain songs like YNWA which when sung like at Anfield V Holland will really lift the roof....makes me wonder...see I only have one team and Il rob anyones songs.

magnumpi
09/11/2009, 3:51 PM
Thats the problem we have too many people who are supporters of uk teams ahead of Ireland, I know Im the odd one out on this one but if we could get 70,000 singing look on the bright side of life Id sing that to, of Glory Glory ROI, etc even if it sounds ****

Though we need something that makes your hair standup, unfortunately with too many so called fans having loyalties to foreign teams it actually stops us singing certain songs like YNWA which when sung like at Anfield V Holland will really lift the roof....makes me wonder...see I only have one team and Il rob anyones songs.

i support ireland above any club side, and have no allegiances to any premier league clubs. I just think other more relevant songs can raise the roof more than YNWA, which will divide, because soem ppl will associate it with clubs they don't like.

I'd hate to be singing always look on the bright side of life - it'll mean we're out of the fecking tie after one game!!

elroy
09/11/2009, 3:59 PM
I....We Love You may sound and look great but no matter how hard people have tried to get it going in the SS it has never travelled around the ground.

i think this sounds great once it gets going, problem is that I dont think most people know the words. It seems to work better on away trips, certainly outside the grounds we got this going a few times this campaign.

EastTerracer
09/11/2009, 4:10 PM

I was at Anfield and didn't think it was the scousers who started it at all (and I don't remember there being too many of them there anyway). I think it was a pretty spontaneous thing from the Irish fans on the Kop for Jack as it was his last match and it seemed appropriate given the venue and a farewell after 10 years.

Having said that I don't think it is one of our regular Ireland songs so wouldn't be too keen on adopting it now.

Greenforever
09/11/2009, 4:32 PM
Agreed, dont remember any Scousers that night, the reason I wouldm promote the song is because if sung it does raise the roof and unfortunately we dont seem to be able to do that with any of our own songs, maybe Molly Malone may get a few blasts but again I dont expect it to

Greenforever
09/11/2009, 4:33 PM
i support ireland above any club side, and have no allegiances to any premier league clubs. I just think other more relevant songs can raise the roof more than YNWA, which will divide, because soem ppl will associate it with clubs they don't like.

I'd hate to be singing always look on the bright side of life - it'll mean we're out of the fecking tie after one game!!

Any chance of singing it in French for the frogs:D

paul_oshea
09/11/2009, 4:34 PM
Molly malone is more a dublin song than an ireland song really, the dubs go mad for it and think that the rest of the country loves it just as much. Its a good tune but its not all inclusive lads. Maybe i just wanted to get that off me chest :D

Greenforever
09/11/2009, 4:35 PM
i think this sounds great once it gets going, problem is that I dont think most people know the words. It seems to work better on away trips, certainly outside the grounds we got this going a few times this campaign.

Its ideal for the smaller away trips, but even in Paris I doubr if enough will know the words to make it work.

It is a case of picking songs that will work.

Greenforever
09/11/2009, 4:39 PM
Molly malone is more a dublin song than an ireland song really, the dubs go mad for it and think that the rest of the country loves it just as much. Its a good tune but its not all inclusive lads. Maybe i just wanted to get that off me chest :D

I agree but isnt this the problem, with the exception of a Galway song (n u from Mayo) everyone seems to have problems with songs for various reasons instead of just getting behind the team:eek:

Desyf
09/11/2009, 5:32 PM
As I said earlier, as did greenforever, any song that gets everyone joining in has to be good.

That Ole song though seems to have two versions...

The one that starts "Ole, Ole, Ole" and ends with "Ireland, Ireland".
Then the one where people forget the f#cking words and ole, ole, ole all the way through it :D

I was at Anfield for that Holland match and the YNWA was sung by everybody, no one faction joined in...it was ace.

Outside of that occasion I still find it odd, but would join in if everybody else was, no probs..

jo84
09/11/2009, 5:52 PM
I was at Anfield too for that playoff, and YNWA was definitely just an appropriate song for a very special moment. This should be pretty straightforward, if YNWA is causing debate on this forum, it'll alienate people in Croker too. So in my opinion any idea about singing this song should be scrapped for now, as we need EVERYONE to join in for every song for 90 mins.

zenokelly
09/11/2009, 5:55 PM
As I said earlier, as did greenforever, any song that gets everyone joining in has to be good.

Agreed.

However, a stupid chant like 'Let's go fcukin mental' that was sung at the back of the SS during the Monty game is an embarrassment to our supporters.

Greenforever
09/11/2009, 6:27 PM
Agreed.

However, a stupid chant like 'Let's go fcukin mental' that was sung at the back of the SS during the Monty game is an embarrassment to our supporters.

I agree, this unfortunately is creeping in with some of our so called newer suppport

Greenforever
09/11/2009, 6:29 PM
I was at Anfield for that Holland match and the YNWA was sung by everybody, no one faction joined in...it was ace.

Anfield was without doubt the best support of any away game ive been to and to recreate that again would be special, why wait till Trap is leaving to do that, lets go for it on Nov 14

RonnieB
09/11/2009, 7:45 PM
I moved up near the back of the SS for that game and there were a group of young fellas around 20 or so of them who were the ones singing it. Got pretty fcuking annoying after a while.

francesco_1
09/11/2009, 9:08 PM
I moved up near the back of the SS for that game and there were a group of young fellas around 20 or so of them who were the ones singing it. Got pretty fcuking annoying after a while.

Probably the same tools who left off the firework/banger in the corner of the lower davin.

Greenforever
09/11/2009, 9:15 PM
I was at Anfield too for that playoff, and YNWA was definitely just an appropriate song for a very special moment. This should be pretty straightforward, if YNWA is causing debate on this forum, it'll alienate people in Croker too. So in my opinion any idea about singing this song should be scrapped for now, as we need EVERYONE to join in for every song for 90 mins.

UNfortunately your post / and your club being Man U just proves my point that too many people are more interested in foriegn club loyalties, rahter nobody has denied that the athmosphere that night in Anfield was way above any other Irish game yet all I get is why we shouldn't look to recreate that athmosphere.

At times I wish we played our home games in a tiny stadium with just thew hard core away support as they do sing for 90 minutes.

jo84
09/11/2009, 11:24 PM
UNfortunately your post / and your club being Man U just proves my point that too many people are more interested in foriegn club loyalties, rahter nobody has denied that the athmosphere that night in Anfield was way above any other Irish game yet all I get is why we shouldn't look to recreate that athmosphere.

At times I wish we played our home games in a tiny stadium with just thew hard core away support as they do sing for 90 minutes.

Honestly, what club I support doesnt matter a jot right now.
I support Ireland above any other team. So Im not "more intersested in foreign club loyalties".
Im as interested as u are in hearing as many people as possible get behind the team on Saturday. Maybe some ppl at the match tho will not want to sing it because of such loyalties and good luck to them.
Im just not used to hearing it at Irish matches, and i dont think it'l work, but if it does, i'd have no problem singing it.
But we have enough songs already, like pretty much every other song u listed earlier.

spin
10/11/2009, 12:47 PM
Ole appeared in the 90s and was associated with the bandwagoners, I personally hate it but quite happy to chant it

YNWA was sung in Anfiled at Charltons last game in charge and was deafening, louder than Liverpool even sing it according to somepeople on the night, it was also sung at a few games on rare occasions i'll admit...songs started by the stadium announcer never work

I was there and it was unbelieveable, but it had particular meaning. We were singing it on the Kop waving goodbye to Big Jack and Paul McGrath.

Singing YNWA at Ireland games is not the done thing, the Anfield night was special and should remain so. We've enough of our own to be getting on with...

Desyf
10/11/2009, 1:45 PM
I was there and it was unbelieveable, but it had particular meaning. We were singing it on the Kop waving goodbye to Big Jack and Paul McGrath.

Singing YNWA at Ireland games is not the done thing, the Anfield night was special and should remain so. We've enough of our own to be getting on with...

Yep .....

keenanboy
10/11/2009, 9:02 PM
I'm sure its been done but wouldn't
Trapattoni, trapattoni, ole ole ole (to the tune of champione, ole ole ole) with 70,000 fans swinging their scarves be pretty impressive?
Easy to remember too for those with a lot of suace on board

PartySaint
10/11/2009, 9:28 PM
I'm sure its been done but wouldn't
Trapattoni, trapattoni, ole ole ole (to the tune of champione, ole ole ole) with 70,000 fans swinging their scarves be pretty impressive?
Easy to remember too for those with a lot of suace on board

Sorry but i think thats the gayest song ever i have heard a few people trying to get it going it just sounds terrible but hey if its going i will get invovled

Stand up for the boys in green should be done but at max twice in the whole game its get annoying

I sit on the lower Cusack stand near the hill and i have never heard we love you come around to us i would absolutly love it if got going at a game its class, maybe try it straight after stand up for the boys in green because everyone will already be standing it will then get people jumping up and down, would be great

old git
10/11/2009, 10:04 PM
Sorry but i think thats the gayest song ever i have heard a few people trying to get it going it just sounds terrible but hey if its going i will get invovled

Stand up for the boys in green should be done but at max twice in the whole game its get annoying

I sit on the lower Cusack stand near the hill and i have never heard we love you come around to us i would absolutly love it if got going at a game its class, maybe try it straight after stand up for the boys in green because everyone will already be standing it will then get people jumping up and down, would be great

lads if ye cant even agree on songs to sing here how the hell we going to get 70,000 to sing along.. i could not give a s**t what is sung as long as the atmosphere is electric and fans sing / cheer & shout for 90 mins ... :ball:

Hibernian
10/11/2009, 10:06 PM
Dont really care what we sing once it gets the players going and makes the atmosphere unreal.

Dont mind Ole Ole Ole it was class I taught when Ireland got the two goals against Italy i dont care what anyone says it got people jumping that littler bit more.

Stand up for you boys in green was never mad about it, but it has grown on me and it does get the whole crowd involved so that makes it look much better so no problems there.

Ireland Ireland chants are great if at least it gets everybody going

Comon you boys in green I love it and always will its excellent chant and one thats our own and has been around since I can remember.

Now for the new songs that people want. The we love you song well its ok but it only seems be about couple hundred in the SS that sing it by what I can see and has never really caught on

Like to see the John O Shea chant start (the one that United fanbs sing) but of course replace Stretford end with Devin end it work but the preoblem is nobody going catch onto these songs after one game. Its one those chants that gets people going.

I liked that chant there few years ago the Richard Dunne song to the tune from Automatic song "Monster" was catchy.

Thing is will people really all get involved with theses songs on the night I dont think they will??

Is it best just stick to orginal songs??

PartySaint
10/11/2009, 10:07 PM
lads if ye cant even agree on songs to sing here how the hell we going to get 70,000 to sing along.. i could not give a s**t what is sung as long as the atmosphere is electric and fans sing / cheer & shout for 90 mins ... :ball:

Im just giving my suggestions dont get me wrong whatever songs are sung i will be up straight away to sing them

Just another thought, i might be the only Pats fan to admit it but i think when Bohs fans sing Hold me now it sounds great, imagine 70,000 people doing it, could someone in the SS get this going, just a thought:D

paul_oshea
10/11/2009, 10:17 PM
Whoever starts hold me now in the SS is a brave man!!!

I think that was greenforevers point old_git doesn't matter what song so long as EVERYONE is singing it

Greenforever
11/11/2009, 12:51 AM
What still amazes me is anyone that was at Anfield accepts the athmosphere was amazing but are against recreating it again??

I can't get my head around that, but such is life...ole ole ole

Desyf
11/11/2009, 8:13 AM
Ole, ole

Slim Pickings
11/11/2009, 10:46 AM
For During the day under the tower

Big f*ckin pylon, it's just a big f*ckin pylon,
big f*ckin pyyyyylon, it's just a big f*ckin pylon

Shamelessly ripped off the Scots the last time they were there :D

punkrocket
11/11/2009, 11:50 AM