PDA

View Full Version : Shams to play a weakened side

Rovers Maniac
06/11/2009, 12:05 AM
I did hear something about this earlier in the day but thought it was just that. Anyway f them ah least we know who they want to go down and stay up, hopefully this will be the motivation needed to get the points tomorrow night. We must be the scapegoat for them losing to Cork and not beating a 10 man Galway in the last few weeks.

http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/2734/

Shamrock Rover’s manager Michael O’Neill’s pre-match admission that he will be fielding a weakened team in Friday night’s trip to face St.Patrick’s Athletic at Richmond Park will be music to the ears of anyone of a Pat’s persuasion as the Saint’s seek a positive result which could see them avoid the dreaded relegation play-offs.

When questioned as to whether he had a full squad at his disposal O’Neill revealed: “Aside from Ian (Bermingham), everyone else is available – but that doesn’t mean they’ll play.”

Adding: “For example, we’ve four players who are a yellow card away from receiving suspensions, so I’ll give them a rest. I’m also going to rest some key players.”

A declaration that would have had both Galway United manager Ian Foster and Sligo Rovers boss Paul Cook more than a little concerned was diluted somewhat by O’Neill’s assertion that his players will be going out to the win the game and end their momentous season on a positive note.

“We’re going there to win the game and finish the season on a high. We’ve a very good record in Dublin derbies to maintain as well. We’ve won five, drawn one and lost one.”

“We’ve played Saint Pat’s four times so far – three times in the league and once in the EA Sports Cup – and won them all, so obviously we’d like to keep that run going.”

With Pat’s, Sligo and Galway all hoping the other will do their own relegation fears a favour perhaps the biggest favour of all could come from a most unlikely source in the shape of the Saint’s capital city rivals.

dong
06/11/2009, 12:16 AM
Shouldn't need any motivation other than the fact that they are playing for survival.
If that's not enough for them I don't know what is.

Rovers Maniac
06/11/2009, 12:24 AM
Shouldn't need any motivation other than the fact that they are playing for survival.
If that's not enough for them I don't know what is.

True Dong maybe focus would have been a better word. To be fair Pats would need need to beat Shams by 8 to stay up if we won 1-0 and i can't see that happening but by the looks of things they will win, i would say there is a bit of mind games go on from O'Neill to trying to put an extra bit of pressure on us.

MMVIII
06/11/2009, 12:25 AM
How dare they do that to us? Pathetic.

:D

We shouldnt need to worry about this game. Were well able to beat Drogs.

Rovers Maniac
06/11/2009, 12:28 AM
How dare they do that to us? Pathetic.

:D

We shouldnt need to worry about this game. Were well able to beat Drogs.

Spot on our destiny is in our own hands. It's up to us to win.

Rovers1
06/11/2009, 11:01 AM
Beat Drogs...that's all we have to do. **** Pats, Shams and the Krusties. Do what we have to do.

dong
06/11/2009, 12:39 PM
From what Delaney was saying that appears to be likely alright Rory.
Then again, it was Delaney saying it!