PDA

View Full Version : German and Swedish referees for play-offs

eaststand85
03/11/2009, 4:26 PM
Anyone familiar with these referees?

The home leg of the Republic of Ireland’s World Cup play-off against France will be refereed by a team of German officials, led by 34-year-old Felix Brych.

A doctor of law from Munich, he was awarded his Fifa badge in 2007 and is a regular at international and Champions League matches. He takes charge of tonight’s clash between AC Milan and Real Madrid at the San Siro.

Brych will be assisted at Croke Park on November 14th by Thorsten Schiffner and Mark Borsch, while Michael Weiner takes the fourth official duties.

A Swedish team of officials led by Martin Hansson will take charge of the second leg at Stade de France on Wednesday November 18th.

The 38-year-old fireman from Holmsjo has been an international referee since 2001.

Hansson awarded Liverpool a controversial penalty in the 95th minute of their Champions League clash with Atletico Madrid in November 2008 at Anfield, when Steven Gerrard was taken down by Mariano Pernía.

The Liverpool captain got up to score the penalty and ensure a 1-1 draw, but afterwards admitted “if it happened at the other end we would be livid."

Larsson took charge of the final of last summer’s Confederations Cup in Johannesburg, which saw Brazil come from 2-0 down to beat the United States 3-2, and is on the list to officiate at the 2010 World Cup.

He will be joined by Stefan Wittberg and Fredrik Nilsson, with Martin Ingvarsson looking after the fourth official duties in Paris.

(http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer/2009/1103/1224258018218.html)

magnumpi
03/11/2009, 4:31 PM
Hansson awarded Liverpool a controversial penalty in the 95th minute of their Champions League clash with Atletico Madrid in November 2008 at Anfield, when Steven Gerrard was taken down by Mariano Pernía.

The Liverpool captain got up to score the penalty and ensure a 1-1 draw, but afterwards admitted “if it happened at the other end we would be livid."

(http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer/2009/1103/1224258018218.html)

sounds ominous...... last minute dodgy decision awarded in favour of the home side. not what we wanna see in paris.

DeLorean
03/11/2009, 4:37 PM
Not familiar with either of them. Will watch the Milan-Real match tonight to see what he's like. The other fella seems a bit worrying. Giving a big team a ridiculous 95th minute penalty in a hostile atmosphere, sounds like something that would happen to us!

SuperDave
03/11/2009, 4:51 PM
Not familiar with either of them. Will watch the Milan-Real match tonight to see what he's like. The other fella seems a bit worrying. Giving a big team a ridiculous 95th minute penalty in a hostile atmosphere, sounds like something that would happen to us!

Well we did get that one at home to Geprgia, remember?

DeLorean
03/11/2009, 4:55 PM

Yeah, this campaign in general has been quite kind. That fella was Scandinavian as well so you'd never know!!

Noelys Guitar
03/11/2009, 5:03 PM
Hard to tell. I remember Gerrard diving in that match to get the late goal. Hopefully things even up ie we get two penos and they get none.

elroy
03/11/2009, 5:10 PM
I do think having a high profile manager helps in these scenarios, Europe and the football world in general is more likely to take notice of Trappatoni than say Staunton. If Trap made legitimate compliants about a referring performance he would make the sports news in many european countries whereas if Stan did..........

SuperDave
03/11/2009, 5:14 PM
I do think having a high profile manager helps in these scenarios, Europe and the football world in general is more likely to take notice of Trappatoni than say Staunton. If Trap made legitimate compliants about a referring performance he would make the sports news in many european countries whereas if Stan did..........

Stan won us a penalty from Anders Frisk, no less! Admittedly while he was still on the pitch but still...

geysir
03/11/2009, 5:37 PM
They say Felix lost his virginity at Lansdowne where he referred his first international, the 4 nil drubbing by Holland.

I'd prefer to have the hard áss German in Paris

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0d8namk9w58rB/340x.jpg

superfrank
03/11/2009, 7:22 PM
The one in the Milan Real match gave a very harsh peno to Milan when they were 1-0 down.

EDIT: He just disallowed a second Milan goal for a "foul" by Pato. It was a terrible decision.

carloz
03/11/2009, 7:24 PM
Swedish ref is bound to help us out. We all remember Anders Frisk:D

Drumcondra 69er
03/11/2009, 7:25 PM
That lad reffing tonight is poison, I'd nearly guarantee he'll screw us over, he'll be bricking it about getting something wrong for Platini.

DeLorean
03/11/2009, 7:33 PM
The one in the Milan Real match gave a very harsh peno to Milan when they were 1-0 down.

EDIT: He just disallowed a second Milan goal for a "foul" by Pato. It was a terrible decision.

Zambrotta wasn't even claiming a penalty and those fellas claim everything.

SUB of the day
03/11/2009, 7:42 PM
That German ref is having a shocking game, his interpretation of the advantage rule is bizarre.In a classic case of second thoughts after rewarding Milan the penalty, he disallowed aperfectly good goal from the Rossoneiri.........should be quite a night in Croker, I feel aggrieved at this guy already!

carloz
03/11/2009, 7:58 PM
I think its more of an advantage that we have this dodgy German ref in Dublin rather than Paris. Maybe he is just a home town referee. Id expect our crowd to be pretty vocal so that might affect him

blobbyblob
03/11/2009, 8:02 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felix_Brych

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Hansson

Torn-Ado
03/11/2009, 8:21 PM
Speaking of Anders Frisk, i met him at the IFK Göteborg v ÅIK Stockholm title decider on Sunday. 'Howya Anders, cheers for those two penalties by the way. You got it spot on.'

He knew exactly what I was on about. :)

carloz
03/11/2009, 8:27 PM
Speaking of Anders Frisk, i met him at the IFK Göteborg v ÅIK Stockholm title decider on Sunday. 'Howya Anders, cheers for those two penalties by the way. You got it spot on.'

He knew exactly what I was on about. :)

I am sure he has got many a pint from Irish fans for those decisions. If we had won the game he could have retired on those decisions

IsMiseSean
03/11/2009, 8:55 PM
He had a shocker tonight... Gave a penalty that wasn't and ruled out a perfectly good goal!!

wallis
03/11/2009, 8:59 PM
This guy is clearly not up to the job on tonights performance. Obvious that once he realised he had given a rubbish penalty goal he did everything he could to level it up and disallowed a terrific goal from Pato.

elroy
03/11/2009, 9:05 PM
I am sure he has got many a pint from Irish fans for those decisions. If we had won the game he could have retired on those decisions

In fairness the second pen was def a pen, although many refs would not have given it. Hierro had the shirt off Quinnys back.
The first pen was a nice bit of opportunism by Duff but hardly a bad decision.

Brian Boru
03/11/2009, 10:13 PM

absolutely. Dodgy peno that night. O shea had a word with red at half time and the crowd was very partisan and angry that night and we influenced the ref!

The German ref seems solid but I'd be very worried about the Swede. Particularly it been the second leg and away from home.

geysir
03/11/2009, 10:40 PM
On first look I thought it was a penalty and a good decision from the ref but I kinda wanted Milan to have a penalty. Overall he did all right in a niggly game.
There was a stonewall penalty at Old Trafford not given.
Sh´t happens, as long as it doesn't happen to us.

Closed Account 2
03/11/2009, 11:17 PM
Was Frisk ref when we conceeded a soft penalty 10 years ago in Euro2000 play off home to Turkey ?

I seem to remember it was a blond ref with sort of floppy hair, and I can only think of Frisk in terms of that.

DeLorean
04/11/2009, 10:01 AM
Was Frisk ref when we conceeded a soft penalty 10 years ago in Euro2000 play off home to Turkey ?

I seem to remember it was a blond ref with sort of floppy hair, and I can only think of Frisk in terms of that.

You remember correct (http://www.rte.ie/news/1999/1113/sport.html) Edmundo, didn't realise it myself.

youngirish
04/11/2009, 12:27 PM

Soft maybe but a stonewall penalty nonetheless. Lee Carsley playing handball in the box even though the ball wasn't within 10 yards of a Turkish player. We looked favourites to qualify until he gave Turkey that lifeline. Donkey.

Pity Dunphy doesn't remember such occasions when he keeps championing him as some great player that should waltz into the Irish team even though he's 36, playing for Birmingham and never was much use for us when given the chance.

Wolfie
04/11/2009, 12:42 PM
............ while Michael Weiner takes the fourth official duties.

Typical FIFA cronyism.

There's absolutely no way that this bloke should be allowed any officiating role in such a crucial game.

I mean, what has he done since Death Wish??

as_i_say
05/11/2009, 7:55 AM
Apparently he's a right son of a Brych.

OwlsFan
05/11/2009, 8:09 AM

Short memory :p. He also gave us the peno against Spain in 2002 when many a ref would have turned a blind eye to it when Quinn was having his jersey tugged.

magnumpi
05/11/2009, 9:46 AM
Short memory :p. He also gave us the peno against Spain in 2002 when many a ref would have turned a blind eye to it when Quinn was having his jersey tugged.

i think you misunderstand, he was saying he could only think of Frisk being a ref with floppy blond hair, not his only recollection of Frisk.

Supreme feet
05/11/2009, 9:53 AM
Soft maybe but a stonewall penalty nonetheless. Lee Carsley playing handball in the box even though the ball wasn't within 10 yards of a Turkish player. We looked favourites to qualify until he gave Turkey that lifeline. Donkey.

Pity Dunphy doesn't remember such occasions when he keeps championing him as some great player that should waltz into the Irish team even though he's 36, playing for Birmingham and never was much use for us when given the chance.

Finally! I have vivid memories of Lee Carsley being no use whatsoever for us. People complain about us not being able to retain possession in midfield these days, but it was the same back in McCarthy's day when Roy Keane was unfit/suspended (I refer chiefly to Croatia, Malta and Macedonia away in 1999and most of the 1998 WC qualifiers) and under Kerr during the 2004 EC qualifiers.

Carsley made little impression back then. He put a bit of much-needed steel back into the midfield under Staunton, but generally, he was no more effective than Andrews or Whelan have been thus far. I actually thought Colin Healy and Stephen McPhail were hard done by when Carsley was picked ahead of them for the 2002 WC squad. Anyone else remember the outcry for McPhail to be fast-tracked ahead of Holland, Kinsella and Carsley, simply because he was a half-decent passer of the ball?

Drumcondra 69er
05/11/2009, 11:24 AM

That's rubbish, ball to hand, he was sliding across and was unfortunate, I've seen them given but I've seen many waved away, no way could you call it stonewall. And Carsley was a decent player for Ireland, nothing spectacular but he was solid and filled in well when required. His main problem was that he wasn't Roy Keane and it was generally him he had to fill in for when RK was injured / couldn't be arsed turning up.

youngirish
05/11/2009, 11:48 AM
That's rubbish, ball to hand, he was sliding across and was unfortunate, I've seen them given but I've seen many waved away, no way could you call it stonewall. And Carsley was a decent player for Ireland, nothing spectacular but he was solid and filled in well when required. His main problem was that he wasn't Roy Keane and it was generally him he had to fill in for when RK was injured / couldn't be arsed turning up.

I'm afraid you are the one talking rubbish D69 you need to take those green tinted glasses off and put them back in the drawer - summer's over.

He was lying on the ground and the ball hit his hand but he then proceeded to scoop the ball up using his arm instead of trying to minimise the contact as much as possible at which point it fell to Breen from my memory who punted it away. Definite penalty needleesly given away.

SkStu
05/11/2009, 1:25 PM
I'm afraid you are the one talking rubbish D69 you need to take those green tinted glasses off and put them back in the drawer - summer's over.

He was lying on the ground and the ball hit his hand but he then proceeded to scoop the ball using his arm instead of trying to minimise the contact as much as possible at which point it fell to Breen from my memory who punted it away. Definite penalty needleesly given away.

this is how i remember it too.

endabob1
05/11/2009, 1:28 PM
These appointments make me nervous & make baby Jesus cry

Drumcondra 69er
05/11/2009, 6:44 PM

He was lying on the ground and the ball hit his hand but he then proceeded to scoop the ball up using his arm instead of trying to minimise the contact as much as possible at which point it fell to Breen from my memory who punted it away. Definite penalty needleesly given away.

Don't recall a second contact with his hand on the ball, think I was too gutted after the match to go looking for it on tv after though. Always thought he was unfortunate though and that he didn't know much about it albeit that his arm was raised. Anyone any footage of it online?

OwlsFan
06/11/2009, 7:19 AM
i think you misunderstand, he was saying he could only think of Frisk being a ref with floppy blond hair, not his only recollection of Frisk.

Was he not saying that all he remembers Frisk for is awarding the peno against us in the Turkey game. I remember him awarding the peno for us in the Spanish game.

As for the peno in the former, it was a sickener. Not deliberate but plenty contact and they are usually given. Huge shame we couldn't make a major final because of something that was an accident. It wasn't something the Turks created. Just one of those things.

I don't think Carsley is any better than what we have at the moment but he's not much worse either.

Réiteoir
18/11/2009, 10:45 PM
sounds ominous...... last minute dodgy decision awarded in favour of the home side. not what we wanna see in paris.

Quoted for truth