PDA

View Full Version : RTE secure rights - T.V Rights dispute for France away 2nd leg

Pages : [1] 2

shep
05/11/2009, 10:14 AM
Just heard on radio on the way to work that French tv companies looking for 1.5 million or something for rights to away leg and that it might not be on.

Anyone hear anymore on this?? Could we be facing a Turkey away situation in euro playoff???

Emmet7
05/11/2009, 10:44 AM
Should RTE not in turn charge 1.5 million for the home match?

Then the two sides agree to cancel out payments?

paul_oshea
05/11/2009, 10:51 AM
ah but it mightn't be teh same companies that took up the away rights as the home rights..so rte could have already sold to a different company.

RonnieB
05/11/2009, 10:54 AM
Anyone hear anymore on this?? Could we be facing a Turkey away situation in euro playoff???

Christ the memories of the away leg against Turkey I think I ended up nearly in Belmullet after finding a pub showing it.

paul_oshea
05/11/2009, 10:58 AM
what was it being shown on one of those mad foreign dishes that people used to have? not many had those back then.

M@ttitude
Sky will pay for it anyway... If we get a result in Croker, the 2nd leg will be watched by millions in the UK..

DeLorean
Christ the memories of the away leg against Turkey I think I ended up nearly in Belmullet after finding a pub showing it.

I just remember watching the Turkey match in a pub. Can't remember any complications, was it not on RTE?

jbyrne
05/11/2009, 11:11 AM
I just remember watching the Turkey match in a pub. Can't remember any complications, was it not on RTE?

star tv were looking for mad money for the rights. then someone worked out that by adjusting the sat dishes a bit the turkish coverage could be picked up and the pubs were crammed as a result

i think the fai are getting about €5m from french tv for the CP match

geysir
05/11/2009, 11:19 AM
Sky and RTE are making a joint bid, if they are not successful then neither will be showing the game.

lionelhutz
05/11/2009, 11:36 AM
Oh God - I'm having flashbacks to 1999 with my dad driving around Limerick for an hour looking for a bar that was showing the match!! Ended up in the South Court to watch the last half hour - the only highlight was watching Cascarino getting punched in the face!!

an_ceannaire
05/11/2009, 11:42 AM
Sky will pay for it anyway... If we get a result in Croker, the 2nd leg will be watched by millions in the UK..

Not according to newstalk last night on off the ball. Sky are showing no interest in it and if the joint bid with RTE is not successful they are not going to pursue it :( this could be a disaster. Any chance Eurosport might show it :confused:

elroy
05/11/2009, 11:47 AM
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2009/1103/1224257964009.html

FAI getting 5m for the home game.

Im sure some sort of agreement will be reached, this sort of story is often leaked as a scaremongering tactic. The only time in recent history where I can remember it actually becoming reality was the Turkey game, that was a disaster not been shown on tv.

Hopefully the french will have more sense. €1.5m does sound alot for one game but if they dont get the cash from rte/sky, then they will be left with nothing, so hopefully an agreement will be reached.

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/boysingreen/news.asp?n=37487
Ill be in the SDeF anyway :D

John83
05/11/2009, 11:48 AM
Eurosport wouldn't have that kind of money.

jbyrne
05/11/2009, 11:50 AM
Sky and RTE are making a joint bid, if they are not successful then neither will be showing the game.

if they dont sell to these two then who will they sell to? i heard that rte have offered 600k so i'm sure a deal will be done

Torn-Ado
05/11/2009, 12:00 PM
The Turkey game was a disaster. That was a radio job for me I remember.

geysir
05/11/2009, 12:01 PM
The 600k is a joint bid if the report in the Examiner is accurate
http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/cash-row-threatens-tv-coverage-of-paris-play-off-104910.html

It would be more simpler if there was a fixed price based on expected tv audience.

DeLorean
05/11/2009, 12:15 PM
Eurosport wouldn't have that kind of money.

I think they're showing Alpine Skiing and Mixed Martial Arts that day anyway!

gspain
05/11/2009, 12:33 PM
The French Football Federation hold the rights unless they've already sold the Irish rights to French tv.

This happened with a key France v Scotland match back in the late 80's/early90's. It wasn't shown live in the end in Scotland.

I suspect a deal will be done though. Most pubs will have the capability today anyway to pick up French tv however it will be a major blow for those with kids who want to see it. I really hope a deal is done.

geysir
05/11/2009, 12:52 PM
According to the Examiner report "the negotiations are in progress with a sports agency working on behalf of the FFF".

What French tv channel is showing the game?

paul_oshea
05/11/2009, 12:57 PM
looks like the small nation getting screwed again.

Damn those froggies :evil:

geysir
05/11/2009, 1:02 PM
I suppose getting tanked in the first leg is the main risk RTE would be mulling over when looking at the fees.

Murfinator
05/11/2009, 1:29 PM
I don't think France has tanked any team of any sort of half decent standard in the last decade so I wouldn't worry too much about that happening. :rolleyes:

paul_oshea
05/11/2009, 1:31 PM
Murfinator, that sorta talk gets people banned around here. Down with that. especially the rolly at the end!!!!

endabob1
05/11/2009, 1:34 PM
For the Johnny Foreigners amongst us, ESPN look like they've got the home leg, so we'll have the dulcet tones of Tommy Smyth to look forward to, oh joy

EastTerracer
05/11/2009, 2:38 PM
For the Johnny Foreigners amongst us, ESPN look like they've got the home leg, so we'll have the dulcet tones of Tommy Smyth to look forward to, oh joy

Thank god I'm traveling to both games - I don't think I could stand listening to Tommy and his onion bag $hite.

http://nomoreonionbags.com/blog/?page_id=16

mr.untitled
05/11/2009, 2:38 PM
does that mean that we wont have to pay $20 to watch it in a pub here in the US?

EastTerracer
05/11/2009, 2:46 PM
does that mean that we wont have to pay $20 to watch it in a pub here in the US?

I'm afraid ESPN don't have the US rights - looks like Setanta Premium again so either $20 in the pub or $14.99 at www.setanta-i.com (http://www.setanta-i.com)

paul_oshea
05/11/2009, 2:50 PM
the pub is good craic though/

Claret Murph
05/11/2009, 3:10 PM
the pub is good craic though/

Only when Ireland are winning otherwise it's Paddy know it all and I told you Ireland are crap . I never watch an Irish fgame in the pub if I can help it because of that .

gspain
05/11/2009, 3:12 PM
According to the Examiner report "the negotiations are in progress with a sports agency working on behalf of the FFF".

What French tv channel is showing the game?

French away game on 18/11 confirmed for TF1 which is Free to air on Atlantic Bird 3 and available with a card on viaccess and seca. Pubs with a motorised dish that show 3pm saturday English football will all have it and probably quite a few more.

IsMiseSean
05/11/2009, 3:33 PM
What about that crappy french channel on sky, tv5 (i think)...
I've watched french rugby matches on it before!!

Slim Pickings
05/11/2009, 6:14 PM
Were talking about this on the Last Word a few minutes ago. Joint RTE/Sky bid for e600k, FFF holding out for e1.5m because they're miffed the FAI got e5m by selling the rights to some rogue French TV station who outbid TF1 (French equivalent of RTE). Also mentioned that RTE won't be dramatically increasing their bid because they simply don't have the money.

irishfan86
05/11/2009, 6:52 PM
What about that crappy french channel on sky, tv5 (i think)...
I've watched french rugby matches on it before!!

Not sure if this helps you, but TV5 Canada are showing only the first leg here. Maybe TV5 in Europe have the rights for the second leg, but it doesn't appear we're getting it here, so I'll probably be resorting to a web-stream.

twoenz
05/11/2009, 10:39 PM
The 600k is a joint bid if the report in the Examiner is accurate
http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/cash-row-threatens-tv-coverage-of-paris-play-off-104910.html

It would be more simpler if there was a fixed price based on expected tv audience.

This would be a prime match for Sky, a joint bid of €600,000 seems pretty small in all honesty.

Metrostars
05/11/2009, 11:00 PM
I'm afraid ESPN don't have the US rights - looks like Setanta Premium again so either $20 in the pub or $14.99 at www.setanta-i.com (http://www.setanta-i.com)

I've read that Setanta has sold the 1st leg rights to TV5 in both the US and Canada. The 2nd leg will be on Setanta's premium service and both legs on a 1-day delay on the regular Setanta channels.

That's ok for be as the 1st leg is on the Saturday afternoon, no prob to head to the pub for that.

Colbert Report
05/11/2009, 11:29 PM
I've read that Setanta has sold the 1st leg rights to TV5 in both the US and Canada. The 2nd leg will be on Setanta's premium service and both legs on a 1-day delay on the regular Setanta channels.

That's ok for be as the 1st leg is on the Saturday afternoon, no prob to head to the pub for that.

So let me get this straight: here in Canada we'll get the first leg on TV5, but the second leg will be available only on in pubs and on setanta-i?

What about if we don't get TV5 on cable? Can we pay to watch it on setanta-i instead?

irishfan86
05/11/2009, 11:37 PM
So let me get this straight: here in Canada we'll get the first leg on TV5, but the second leg will be available only on in pubs and on setanta-i?

What about if we don't get TV5 on cable? Can we pay to watch it on setanta-i instead?

Call a pub that has TV5, and watch the first leg there.

For the second leg, watch it on a web-stream on myp2p.eu, atdhe or rojadirecta for free.

Crosby87
05/11/2009, 11:48 PM

You cant get Setanta Premium in your house its only in Bars. The other Sentanta yes but premium no.
I have been paying $20 for many years now but what are you going to do.
A lot of peole dont know this but the people collecting the money in NYC bars are often directly from Setanta. Very very strange. Can you imagine HBO PPV putting collecting people in City bars for a boxing match?

I actually think this falls under the anti trust laws and with a few friends who are US attorneys and drinking buddies, I would bring it up except I'm afraid it wouldnt be on at all here then.

irishfan86
05/11/2009, 11:54 PM
I can't really speak about how it's done in the States, but I watched some 6 nations down at the pub and a certain percentage of the $20 went to a rugby club that was linked to the pub as a fundraiser kind of thing.

Still a scam for a one time thing but whatever, you do what you have to to follow your team. It's been mostly web-streams for me over the past few years.

Colbert Report
06/11/2009, 12:05 AM
I actually prefer paying the $20 and watching it at pubs, the atmosphere is great, I've been going to almost every match for nearly a decade now.

My concern is that I might not be able to get to a pub, I'm working in a remote location. I don't like watching the free streams online as they always tend to freeze and be fuzzy, this is far too important a set of matches to gamble on that. I've no problem paying the $14.99 to watch it on Setanta-i, but will it definitely be available on setanata-i? Or is it available on Setanta premium only, meaning that I'll have no choice but to watch it in a pub? Thanks.

Crosby87
06/11/2009, 12:05 AM
i AGREE 86.
I expect to be charged for a game like that. Actually my problem is the $8 pints.
And you need a small loan to get a decent martini.

Crosby87
06/11/2009, 12:08 AM
I actually prefer paying the $20 and watching it at pubs, the atmosphere is great, I've been going to almost every match for nearly a decade now.

My concern is that I might not be able to get to a pub, I'm working in a remote location. I don't like watching the free streams online as they always tend to freeze and be fuzzy, this is far too important a set of matches to gamble on that. I've no problem paying the $14.99 to watch it on Setanta-i, but will it definitely be available on setanata-i? Or is it available on Setanta premium only, meaning that I'll have no choice but to watch it in a pub? Thanks.

Colbert I am surprised the pubs in canada even tend to show Ireland games PPV.
Down hear they are hard to find outside of Boston and NY.
I noticed recently when watching on stream some links have gotten MUCH better BTW. If you look in the right place you can often find a link that is much better than what Nevada Smiths has on the 52 inch TV's.........

mypost
06/11/2009, 12:08 AM
The Turkey game was a disaster. That was a radio job for me I remember.

That game was brutal, in more ways than one.

If it happens this time, unlikely to create such chaos, with all the internet streams and pan-satellites available.

If you see a i-cafe packed near you at 8pm on the 18th, something important might be on. :D

Crosby87
06/11/2009, 12:14 AM
Honestly, what are the odds the game will not be on in Ireland? Come on.

irishfan86
06/11/2009, 12:46 AM
Colbert, not sure if the UEFA official site still do it, but I paid for a stream that worked flawlessly (was about $14) during one of the Slovakia games during Stan's reign.

It had no commentary, but you could hear the crowd and it was kind of cool in that way, and the video was very good and didn't cut out at all.

Dodge
06/11/2009, 8:39 AM
Keep your eye on this page (http://liveonsat.com/dailypage.php?start_dd=14&start_mm=11&start_yyyy=2009&end_dd=14&end_mm=11&end_yyyy=2009) for TV stations showing the 1st leg

and this page (http://liveonsat.com/dailypage.php?start_dd=18&start_mm=11&start_yyyy=2009&end_dd=18&end_mm=11&end_yyyy=2009) for the second leg. So far TFI in France adn Supersport in South Africa the only broadcasters showing the 2nd leg. Eurosport have delayed rights

The gme will definitely be on TV in Ireland though

paul_oshea
06/11/2009, 9:56 AM
My concern is that I might not be able to get to a pub, I'm working in a remote location. Or is it available on Setanta premium only, meaning that I'll have no choice but to watch it in a pub? Thanks.

Im pretty sure there are pubs back in connemara

Crosby, id keep quiet on the martini thing if i were you :D Unless buying for someone else, then its money well spent ;)

SuperDave
06/11/2009, 11:00 AM
does nobody here know about myp2p? really?

EastTerracer
06/11/2009, 11:46 AM

CR - I believe both games are on Setanta Premium (and setanta-i) in the US (and I would expect the same in Canada). They may have sold a share in the rights to TV5 but I suspect that was only to cater for French-speaking viewers (and to make a few quid on the side).

http://www.setanta.com/ca/TV-Listings/Venue-Finder/

Personally, I can't stand watching the game in the pub because, as someone mentioned above, you end up standing beside some idiot who thinks he's an expert but doesn't even know the players. Thankfully I will not be in New York for these games as I'll be in Croker and the Stade de France instead :)

evin_gla
12/11/2009, 11:15 AM
Maybe the Guardian are behind the times but seems from this that still no resolution:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/nov/12/republic-of-ireland-france-television