PDA

View Full Version : O'Grady conundrum

WoodquayBoy
05/11/2009, 5:37 PM
Genuine question - I heard that Conor O'Grady may be missing the Cup final through suspension.
Which option would Sligo fans go for, a play-off (which ye'd breeze through) where O'Grady could serve the suspension and be available for the final; or 'sod that', win tomorrow and have your captain missing the final?

brianw82
05/11/2009, 5:42 PM
sod that

WoodquayBoy
05/11/2009, 5:51 PM
Thought as much, I'd be the same, just wondering how crucial fans feel O'Grady is in midfield

Brian Boru
05/11/2009, 5:54 PM
Thought as much, I'd be the same, just wondering how crucial fans feel O'Grady is in midfield

very crucial. It would be lunacy to try to lose a vital relegation battle by the way.

sligofan4ever
05/11/2009, 7:10 PM
We'll cope without Conor, not like hes our best player or most influential player. He got a yellow card for something he did which he was never going to get away with, atleast he'll earn not to handle the ball when theres ABSOLUTLY no reason to, or ever! I'd be more concerned if Blinkhorn is missing TBH, maybe a Morrison-Cretaro partnership upfront might work if Blinkhorn misses out ?

WoodquayBoy
05/11/2009, 8:11 PM
Yeah, from what I've seen of him, I would have Blinkhorn as one of your best players this season along with Raf

kkontour
05/11/2009, 8:20 PM
We'll cope without Conor, not like hes our best player or most influential player. He got a yellow card for something he did which he was never going to get away with, atleast he'll earn not to handle the ball when theres ABSOLUTLY no reason to, or ever! I'd be more concerned if Blinkhorn is missing TBH, maybe a Morrison-Cretaro partnership upfront might work if Blinkhorn misses out ?

And learn to keep his mouth shut for the other yellows.

sligofan4ever
05/11/2009, 8:31 PM
And learn to keep his mouth shut for the other yellows.

Whatever he says the referee's that gets him those yellows, im fairly sure hes saying what we're all thinking (and at times shouting anyways) :D.

prodsc
05/11/2009, 9:22 PM
I understand that his suspension comes into play from wed 11 nov which is day after the first play off. Deffo don't want to get beat by Drogheda at Showgies on Tuesday and then have to endure a two legged tie against Sp Fing or Shels before the Cup Final.

Feel sorry for Conor though. He will have to stop the foul language against the ref (who gave the wrong decision) and a daft hand ball.

Must try to get a handle on these suspensions for next season, can't they just be automatic after the required number? Why does a Committee have to sit(once a month) if it's mandatory? Not looking for excuses though.......

ps. anyone know about Blikkhorn for the final?

CF1989
05/11/2009, 9:55 PM
absolutly gutted for him, of all the people to miss the game.

Redie
06/11/2009, 8:43 AM
I understand that his suspension comes into play from wed 11 nov which is day after the first play off. Deffo don't want to get beat by Drogheda at Showgies on Tuesday and then have to endure a two legged tie against Sp Fing or Shels before the Cup Final.

Feel sorry for Conor though. He will have to stop the foul language against the ref (who gave the wrong decision) and a daft hand ball.

Must try to get a handle on these suspensions for next season, can't they just be automatic after the required number? Why does a Committee have to sit(once a month) if it's mandatory? Not looking for excuses though.......

Fairly certain he is OK for the final

dublinred
06/11/2009, 10:52 AM

Would be great if the setanta cup match had to be postponed to thursday, lets hope it rains loads in Cork on monday.

neutrino
06/11/2009, 12:54 PM

If Conor is out, it's a loss no matter what way you look at it. yes it was stupid yellow, but talk of him learning not to handle the ball ? I think the lad is under rated. When he doesnt play there is a hole in midfield and there's no getting around that. Awful shame if he's missing the cup final.

bingoballs
06/11/2009, 1:58 PM
He is our best central midielder by a country mile and his performances have improved as the season has progressed. He is a massive loss for the cup final. Would like to see Morrison and Ventre in midfield against Cork in the Setanta Cup and see if it could work out, assuming Morrison is fit.

dong
06/11/2009, 2:00 PM
If Conor is out, it's a loss no matter what way you look at it. yes it was stupid yellow, but talk of him learning not to handle the ball ? I think the lad is under rated. When he doesnt play there is a hole in midfield and there's no getting around that. Awful shame if he's missing the cup final.

Agree with you there neutrino. It can be hard to pinpoint O'Grady's contribution on the ball but he is a competitor who gets about the pitch and puts in plenty of tackles.
We are without a doubt weaker without him in the side. I dread to see Richie Ryan on the pitch. He gives us nothing these days in my opinion and should be off loaded in the transfer window. If he even looked fit you might have some sympathy for him.
Fingal are a decent side with a good few good pros in the team. They gave us the run around for long spells in the EA Cup game and were unlucky to lose out. Mainly due to the excellence of Dick Brush in goals it has to be said.

Shedzer
09/11/2009, 6:11 PM
What does the postponement of tonights match mean to O'Grady now? Can he play in the final as the setanta cup game will have to be re-scheduled

sligofan4ever
09/11/2009, 6:17 PM
What does the postponement of tonights match mean to O'Grady now? Can he play in the final as the setanta cup game will have to be re-scheduled

If its played after the 11th then he might have a chance of playing the final.

srfc1928
09/11/2009, 6:53 PM
I dont think it means anything. AFAIK suspensions cannot be served in the Setanta Cup. I vaguely remember years ago Dublin clubs would use or rearange Leinster Senior Cup games so players could use these games to serve suspensions

Bravo
09/11/2009, 7:03 PM
Hopefully, it will be played soon and Conor wont miss the final, O'Grady's presence in the team is crucial like Peers, he's only really appriciated when he's not playing.

Martinho II
10/11/2009, 11:02 AM
why was the setanta cup match postponed lads?

Rovers1
10/11/2009, 12:23 PM
Flooded pitch, bit of a **** after travellin 5/6 hours. It stopped raining about 5 mins after we left too.