PDA

View Full Version : Galway, Mervue and Salthill discussion

Pages : [1] 2 3

WoodquayBoy
07/11/2009, 9:35 PM
Can Galway survive another team coming in.Mervue are thinking pulling out.Be great to see a club from a county that doesn't have a team play loi getting a chance.
Don't go making stupid claims of fact which are plainly wrong - the chairman of Mervue Utd announced 2 weeks ago the club was to continue in the LOI.
Dublin has a populaiton of more than 1 million people., and 6 clubs in the LOI. Galway (city and county) has a population of around 230,000, and could have 3 teams in the LOI. Crazy****

gufct
07/11/2009, 9:40 PM
there is no way that Galway can sustain any more than one club in the League. Our crowds have been disgraceful this season while Mervue have had barely more than 100 people paying into their games and Salthill will be in the same boat.

WoodquayBoy
07/11/2009, 9:42 PM
there is no way that Galway can sustain any more than one club in the League. Our crowds have been disgraceful this season while Mervue have had barely more than 100 people paying into their games and Salthill will be in the same boat.
Exactly. ANd where the hell will they play? Drom has no covered seating - no seating at all in fact. Doomsday scenario is Devon and MErvue get Terryland as G&DL clubs, and United get turfed out

Dillonman
07/11/2009, 9:43 PM

Are Mervue's fans not actually Galway Utd fans who were'nt bothered travelling to an away game on a Friday night so just paid in to Terrlyand to watch Mervue!

WoodquayBoy
07/11/2009, 9:45 PM
NO Dillonman, I think they do have a regualr 4 fans at their games. I would seriously hope no self-respecting United fan paid in money to watch United rejects struggle at the foot of the First Division

SkStu
07/11/2009, 10:23 PM
So the other 96 are away fans?!

except when UCD are in town... then its even stevens...

WoodquayBoy
07/11/2009, 10:34 PM
I said REGULAR fans

christo
07/11/2009, 11:57 PM
Sure we even out numbered them with our band of fans when we won 4-1 earlier this season

Terry
08/11/2009, 8:32 AM
Exactly. ANd where the hell will they play? Drom has no covered seating - no seating at all in fact. Doomsday scenario is Devon and MErvue get Terryland as G&DL clubs, and United get turfed out

Salthill received there planning permission to build a stand in the drom a while back and they plan to have one up to first division standards at some stage next season.

Are Mervue's fans not actually Galway Utd fans who were'nt bothered travelling to an away game on a Friday night so just paid in to Terrlyand to watch Mervue!

correct in a way, from what I could see it was about 60% mervue 40% united fans per match.

Sumac
08/11/2009, 9:06 AM
Galway is definately not big enough to sustain 3 clubs. In an ideal world you would have 1 strong club (Utd) with a decent reserve team in the A championship. The local junior teams such as Mervue and Salthill would work as feeder clubs with strong links with Utd. Unfortunately there is not a strong enough link between junior and senior football in this country

forza
08/11/2009, 1:40 PM
The local junior teams such as Mervue and Salthill would work as feeder clubs with strong links with Utd.

Why should they?? Do they not have a right of their own to try and progress??

eamo1
08/11/2009, 2:01 PM
Mervue said the same thing last year about building their stand at their own pitch and so they'd only be using Terryland for half the season.They are STILL there now and no sign of their own pitch being developed.I realise its hard to build anything these days but Salthill saying the same thing now is laughable.
Not sure if its true but the Galway FA who own Terryland are meant to be charging Utd double in rent then they charge Mervue.
If Galway was big enough i wouldnt mind 3 teams in the LOI,it just isnt though.

Paddyfield
08/11/2009, 2:04 PM
Salthill received there planning permission to build a stand in the drom a while back and they plan to have one up to first division standards at some stage next season.

Are you sure of that?
http://www.salthilldevon.ie/dromphotos.asp
The access roads to Drom from the city are very poor and would not be able to sustain a few hundred cars in one go. The local residents put up a big fight when Salthill Devon developed the current facility and there were a lot of stipulations added so the locals wouldn't get upset (no bar, large car park, restricted use of floodlights etc).

Keep in mind, Drom is located 5km from city in a rural area.

Longfordian
08/11/2009, 2:09 PM
I "played" against Salthill in a youths game in Drom years ago, it is actually way out from the city. It was windy as feck as well!.

Paddyfield
08/11/2009, 2:13 PM
Mervue United have plans to build a stand too

www.mervueunited.com

Plans for a 500 seater stand which will allow Mervue Utd to host big home games in the League of Ireland were unveiled to the public recently, Club officials have met with local residents to allay their fears regarding parking arrangements around Fahy’s field, where the east side club hopes to begin hosting games following the competition of the first phase of upgrading works in July.

The club has been given the use of Terryland for the entire 2009 campaign, if necessary, but according to Chairman Declan McDonnell plans are well advanced for Johnny Glynns side to stage games at their own ground for the second half of the season, once structures such as fencing have been put in place around the pitch at Fahy’s Field.

Declan McDonnell said that because the club was rooted in the community, had a successful lottery, and would retain its amateur ethos, he did not envisage Mervue having the kind of financial troubles which plagued many League of Ireland clubs in 2008.
“We have a structure within our club, with a guaranteed income stream, which would make us different to most established clubs” he said. “Having said that, we will be watching the financial aspect of it from week to week and month to month”.
He paid tribute to both Glynn and assistant manager Mark Herrick for their willingness to come on board when the club was invited into the ’A’ Championship 12 months ago, and felt the time was right for Mervue to join the national league.
“We are a community and the club, and I would have said ten years ago that it not for us”, he said we would hope to develop a ground which is similar to the UCD Belfield Bowl and we are hoping to be back in Mervue by July.

“We just want to make sure we have the players to be competitive and to give a viable channel for the talented younger players in Galway to go into. Fortunately, the younger players at Mervue are that good, that some of them are ready to go into the team”.
John Glynn has said it was the community - based ethos of the club which attracted him to Mervue 12 months ago. “Where we are right now is a testament to the vision of the people who decided to take up the challenge of going into the ’A’ League a year ago”, said Mark Herrick. “Last year was a difficult year for the League of Ireland, but we are humbled to go into such a League. In times of recession, sport has always prospered and Galway is benefiting from where we are at the moment.”
Fans of the club, who currently have 600 members playing in 26 teams at all levels, can check out regular updates on www.mervueunited.com in the build up to the start of the new season

Sumac
08/11/2009, 2:17 PM
Why should they?? Do they not have a right of their own to try and progress??

Of course they do but that doesn't mean that it is the best way to go. Utd have regular crowds of only around 1k. Mervue and Salthill have no fanbase as such - apart from a few regulars.
A city which struggles to maintain 1 senior club will not sustain 3 clubs. Mervue have crowds of only around 100 and 30-40 of these would be Utd supporters.
Mervue would also be a stronger football stronghold than Salthill so I can see Salthill having less than 100 regulars.
As a LOI fan which do you think is better - 1 strong club which consolidates itself in the top division with regular crowds of around 2k or 3 clubs in the 1st division with combined crowds of a few hundred - which is what you will end up with if the best footballers in the local area are split between 3 clubs

WoodquayBoy
08/11/2009, 11:18 PM
Mervue talked of plans to build a stand before the 2009 season began, held talks with City Council and a developer before a ball was kicked. Not one square metre of ground turned in preparation for that stand, won't be up for next season, so again, 3 Galway teams, one acceptable ground - what is going to happen???? As Paddyfield's post reads, plans were for Mervue to return to Fahy's Field in July. Never happened.

jebus
08/11/2009, 11:23 PM
Up to the Galway FA who they want to rent their ground to then isn't it?

If Salthill want a crack at the LoI, the FAI offer them a spot and Terryland is available for them to rent then they'll have just as much right as Galway and Mervue to compete

I'd agree that Galway is too small a town for three teams however

Riddickcule
09/11/2009, 4:03 PM
Too right Galway is too small for 3 clubs, its ridiculous

The two of them should act as feeder clubs as someone else said.

Terry
09/11/2009, 7:26 PM
The planning notice for the mervue grounds went up only in july (half way through the season) with up until the end of August for any of the locals to oppose the works, so, nothing could be done anyway until the end of these dates. It is widely known that mervue gave such short dates at the start of the season so to get low rent payments to play in terryland as to the one that GUFC have to pay.

FAO PADDYFIELD:

I havent seen the planning permission myself for the drom, it was players and staff that told me of the developments.

redobit
10/11/2009, 8:50 AM
The planning notice for the mervue grounds went up only in july (half way through the season) with up until the end of August for any of the locals to oppose the works, so, nothing could be done anyway until the end of these dates. It is widely known that mervue gave such short dates at the start of the season so to get low rent payments to play in terryland as to the one that GUFC have to pay.

FAO PADDYFIELD:

I havent seen the planning permission myself for the drom, it was players and staff that told me of the developments.

Planning submissions are open to the public, so you should be able to see the planning permission and any drawings if you know the applicant name or address etc. if you check on Galway CoCo planning section (http://www.galway.ie/en/services/planning/TextBasedQuery/) or on the City council website, which ever is relevant.

Big Chief
10/11/2009, 10:46 AM
The situation is ridiculous. Mervue should not have been allowed into the League and neither should Salthill Devon for that part. The main focus of the League of Ireland has to be increasing attendances from which increased gate receipts and sponsorship can be gleaned and money generated to improve facilities and playing staffs.

While I am on the point Kildare County (who I understand have now folded), UCD, Monaghan United and Sporting Fingal offer nothing and should also be removed. There are far too many senior clubs in Ireland as it is without allowing another one to join the ranks.

Paddyfield
10/11/2009, 10:55 AM
While I am on the point Kildare County (who I understand have now folded), UCD, Monaghan United and Sporting Fingal offer nothing and should also be removed. There are far too many senior clubs in Ireland as it is without allowing another one to join the ranks.

Monaghan Utd seem to be a well run and self sustained club. The could show other clubs how to live within their means. When they played in the Premier Division in the 90's, they had big home crowds and brought a large traveling support to away games. I recall them bringing a few hundred to Galway on more than one occasion.

gufct
10/11/2009, 11:02 AM
Monaghan Utd seem to be a well run and self sustained club. The could show other clubs how to live within their means. When they played in the Premier Division in the 90's, they had big home crowds and brought a large traveling support to away games. I recall them bringing a few hundred to Galway on more than one occasion.

Monaghan are very well run but they have a tiny fanbase and they were a novelty back in the 90's and punched well above their weight for 2 seasons under Billy Bagster.

If salthill take up the offer of a first division spot the FAI will single handedly destroy loi soccer in Galway. Galway United have a huge debt and are being propped up by Directors loans,Mervue have struggled to get crowds in excess of 120 and putting a third clun=b in Galway is lunacy and anyone that thinks otherwise is living in cloud cuckoo land. There is barely the support for 1 team in Galway let alone 3.

gufcfan
10/11/2009, 5:09 PM

That's what Mervue "planned".

Don't have a stand and probably never will.

gufc2000
10/11/2009, 6:05 PM
I can't understand this. Monaghan Utd are one of the best run clubs in the country. They are investing their money in infrastructure, youth set-ups and facilities instead of wasting it on players like many other clubs have foolishly done.

And besides, have you clubs at the ready to jump in and take the places of these clubs who supposedly offer 'nothing'?

Big Chief
11/11/2009, 8:19 AM
I can't understand this. Monaghan Utd are one of the best run clubs in the country. They are investing their money in infrastructure, youth set-ups and facilities instead of wasting it on players like many other clubs have foolishly done.

And besides, have you clubs at the ready to jump in and take the places of these clubs who supposedly offer 'nothing'?

No I don't and that is exactly the outcome which I would endeavour to achieve. There are too many senior clubs in Ireland as it stands. The population of the Republic of Ireland is around 4 million and soccer is clearly not the most popular spectator sport therefore it simply can't support 22 senior clubs.

As for Monaghan United, who have had a reasonably good season by their standards, I stand over my belief that they should be removed from the league. I attended a game on a Tuesday night against my club Finn Harps, who were in the process of having a generally miserable season on the field, at Kingspan Century Park and it was noteworthy that there were still more away fans than home ones in what was an atrocious attendance. It is irrelevant if they have all the infrastructure imaginable if there is simply no support and no interest among their local community.

Terry
11/11/2009, 9:07 AM
That's what Mervue "planned".

Don't have a stand and probably never will.

What? the way salthill have gone about it is completely different than the way mervue did, and it is going ahead if you read mervues website. They are only getting past the locals complaints now.

Bluebeard
11/11/2009, 10:42 AM
Was there not some oddness a few years ago whereby there was some kind of odd "merger" between Salthill and Galway Utd? I seem to recall something in some newspaper speaking of Salthill actually in some strange legal way "owning" GUFC.

Before the bile at my ignorance is spewed, I ask this only for information - I recall something dimmly about it, but I reckoned folk on here would know the actual details.

harps1954
11/11/2009, 1:10 PM
What's the odds on Salthill not getting a FD Licence?

The reason I ask is because I reckon the FAI will cut the FD back to ten teams, and Derry City will start next season in the 'A' league.

Gaillimh Al
11/11/2009, 1:21 PM
Salthill yet to make decision on First Division participation:

http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/2770/

number16
11/11/2009, 2:18 PM
Salthill have applied for a FD licence, and assuming they get approved, will be in the FD next season.

Guitd
11/11/2009, 2:22 PM
Salthill have applied for a FD licence, and assuming they get approved, will be in the FD next season.

ya but where will they play ,dont think drum will meet standards and terryland is over used allready with galway united and mervue plus the 54 clubs in the galway league using it, cant see local clubs giving up their finals to allow salthill play there as well.

harps1954
11/11/2009, 2:36 PM
ya but where will they play ,dont think drum will meet standards and terryland is over used allready with galway united and mervue plus the 54 clubs in the galway league using it, cant see local clubs giving up their finals to allow salthill play there as well.

Plus, there isn't a hope in hell of the FAI allowing three clubs to use the one ground.

WoodquayBoy
11/11/2009, 2:45 PM
Which is why in an earlier post I expressed concern that United could be the ones to lose out, as I would imagine Mervue and Salthill would have part ownership of Terryland through the GDL

Riddickcule
11/11/2009, 2:56 PM
It's absolutly ridiculous having 3 clubs from a city of 70,000 people.

Having said that, they played fair and got here fairly, so who are we to stop them.
Would make far more sense to have say Tralee or Tullamore come into the 1st Div.
*sigh

Cosmo
11/11/2009, 3:35 PM

Whats with the monaghan bashing? If ye were gona put clubs out of the league cos of their low support, there'd be nobody left in the league.

Monaghan are a very well run club - have a great wee set up there. they've more right to be in league than most other clubs as they play by the rules. Fair play to them, if only more clubs were run aswel as them (bar the poor crowds obviously!!)

citybone
11/11/2009, 4:11 PM
I would have liked to have seen Salthill vs Mervue in a playoff and have 2 ten team leagues. Derry can start out in the A Championship.

Terry
11/11/2009, 7:44 PM
Mr Delaney was in Galway over the weekend stating that it would be bad for the city if salthill were to join the league, but, tony johnstone of salthill says that they "have the grounds and the player pool, to be successful in the first division".

Dodge
11/11/2009, 7:47 PM
Funny seeing some Galway fans saying they shouldn't be allowed in the league due to off field issues.

Will they ever believe in promotion due to on field performance? :)

Oh, and long live Monaghan (and all other clubs trying to do the right thing)!

Acornvilla
11/11/2009, 9:59 PM
am i the only one that thinks that galway united are the club that should not be in the league as by what everyone else is saying salthill and mervue have much better set ups?

Patrick Dunne
11/11/2009, 10:03 PM
United got more of a crowd in their last home match than Mervue got in their last 15 combined.

These junior clubs have little or no popular support. They will be doing well to pull 150 punters between them per match.

Acornvilla
11/11/2009, 10:11 PM
United got more of a crowd in their last home match than Mervue got in their last 15 combined.

These junior clubs have little or no popular support. They will be doing well to pull 150 punters between them per match.
the fact the galway utd dont own anything of their own is the problem for me and from what i'm reading also dont particularly have a youth setup? the crowds are the only ace they seem to hold?

WoodquayBoy
11/11/2009, 10:22 PM
United are not alone in not owning their own ground - Shamrock Rovers, Cork City Limerick, Derry City, Sporting Fingal, to name just 5, are in the same boat. The grounds of Mervue and Devon are not up to LOI standard. You got a problem with all them as well?

Patrick Dunne
11/11/2009, 10:25 PM
Crowds are the kernel of the issue. A LOI club with no popular support is doomed in the long-term.

See Kildare County, Kilkenny City, St Francis, Dublin City, etc.

United have a U20 team, it has been poor this season but has previously been reasonable enough. We had a proper underage system in the past, but it was abandoned after pressure from other local clubs.

Edit : Neither Salthill or Mervue have any seats, or any cover, at the grounds. Anyone can walk up and watch a match at Mervue, there is no boundary wall around the pitch.

I'm not having a go at these clubs, just presenting the reality of the situation.

gufct
11/11/2009, 10:27 PM
The reason United dont own anything is that they hve been players for over 30 years and without the input of many good men from GUFC Terryland would still be a kip. Galway United draws support from both Galway city and County while Mervue and salthill hardly draw support from their own areas OR CLUB FOR THAT MATTER.

What is on the cards in Galway is lunacy and both salthill & mervue could put ego before common sense and destroy the fantastic under age and junior set up they both have.There is only just over 70,000 people living in galway city and to have 3 loi teams is pure folly:mad:

Acornvilla
11/11/2009, 10:29 PM
i'm not picking a fight or suggesting i have a problem with any club i was just making an observation. if galway united didnt exist chances are one of the other two clubs would do as well if not better than united has done, but thats just one mans opinion

Patrick Dunne
11/11/2009, 10:33 PM
If United ceased to exist, one of the two other clubs might pick up 20-30 United supporters. As gufct says, no-one from outside these areas (or for that matter in these areas) will support them.

This has been proven in the 2009 season.

Acornvilla
11/11/2009, 10:56 PM
If United ceased to exist, one of the two other clubs might pick up 20-30 United supporters. As gufct says, no-one from outside these areas (or for that matter in these areas) will support them.

This has been proven in the 2009 season.
proven how? it cant be proved unless galway united didnt exist (which for the record i would not like to see happen)

gufct
11/11/2009, 11:25 PM
Mervue have had games this season when under 40 people paid in hardly enough to pay the refs what more proof do you want. Galway United is associated with Galway City & County while Mervue and salthill are 2 areas of the city.