PDA

View Full Version : French Arrogance knows no bounds

Barna Bee
06/11/2009, 11:35 AM
Just reading in the papers today about the latest spat between Viera and Domenech regarding Vieras ommission. While the story centres around the fact that Viera reckons he should be in the squad while Domenech has other ideas, they both very much assume that Pat will be back for the WC in SA...well I very much hope we can stuff that back down the throats ....
see this as an example

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_5677893,00.html?

Noelys Guitar
06/11/2009, 11:45 AM
Just reading in the papers today about the latest spat between Viera and Domenech regarding Vieras ommission. While the story centres around the fact that Viera reckons he should be in the squad while Domenech has other ideas, they both very much assume that Pat will be back for the WC in SA...well I very much hope we can stuff that back down the throats ....
see this as an example

As Pierre finally made it out of the jungle he came across something hiding in the long grass.

bholg
06/11/2009, 12:08 PM
should that not be Senegalese arrogance?

Serb
06/11/2009, 12:34 PM
should that not be Senegalese arrogance?

Touché

jbyrne
06/11/2009, 12:49 PM
see this as an example

they know they are massive favourites and thats reflected in what they are saying. lets just hope they are a bit complacent. should be some two matches!

Junior
06/11/2009, 1:02 PM
"I just want him to go on improving and bring us his experience at the World Cup."

Domeneach quote above from the article. Come on lads lets make sure poor viera is long retired before France get to the next World Cup......

DeLorean
06/11/2009, 1:07 PM
Assuming these quotes were originally in French (?), I wouldn't take the translations too literally.

Emmet7
06/11/2009, 2:58 PM
I'd rather see Viera playing than not. He is slow and lacking match practise, just the kind of player you want to see on an opposing team.

But the French are always arrogant, they are famed for it. All the big countries are, Germany, England, etc.

spin
06/11/2009, 3:09 PM
Assuming these quotes were originally in French (?), I wouldn't take the translations too literally.

Je suis heureux que Pat revienne petit à petit au plus haut niveau. Je souhaite qu'il joue régulièrement et qu'à la Coupe du monde, il apporte son métier et son expérience.»

A translation would be:

"I am happy that Pat's getting back to the highest level little by little. I hope that he plays regularly and that at the World Cup he brings his craft and his experience"

frenchman
06/11/2009, 3:15 PM
not quite sure if it's arrogance or plain logic...... france are 9th in the world rankings and we are 34th. a different of 25 places . if we put ourselves in their shoes we would be playing lithuania (currently 59th).over two legs we would consider that the job was at least half done before a ball was kicked!!!!!!cyprus are 65 but over the two legs I think we would all be very happy and rightly so winning it over two legs 3-1 and the tie being already over even before keane scored considering the away goals..........all in all we must consider and accept that we are not favourites and rightly so. we may win but it would be a big surprize!!!

Emmet7
06/11/2009, 3:44 PM
Sounds like the French believe they are already qualified for the WC with the little formality of two matches against Ireland to be taken care of. I can even see Domenech trying out new players against Ireland, to give them a run out, as he prepares for the WC.

However, it's good to have confidence so you have to at least admire Domenech for that.

paul_oshea
06/11/2009, 3:47 PM
Sounds like the French believe they are already qualified for the WC with the little formality of two matches against Ireland to be taken care of. I can even see Domenech trying out new players against Ireland, to give them a run out, as he prepares for the WC.

However, it's good to have confidence so you have to at least admire Domenech for that.

Yes but confidence can be misplaced. :)

Scram
06/11/2009, 3:48 PM
Yes but confidence can be misplaced. :)

And we've got Eirebhoy on our side!!!

paul_oshea
06/11/2009, 3:49 PM
thanks scram that brought a smile to my face! :)

DeLorean
06/11/2009, 4:10 PM
Je suis heureux que Pat revienne petit à petit au plus haut niveau. Je souhaite qu'il joue régulièrement et qu'à la Coupe du monde, il apporte son métier et son expérience.»

A translation would be:

"I am happy that Pat's getting back to the highest level little by little. I hope that he plays regularly and that at the World Cup he brings his craft and his experience"

I don't know French but the quote from this doesn't seem to mention Coupe du Monde at all. Yahoo Sport (http://fr.sports.yahoo.com/06112009/70/qualification-2010-europe-vieira-contre-attaque.html)

"Je suis heureux que Pat revienne petit à petit au plus haut niveau. On a pesé le pour et le contre avec tout le staff ce matin. Je souhaite qu'il joue de plus en plus et qu'il apporte (à l'avenir) son métier, son expérience du plus haut niveau."

Can you translate that?

Noelys Guitar
06/11/2009, 4:19 PM
June 10th, 1988 early Sunday morning. Picked up the News of the World in Cologne train station. Back page was full of various ex-players (including Michael Robinson!) & general chancers predicting 3-0 for England. Best bit was inside of the back page. 'Who Would England Prefer In The Semi's?' I hope there is a whole week ahead of Domo talking about South Africa as a Given (pun intended). We might even have Gallas doing an impression of Norman Wisdom on the French coach as they enter Croker.

paul_oshea
06/11/2009, 4:20 PM
I think he is saying patrick needs more experience of playing at a high level. I think the second sentence says i look forward/or wish to seeing him get more games and playing at a higher level, perhaps that means world cup?!. Thats with my basic pigeon french so i dont really know.... was there more to the piece?

DeLorean
06/11/2009, 4:28 PM
was there more to the piece?

The Yahoo link on my post is the full report. I just used microsoft word to translate the part I quoted (very dodgy tanslation) but anyway....

"I am happy that Pat returns small to small on most level. One weighed for and it against with all staff this morning. I wish that it play more and more and that it brings (in the future) its trade, his experiment of the most level"

I think the important part might be the bit in brackets as that is what à l'avenir seems to mean. Not sure where the earlier version of the quote came from?

paul_oshea
06/11/2009, 4:30 PM
Like lloyd in dumb and dumber, "god i was way off" :D

DeLorean
06/11/2009, 4:35 PM
Like lloyd in dumb and dumber, "god i was way off" :D

Twas worth a shot anyway!!

Noelys Guitar
06/11/2009, 4:45 PM
The Yahoo link on my post is the full report. I just used microsoft word to translate the part I quoted (very dodgy tanslation) but anyway....

"I am happy that Pat returns small to small on most level. One weighed for and it against with all staff this morning. I wish that it play more and more and that it brings (in the future) its trade, his experiment of the most level"

I think the important part might be the bit in brackets as that is what à l'avenir seems to mean. Not sure where the earlier version of the quote came from?

I'm certain he said " I am happy we are playing Paddy. They will be down in Grogan's the night before the match whooping it up. I do not need our Paddy as these little pixies will not stop me from going on Safari. We will stop them in Le Havre". A little bit rusty on the oul lingo.

spin
06/11/2009, 5:57 PM
If you go to this link you'll be able to see lots of snippets of his press conf.

http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/HOME_Equipe-de-france.html

As I translated earlier, he deffo speaks of Pat coming back for the WC cos that's were his experiencetc counts.

He also spoke of bumping into Trapp and Lippi at a Milan game the other day (v. Real?) and having a bit of banter. He said it wasn't / isn't gonna be Italian v. French but two coaches who want their team to qualify for the world cup

Crosby87
07/11/2009, 12:04 AM
He also spoke of bumping into Trapp and Lippi at a Milan game the other day (v. Real?) and having a bit of banter. He said it wasn't / isn't gonna be Italian v. French but two coaches who want their team to qualify for the world cup

What? Why wouldnt it be?
Is it also clarified that the game will be played with a round ball?
This next week is going to be LONG. Every time I come on here I wish I had a one week time machine.
And its a reflex. I have to check this site constantly for "news." Oh well.

paul_oshea
07/11/2009, 11:14 AM
Dont worry bing, you aren't the only one, i think we are all in the same boat!