PDA

View Full Version : Alan Kelly to referee high profile international fixture

Réiteoir
05/11/2009, 10:58 AM
Alan Kelly to referee high profile international fixture

Irish referee Alan Kelly will officiate some of the best players in the world later this month when he takes charge of the friendly match between Spain and Argentina in Madrid on November 14th.

Kelly, who hails from Cork, will lead a delegation of Irish officials who will take charge of the high profile friendly match, with Marc Douglas and Damien McGrath having been selected as Assistant Referees for the match.

"I'm absolutely thrilled with the appointment," he said. "It's a friendly match but it is a very prestigious game between two of the best teams in the world. This will be my 12th international match so I have been getting a lot of experience at this level. I have done World Cup qualifiers and European Championship qualifiers, as well as some big friendly matches such as France v Denmark, but this game will be right up there in terms of prestige."

Kelly, who has never refereed Spain or Argentina at senior level before, says that appointments such as this reflect very well on the work being carried out by Irish referees.

"The last two years have been very good years in terms of the calibre of matches being given to Irish officials," he said. "It's fantastic to receive recognition like this, both for the panel of Irish referees and also for the FAI. This appointment really tops off a great year but, to be honest, I won't even start thinking about the Spain v Argentina match until after the domestic season is over. I am refereeing St. Patrick's Athletic v Shamrock Rovers on Friday night and that is a more important game for me because there is a lot at stake in that match."

November will also mark an important fixture for another Irish referee, as Hilda McDermott takes charge of her last international fixture before retiring from international football. McDermott will referee the Women's World Cup qualifying match between Greece and Georgia on November 26th and will be assisted by Paula Brady and Ciaran Delaney.

05/11/2009, 11:31 AM
Damien McGrath isn't fit to referee the Mayo League never mind internationals.

dcfcsteve
05/11/2009, 12:20 PM
Kelly is the best ref the league has, IMO.

Doubtless people will retort with reference to long-held specific grudges over decisions he's made 'against them'.... :)

Rovers Maniac
05/11/2009, 12:23 PM

Doubtless people will retort with reference to long-held specific grudges over decisions he's made 'against them'.... :)

To be honest he is miles ahead of the rest of them, i thought he was top class in the Shams v Bohs match a few weeks ago.

eamo1
05/11/2009, 12:26 PM
To paraphrase Dr.Cox in Scrubs-"ive seen smokers live to be 100 and Tri-athletes drop dead at 20 but i NEVER thought i see..... Alan Kelly take charge of an International game like this".The guy is beyond poor,the amount of stone wall peno's he's turned down for us over the years is unreal.

dcfcsteve
05/11/2009, 12:40 PM
To paraphrase Dr.Cox in Scrubs-"ive seen smokers live to be 100 and Tri-athletes drop dead at 20 but i NEVER thought i see..... Alan Kelly take charge of an International game like this".The guy is beyond poor,the amount of stone wall peno's he's turned down for us over the years is unreal.

Refer to the second-to-last quote above yours......

superfrank
05/11/2009, 12:47 PM
I think it's great an LoI ref has got such a high-profile match. Let's see how he does with them before he gets put down.

I find him to be overly fussy at times but, for the most part, he is a very smart referee and can handle players a lot better than the others.

Macy
05/11/2009, 1:19 PM
Talk about a back handed compliment...

marinobohs
05/11/2009, 4:26 PM
Definitly think alan kelly is streets ahead of anybody in the league

I made a similar point in a different thread recently, but to be fair the bar is not too high on "best in League". he lets a lot of stuff go but often this results in a more flowing game (usually) so it is good and bad.
Good to see any representation from the League so go on you langer !.

L.T.F.C.
05/11/2009, 8:19 PM

the best of a load of shiite.
the standard has often drove me spare. FAI head of licensing and something told me that they started a program almost ten years ago to improve the quality but why in that time no significant improvements been made? its a dose of arse is what it is.

Kildareman
05/11/2009, 8:28 PM
Being the best of a bad bunch doesn't necessarily means he's good.
He's been involved in many a LOI game and general opinion of him is, to say the least, poor.
"You can fool some of the people some of the time, but not........"

dcfcsteve
06/11/2009, 12:44 AM
the best of a load of shiite.
the standard has often drove me spare. FAI head of licensing and something told me that they started a program almost ten years ago to improve the quality but why in that time no significant improvements been made? its a dose of arse is what it is.

I'm not aware of a league anywhere in the world who's fans think their refs are good though.

Even the English Premiersh!t - the world's richest league - sees its refs savaged on a regular basis by managers, fans and commentators.

Maybe being a ref just exposes the fact that human's get things wrong - regardless of the league or standard !

mypost
06/11/2009, 4:57 AM

Do you see many LOI games?

If you do, you'll know there's a certain chant exclusive to him. There's a reason for that. The rest of Europe will no doubt learn it in time.

This bloke thinks green and white hoops clash with all white in friendlies. When he orders the home side to change, he doesn't notice the same two teams wearing the same colour shorts. That takes some intelligence!!

That's before I begin talking about his reffing "qualities".

gspain
06/11/2009, 7:35 AM
I've seen an awful lot worse than Alan Kelly doing high profile games across europe.

He is a good ref - the best in the league imo.

Some on here would be up in arms if our league gets criticised in other ways so credit where credit is due and best of luck to him.

sligored
06/11/2009, 8:54 AM
I've seen an awful lot worse than Alan Kelly doing high profile games across europe.

He is a good ref - the best in the league imo.

Some on here would be up in arms if our league gets criticised in other ways so credit where credit is due and best of luck to him.

agreed , alan kelly is the best ref by a long way- he sets a standard that other league refs are a long way short of.

Mayo Red
06/11/2009, 9:12 AM
Kelly does like that camera though!!:D

dcfcsteve
06/11/2009, 1:18 PM
Do you see many LOI games?

If you do, you'll know there's a certain chant exclusive to him. There's a reason for that. The rest of Europe will no doubt learn it in time.

This bloke thinks green and white hoops clash with all white in friendlies. When he orders the home side to change, he doesn't notice the same two teams wearing the same colour shorts. That takes some intelligence!!

That's before I begin talking about his reffing "qualities".

Please refer to the second half of Post No. 3 in this thread....

mypost
06/11/2009, 3:50 PM

I've seen an awful lot worse from Alan Kelly.

centre mid
06/11/2009, 3:58 PM
I hate when he is down to ref us, although I'd probably say that about most of them. Its a greast honour for him personally and the refs association. It will be good to judge him from an unbiased position.

geezer
06/11/2009, 9:08 PM
daddy sticks him on every live game on telly

WoodquayBoy
07/11/2009, 10:04 AM
I think
(a) he is the best in the league
(b) he is actually a decent ref.
Yeah, he was given decisions against us, but he has given decisions against every team. Agree with GSpain, some good news story for the league and people want to knock it. Hope he has a stormer, might actually watch this game (if it is on TV) seen as he is reffing

Dyl10
07/11/2009, 1:58 PM
Talk about a back handed compliment...

As Frankie Boyle said "Best looking man..............In the burns unit"

He loves to flash the red card, I wonder who he'll send walking in this game.

Dyl10
07/11/2009, 1:59 PM
daddy sticks him on every live game on telly

So true

SkStu
07/11/2009, 2:58 PM
hes a decent ref, has improved over the last 4 years and actually runs games fairly now.

i still think of him as a floppy haired wuffter though.

TheBoss
14/11/2009, 11:36 PM
Anyone know how he did in the game ?

superfrank
14/11/2009, 11:54 PM
Seven yellows in the game but according to El País the ref was Levan Paniashivili.

Mr Maroon
15/11/2009, 12:10 AM
Seven yellows in the game but according to El País the ref was Levan Paniashivili.

Levan Paniashivili seems to have been ref for Spain U21's match with Finland.

It says Alan Kelly for the senior match here.
http://www.goal.com/en/match/42381/spain-vs-argentina/lineup-stats

Réiteoir
15/11/2009, 3:51 PM
He did do it in the end - as shown in the photo below

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/93055954.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921CC759DF4EBAC47D017D89C99884E4253 FC1D7D58C8E17969AF9C4F8270DB29F6