PDA

View Full Version : So we've made the play offs?

lowflyingseagul
08/11/2009, 12:26 AM
Can we stay up?

Grey Boy
08/11/2009, 7:59 AM
We've a chance I guess. I think maybe having less chance to dwell on it might help. Drogheda have known for some weeks now and will probably feel more pressure. Sporting Fingal in the final anyone?

naoise kennedy
08/11/2009, 12:49 PM
This is it our final chance, hopefully the lads can pick there game up for this.. i think they owe the club a big performance after that display in the semi...

Hulsey
08/11/2009, 1:53 PM
I have a feeling we'll beat Drogheda, there isn't much between the two sides 3 of our games have been won by the odd goal and one drawn. I'd fancy our chances of beating Drogs more than Fingal anyway.

peadar1987
08/11/2009, 7:34 PM
Will the match be on the telly?

KK77
09/11/2009, 10:13 AM
Sporting Fingal in the final anyone?

Sporting Fingal in what final?? If we beat Drogheda are we not staying up??

Roo69
09/11/2009, 10:45 AM
Sporting Fingal in what final?? If we beat Drogheda are we not staying up??

Yeah that's what i thought. If we win we stay in the Premier. Drogheda then go on for a 2nd chance and play the winner of the Shels v Fingal match. The winner of that game then plays in next seasons Premier.

Well that's how i thought it worked.

Hulsey
09/11/2009, 11:21 AM
Yeah that's what i thought. If we win we stay in the Premier. Drogheda then go on for a 2nd chance and play the winner of the Shels v Fingal match. The winner of that game then plays in next seasons Premier.

Well that's how i thought it worked.

Yeah thats it unless theres been a late change the fai haven't told anyone about

KK77
09/11/2009, 11:42 AM
No reason we can't beat Drogheda. This is like the extra golden ticket granted to Charlie Bucket!!!! Eddie will buy a new set of furry dice for the taxi!!!

ndrog
09/11/2009, 12:15 PM
I have a feeling we'll beat Drogheda, there isn't much between the two sides 3 of our games have been won by the odd goal and one drawn. I'd fancy our chances of beating Drogs more than Fingal anyway.

The game in utd pk when you scored that screamer of a goal we were all over you and fully deserved to win that game ! however we didnt and you did .You are always hard to beat tbh but i think we are a better side with more quality and should beat you in fairness . Your lucky to be getting another crack at it and it should be a great game .will you bring any supporters up ?

tippex
09/11/2009, 3:11 PM
very lucky to be getting a crack at it...
tbh I think we owe you one at this stage although I wouldnt be surprised to see it go to penos.

Roo69
09/11/2009, 4:30 PM
Lucky isn't the word !

Games between both clubs over the past few years have tended to be tight affairs and i'd expect nothing less from this game. Drogheda's squad have much more experience so that along with home advantage should make them favourites to win.

BUT, this pretty much is a cup final and i reckon after what happened to us in the FAI Cup semi final, the lads will be a bit wiser from it so i'd expect a better preformance from us all over the park.

What are people's thoughts on the starting XI? if everyone is fit i'd go with....

GK - Skippy

LB - Massey
CB - Foran (Doubtful)
CB - Deans
RB - Pender

LM - McCabe (Doubtful)
CM - Brennan
CM - Shields
CM - Mulcahy
RM - Coughlan

ST - Byrne

3 in the centre of the park with Brennan just playing behind the other 2 to try and sweep up, McCabe and Coughlan pushed up on either wing to support Byrne up front, It should keep the 2 Drogheda full backs in their own half as opposed to our half.

Hulsey
09/11/2009, 4:33 PM
The game in utd pk when you scored that screamer of a goal we were all over you and fully deserved to win that game ! however we didnt and you did .You are always hard to beat tbh but i think we are a better side with more quality and should beat you in fairness . Your lucky to be getting another crack at it and it should be a great game .will you bring any supporters up ?

Agree with you there, but I feel the same, that we should have beaten you in the First game down at your place and for your 1-0 win at the Carlisle. Hasn't been much in the 4 league games between us and looking forward to another hotly contested game.
On the attendance, its a weird one. On paper we should bring more than usual the game thats in it but you wouldn't know.

Hulsey
09/11/2009, 4:36 PM
Lucky isn't the word !

Games between both clubs over the past few years have tended to be tight affairs and i'd expect nothing less from this game. Drogheda's squad have much more experience so that along with home advantage should make them favourites to win.

BUT, this pretty much is a cup final and i reckon after what happened to us in the FAI Cup semi final, the lads will be a bit wiser from it so i'd expect a better preformance from us all over the park.

What are people's thoughts on the starting XI? if everyone is fit i'd go with....

GK - Skippy

LB - Massey
CB - Foran (Doubtful)
CB - Deans
RB - Pender

LM - McCabe (Doubtful)
CM - Brennan
CM - Shields
CM - Mulcahy
RM - Coughlan

ST - Byrne

3 in the centre of the park with Brennan just playing behind the other 2 to try and sweep up, McCabe and Coughlan pushed up on either wing to support Byrne up front, It should keep the 2 Drogheda full backs in their own half as opposed to our half.

I'd agree with you mostly but I'd rather we play mulroy off byrne in place of brennan/shields. I think Mulroys pace onto byrnes flick ons could cause problems as it did up in Galway before Mulroy went off injured

Riddickcule
09/11/2009, 5:14 PM
All or nothing now !

peadar1987
09/11/2009, 5:37 PM
Well, all or Sporting Fingal!

I think the crowd and the lads will be really up for this one. After being resigned to relegation, they really won't want to miss this chance, and go through it all again.

Seagull
09/11/2009, 7:16 PM
Well, all or Sporting Fingal!

I think the crowd and the lads will be really up for this one. After being resigned to relegation, they really won't want to miss this chance, and go through it all again.
Wouldn't want to become the first club to be relegated twice in the same season! :eek:

notever
10/11/2009, 4:21 PM
Relegation is finished now its an immediate return to the Premier we want to-night and hopefully that is what we will get.......we need everybody to stand up for the boys in green.......... support for the 90 minutes is what we need to-night.....no abuse if a player makes a mistake come on you boys in green.

Hulsey
10/11/2009, 11:41 PM
Another pathetic spineless performance. Everytime we've had a big game this season the players have failed to deliver, no fight, or more importantly no pride in the shirt. Play as we did tonight and Fingal are gonna give us an absolute hammering.

Weatherman
11/11/2009, 7:55 AM
Another pathetic spineless performance. Everytime we've had a big game this season the players have failed to deliver, no fight, or more importantly no pride in the shirt. Play as we did tonight and Fingal are gonna give us an absolute hammering.

I agree Hulsey, didnt look like there was any pride, i dont mean to mention names but cronin was poor, i mean can he do anything else but hoof the ball up to our 5 foot tall strikers when their up against defenders towering over them?? Did he not hear of playing it into the midfielders feet and providing an overlap?? Dont think he's done that ever! What was the story with team selection? i hope byrne, massey and webster where injured n Eddie didnt have this brilliant idea about saving them for shels/fingal!

Roo69
11/11/2009, 12:17 PM
We were nothing short of disgraceful in the 2nd half. Not once did we even come close to troubling their keeper.

We have been the creators of our own down fall all season, last night was exactly the same. We should have taken the lead when Touhy went clear thru 1 on 1 but what do you expect form a young lad only starting his 2nd ever game at this level? That would have given us even more confidence in a 1st half that we actually did compete in. But we took a step back in the 2nd half and might as well not been on the pitch Drogheda had so much of the ball. Mulroy gives away a NEEDLESS free kick, gets himself booked and they score. It really is just typical of how we just keep shooting ourselves in the foot. We just had no response to going 1 down, simply couldn't offer anything going forward and it was only a matter of time before we went 2 down.

Lets be honest lads, it was 0-0 at half time. We had a ****ing great chance of Premier Division survival. What happened at half time to make us come out and play like we did?

To top it all off, Mulroy goes and gets himself sent off. The night simply could'nt have been any worse really.

I just can't see how the players can pick themselves up for 2 games against Fingal.

Riddickcule
11/11/2009, 1:24 PM
Well then, bring on the fingal...