PDA

View Full Version : Drogheda United 'Slow-witted Cloggers' according to Fintan O'Toole

Straightstory
07/11/2009, 11:38 AM
I see Fintan O'Toole in his best selling book 'Ship Of Fools' refers to Drogheda United as 'slow-witted cloggers'. (Page 95). I take from this that he fancies Galway in the play-off.

eelmonster
07/11/2009, 12:05 PM
I've always liked Fintan and his big old Terrence and Philip head.

SkStu
07/11/2009, 2:52 PM
if Drogs are slow witted cloggers, what does that make their local rivals?! :eek:

BohsPartisan
07/11/2009, 3:00 PM
What was the context of the comment?

CharlesThompson
09/11/2009, 10:59 AM
I'm sure it was in the section of the book that deals with the famous 'slow witting' (or threading) of footwear in Amsterdam. I'm nearly certain he was referring to the Dutch centre of Drogheda where these shoes (or Clogs as it were) were made for export using this unique technique.

Straightstory
10/11/2009, 9:32 AM
I'm sure it was in the section of the book that deals with the famous 'slow witting' (or threading) of footwear in Amsterdam. I'm nearly certain he was referring to the Dutch centre of Drogheda where these shoes (or Clogs as it were) were made for export using this unique technique.

Spot on!

White Horse
10/11/2009, 11:03 AM
I see Fintan O'Toole in his best selling book 'Ship Of Fools' refers to Drogheda United as 'slow-witted cloggers'. (Page 95). I take from this that he fancies Galway in the play-off.

Drogheda United got the Revenue Commissioners (ie. the tax payer) to fund a squad that won a league title. :eek:

They also contrived to get the FAI to buy their antiquated ground and take over the responsibility to bring it up tho the FAI mandatory standard. :eek::eek:

The phrase "slow witted" could not be further from the truth.

They are the Bertie Ahern ("the most devious, and the most cunning of them all") of LOI football